Predictions: Bills v. Jets

It'll take a perfect game by us, and for us to not commit many penalties. The Jets will be prepared, and have home field advantage.

While I think the Bills have more talent, I think the Jets are better coached. The Bills also have a history of showing up small on the national stage.

I want to predict the Bills will win a tight one, but I can't help but feel like the Jets are going to dominate us, because we'll keep screwing ourselves with dumb penalties, and stupid play calls.

Bills 10

Jets 27

No. It won't. You're giving the Jets way too much credit. The Jaguars almost beat them and lost the turnover battle 4-0. The Bills just need to limit the mistakes.

The only team we need to play PERFECTLY against to have any chance of winning is the Pats.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he can't. Watkins got open against Revis a lot last year, the QB just couldn't get the ball to him. Revis, although still very good, is on the decline.

With all due respect, I'll take Rex Ryan's assessment over yours and he just said Revis is playing this year as well as he ever has, and that he remains the best Ryan has ever seen.

With all due respect, I'll take Rex Ryan's assessment over yours and he just said Revis is playing this year as well as he ever has, and that he remains the best Ryan has ever seen.

That's fine, but would you actually expect Rex not to compliment the guy who is basically his favorite player.

So different that we're doing the same things this year as we have in the past? Injury excuses, dumb penalties, poor game planning, shrinking in 'national'* games? Sure the pieces are different, but at .500 we haven't really changed the results yet. Hopefully Rex and co can turn things around, though.

*NYG @ Buffalo was shown in most of the country, Buf vs Jags was the only morning football game, so I'm counting those as national in a sense. Pats @ Buf had a boat load of media build up in advance.

I'm sorry, but losing 2 games to undefeated teams and 2 when missing 4 offensive starters isn't anything to be ashamed of IMO.

If you truly feel that this version of the team is the same as the last 15, then we simply do not and will not see eye to eye on this subject.

That's fair...the fact of the matter is that Sammy didn't really struggle getting open against Revis last year, so unless he's playing significantly better football, there's no reason to think that Sammy won't continue to get open against him this year (especially when guys like Cooper and Robinson have shown the ability to do so in consecutive weeks).

I'm sorry, but losing 2 games to undefeated teams and 2 when missing 4 offensive starters isn't anything to be ashamed of IMO.

If you truly feel that this version of the team is the same as the last 15, then we simply do not and will not see eye to eye on this subject.

That's fair...the fact of the matter is that Sammy didn't really struggle getting open against Revis last year, so unless he's playing significantly better football, there's no reason to think that Sammy won't continue to get open against him this year (especially when guys like Cooper and Robinson have shown the ability to do so in consecutive weeks).

Same thing, different year. We need to beat good teams, and overcome injuries. This week is a good test. We have a couple injuries still, and the Jets are a pretty solid team. We win this game, and I'll start believing again. We lose this game, and I'll continue to see the same results as years past.

Same thing, different year. We need to beat good teams, and overcome injuries. This week is a good test. We have a couple injuries still, and the Jets are a pretty solid team. We win this game, and I'll start believing again. We lose this game, and I'll continue to see the same results as years past.

Name me one team that is going to win games without their starting QB, #1 WR, top 2 RBs, 2 other speed WRs, and 40% of their offensive line.

Then go ahead and name the teams that have beaten NE and Cincinnati.

We don't need to beat any one specific team until January. What we need to do is find a way to win 6 of our last 8 games. You'll never find a single team apologizing for beating "bad" teams on the way to a playoff berth.

Fitz is still nursing a bad throwing hand, so the secondary should get their opportunities.

My fear (as with most weeks this season) Will be the increasingly embarrassing officiating, and the refs piling onto us, especially on a national stage. Its hard enough to beat a decent NFL team like the Jets and beat the officials, simultaneously...

Jets-23

Beeews-16

Name me one team that is going to win games without their starting QB, #1 WR, top 2 RBs, 2 other speed WRs, and 40% of their offensive line.

Then go ahead and name the teams that have beaten NE and Cincinnati.

