Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: That's the guy eball started this thread with, and the guy (tweet) I just posted that you responded to.

:doh: What do I know?

So was eball being serious, or sarcastic in his response to my post?

I believe he was being serious. Glazer was the first to report it of any repute. This guy, the one who said Cassel will be cut by Friday, was the only person I saw share the news earlier than Glazer. He could have just gotten lucky. He appears to be a college student with ambitions to be a sports GM. He could have a source, but he could also be guessing. If Cassel gets cut, I'll be a believer. Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I believe he was being serious. Glazer was the first to report it of any repute. This guy, the one who said Cassel will be cut by Friday, was the only person I saw share the news earlier than Glazer. He could have just gotten lucky. He appears to be a college student with ambitions to be a sports GM. He could have a source, but he could also be guessing. If Cassel gets cut, I'll be a believer.

Indeed. But he didn't couch it with any disclaimers---said it was going to happen, and it did. I know Scheffter (sp?) had it earlier, but did use some disclaimers, so I can see not giving him the nod. Just saying, if we only give credit to a guy who already well known, lesser known/unknown people, our there, working hard to get scoops, don't get the credit. Honestly, I think it's only really valuable to say "I was first with the news" if you are lesser known/unknown. Glazer doesn't need that anymore.

From @Mitch_Courtney1: Hearing from a source close to the situation that the Bills will part ways with Matt Cassel in favor of EJ Manuel as early as Friday

This guy doesn't have any obvious connections, so take it FWIW.

Let's assume this plays out as stated. Recall rex telling those covering Bills' training camp that he knew how the QB rotation looked but not to read too much into it. I guess they just couldn't help themselves and tried to do it anyways.

What I was talking about with the mettle and the leadership was the last drive of the Cleveland game, combined with the Pitt game. Most of us, including me, thought his career is Buffalo was basically over. But that last drive showed tremendous mettle and leadership under those circumstances. He was all but left for dead and he got up and put together the best drive of his life, preseason or not. He threw five fantastic passes in one minute of time, including two of them on fourth and fourteen with about a minute to go. One of them was a TD and game winner. Then he had a pretty good practice and then he had a monster game against Pitt where again his career with the Bills was likely on the line.

Several players noted the difference in his confidence level and the way he was in the huddle. I think it saved his career with the Bills and I think it showed a ton of leadership that he just didn't have before.

And no, I don't think he should start, I think TT should, and I don't think he is ready to be given the keys to the car. But that doesn't mean he hasn't made huge strides in leadership in the last few weeks.

I also think that a great deal of accuracy problems and breakdown of mechanics that results in accuracy problems is simply being comfortable in the game and the offense and what you need to do. And EJ always looked pretty skittish and very often looked inaccurate. But he got godawful coaching in his first two years which hurt him and now he is getting great coaching. And it took awhile but he is finally looking comfortable and he knows the offense and he is just winging it for the first time in his pro career and it shows in his accuracy and his mechanics don't break down nearly as much and his confidence has skyrocketed and that all feeds off itself.

He may have had the light turned on. He may just be on a lucky streak. But he's clearly benefitting from being more comfortable and getting better coaching.

I also give him credit for how he played in the Carolina game for that matter. The guy's first series was effed by two lousy shotgun snaps by Urbik. He had two drops by TEs that could have extended other drives, and he was basically running for his life the whole time. Yet he throws an on the money touchdown pass while avoiding the rush, and was downright unflappable the entire time he was out there.

The biggest improvement I saw in EJ was his coolness and his ability to overcome adversity in all three games, and especially in the first two. He didn't get down when stuck with the third and fourth stringers, he continued to work until he made something happen. That is a huge attribute to have as a starting QB.

I'm fine with TT because I thought he played well, also displayed poise under fire and is a bit more multi-dimensional. BUT, I still think EJ is the prototypical starting QB and still has the bigger upside, even if not by a huge margin.

I also give him credit for how he played in the Carolina game for that matter. The guy's first series was effed by two lousy shotgun snaps by Urbik. He had two drops by TEs that could have extended other drives, and he was basically running for his life the whole time. Yet he throws an on the money touchdown pass while avoiding the rush, and was downright unflappable the entire time he was out there.

The biggest improvement I saw in EJ was his coolness and his ability to overcome adversity in all three games, and especially in the first two. He didn't get down when stuck with the third and fourth stringers, he continued to work until he made something happen. That is a huge attribute to have as a starting QB.

