Brady's suspension lifted

YoloinOhio

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario should have a ballboy steal all the balls before the Pats game and stick a tiny chip in them, then Mario could employ and hide a sharpshooter at the Ralph with an air rifle, and every pass that Brady throws over ten yards the sniper will just shoot it out of the sky with help from the GPS chip. They really can't fault Mario or punish him for it because they didn't ever establish that there is a punishment for hiring snipers to blow the balls out of the sky before.

No way that would work. He'd have to get the ballboy to hire the sharp shooter so they can only prove Mario was generally aware of what was going on. Now THAT might work.

Mario should have a ballboy steal all the balls before the Pats game and stick a tiny chip in them, then Mario could employ and hide a sharpshooter at the Ralph with an air rifle, and every pass that Brady throws over ten yards the sniper will just shoot it out of the sky with help from the GPS chip. They really can't fault Mario or punish him for it because they didn't ever establish that there is a punishment for hiring snipers to blow the balls out of the sky before.

I think they surely felt that they had the power. It wasn't a confidence factor. The litany of problems that Wells had with the entire thing and everything he meticulously laid out made it very clear what they thought.

I challenge your premise of using an air rifle. Simply not high caliber enough.

It would be great if the next judge feels that this judge overstepped his bounds and rigs the case to have it come up sooner than later, and then doesn't allow for Brady's side to push it back with delays. Not going to happen but it would be great nonetheless. ;)

ill say it wont be a surprise to kick back the other way, as this is definitely an issue on the fringe of the rules -- but man, i cant believe the nfl isnt walking away from this. it must be in worry that they will lose much power in other appeals if they lose.

No way that would work. He'd have to get the ballboy to hire the sharp shooter so they can only prove Mario was generally aware of what was going on. Now THAT might work.

No, even if they have video of Mario talking to the sharpshooter he can just deny he knows the guy. It's all good. Lying is not only okay, it's rewarded.

No, all he has to do is hire the sharpshooter by phone, then destroy his cell phone.

It's painfully obvious after this case, Jonathan Vilma and other cases that have went before the courts and have the judge rule in favor of the player that the NFL needs to change their procedures in how they handle player discipline. Whether it be by a committee that hands out the punishments should be a first step.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

ill say it wont be a surprise to kick back the other way, as this is definitely an issue on the fringe of the rules -- but man, i cant believe the nfl isnt walking away from this. it must be in worry that they will lose much power in other appeals if they lose.

Or, they could just go back to their offices, and lick their wounds. If they walk away from it, and don't appeal, it gives the issues of how the league may discipline its players even more priority when the CBA comes up for renegotiation. They might feel that idea that a player could cheat, and not be disciplined-- as has happened in this case-- puts them in a decent bargaining position.

there was insufficient PROOF that brady cheated.

there was enough proof that someone in the NE organization cheated and that is why kraft cut his losses early.

There was clearly a preponderance of evidence.

Or, they could just go back to their offices, and lick their wounds. If they walk away from it, and don't appeal, it gives the issues of how the league may discipline its players even more priority when the CBA comes up for renegotiation. They might feel that idea that a player could cheat, and not be disciplined-- as has happened in this case-- puts them in a decent bargaining position.

There was clearly a preponderance of evidence.

a preponderance of speculation

Is the domestic abuse stuff in there at all? I'm getting random annoying emails from the wife's Boston area family saying that the league needs to focus on the real problems like all of the domestic abuse. I find all of this funny because if that stuff's not in there either, this ruling just effectively stopped him from being able to take a tougher stance against it. Or have they officially laid out how they plan on punishing for that?

It's alluded to in the Personal Conduct Policy. If you're arrested for beating on a woman, you can be suspended immediately (most suspensions for criminal offenses occur after adjudication; if there's risk to the well-being of another party, the suspension can be immediate).

But again, that policy has the "conduct detrimental" clause, and isn't limited to criminal activity. So a player could theoretically be suspended for flying a Confederate flag.

I suspect this could hurt Brady's legacy more than if he would have accepted the punishment.

i tend to agree with this statement.

Everyone knows he cheated. It's common sense. All this did was the make him look like a spoiled little kid and a cheater.

Edited by dubs

the punishment for underinflation according to the CBA is a $25,000 fine, is laughable.

That's maximum specified punishment a CLUB may impose on a PLAYER for tampering with club equipment. That has exactly nothing to do with this case - Brady wasn't suspended by the Pats for tampering with the Pats' equipment.

Really...read the friggin' CBA, or shut the !@#$ up people. It's not that tough a read.

Uh...yeah. Read the CBA. Goodell is allowed to dispense his own brand of industrial justice. The NFLPA agreed to it.

Not only that, there is no other "brand of justice" that Goodell can dispense. The CBA leaves discipline up to the sole discretion of the Commissioner. So Berman effectively rewrote the CBA to say that the Commissioner has no disciplinary authority.

My feelings exactly. And why I think this judge set a poor precedent for all collectively bargained agreements moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

Pretty sure this is the way Goodell wanted it. He looks like he tried his damnedest to punish New England while knowing it was too off-the-wall to ever come across as legit in a court of law.

