Bills cuts - round 2

YoloinOhio

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassel has started off the season as the starter in 3 of the past 4 seasons and has had his season cut short in each of them (interestingly enough the season he started as a backup, 2013, he didn't get hurt and finished out the season as the starter). His stats during that time were 515/871 (59.1%) for 5,741 (6.6 YPA), 31 TDs (1 rushing) and 45 turnovers (34 INTs and 11 lost fumbles). And during that time he went 9-17. That's lousy. Furthermore I've never heard that he was a good mentor to younger QB's. So again, I have no idea what they saw in him when they traded for him.

Doc... I think they saw a stop gap if TT and EJ stunk up the preseason. They didn't so cut or trade his ass.

can we get a thread that JUST has the updated roster and updated cuts on it? Would and could someone do that?

QB

Tyrod Taylor

E.J. Manuel

Matt Cassel

Matt Simms

RB

LeSean McCoy

Karlos Williams

Bryce Brown

Anthony Dixon

Bronson Hill

FB

Jerome Felton

John Conner

TE
WR
C

Dalton Freeman

ST

Garrison Sanborn

Colton Schmidt

DEFENSE

DL

Marcell Dareus

Kyle Williams

Corbin Bryant

Red Bryant

Andre Fluellen

Edge

Mario Williams

Jerry Hughes

Randell Johnson

B.J. Larsen

Manny Lawson

IK Enemkpali

Quentin Groves

LB

Nigel Bradham

Preston Brown

Tony Steward

A.J. Tarpley

CB

Stephon Gilmore

Ronald Darby

Ron Brooks

Mario Butler

Merrill Noel

S

Corey Graham

Jonathan Meeks

Bacarri Rambo

Aaron Williams

Duke Williams

Cuts

• QB Matt Simms
  • RB Cierre Wood
  • RB Bronson Hill
  • FB John Conner
  • WR Deonte Thompson (waived/injured)
  • WR Andre Davis
  • WR Dezmin Lewis
  • WR Tobais Palmer
  • OL Cyril Richardson
  • OL Alex Kupper
  • OL Darryl Johnson
  • OL William Campbell
  • DL Andre Fluellen
  • ER IK Enemkpali
  • ER Quentin Groves
  • ER B.J. Larsen
  • CB Merrill Noel

Meeks got cut too believe

Edited by Pete

That's more cuts than required. They must be picking up players via waivers or trade.

They're down to 51 now. I'd assume they're looking for an interior OL and ILB. O'Leary may be the loser when Dareus comes off the suspended list.

The wildcard is the Dareus spot. That actually lets them hold onto someone that they might want on their practice squad until a week after everyone has already filled their rosters and their practice squads. O'Leary could be that guy. Keep him around for a week and then cut him when it is much less likely that some other team will pick him up.

The wildcard is the Dareus spot. That actually lets them hold onto someone that they might want on their practice squad until a week after everyone has already filled their rosters and their practice squads. O'Leary could be that guy. Keep him around for a week and then cut him when it is much less likely that some other team will pick him up.

Great point. Would not surprise me.

That's exactly what I think they're doing with him

But who would be interested in O'Leary - he did nothing to show he can play at this level. I would think more interest in Lewis and Brown - although trying to hide one of them through the first week would mean keeping 8 WRs (even though 2 of those are really ST guys)

Edited by stevewin

Wow. Stunned that Red Bryant has gone. Thought he was a good pick up who had played pretty well in limited pre-season snaps. I'd have had Carrington more at risk but maybe they feel that having been here longer he has a better grasp of the scheme. The others are pretty much expected except O'Leary still seems to be there which I confess I am shocked by.

But who would be interested in O'Leary - he did nothing to show he can play at this level. I would think more interest in Lewis and Brown - although trying to hide one of them through the first week would mean keeping 8 WRs (even though 2 of those are really ST guys)

I agree - he wouldn't be my first choice for a guy to go the extra mile to get on the practice squad. But maybe they've seen something in practice that hasn't been apparent to the untrained eye? I don't know.

I'm just saying there is going to be one person on the roster this week that they are planning to cut next week. I doubt it would be someone they would use in the game (like an extra backup DT). So it's more likely going to be someone they've prioritized for the practice squad.

The other explanation for O'Leary still being on the roster is that they are going to keep five TEs for the season, which seems crazy. Four is already a stretch, though it probably makes sense for Roman's offense.