Jets: Fitz is our guy!

YoloinOhio

i wouldn't trade rosters either - just said they were "similar teams" in having talent to make the playoffs except at the QB position. As far as the QBs on both teams - none of them were playoff caliber IMO.

Playoff caliber can be a rangy term. Awful qbs have squeezed out random one off wild cards. Meh was playoff caliber in the right situation with the right bounces but you'd never be a true super bowl contender.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playoff caliber can be a rangy term. Awful qbs have squeezed out random one off wild cards. Meh was playoff caliber in the right situation with the right bounces but you'd never be a true super bowl contender.

yeah, I just don't think any of them were playing well enough or consistently enough in 2014 to lead a team to the playoffs

Been there done that. This story has been written. He is a great guy. Unfortunately he can't maintain.

Pretty sure this story hasnt been written before as every previous story mentions he went to Harvard. So this is like a completely new story.

You can rip him, say that he sucks, blah blah, but there's one thing you can't take away from him. He is the only Buffalo QB aside from Drew Bledsoe who went toe to toe with Brady and beat him (of course not counting Kyle Orton's win over Brady when he didn't care in week 17 last year).

You can rip him, say that he sucks, blah blah, but there's one thing you can't take away from him. He is the only Buffalo QB aside from Drew Bledsoe who went toe to toe with Brady and beat him (of course not counting Kyle Orton's win over Brady when he didn't care in week 17 last year).

So... It didn't amount to anything. It kind of hurt b.c the Bills ended up paying him later.

Edited by Beef Jerky

@SethWalderNYDN: Bowles said Ryan Fitzpatrick is the QB right now, regardless of Geno is healthy or not.

Ah, the sweet innocence of a new head coach admiring Ryan Fitzpatrick after the 2nd win of the season. Chan might sit down with Bowles and say a word.

doubt that. Houston was a similar team in an easier division and he couldn't do it - benched mid season

For a whole 2 games, after which he got his job back until he broke his leg

No surprise here; they aren't going to bench him as long as they are winning. We'll see what happens after he costs them a game or two.

I was talking to a Jets fan friend of mine and told him he's going to LOVE Fitzpatrick...for the first five games.

He responded, "I was going to tell you the same thing about Rex." :lol:

Ah, the sweet innocence of a new head coach admiring Ryan Fitzpatrick after the 2nd win of the season. Chan might sit down with Bowles and say a word.

For a whole 2 games, after which he got his job back until he broke his leg

he got his job back because Mallett got hurt after 1 1/2 games

I always liked the man.

The player... hmmm... I also liked the way he grunted like a pig as he used his entire body to throw deep balls up for grabs.

In the end.......that's the end.

I remember that sinking feeling when I realized that he couldn't throw the deep ball with any control whatsoever and that he was subsequently doomed to fail.

Actually think it was against Rex's Jets.

Wasn't a popular take at the time on TSW.....despite the only evidence to the contrary being javelin tosses to a wide-open TO nearly two years earlier.

I am hoping to never have that moment with Tyrod.

I like Fitz but he just can't make all of the throws and when the defense subsequently tightens up his gunslinger traits and popgun arm lead to disaster.

Chan is a great coordinator, i think time will show he is even better than our well regarded Roman.

I think Chan understands how to use Fitz better than they did in Tenn or Houston. He plays really well with the lead, and tends to be a liability when he needs to come from behind.

With the Jets targets and chan's gamecalling he'll get you 3000 in the air, 78% passer rating, 24 picks, 24 td's, 60% completion percentage.

Not showin off, not falling behind.

Jets d looked scary good. Wish we had paid the money to sign LB harris, what a beast.

he got his job back because Mallett got hurt after 1 1/2 games

*raises eyebrow* Well, Mallet's torn pec was a reason, but keep in mind Mallet played the entire game after having torn it in warmup, and TJax played through a similar injury all season once. Mallet didn't have a torn pec this past Sunday, did he now? My money says O'Brien regrets his decision to fill the Texans backfield with ex-Pat QBs by the end of the year, but we'll see, we'll see.

Chan is a great coordinator, i think time will show he is even better than our well regarded Roman.

I think Chan understands how to use Fitz better than they did in Tenn or Houston. He plays really well with the lead, and tends to be a liability when he needs to come from behind.

Hmmm, well, I always thought Chan was game-planning as though he had Aaron Rodgers out there slinging the rock for him.

Fitz did have a career year for completion percentage, YPA and low INTs last year in Houston. He didn't rack up the passing yardage in their Arian-Foster-First O, but hard to argue Chan got more out of him.

Edited by Hopeful

Good for him. He's just good enough to start in this league and just bad enough to not have a team invest long term in him...

Yeah, right. No team would ever give a guy like that a, say, 6 year, $59 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus!

EDIT: the real question, and it's a serious one -- would the Bills have been better off just letting that Fitz contract play out instead of eating a good part of it, then drafting EJ, then bringing in Orton, Cassel, Tyrod ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Welp, Fitz is now my guy too! With Romo on the shelf I had to go dumpster diving for a new fantasy QB and it's gonna be Fitzgibbons! :thumbsup:

i noticed how the majority of his throws have gone to Marshall and decker and now decker might be out (day to day with sprained knee). They don't have a great TE. Who is next man up as wr2? Kerley? I know they have Devin Smith but he hasn't played yet and I don't see him as a polished route runner (yet) - more of a deep threat. And I don't know how much advantage Fitz can take of a deep threat. Smith is a better fit with Geno.

