End of the road for San Diego

YoloinOhio

Fans never filled the stadium anyway. Always more opposing fans.

this year, yes. Because they weren't good and because they knew what was coming. They actually were high in season ticket sales (second to buffalo maybe) but then sold them all in the secondary market after they were atrocious. They just felt like - why support the team if they are leaving? Imagine if the Bills were 2-8 and planning to move.. There would be no one there. Plus they loathe mike McCoy. Edited by YoloinOhio

this year, yes. Because they weren't good and because they knew what was coming. They actually were high in season ticket sales (second to buffalo maybe) but then sold them all in the secondary market after they were atrocious. They just felt like - why support the team if they are leaving? Imagine if the Bills were 2-8 and planning to move.. There would be no one there. Plus they loathe mike McCoy.

The way the Bills play they might as well be 2-8

No one will be there in 2016. Too many legal issues. None of them at the owners meeting this week has prepared adequately to make the case for this year. Possibly next year. San Diego has a vote this June for the new stadium there.

Rams make the most sense as Kronkey has the money, the land, and the opportunity with a year to year lease. He is the second richest owner alone without his wife's family money. They will be in LA in 2017 or 18.

Davis doesn't have the capital. Spanos is all about what the city does for him this summer. I hate to see relocation too. I'd rather see a significant expansion including LA and any other emerging markets to help the NFL continue to grow. Everyone wins. Who knows? There is LA x 2, Mexico City, a city in Canada, and even London.

My 10 year belief is the only way for a Europe expansion is creating a whole new division so enough ground swell to have 4 teams in Europe. That would give them 6 games in their continent. How can a west coast US team play a Europe team without consequence.

I've lived in San Diego for over 6 years. There's no fan support here, the stadium is absolute trash, and the tailgating is boring as hell. Even when they're good no one cares

Propaganda?

Jack Murphy stadium is a gem. I loved skating down those spiral ramps.

I can tailgate at a swim meet and have fun.

Imo

Rams make the most sense as Kronkey has the money, the land, and the opportunity with a year to year lease. He is the second richest owner alone without his wife's family money. They will be in LA in 2017 or 18.

Davis doesn't have the capital. Spanos is all about what the city does for him this summer. I hate to see relocation too. I'd rather see a significant expansion including LA and any other emerging markets to help the NFL continue to grow. Everyone wins. Who knows? There is LA x 2, Mexico City, a city in Canada, and even London.

I think the Rams would be happy to share stadium with Raiders or Chargers like Giants share with Jets. They own the stadium, the surrounding properties which they are developing and the AFC team brings in customers during weeks the Rams are not playing and only get a share of concessions having to use Rams' dedicated suppliers.

There aren't enough quarterbacks ;)

I am uncompassionate... They stole our basketball team and didn't shed a tear. The two fans will get over it in San Diego.

You beat me to it. Turnabout is fair play. They deprived me of rooting for Randy Smith, who really was something to see in the 1970s.

EDIT: I lived in San Diego too. I have to say it's a good football town. Folks can rip San Diego all they want for not supporting the Clippers/former Braves, or not supporting the Padres despite having a truly great ballpark. But they know and love their football. Sad to see them almost certainly lose the Chargers (who they also stole!)

Edited by The Frankish Reich

You beat me to it. Turnabout is fair play. They deprived me of rooting for Randy Smith, who really was something to see in the 1970s.

EDIT: I lived in San Diego too. I have to say it's a good football town. Folks can rip San Diego all they want for not supporting the Clippers/former Braves, or not supporting the Padres despite having a truly great ballpark. But they know and love their football. Sad to see them almost certainly lose the Chargers (who they also stole!)

Weren't the Chargers originally in LA? Then moved to SD in the early AFL days?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

My 10 year belief is the only way for a Europe expansion is creating a whole new division so enough ground swell to have 4 teams in Europe. That would give them 6 games in their continent. How can a west coast US team play a Europe team without consequence.

Ewww. That has to create a lot ****ty football. Diluted the league further than it already is to that extent when we can only produce 10-15 quality qb's now? Ew. I think the NFL has reached it's zenith. More and more kids will slowly never get to play football going forward. The result of so many harsh injuries as a primary culprit. A lot of parents will never let their kids play football. I just don't see expansion like you wish. And even a London team should have to play on both of our coasts.

The only move that makes any sense is Jacksonville to LA. There is no need for three teams in Florida. Only Tampa consistently draws fans. San Diego and St. Louis are fine NFL cities.

And the Raiders should play in Levi stadium. It is criminal for Oakland to pay for a stadium when there is a brand new facility right down the road. While I don't want to see the Raiders move from Oakland to LA, the citizens of Oakland should not pay a dime to keep them.

:(

Sorry but this sucks IMO. I hate to see a city lose a team.

We all knew it was coming but here we go.

@UTKevinAcee: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell just said it appears San Diego will not be able to present a viable plan in time to keep the #Chargers.

I wish Rivers didn't sign that contract

Not just QBs, expansion would hurt the overall quality of the game. Not enough good players at any position. I already feel like the game has suffered due to past expansion.

That is why the NFL is so keen to grow the game in Europe - it sees it as a potential new source of talent. American Football is percentage wise the fastest growing participation sport in the United Kingdom over the last 5 years.... however, the fact is that there is no infrastructure so it is still at very much an amateur level. The idea that the UK will start producing anything more than our usual trickle of NFL standard players in he next 5-10 years is fanciful in my view. What would really help is a breakout British star. Maybe that is Jay Ajayi? I'm not sure.

No one will be there in 2016. Too many legal issues. None of them at the owners meeting this week has prepared adequately to make the case for this year. Possibly next year. San Diego has a vote this June for the new stadium there.

The league is so waterdowned now, it is barely watchable. You could count on your two hands the teams that have a viable NFL caliber QB on their roster. Not sure if expansion would be best for the game, but yes it is probably the easiest way to line the owners pockets so I could definately see it happening.

That SUCKS !! With all the history that the Bolts have it just won't be right !!

If they do move L.A. shouldn't be able to use the chargers name or uni's they should come up with their own crap so when the team leaves L.A. again the city of San Diego can get another expansion team like cleveland did & they can have their history along with the name & uni's back .

I wish L.A. would go piss up a rope ! Even though the Bills are no longer in this conversation i can't stand L.A. , it's almost as bad as Dallas :sick: !!

That SUCKS !! With all the history that the Bolts have it just won't be right !!

If they do move L.A. shouldn't be able to use the chargers name or uni's they should come up with their own crap so when the team leaves L.A. again the city of San Diego can get another expansion team like cleveland did & they can have their history along with the name & uni's back .

I wish L.A. would go piss up a rope ! Even though the Bills are no longer in this conversation i can't stand L.A. , it's almost as bad as Dallas :sick: !!

They're going back to being the LA Chargers, like they were in the beginning days of the AFL.

• 4 weeks later...