Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think EJ is all that mobile, at least not from what I've seen with the Bills. I would still give him the edge over Cassel.

If you look at him on you tube, EJ was a very good runner in college. In regular season games he looked (imo) clumsy and lumbering, and it's hard to understand why.

I've been desperately hoping to see something outta EJ like many. The fact this happened tells me he just isn't there yet.

As I re-watched all the preseason games, what I noticed is when EJ gets time and a clean pocket he does nice things. When there is a blitz or a pocket break down and he needs to get it out quickly, he struggles.

Further emphasizing the contrast, it was remarkable to me how calm and composed Tyrod looks in the pocket. On one play a blitzer came unblocked off of the corner. Tyrod stepped up and got it out quickly. On another few plays he was buying time outside of the pocket, but didn't have that look of running for his life... (I believe because he knows how much faster and more athletic than any of the front 7 he is...)

What I believe they love about Cassel is the ball is out fast, every time, all the time.

This my friends, foes and EJ supporters looks like the nail in the coffin of EJMs career in buffalo.

Well...Most QB's don't do as well under pressure...Yes the elite one's are better at moving in the pocket to get the pass away...I'll I'll certainly admit EJ has got a bit panicky at times under pressure...I think that's more due to lack of experience than anything...it's growing pains...

But I think I saw an improvement with EJ in that area this preseason...Like the TD pass vs. Carolina when he had to step up out of pressure and delivered a 50+ yard strike...He is getting better...I really believe that...The problem is he landed in a city with very little patience when the entire football world warned the Bills he was a developmental prospect...Then he gets a new coaching staff that has no loyalty to him...Pretty much a lose/lose for EJ...But that's just life... B-)

Top reasons this is great for this board:

1. FireChan - that "Meh Cassell released" thread is indeed a hoot!

2. Reports will indicate Meh took less money to return to the Bills if Whaley went rogue and named him the #2

3. Sully can now troll us with an article about how we failed to bring in a franchise QB after cuts and how this move makes us worse.

4. Meh will surely allow us to introduce a few dozen EJ sucks threads.

5. Less money for Meh to spend with Tahmy at the track

6. We can now resume debating aging vets and their roster value.

7. We can keep saying "Meh."

8. Leroi may still be correct about EJ being cut

9. Cue the Pegula is cheap comments

10. Tyrod can mentor Meh

If you look at him on you tube, EJ was a very good runner in college. In regular season games he looked (imo) clumsy and lumbering, and it's hard to understand why.

Maybe the knee injuries + coaching? Not what I envisioned anyways.

Well...Most QB's don't do as well under pressure...Yes the elite one's are better at moving in the pocket to get the pass away...I'll I'll certainly admit EJ has got a bit panicky at times under pressure...I think that's more due to lack of experience than anything...it's growing pains...

But I think I saw an improvement with EJ in that area this preseason...Like the TD pass vs. Carolina when he had to step up out of pressure and delivered a 50+ yard strike...He is getting better...I really believe that...The problem is he landed in a city with very little patience when the entire football world warned the Bills he was a developmental prospect...Then he gets a new coaching staff that has no loyalty to him...Pretty much a lose/lose for EJ...But that's just life... B-)

For $900k or maybe even $650k off salary cap, I think this is a shrewd move to get Cassel back even though I think EJ improved a lot, too. But it's pretty obvious to me that the team was VERY willing to let Cassel go and go with EJ as the backup and were not sure if they could resign Cassel. Just signing Tanney to the PS is proof they didn't know. The fact that they had to outbid Houston on escalators is more proof. So I don't think their belief in EJ as a potential good player is changed much at all. They just figured that throughout the year QBs get hurt. Are we better off as a team with Cassel for pennies on a one year deal or with a rookie fifth TE?

Maybe we could send Seattle the sixth rounder we got along with Cassel from the Vikings, for our fourth and seventh, and get Fred Jackson back.

The theory being we really wanted to keep Jackson but not at his salary, when we need cash for Dareus. So Jackson messed up Whaley's plan by getting signed, instead of becoming a cheaper version of himself, like Cassel did. So if Jackson is cheaper now, maybe we can afford him. Could be a good move with Shady not at 100%.

Maybe, but this wasn't genius. Standard operating procedure for GM's, they should have done it w Tarvaris too, could have saved some cake.

Its much easier to negotiate a fair salary after you waive someone for a few weeks. Cassel and his agent saw this coming Im sure, hopefully TT rocks it under center and we never see matt take the field.

It's not genius for sure - but it's another brick on the foundation that Whaley is a capable GM. It is much easier to negotiate after someone's cut and it's also fair to say he could have signed elsewhere and his agent surely tried or could have tried. Whaley clearly knew his value and understood the market - because of this Whaley brought him back on his terms - and if it wasn't on his terms would have let him walk. He executed this perfectly.

Maybe we could send Seattle the sixth rounder we got along with Cassel from the Vikings, for our fourth and seventh, and get Fred Jackson back.

The theory being we really wanted to keep Jackson but not at his salary, when we need cash for Dareus. So Jackson messed up Whaley's plan by getting signed, instead of becoming a cheaper version of himself, like Cassel did. So if Jackson is cheaper now, maybe we can afford him. Could be a good move with Shady not at 100%.

IMO if they offered Fred vets minimum he may have took it. They did not.