Basically I'm wondering if I should pick up Kerley.

i noticed how the majority of his throws have gone to Marshall and decker and now decker might be out (day to day with sprained knee). They don't have a great TE. Who is next man up as wr2? Kerley? I know they have Devin Smith but he hasn't played yet and I don't see him as a polished route runner (yet) - more of a deep threat. And I don't know how much advantage Fitz can take of a deep threat. Smith is a better fit with Geno.

Basically I'm wondering if I should pick up Kerley.

Only if your WR situation is as desperate as my QB situation!

OMG

Please stop. He is what he is. By this point in his career with the amount of opportunities he has been given we know what he is.

I am glad the Jets are starting him. He will be decent and he will be good but he will for sure be god awful and and throw horrible picks are crucial periods in the game.

The interesting thing is last year, "Pickspatrick" was well under control with a TD/INT ratio of 2.1 (17 TD, 8 INTs, 2.6% INTs). But when you look under the hood, it's not an even balanced performance season-wide. He had early games where he threw a stupid number of INTs (v. Giants: 3. v. us, 2) IMO O'Brien got on his case for bad decision making, with the result that he started thinking too much and his completion percentage plummeted, leading to benching. He came off the bench and threw a stupid # of TDS (6 v. TEN) and finished the year strong, high completion percentage and no INTs. Every QB has hot and cold games, but evidently benching inspires Fitz?

Be that as it may, I don't think he changed into a different QB with O'Brien, I think the run-first, limit-mistakes system suited his skills and we will see his INT percentage soar again under Gailey. I think he's a cool guy and I'd like to be wrong, but there is that "is what he is" history. Maybe he'll overcome it...but I won't bet the rent.

Yeah, right. No team would ever give a guy like that a, say, 6 year, $59 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus!

EDIT: the real question, and it's a serious one -- would the Bills have been better off just letting that Fitz contract play out instead of eating a good part of it, then drafting EJ, then bringing in Orton, Cassel, Tyrod ...

Some pundit called it. Something like "Fitzpatrick is remarkable for being dumped at QB by team after team which then fail to replace him with someone better." Fitz is tough as nails and smart, and yes, I think you could make a good argument that the Bills could have reno'd his contract on somewhat better terms than they offered, kept him, and been better off with EJ behind him for 2 years than bringing in Kolb (don't forget Kolb), Lewis (don't forget Lewis), TJax, Orton, Cassel etc.- with all the signing bonuses, bath mats, concussions etc we quite arguably spent more money for less play (assuming he would have reno'd to something similar to what we paid Kolb).

Taylor, I think the jury is out. He intrigues me, but anyone expecting him to be SuperQB right out of the box is in for a rough ride, and game-planning to use him effectively is going to be key.

Only if your WR situation is as desperate as my QB situation!

It is. Mike Evans is my #1 WR and he has done NOTHING. Didn't play the 1st week and week 2 had 0 points and 0 catches. I have Golden Tate and Davante Adams. Meh so far, Stevie Johnson has been my most consistent believe it or not.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Without all that we wouldn't have Rex, we wouldn't have Tyrod. Also the Bills would have been 6-10 or worse every year.

Without all that we wouldn't have Rex, we wouldn't have Tyrod. Also the Bills would have been 6-10 or worse every year.

I can't believe people are forgetting how brutal Fitz was here at the end. Blame it on everything but him, sure, but hindsight is 20/20 after seeing his replacements and I sure as heck didn't want keep him at QB.

I think he could maybe get you there... but this start reminds me of the Bills 2011 start where he was winning us games when we were getting 4 plus turnovers per game.

the 2011 Bills had a defense that was atrociously bad, ranking 30th in pts/game (over 27/game). The Jets might very well end up in the top 10 this season, defensively. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

I can't believe people are forgetting how brutal Fitz was here at the end. Blame it on everything but him, sure, but hindsight is 20/20 after seeing his replacements and I sure as heck didn't want keep him at QB.

Primary difference I see between Fitz's time here and after him leaving is that we now have a defense. What would our W/L record have been last season if we had to score 27-30 pts/game on offense?

Edited by bobobonators

Tyrod is about the same size as fitz and has a WAY better arm.

2010 Bills ranked 28th in pts/game against (26.6)

2011 Bills ranked 30th in pts/game against (27.1)

2012 Bills ranked 26th in pts/game against (27.2)

2014 Bills: 18.1 pts/game against

2013 Bills: 24.2 pts/game against

It's not a coincidence we had our first winning season in forever last season when a QB not named Brady/Rodgers/Manning doesn't have to put up close to 30pts a game just to get a win. Fitz is what he is IMO: sometimes good; sometimes bad; overall - average.

If the Jets are able to run the ball effectively and the defense plays at a top 10 level there is a very real chance they could finish 9-7/10-6 with Fitz at QB.