A few observations on the game from your friend in Cleveland

Hey Bills fans! I was at the game last night at First Energy (you all should have made the short trek from Buffalo, plenty of good seats were left!) I watched your team quite a bit. Thought I would share some thoughts.

1. Your #2 (3?) QB is better than our #1. Manuel > McCown all day. I wouldn't mind the Browns trying to swing a trade for him since you have two other QBs ahead of him. I've always thought he was pretty good, and would like to have another developmental QB besides Manziel. He is much further along and his arm is fantastic.

2. Your defense is crazy fast, and furious. Pettine had cautioned us last week that there was a steep drop-off from the #1 D to the second team D and to take that into account when watching Manziel, but I didn't see a big difference in the 2nd half other than the safeties.

3. Tyrod Taylor is also a step ahead of everyone in terms of his speed. I was kind of surprised by his size though. He looked smaller than I expected. Also, he is going to have a rough go of it in the film room today. A few times he had guys open and didn't see them or didn't want to throw it, not sure which. 85 and 88 were open a ton, it seemed. Not sure if he is seeing the whole field (don't shoot the messenger, it's just an observation). He did make some nice throws and his mobility reminds me of Russell Wilson.

4. The Browns tried to block Jerry Hughes with a running back. :thumbdown: You would think they would have learned but noooo.

5. I think Ryan and Pettine must have decided to blitz each other's QBs the whole game, to see how the QBs would handle it and/or to be able to judge the 1:1 matchups that would result with the WQRs and DBs. Our WRs failed miserably with that. I had such high hopes for Mayle.

6. Your running backs, who I know were all just signed off the street, didn't have a clue in pass protection. So take some of the issues your QBs had with pressure with a grain of salt. I am sure your real RBs can pick up a blitz.

7. I am glad we do not play you in the regular season this year!

Hey Bills fans! I was at the game last night at First Energy (you all should have made the short trek from Buffalo, plenty of good seats were left!) I watched your team quite a bit. Thought I would share some thoughts.

1. Your #2 (3?) QB is better than our #1. Manuel > McCown all day. I wouldn't mind the Browns trying to swing a trade for him since you have two other QBs ahead of him. I've always thought he was pretty good, and would like to have another developmental QB besides Manziel. He is much further along and his arm is fantastic.

2. Your defense is crazy fast, and furious. Pettine had cautioned us last week that there was a steep drop-off from the #1 D to the second team D and to take that into account when watching Manziel, but I didn't see a big difference in the 2nd half other than the safeties.

3. Tyrod Taylor is also a step ahead of everyone in terms of his speed. I was kind of surprised by his size though. He looked smaller than I expected. Also, he is going to have a rough go of it in the film room today. A few times he had guys open and didn't see them or didn't want to throw it, not sure which. 85 and 88 were open a ton, it seemed. Not sure if he is seeing the whole field (don't shoot the messenger, it's just an observation). He did make some nice throws and his mobility reminds me of Russell Wilson.

4. The Browns tried to block Jerry Hughes with a running back. :thumbdown: You would think they would have learned but noooo.

5. I think Ryan and Pettine must have decided to blitz each other's QBs the whole game, to see how the QBs would handle it and/or to be able to judge the 1:1 matchups that would result with the WQRs and DBs. Our WRs failed miserably with that. I had such high hopes for Mayle.

6. Your running backs, who I know were all just signed off the street, didn't have a clue in pass protection. So take some of the issues your QBs had with pressure with a grain of salt. I am sure your real RBs can pick up a blitz.

Thanks for the visit. Hopefully one of our teams finally makes and the playoffs this year and very wishfully hope that one of us finally wins a Super Bowl. Tyrod and EJ did pretty well, and Johnny looked more at home against the 2's and 3's than last year against our 1's.

Thanks Cleveland...helps to have a first-hand account from someone that attended.

I actually thought about whether or not Cleveland would have any interest in EJ, since I think a trade is the only way he's not on this team come week 1.

Yeah, the RBs were a total smoke show out there...not good at all.

Thanks for the well wishes for the Browns. It is hard to watch them in the preseason because the reality is they probably won't be very good with their lack of elite talent on the offense and have a tough schedule, but you never know! McCown throwing into triple coverage, holds onto the ball too long, and makes poor decisions. He runs around and then falls down instead of just taking a sack and protecting the ball which increases the possibility of fumbling. All their WRs are short too unless they can get Pryor healthy. Cameron Erving is a wasted pick so far. Backup center with a 1st rd pick and guard isn't his best position. I'm close to wanting Manziel to just start and see what happens; I don't see this team going anywhere with McCown. Especially in the AFC North which I think is still the best division in the league at this point.

eh, #40 (Hill?) ran pretty well and twice picked up blitzes with the 1st team that I saw. Interesting take on WR's being wide open that TT didn't go to -especially since he only threw one away to avoid a blitz. I'll take 70% completion and clock-eating drives every game.

Cleveland, we have some talent & speed at WR, but this past week showed y'all are in big trouble on the back end of your D. All our Receivers were wide open all week.