We don't need to beat any one specific team until January. What we need to do is find a way to win 6 of our last 8 games. You'll never find a single team apologizing for beating "bad" teams on the way to a playoff berth.

NE went like 11-5 with Meh as QB, and yes they missed the playoffs... but the point stands, they had a legitimately good team, good depth, and good coaching to make up for losing a HoF QB.

This isn't about other teams being able to overcome it, it's about the Bills. Every year we have the excuse of injuries, or penalties, or bad coaching, or whatever, you name it. I'm tired of the !@#$ing excuses. A good team finds a way to win games.

Am I being hard on the team? Yes. Are my expectations pretty tough? Yes. But I'm also tired of 15 years of excuses. There's always a good excuse and "maybe next year".

NE went like 11-5 with Meh as QB, and yes they missed the playoffs... but the point stands, they had a legitimately good team, good depth, and good coaching to make up for losing a HoF QB.

This isn't about other teams being able to overcome it, it's about the Bills. Every year we have the excuse of injuries, or penalties, or bad coaching, or whatever, you name it. I'm tired of the !@#$ing excuses. A good team finds a way to win games.

Am I being hard on the team? Yes. Are my expectations pretty tough? Yes. But I'm also tired of 15 years of excuses. There's always a good excuse and "maybe next year".

NE wasn't also missing Randy Moss, Laurence Maroney, Kevin Faulk, etc. They had a team that was coming off of a Superbowl appearance and lost a single player. They started the same OL unit for 14 out of 16 games. The two situations aren't even close to the same.

You can chalk it up to excuses; I chalk it up to reality. You seem to expect EJ, Boom, Boobie, Hogan, Easley, Urbik, and Kouandjio/Mills to play as well as Taylor, Shady, Karlos, Sammy, Harvin, Miller, and Henderson--I think that's massively unrealistic.

NE wasn't also missing Randy Moss, Laurence Maroney, Kevin Faulk, etc. They had a team that was coming off of a Superbowl appearance and lost a single player. They started the same OL unit for 14 out of 16 games. The two situations aren't even close to the same.

You can chalk it up to excuses; I chalk it up to reality. You seem to expect EJ, Boom, Boobie, Hogan, Easley, Urbik, and Kouandjio/Mills to play as well as Taylor, Shady, Karlos, Sammy, Harvin, Miller, and Henderson--I think that's massively unrealistic.

The difference between Brady and Cassel is much greater than the starters we lost and the players that replaced them, even combined. But that's really the point, they had a TEAM of good players and coaches to make up for the fact that they lost their star player.

And while I don't expect the Bills backups to play *as well* as the starters, I do expect them to play well enough to not lose to ****ty teams during that time, if they're truly a good team. The Jags game was inexcusable.

Like I said, I know I'm being harsh, and I understand the reality, but if we want to make claims to being a good team, we need to beat other good teams when healthy, and beat bad teams even when we're not.

Fitz is still nursing a bad throwing hand, so the secondary should get their opportunities.

My fear (as with most weeks this season) Will be the increasingly embarrassing officiating, and the refs piling onto us, especially on a national stage. Its hard enough to beat a decent NFL team like the Jets and beat the officials, simultaneously...

Jets-23

Beeews-16

It's not his throwing hand.

Jets-23

Beeews-16

Actually, the torn ligaments are in his non-throwing hand.

Here's a game that the Bills should win. They have been a problematic matchup for the Jests for the last two years, they are more talented over all and absolutely need this one. For these reasons, they will lose and effectively end their season at the half way point.

What!?! Those ain't no kinda reasons, you may be saying to yourself. Deep down you suspect that they will play stupid, the Jests will play flawlessly, and Friday morning everyone will be wondering where key players disappeared to when they were needed the most. Because it's the Bills.

On the bright side, we can blame it on the uniforms.