Top reasons this is great for this board:

1. FireChan - that "Meh Cassell released" thread is indeed a hoot!

2. Reports will indicate Meh took less money to return to the Bills if Whaley went rogue and named him the #2

3. Sully can now troll us with an article about how we failed to bring in a franchise QB after cuts and how this move makes us worse.

4. Meh will surely allow us to introduce a few dozen EJ sucks threads.

5. Less money for Meh to spend with Tahmy at the track

6. We can now resume debating aging vets and their roster value.

7. We can keep saying "Meh."

8. Leroi may still be correct about EJ being cut

9. Cue the Pegula is cheap comments

10. Tyrod can mentor Meh

Please don't

For $900k or maybe even $650k off salary cap, I think this is a shrewd move to get Cassel back even though I think EJ improved a lot, too. But it's pretty obvious to me that the team was VERY willing to let Cassel go and go with EJ as the backup and were not sure if they could resign Cassel. Just signing Tanney to the PS is proof they didn't know. The fact that they had to outbid Houston on escalators is more proof. So I don't think their belief in EJ as a potential good player is changed much at all. They just figured that throughout the year QBs get hurt. Are we better off as a team with Cassel for pennies on a one year deal or with a rookie fifth TE?

That's all likely true...

But if I'm EJ, I'm not buying it...Especially after being dropped to #3 again...

If I'm EJ I want out of Buffalo as fast as humanly possible... B-)

What kind of value do you think he could bring?

Depending on the team 5th through 7th.

Hell, the Bills gave up a 7th for Cassel. There are still teams in need for a good QB.

When RGIII is deemed unusable and Cousins and McCoy suck in DC, look for an EJ deal to happen.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

It's a gut feeling, this move does not inspire confidence. Shows lack of confidence in TT and EJM. I don't have much to say except lets start the season. Show us what you got, Bills.

This from the guy whose role model is Kyle Orton...

rex has been consistent in saying he was going to have 3 QBs on the roster. And he does. They never said EJ was the #2. We all assumed that when Cassel was released, but there were multiple national reporters who kept saying vets released Saturday are likely to be re-signed Tuesday. If it was the plan all along, I doubt behind closed doors EJ is surprised. I do not think they told EJ on Saturday-you are going to be the backup. Then 3 days later said - just kidding! Everything since Saturday was done for cap reasons and they never deviated from the original plan of 3 QBs.

Did I miss where they named EJ the backup over the weekend? Honest question, I may have missed it.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Actually you can't. There are rules about trading for a player after you cut him during a season.

Hell, the Bills gave up a 7th for Cassel. There are still teams in need for a good QB.

When RGIII is deemed unusable and Colt McCoy and the other guy suck in DC. Look for an EJ deal to happen.

We gave up a 5th and a 7th

I hate hate hate this move! TT will now have an even shorter leash and will be looking over his shoulder all season worried he's going to get yanked. EJ is now nothing but a scout team QB. Another wasted year for him too.

Maybe you're right, but I don't think this makes TT's leash shorter. And if he's looking over his shoulder, he's an idiot. He needs to work on his game and let the coaches worry about coaching decisions.

I think this may actually be beneficial to TT, having a veteran QB in the QB room.

I do think this is bad for EJ.

If Cassel is seriously the number 2 QB, this will cut down on EJ's reps in practice, which is not insignificant. Even if EJ is the long-term #2 in case of injury to Tyrod, the practice part will slow down his development.

Although maybe running the scout team gives you more reps?

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure how running the scout team is the best preparation to jump from 3rd string to starter if TT goes down

rex has been consistent in saying he was going to have 3 QBs on the roster. And he does. They never said EJ was the #2. We all assumed that when Cassel was released, but there were multiple national reporters who kept saying vets released Saturday are likely to be re-signed Tuesday. If it was the plan all along, I doubt behind closed doors EJ is surprised. I do not think they told EJ on Saturday-you are going to be the backup. Then 3 days later said - just kidding! Everything since Saturday was done for cap reasons and they never deviated from the original plan of 3 QBs.

Yep. Plus, maybe more important, is that it was probably less than a 50/50 chance they got Cassel back after he was released. They didn't know he wouldn't sign. They didn't know some team without a good #2 would offer him $2m a year which he would have taken for sure. It was a calculated move proven by the Tanney signing and the fact they had to outbid Houston on escalators. I assume they likely considered Cassel to be gone with a decent chance of him returning but no real assurance whatsoever.

We gave up a 5th and a 7th

And got a 6th back right?

When RGIII is deemed unusable and Cousins and McCoy suck in DC, look for an EJ deal to happen.

Very true BFFE, but this is not enough to pull the trigger imo. I would want at least a 3rd. And the truth is that the above doesn't say much for EJ. :(

Maybe you're right, but I don't think this makes TT's leash shorter. And if he's looking over his shoulder, he's an idiot. He needs to work on his game and let the coaches worry about coaching decisions.

I think this may actually be beneficial to TT, having a veteran QB in the QB room.

I do think this is bad for EJ.

Bills might be looking to trade?

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure how running the scout team is the best preparation to jump from 3rd string to starter if TT goes down

It appears that the EJ era is over if he's not even the backup QB so the only way I see him being the starter again is if both TT and Cassel go down with injuries or both are complete abominations.

Which should make you thrilled...

No. I want our QB's to do well. While at times EJ looked good there was times he looked bad. Just like Cassel. but the fact that the QB coach is saying this shouldn't inspire any one to have confidence if EJ is playing. When you're own QB coach basically says he was never in consideration for starting should tell anyone with any common sense all they need to know.

Edited by VABills