I'm fine with TT because I thought he played well, also displayed poise under fire and is a bit more multi-dimensional. BUT, I still think EJ is the prototypical starting QB and still has the bigger upside, even if not by a huge margin.

I agree

Right now. For one game. No.

Rex all but said that.

In totality. Counting youth. Injury history. Salary. Contract. ST ability. Touches by McCoy. And other players on the roster... there is an argument to be made

I think the answer is no. But it's not as simple and not a no brainer.

It's tough.

I think we'd all agree that brown, red Bryant and Richie incognito will combine for more impact at the same total cap space as Fred... To use a hypothetical to quantify the types of moves the savings could contribute to.

Fred was pricey for a role player, with an increasingly limited role.

Cutting Fred Jackson and Matt Cassel gives them over $7 million more in cap space to carry over to 2016. That's basically 1 premier player like Cordy Glenn for players that were gone in 2016 anyways.

Great cap management.

It's an interesting point.

Though I think I saw somewhere we can easily create over $25M in cap room next year by getting Harvin and Cassel off the books, cutting McKelvin, and a couple other things like that. Plus we still have restructures for Mario and Clay in our back pocket, and of course the cap will jump.

That extra 4 mil seems paltry in comparison to having one reliable, steady quarterback on the roster this season, in my opinion.

Teams won't be afraid of EJ running the ball. He is more mobile than Cassel but he is not a running threat like Cam, Kap, Wilson , etc.

I believe that's what lost EJ the starting job!! I remember when Rex first arrived, when asked about EJ Manuel Rex said "we'd like to see him use his legs more". Personally I liked what I seen in EJ this preseason. His pocket presence is so much better. His accuracy has improved. I think the 4th and 3 against Pittsburgh and the 3rd and goal against Cleveland did him in. Maybe should've used his legs to keep drives going. In Cleveland they called a design rollout to see the outcome. He decided to run, but too late and fumbled. Luckily it was recovered. Another telling quote from Rex was "EJ looked outstanding when he had time to throw". EJ has the mobility. Stopped running after instructed by Marrone. Wonder if the voice of Marrone and Co. still wander around in his head?

Btw, Mitch is the poodle, the guy in the Braves hat is his dummy. :)

Is the guy in the hat Leroi?

Just by watching EJ this year he is still on the up ward climb in his talent & he is learning how to be a NFL QB .

His upside is 3 times that of Cassel & the money saved is more than that of which would be saved by cutting EJ , so i see Cassel gone when the next round of cuts come around !

Not to mention Cassel did little to impress while on the field during this preseason .

I don't think it changes salary cap figures, does it?

Yes, it does. As much as I can determine, the gameday payments that a player loses due to suspension come off of the team cap.

Josh Gordon as example only has a $564K cap number for the Browns in 2015.

Yes, it does. As much as I can determine, the gameday payments that a player loses due to suspension come off of the team cap.

Makes sense- if he's not being paid, why would it be in the cap

They must be crunching the numbers to pay Dareus

Absolutely what these decisions are about. I hope Mario restructures by next year.. Kyle Williams must be getting a little nervous Manny Lawson too. I have a feeling that Rex is saying "just don't touch my defense" though.

Interesting... I would not have guess that

Makes sense- if he's not being paid, why would it be in the cap

I would have thought a team has to work around the suspended player's figures. That way the team would have an additional incentive to keep the player inline. IDK the whole capology thing is really confusing.

Well since Rex ranks QB by 40 time it makes sense the pecking order is TT>EJ>MS>MC

Are you trying to start a new trend by making your selfie your avi?

I've just confirmed the post above. Mitch Courtney has it hours earlier. I don't know how to link to a single tweetL

But you can see it for yourself here:

https://twitter.com/mitch_courtney1

:lol: That's the guy eball started this thread with, and the guy (tweet) I just posted that you responded to.

I believe he was being serious. Glazer was the first to report it of any repute. This guy, the one who said Cassel will be cut by Friday, was the only person I saw share the news earlier than Glazer. He could have just gotten lucky. He appears to be a college student with ambitions to be a sports GM. He could have a source, but he could also be guessing. If Cassel gets cut, I'll be a believer.

