Edelman fractures bone in left foot, requires surgery

cantankerous

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amendola will easily pickup the slack replacing edelman.

They are different players.

Edelman is tougher and has better short-area quickness.

Amendola is a better route runner and has better deep speed.

I do think it's odd timing that Welker signs with St. Louis the week before Edelman goes out with an injury...they might have tried to bring him back.

For the record, I think Edelman could go on IR-DTR

They are different players.

Edelman is tougher and has better short-area quickness.

Amendola is a better route runner and has better deep speed.

I do think it's odd timing that Welker signs with St. Louis the week before Edelman goes out with an injury...they might have tried to bring him back.

For the record, I think Edelman could go on IR-DTR

from what I read, they need to keep him on the 53 if they want him for the playoffs. They used their boomerang on Stork Edited by YoloinOhio

Does it matter? With Brady at QB they will put in player X at WR and he will have 100 yards receiving

The big difference is that they can't put both he and Amendola on the field at the same time. Slot corner is one of the most difficult positions in football, and when you need two guys to play it well, it's harder than Chinese algebra.

Without Edelman, they're basically down to one slot WR, which makes a huge difference.

Think of it this way: you were in a position where you couldn't match Darby against Edelman and Gilmore against Gronk without leaving Robey 1-on-1 with Amendola, who's beaten him up in the past. Now, Rex can match Gilmore against Gronk and Darby against Amendola all over the field.

Does it matter? With Brady at QB they will put in player X at WR and he will have 100 yards receiving

Also, they are getting two O lineman and Jamie Collins back from injury this week. I wouldn't be doing back flips about their injury status right now. They will be a healthier overall team when they play us than they were this week.

My son went too collage with Edelman . Just before that play when he got hurt, I told my son boy I wish he had not got drafted by the Cheaters. I also said maybe he will be hurt so we don't have to worry about him next week. So I guess I will take the credit for his injury. No kidding the next play BANG he went down. So I can say is GO BILLS beat the cheaters.

Curious - what does your son think of him as a person - did he actually know him?

Also, they are getting two O lineman and Jamie Collins back from injury this week. I wouldn't be doing back flips about their injury status right now. They will be a healthier overall team when they play us than they were this week.

Collins is a difference-maker for sure. The OLmen, well, it almost doesn't matter in terms of the passing game since Brady is pretty much is own pass protection.

The Giants D played well, but Eli Manning was "good Eli" yesterday. That was big. Taylor can't afford to be completely ineffective for about half the game. When E. Manning is on, he's a pretty good QB. I don't think Taylor has reached that level yet.

True. He can't do what Eli do.

Not yet anyway.

The big difference is that they can't put both he and Amendola on the field at the same time. Slot corner is one of the most difficult positions in football, and when you need two guys to play it well, it's harder than Chinese algebra.

Without Edelman, they're basically down to one slot WR, which makes a huge difference.

Think of it this way: you were in a position where you couldn't match Darby against Edelman and Gilmore against Gronk without leaving Robey 1-on-1 with Amendola, who's beaten him up in the past. Now, Rex can match Gilmore against Gronk and Darby against Amendola all over the field.

Considering no one person can cover Gronk, I'd rather have Gilmore stay on the outside. Gronk always "gets his" so I'd rather not waste him on trying to limit his effectiveness. I'd shadow Amendola with one of the two CBs, though.

Edited by stony

Considering no one person can cover Gronk, I'd rather have Gilmore stay on the outside. Gronk always "gets his" so I'd rather not waste him on trying to limit his effectiveness.

I forgot what the exact numbers were, but I believe Gilmore had Gronk 1-on-1 several times in Week 2 and did not allow a catch. Darby had him several times as well, and allowed only 1 catch--granted it was a big one down the seam, but also a perfect throw.

I forgot what the exact numbers were, but I believe Gilmore had Gronk 1-on-1 several times in Week 2 and did not allow a catch. Darby had him several times as well, and allowed only 1 catch--granted it was a big one down the seam, but also a perfect throw.

It'll be interesting to see how Leodis factors into the game-plan this week as well. He provides flexibility if they do decide to put 24 on Gronk.

Where did you read that 2 olinemen are coming back? Everything I have heard states that MAYBE they get one back....

It'll be interesting to see how Leodis factors into the game-plan this week as well. He provides flexibility if they do decide to put 24 on Gronk.

The addition of McKelvin and subtraction of Edelman has the potential to make a big difference, yeah.

I still think you match Gilmore to Gronk (you can also use Bradham to bang Gronk at the LOS if you want to slow him down) and Darby to Amendola. I think this is a good game to use Rambo in a big nickel all game, which allows you to keep McKelvin on the field at safety, and walk him up to cover LaFell or Dobson on the boundary.