20-13 Jests

Overall, tough game, close game - the Bills pull it out 27-23

Bills on Offense - Positives

- Bills averaging over 4.8 yards per carry, while Jets giving up only 3.8 but The Bills have a great tandem at RB and Taylor as the wild card - will be successful enough

- Outside of Revis, the Jets secondary is still problematic - the Bills WRs are better than the Jets DBs; I expect Woods to have good success; Watkins can beat Revis enough to make a difference as Revis reputation is greater than his production at this point.

- Look for Clay to have a big game - the Jets LBs struggle in coverage. Get McCoy the ball in the passing game.

Concerns - Can Roman game plan to effectively slow down the Jets rush and allow them to attack via the air? Using taylor's skills should make the difference. The Bills will need to have early success passing to make the run game effective.

Bills on defense - Positives

- The Bills DB's can handle the Jets WR's

- Bills only allowing 3.9 yards per carry and Jets running game has been bad lately

- The Bills are capable of covering short and keeping plays in front of them, forcing Fitz to make deeper throws, where he is prone to mistakes.

Concerns

- Have they got a plan to cover the screen game better than last week? Better tackling would be a good start.

- Will the Bills big payday players show up and play to potential? They need Dareus to have a good game. They need to get pressure on Fitzpatrick to turn on the TO machine.

- Can they play with emotion while not taking stupid penalties?

General Concern - Penalties and officiating

- Will the Bills eliminate the stupid stuff?

- Will the officials let these teams play, or at least call it even? The Bills, perhaps deservedly so, are not getting any benefit of the doubt based on their reputation at this point. I would love to see a game where the officials do not control the outcome, any game in the NFL at this point.

Once again, I am at a complete loss as to what to expect in this game. For both teams it is extremely important, just like last week. The loser isn't dead, but will be at a significant disadvantage going forward. The Bills can really help themselves with a win here, particularly given their road-heavy upcoming schedule.

I'd like to think the Bills' rejuvenated offense will do some damage and the defense will start to "click" -- but it's impossible to predict.

Once again, I am at a complete loss as to what to expect in this game. For both teams it is extremely important, just like last week. The loser isn't dead, but will be at a significant disadvantage going forward. The Bills can really help themselves with a win here, particularly given their road-heavy upcoming schedule.

I'd like to think the Bills' rejuvenated offense will do some damage and the defense will start to "click" -- but it's impossible to predict.

Bowles' defenses in Arizona really struggled with dual threat QBs and they are really banged up in the secondary. Could be interesting to see how he tries to defend the whole field. The deep ball, running game + QB who can take it the distance with his legs is devastating to game plan against especially if you don't have the horses. Miami often didn't use a spy on TT because of McCoy and Reshad Jones was so worried about Clay he wasn't deep enough to help on Watkins.

There is no doubt in my mind Roman wanted to show off TT's accuracy on the deep ball because if the opponent has to worry about getting beaten over the top it is going to leave something open.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The difference between Brady and Cassel is much greater than the starters we lost and the players that replaced them, even combined. But that's really the point, they had a TEAM of good players and coaches to make up for the fact that they lost their star player.

And while I don't expect the Bills backups to play *as well* as the starters, I do expect them to play well enough to not lose to ****ty teams during that time, if they're truly a good team. The Jags game was inexcusable.

Like I said, I know I'm being harsh, and I understand the reality, but if we want to make claims to being a good team, we need to beat other good teams when healthy, and beat bad teams even when we're not.

Just so I understand this: you are saying that playing half a world away without your starting QB, best WR, 2nd best WR, starting RG, starting RT, backup RT, and No. 2 RB, plus having your starting RB banged up, means you're not a good team if you don't win?

As I said earlier: if that is your stance on this, then we will never agree on the subject.

Here's a game that the Bills should win. They have been a problematic matchup for the Jests for the last two years, they are more talented over all and absolutely need this one. For these reasons, they will lose and effectively end their season at the half way point.

What!?! Those ain't no kinda reasons, you may be saying to yourself. Deep down you suspect that they will play stupid, the Jests will play flawlessly, and Friday morning everyone will be wondering where key players disappeared to when they were needed the most. Because it's the Bills.