Indeed. But he didn't couch it with any disclaimers---said it was going to happen, and it did. I know Scheffter (sp?) had it earlier, but did use some disclaimers, so I can see not giving him the nod. Just saying, if we only give credit to a guy who already well known, lesser known/unknown people, our there, working hard to get scoops, don't get the credit. Honestly, I think it's only really valuable to say "I was first with the news" if you are lesser known/unknown. Glazer doesn't need that anymore.

You guys are hilarious. My reference to Glazer being first was for the news that TT was named starter -- not that Cassel will be let go.

Time has passed since January. Rather obvious statement, I know, but, how much of the analysis out there, and on here, includes said obvious statement?

When Rex got here, and then hired Roman, the QBs on this team were EJ and Tuel. Given that initial situation, what would you say to the media, BESIDES, "we're going to run the ball/get it to our playmakers?" Then, why wouldn't you tell Whaley to go out and get a QB, or 2? One of EJ's worst games was against the Jets. Rex saw it himself. So, Whaley responds and gets Cassel.

But, ever since, as has been thoroughly discussed on this board:

Things have changed, a lot.

Apparently the local media, national media especially, and some fans, either can't or won't refuse to process these two simple concepts:

1. Time has passed since January

2. Things have changed, a lot

I believe their bias begins with jumping to the conclusion that wherever things stood in March and April, automagically meant that's where we'll be Week 1. In fact, that's rapidly becoming self-evident. Where will the bias end? Cutting Matt Cassel would certainly shake the schit out of many media people, but also teach them a lesson: you can't cover the Bills the way you have for the last decade. You actually have to pay attention, and think, now.

Understand: I'm not blaming the media. Lord knows the years prior to Whaley were enough to desensitize anyone to actually thinking about the team. But, I will blame the media for not recognizing #1 and 2 above, and not acting accordingly.

You guys are hilarious. My reference to Glazer being first was for the news that TT was named starter -- not that Cassel will be let go.

Yeah. That's what I said.

The Cassel talk was just me saying that if that Mitch kid hits on his Cassel prediction, that it will be two pieces of Bills info he's tweeted that he hit on before the national guys. He beat Glazer with the TT news by two hours.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Interesting... I would not have guess that

I would have thought a team has to work around the suspended player's figures. That way the team would have an additional incentive to keep the player inline. IDK the whole capology thing is really confusing.

"You account for the checks you write" goes a long way to simplifying it.

Time has passed since January. Rather obvious statement, I know, but, how much of the analysis out there, and on here, includes said obvious statement?

When Rex got here, and then hired Roman, the QBs on this team were EJ and Tuel. Given that initial situation, what would you say to the media, BESIDES, "we're going to run the ball/get it to our playmakers?" Then, why wouldn't you tell Whaley to go out and get a QB, or 2? One of EJ's worst games was against the Jets. Rex saw it himself. So, Whaley responds and gets Cassel.

But, ever since, as has been thoroughly discussed on this board:

Things have changed, a lot.

Apparently the local media, national media especially, and some fans, either can't or won't refuse to process these two simple concepts:

1. Time has passed since January

2. Things have changed, a lot

I believe their bias begins with jumping to the conclusion that wherever things stood in March and April, automagically meant that's where we'll be Week 1. In fact, that's rapidly becoming self-evident. Where will the bias end? Cutting Matt Cassel would certainly shake the schit out of many media people, but also teach them a lesson: you can't cover the Bills the way you have for the last decade. You actually have to pay attention, and think, now.

Understand: I'm not blaming the media. Lord knows the years prior to Whaley were enough to desensitize anyone to actually thinking about the team. But, I will blame the media for not recognizing #1 and 2 above, and not acting accordingly.

EJ also had one of his best games against Rex's Jets!! If there's one thing I've noticed about EJ Manuel, he rarely makes the same mistake twice. The first time Rex faced EJ he whooped him, but the next time EJ scorched him. The Bills have a plan and it includes EJ Manuel.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/matt-cassel/

Base $4,150,000, roster bonus, $500,000, Cap Hit $4,750,000 and Dead Cap $600,000 - Expires 2016

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/e.j.-manuel/

Base $1,212,755 ?? Signing bonus $133,333, Cap Hit $2,423,264 and Dead Cap $5,250,405 - Expires 2017

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor/

Base $750,000 ?? Signing bonus $1,210,509, Cap Hit $$883,333 and Dead Cap $1,150,000 - Expires 2017

Exactly. This is all about getting Dareus signed. 100%. and it is the correct course of action. go bills.