This might not be a game where Robey sees the field a whole lot. I think you pull Rambo off the field when NE goes to '12', and put Lawson on Chandler.

Bills fans and coaches, including Mr. Ryan, ought to figure out how to beat this team when they're at full strength. If your only hope is injuries, that's no achievement or feather in anyone's cap. And it insults this team and the organization. Also, it won't get us very far in the playoffs should we make it.

blah, blah, blah..

Do you think we haven't tried to beat this team over the length of Brady's career? Do you think the 27 other teams haven't tried to beat this team over the length of brady's career? I hate them more than any other sports team ever, but they are an Other-worldly team.

Your arguement had been echoed a thousand times. It Can't Be Done. Here's a new arguement. Save all our key players for safety reasons for the rest of the season after this game. Just play our scrubs. % chance of victory = 0.3 either way.

Every team has injuries. You play the hand you're dealt.

No one felt sorry for us because we lost McCoy, Sammy, Tyrod, Karlos, Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams or even Mario this last week.

No tears for Edelman or any other Patriot that goes down.

If we win - great, but no one will think we're better than the Pats because of it, just like no one believes the Jaguars are better than the Bills because of their win.

The season is a marathon and you play it one week at a time and try to win each as they come. The margin for error is soooo slim - must minimize penalties and turnovers on offense and get some pics and fumbles on ST and Defense.

Lucky is getting the Cowboys with Cassel or Weeden, but we'll probably draw Romo - play 'em as they come. We're good enough that we should be in every game and have at least a 50-50 chance weekly.

Bills fans and coaches, including Mr. Ryan, ought to figure out how to beat this team when they're at full strength. If your only hope is injuries, that's no achievement or feather in anyone's cap. And it insults this team and the organization. Also, it won't get us very far in the playoffs should we make it.

Chandler already spoke on this but I want to elaborate further....

This line of thinking is asinine. If the Bills won Super Bowl 25 would you have cared that they beat Hostetler? Do you think the Pats* care that they beat the Cowboys this year without Romo? Do you think the Jags care they beat EJ? At the end of the year wins are wins and losses are losses. Yesterday they discussed the last Pats* loss being against the Bills. They didn't mention that half the team was resting. Wins count the same if you beat the team at full strength or if you beat half the team. Bottom line at the end of the year you beat a team or not. So much of football is catching a team at the right time. Look at the Cardinals with Palmer and without him last year. If you played the Chiefs early in the year it was a much easier game than it is now. If you played the Cowboys before Romo's injury it was a much different game. If you got the Fins with Philbin you got an easier game than they are now.

Can we put this "argument" to bed once and for all. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are if you win you win. The pats* have cheated their way to multiple super bowls. They won them and the league isn't taking them away. Winning is winning period. Injuries are part of the game and I'm sure Pats* players aren't thinking well they don't have their starting DT or S so this win doesn't count as much. Do you think the Pats* would be upset if Sammy, Tyrod, and Shady couldn't play because it is insulting to the team and organization.

Man I hate this argument so much I don't even know if my point makes any sense lol.

And let me guess, Everyone should get a participation trophy too? Screw that, it's football, go out and win and hopefully Brady gets slammed and is out the rest of the game>! A win is a win and I could care less who gets hurt on New England..

Curious - what does your son think of him as a person - did he actually know him?

Yes he did know him, they didnt hang out or anything but they were both at Kent State. My son says he was a decent kid. He says that towards the end of school he was starting to get a little bit of a big head.

But he still was a decent guy. They have not talk since the graduation so he does not know if he is still a decent guy or not. Side note James Harrison came too Kent for a time to be honored and he was a real idiot At the same time Gates came back to get his basketball jersey retired and he was a very nice guy. Because He was Sports Management major he was helping with both times and got to talk to both players.

I think the loss of Edelman is going to be very tough on the effectiveness of the offensive system of McDaniels. They haven't actually replaced Lewis yet (who had replaced Vereen) out of the backfield and they don't have another player like Edelman. Amendola is a good player but not really someone I see in that role.

Perhaps Brady will overcome it and I don't think anyone will be surprised if he does with his history. But to think they will "easily" just roll the next guy in there with the same result is a stretch IMO.

The addition of McKelvin and subtraction of Edelman has the potential to make a big difference, yeah.

I still think you match Gilmore to Gronk (you can also use Bradham to bang Gronk at the LOS if you want to slow him down) and Darby to Amendola. I think this is a good game to use Rambo in a big nickel all game, which allows you to keep McKelvin on the field at safety, and walk him up to cover LaFell or Dobson on the boundary.

This might not be a game where Robey sees the field a whole lot. I think you pull Rambo off the field when NE goes to '12', and put Lawson on Chandler.