I never thought of that angle but it makes sense. He and Kraft are slimy.

The saddest part is these federal court proceedings are all taxpayer money getting burned up for ridiculous crap like this. Hey NFL, look like you'll have to change yet ANOTHER rule after the Patriots exploited a loophole again.

This time you work with the players union to develop a simple arbitration committee WITHIN the NFL and have their word be final on all suspension issues handed down from the commish. Have all players sign an agreement (or they don't play) that clearly states that no dispute will be escalated past this committee and their word is final and KEEP THESE FREAKIN' ISSUES OUT OF THE FEDERAL COURTS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD you smug, whiny little weenies. It's embarrassing.

You can appeal the commish's decision, you have one day to make your case to the committee and the league has one day to make theirs. One day for cross and a decision is reached by majority on day 4. End of problem, end of needed a federal court to settle your business because you can't seem to put a system in place that works.

Ok I'm done. We're on to Indianapolis now...

how "generally aware" rises to a 4 game suspension, when the punishment for underinflation according to the CBA is a $25,000 fine, is laughable.

goodell and the NFL overstepped their authority.

It's not. It's "no less than $25,000" and can be anything they want it to be.

That's maximum specified punishment a CLUB may impose on a PLAYER for tampering with club equipment. That has exactly nothing to do with this case - Brady wasn't suspended by the Pats for tampering with the Pats' equipment.

Really...read the friggin' CBA, or shut the !@#$ up people. It's not that tough a read.

I think it's the minimum. I think it's no less than $25k

EDIT: The wording from the game manual is "including, but not limited to, a fine of $25,000" for ball tampering.

The NFL’s game operations manual that is distributed annually to teams has a starting point for a penalty for ball tampering, but not an end point:

“The person responsible, and, if appropriate, the head coach or other club personnel will be subject to discipline, including but not limited to, a fine of $25,000.”

Edited by Kelly the Dog

@Rachel__Nichols: NFL will appeal but confirms it won't seek a stay to keep Brady off the field while doing so. So: Brady plays, and #Deflategate never dies.

I'm glad the league is standing on principle with their appeal. I'm also glad they aren't seeking an injunction against Brady in the meantime. This issue is bigger than Brady.

GO BILLS!!!

@SiriusXMNFL: Polian: It's always possible that he could serve a suspension in Dec/Jan if the 2nd circuit overturns this ruling but process moves slow.

No way this gets resolved in that short a time frame. The Peterson appeal is STILL pending.

GO BILLS!!!

This may be one of the greatest things I've ever read

Except that he doesn't launch himself (if you go through it frame-by-frame, his feet never leave the ground), he doesn't lead with the helmet, he doesn't seem to go headhunting (even frame-by-frame it's hard to tell). But he'd still get the flag, suspension, and fine anyway, nowadays.

Hell, a full third of Bruce's sacks would result in penalties and fines nowadays. And Leon Seals' pancaking of Hostetler in the Superbowl doesn't even bear thinking about.

I've seen that clip a bunch and this thought never crossed my mind, but I think you are right on the flag, maybe a 2 game suspension, and at least 50k fine. If you slow that clip down, he doesn't "launch" himself, and it looks like the hit is with his shoulder. But 1) its TB12, 2) Helmet comes off means the NFL wets themselves and does everything to protect Brady in the future.

Looks like a sweet hit to me. Worth the penalties all day long.

Yeah that's what I said. I did slow it down frame by frame. And as I stated - He doesn't launch himself. Its clean. With that said, I think it would be a fine. I dont agree with it, but its the outcome I would expect.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

i think that would result in a 15 yard penalty on Jerry Hughes

Roger needs to let it go. As a taxpayer I am a bit pissed off about anymore tax dollars being used to litigate a soft football.

Agreed, but at this point in the case, the courts are deciding on whether or not the NFL & NFLPA has to comply to the agreed upon procedure or not. The NFLPA (union) agreed to give the commissioner(management) authority and are now saying they dont like it. Its a labor relations matter more than anything and it may have a precedent reaching to other industries.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

This whole argument that he did not know what the punishment would be is nonsense. Why did he have the 2 idiots do it if he did not know that some punishment would be handed out. Why did he destroy his phone. Why not just do it on the sidelines in plain view. This judge should be impeached for wading into a labor issue he has not business being involved in the. The parties agreed to the CBA.

There is jurisprudence in Labor Law that either party cannot gain in arbitration what they could not negotiate at the bargaining table. This decision violates that law.

@MikeGarafolo: Roger Goodell will not attend next Thursday's NFL opener in Foxboro, NFL confirmed. Believes the focus should be on game/festivities.

Can you imagine how much coverage this is going to get on opening night = sickening. Everything about this just sucks.

I have ZERO plans for watching that game.

I was psyched up for it...couldn't wait......now......meh.......

You know that one of those friggin sideline reporters is going to try to go ask Brady about it. And he will make some smug remark... I'd like to crap in his clam chowder.