On the bright side, we can blame it on the uniforms.

20-13 Jests

Not in the least.

I picked the Jets, and I did so because winning on the road in the Thursday game is always a tall order, as is winning divisional games on the road. For a team that's been banged up, and is facing a physical, well-coached team, the odds are certainly stacked against Buffalo.

Said it in another thread and I will say it here. This Defense lacks discipline and accountability. If the Head coach refuses to correct or remedy the penalty situation why should the players give a rat's ass about their actions. We get torched here 28-17

Just so I understand this: you are saying that playing half a world away without your starting QB, best WR, 2nd best WR, starting RG, starting RT, backup RT, and No. 2 RB, plus having your starting RB banged up, means you're not a good team if you don't win?

As I said earlier: if that is your stance on this, then we will never agree on the subject.

As of that moment, yup.

There's a possibility they could still turn into a good team. It really depends on the players and the coaches, though.

I'm fine with disagreeing. :)

Wouldnt a more revealing comparison be between the teams' offenses and defenses? For instance, I slso think the Bills' RBs are better, but that advantage is negated by the NYJ run defense superiority. In this case, I think the Jets have the run game advantage, not the Bills.

Jets D allows 3.8 ypr. Bills 3.9.

Jets O rushes at a 3.8 ypr. Bills 4.8.

I'd say the Bills likely have the advantage here.

The problem the Bills D will have is stopping the pass, specifically the short, timing routes. If the Bills lose that will be the culprit, at least early. The Jets might be able to salt away the win late vs. a tired D with some crucial runs but I dont think it will be how they put up points.

I have no freaking idea. Nothing would surprise me. Both teams have been inconsistent this year, although the Bills have proven to be able to put up points with a healthy O. As long as we have Henderson/Kunjo ready to play, I think our offense puts up more points than the Jets. Also, Rex could be brining some surprise Blitzes to force Fitz into turnovers. I'd give the Bills a slight advantage in this game, but nothing would surprise me (i.e. OL or LBS not showing up.)

Bills 24 Jets 17

Bills will have trouble in early going but will eventually find their way. I think Clay will have a big game and Sammy will get open deep at least once for a TD. Neither team will be effective running and Fitz will throw a pick to end the game as Jets are driving for a score to tie.

Classic Fitz.

Tough one. Both teams will fight tooth and nail for this game. A lot is at stake.

Everything depends on Gilmore and Darby. If they can stay one on one with Decker and Marshall, we can devote more attention to run defense (but need to watch the screen to Ivory....a la Lamar Miller last game).

Hoping Karlos and Shady are healthy. Establish run against he Jets big uglies and Tyrod should find some open receivers. Jets defense is solid and are due for a big game.

Gonna be close.

34-28 Bills.

Tyrod Taylor leads us down the field with a game winning touchdown on the final drive to win. 24-21.

If I had any faith in the D I'd say this game would be a cakewalk, even on the road. I don't have any faith in the D, however.

Jets 30

Bills 26

I hope this isn't the case as it would effectively end any legitimate playoff chances unless the Bills pulled off a shocker at NE.

Chan will have at least one pass play drawn up where he goes strong right / twins left, sends the slot receiver on a dig to get the attention of our Safety, and sends his SE on a post route against our RCB Gilmore - when he's in man or Cover 1.

Whether he's in press or off coverage, Gilmore will take an inside technique on the receiver and he'll either open up and run right away ( in press), or as soon as his 3 yard cushion is eaten up (when off).

The receiver will then break underneath him, to the post, and Gilmore will execute a speed (or man) turn to catch up.

Now.. this is all technically sound - and Gilmore is executing his coverage as he should - but it seems to be a play that's there to be made every week.

At first i thought he was opening up too soon, but that's not it. He just has a difficult time getting back on the receiver's hip after coming out of his turn.

As a 6' 190lb CB with a 4.4 40 time, this lack of top tier agility against top tier receivers may be the one leak in the boat that keeps him from finding Gilmore Island.