Excellent posts, Bandit.. i'd like to add that we still have to plan on seeing those multiple slot formations. i doubt the Pats will abandon some favorite selections from their playlist, because their keyboard player jammed his hand in the limo door. ;) we'll see them, if only to force us to commit coverage to account for them - regardless of the actual threat player X might do from them. starting tomorrow, i'd expect Belichick to practice 2-3 skill guys there, in order to get the best complement to existing personnel - on a per situation basis. who's in the huddle in future weeks could tip their intentions - unless they have a super-sub who can show he can handle the diversity of plays that Edelman can - but for our game, we'll have little to go on regarding what this new player brings. So, i'm thinking that our coaches shouldn't get too far ahead of themselves in their D gameplan. play it as if it was #11, and don't cheat coverages elsewhere until the Pats show they have no good answer for that second slot player.

When Tainted Tom says "so and so is too good to just put someone else in" - imo it is usually far from the truth.

i think he was being pretty honest. They probably can acclimate someone else by the time the playoffs start but players like that- where timing and knowledge of the system is so critical for it to work - are not plug and play. Outside WRs are a little easier.

Edelman has turned into a really good player. He isn't as tall or fast as some others but he has been just as deadly to the Bills as Gronk. He's like Hogan, always open, but he has more quickness and has been around longer so he has more of an idea how to be effective. We would love this guy if he was on the Bills.

There really is no one who can take his place. Amendola was supposed to be the new Welker. That hasn't worked out partly because Edelman got so many targets so Amendola got less, but that also reflects the fact Edelman is a better player than Amendola.

I think the Bills could legitimately try double covering Gronk, putting Robey or Darby on Amendola, and seeing how things go. Could be a major upset in the making.

Edelman is a truly great player.

On the Patriots.

I think on other teams he would be Chris Hogan (not that Chris Hogan could be Edelman on the Patriots, he couldn't.)

Edelman is extremely quick and extremely tough and extremely good at making catches and holding the ball when he is being smacked. That doesn't work on any other team if you cannot get him the ball so quickly and so very accurately like ONLY Brady can. If you don't throw the ball tight and fast and right on the money Edelman isn't half as effective as he is.

But he's got amazing hands and toughness and quickness. No one else could do what he does on the Pats either. Amendola can't. Welker could when he was there. And he's a little better receiver and a little bigger target than Edelman. Edelman is so friggin' quick though. Welker excelled for one year on the Broncos because that was still when Manning was extremely accurate, too.

Edelman has turned into a really good player. He isn't as tall or fast as some others but he has been just as deadly to the Bills as Gronk. He's like Hogan, always open, but he has more quickness and has been around longer so he has more of an idea how to be effective. We would love this guy if he was on the Bills.

There really is no one who can take his place. Amendola was supposed to be the new Welker. That hasn't worked out partly because Edelman got so many targets so Amendola got less, but that also reflects the fact Edelman is a better player than Amendola.

I think the Bills could legitimately try double covering Gronk, putting Robey or Darby on Amendola, and seeing how things go. Could be a major upset in the making.

belichik would do that. I have no doubt he will double Watkins. He doubled OBJ yesterday and Brandon Marshall when the played the Jets. The Bills should take away their best guy too and make Amendola, lafell, Dobson and whoever else beat them. If they do, good for them, but those guys don't scare anyone to the same degree as Edelman did and Gronk does. If they are going to beat you anyway with Gronk, you might as well see if they can do it without Gronk. Edited by YoloinOhio

Agreed. To wish injury on a player is revolting and truly bad form.

I hope he has gonorrhea.

Your such a dog, and Herpes is a gift that keeps giving forever. Gonorrhea goes away with some antibiotics. For the record, I was in pharma 16 years ago and sold antibiotics and anti virals back then so no other correlation. :D

I actually think we would have had a shot if they knocked out Gronk too. Just temporarily for the PC police. No one wants anyone seriously hurt or problems with their career. Just out for our game. Is that wrong?

Look for LaFell and as others have said Amendola to get more targets. The Bills didn't cover Gronk at all in the first meeting, so maybe they will try to do that this time.

Seriously, Edelman being out does nothing to make me feel the Bills have a better chance. The entire Oline could go down for NE and some how BB and Brady would figure out a way to still produce.

Look for LaFell and as others have said Amendola to get more targets. The Bills didn't cover Gronk at all in the first meeting, so maybe they will try to do that this time.

Seriously, Edelman being out does nothing to make me feel the Bills have a better chance. The entire Oline could go down for NE and some how BB and Brady would figure out a way to still produce.

It absolutely makes a difference.

The OLmen being out isn't as big because Brady is incredibly decisive and accurate. Not having his most reliable short-area target--the one that he most frequently throws his quick-release passes to--changes the dynamic.