Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That kind of thinking gets you in trouble. You can't make the right move because (insert reason here.) They traded for Cassel to make sure they had a contingency plan. Plans change.

Yep

The Bills are a better team with both Freddy and MC on the squad.

But penny-pinching is the name of the game if we're going to retain Marcel and others.

With EJ and TT so uncertain, we had to get a reliable vet. But TT and EJ both surprised so the costly reliable vet is now an expense we don't need.

Yup. Still an odd statement because a few of them are likely to be valuable contributors who the Bills would like to resign (I'm thinking Harvin and Lawson, for example).

they could be but Randell Johnson is Lawson's understudy and could replace him, and they could draft someone to take Harvin's place rather than pay him (like Braxton Miller if he shows the prowess - he will be in the PH role this year) Edited by YoloinOhio

I agree with that philosophy for other positions on the team. I am advocating extra insurance as both TT and EJ don't have a large enough body of in-game experience.

so if TWO players bomb out long enough to be benched you think cassel can come in and turn around the season in the remaining games?

Thats right

NOBODY expected EJ Manuel to look this good

That's an awkward way to paint it. We expected EJ to be this good from the start, and honestly he was. Then he regressed and never recovered. EJ should have looked like this a season and a half ago. He should be slightly better or more then he is now but he hasn't had the reps and no one is certain they'd have mattered.

Chris Trapasso needs to chill out.

No joke, this is where we all remember he is still green.

yes. I think he means he would be cut after the season along with the others who wouldn't be re-signed. Replaced with drafted players.

Trust me, we're not going to want to replace Lawson after this season. He is going to have a Jerry Hughes type break out season this year. Book it, mail it in, and ask Santa for your Lawson jersey now. The guy was a first round draft pick, he is still young and he is primed for a superstar year.

We are going to be surprised by our LB's this year and Lawson is going to be our best LB.

they could be but Randell Johnson is Lawson's understudy and could replace him, and they could draft someone to take Harvin's place rather than pay him (like Braxton Miller if he shows the prowess - he will be in the PH role this year)

See above. Johnson won't fill those shoes.

It's all about economics of the NFL - need to resign MD, NB and SG on defense and CG on offense. Enough said - MC out he door. Can not afford 4.7 million for a journeyman QB - he is Fitz, Orton, etc. - go with TT and EJ - either one can get us to the playoffs and will be less expensive combined than MC.

Thats right

NOBODY expected EJ Manuel to look this good

All the way from starting QB to perhaps 3rd string. In less than 1 year.

EJ may develop. He may not, but he's not developing fast enough to supplant a guy who's thrown less than 40 regular season passes.

Edited by BillsVet

EJ may develop. He may not, but he's not developing fast enough to supplant a guy who's thrown less than 40 regular season passes.

Has he, or has he not, shown marked improvement this offseason?

Moreover, let me also ask this: what did you want to see from him in these preseason games that you didn't see?

Trust me, we're not going to want to replace Lawson after this season. He is going to have a Jerry Hughes type break out season this year. Book it, mail it in, and ask Santa for your Lawson jersey now. The guy was a first round draft pick, he is still young and he is primed for a superstar year.

We are going to be surprised by our LB's this year and Lawson is going to be our best LB.

Such a definitive statement. Lawson will be 32 next year. Hopefully, Johnson improves enough to take the reigns. That would be great for the Bills.

I get what you are saying.

Nevertheless, TT has had the benefit of learning behind Flacco in much the same way Rodgers did with Favre. EJ was thrown into the fire after Kolb got hurt.

EJ is developing. He will continue to develop. Give the guy a break.

Injuries. If Cassel came in with say 6 games left, I think he could keep playoff hopes alive.

so we should spend 5m of our cap space to insure against the very specific situation of the 1 & 2 having us in the playoffs but both being hurt by the end of the season, and cassel being able to hold things together for a month without losing everything?

to me that doesnt sound like optimizing limited resources.

Edited by NoSaint

Did you see what happened to Matt Flynn in Seattle? It happens. People don't want to accept it but good coaching appears to have improved EJ and Tyrod already had been getting good coaching from whence he came. Better raw products from the start have finally progressed beyond Cassell who is a career journeyman. People should be extatic.

**fixed to be less absolute lest I provide fodder for naysayers...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Said in another thread - friends have a "closeness" to someone at OBD. Talked him to recently - said Bills all along only wanted to carry 2 qb's + practice squad

"said Bills all along only wanted to carry 2 qb's + practice squad"

Which would be like nearly every team in the league - nobody keeps 3 on the roster anymore if they can help it.

That's an awkward way to paint it. We expected EJ to be this good from the start, and honestly he was. Then he regressed and never recovered. EJ should have looked like this a season and a half ago. He should be slightly better or more then he is now but he hasn't had the reps and no one is certain they'd have mattered.

What I mean to say is....from the start of camp EJ looked like he was def in the 3rd position.....but looks to have improved quickly to where he might actually be in the 2nd position (and frankly if TT was playing lights out should start)

No joke, this is where we all remember he is still green.

I agree that Lawson appears to be a great scheme fit and hopefully we can keep him around. My LB that will make the biggest impact is Preston Brown

We dont know that....Johnson might even be part of the last cuts (I hope not because he might turn into something)