Thanks for stopping by through the week and your 1st hand take! Don't be a stranger.

eh, #40 (Hill?) ran pretty well and twice picked up blitzes with the 1st team that I saw. Interesting take on WR's being wide open that TT didn't go to -especially since he only threw one away to avoid a blitz. I'll take 70% completion and clock-eating drives every game.

Cleveland, we have some talent & speed at WR, but this past week showed y'all are in big trouble on the back end of your D. All our Receivers were wide open all week.

Thanks for stopping by through the week and your 1st hand take! Don't be a stranger.

Tramon Williams was the only starting CB in Rochester. Whitner the only starting safety. I think the secondary will be OK. There were times Taylor had guys open and started running. I can't remember which drives or anything but it was there. He did have huge DL coming at him and he isn't very tall so maybe he couldn't see? I just thought he left some potential big plays on the field. The throw to the endzone should have been caught though, that was nice.

Interesting take on WR's being wide open that TT didn't go to -especially since he only threw one away to avoid a blitz. I'll take 70% completion and clock-eating drives every game.

I'm picking nits to the highest degree but 85 is Charles Clay the TE. Someone else that was at the game said TT missed Clay open a couple times. I didn't see it myself on the TV but we are limited in our views.

Thanks for the report, Cleveland. And thanks for taking McCown.

I guess the nice thing is that, even though TT was missing open guys, he was still able to make positive plays and keep the drive alive. That opening drive was impressive even though it ended up with no points. TT needs to figure out how/when to slide or get out of bounds, and when to throw it away to avoid the sack. Sometimes success scrambling leads guys like him to think he can get out of anything, which just leads inevitably to a big sack that either takes the team out of FG range, or makes it harder resulting in a miss.

Thanks for the review, Cleve!

Did Whitner play last night? I didn't even notice him.

Thanks for your report. The Browns front 7 is really, really solid and Shelton is a man amongst boys out there. Once you get healthy in the secondary I expect the defense to return to dominant as it was last season. Also was impressed with the Browns offensive line. A lot left to be desired at the skill positions for the brownies, but it seems like they're building from the inside-out.

BTW....what's the story with Gilbert? I was at TC the day he got worked, and it was fugly.

Did Whitner play last night? I didn't even notice him.

Thanks for your report. The Browns front 7 is really, really solid and Shelton is a man amongst boys out there. Once you get healthy in the secondary I expect the defense to return to dominant as it was last season. Also was impressed with the Browns offensive line. A lot left to be desired at the skill positions for the brownies, but it seems like they're building from the inside-out.

BTW....what's the story with Gilbert? I was at TC the day he got worked, and it was fugly.

Gilbert is just not progressing at all and looks like a bust at this early juncture. I hate to call guys busts so early (especially CBs) but his issues should have been correctable by now. Unfortunately he has a poor attitude and work ethic, and that's not fixable really and just so disappointing. They could have had Sammy Watkins, which would have transformed their whole offense. Gilbert and a backup center in return makes me sick. I think Gilbert is now 4th on the CB depth chart with a UDFA (KaWaun Williams) and Pierre Desir ahead of him. Something that will make you all encouraged is he did get a pick-6 off Andrew Luck last year.

I'm picking nits to the highest degree but 85 is Charles Clay the TE. Someone else that was at the game said TT missed Clay open a couple times. I didn't see it myself on the TV but we are limited in our views.

Thanks for the report, Cleveland. And thanks for taking McCown.

Yes it was the TE. He was winning his battles on every play. Tough matchup for a safety.

Also I really am not trying to criticize Taylor. Just that I think the coaches will try to tell him to stay in the pocket and go through progressions. He certainly did OK in the pocket especially with the blitz-heavy D. But I think there is room for improvement - if a QB like Roethlisberger is in there he hits that open guy for a huge play. I know that it comes with experience...

Gilbert is just not progressing at all and looks like a bust at this early juncture. I hate to call guys busts so early (especially CBs) but his issues should have been correctable by now. Unfortunately he has a poor attitude and work ethic, and that's not fixable really and just so disappointing. They could have had Sammy Watkins, which would have transformed their whole offense. Gilbert and a backup center in return makes me sick. I think Gilbert is now 4th on the CB depth chart with a UDFA (KaWaun Williams) and Pierre Desir ahead of him. Something that will make you all encouraged is he did get a pick-6 off Andrew Luck last year.

Yes it was the TE. He was winning his battles on every play. Tough matchup for a safety.

Also I really am not trying to criticize Taylor. Just that I think the coaches will try to tell him to stay in the pocket and go through progressions. He certainly did OK in the pocket especially with the blitz-heavy D. But I think there is room for improvement - if a QB like Roethlisberger is in there he hits that open guy for a huge play. I know that it comes with experience...

Yep. A lot of that comes with experience in games though. Knowing when to run and when you still have time.

Clay is going to be a nightmare for defenses who have to worry about McCoy, Watkins, Harvin, Woods, and now maybe Taylor running. I think that is what the Bills and Rex envision. That if Taylor can just make enough good decisions, he is going to be throwing to wide open guys all game long because of those five skill guys.

I agree with #5 - I had the same thought - Ryan and Pettine likely discussed blitzing the young QBs to help evaluate them.

I wondered about that watching the game. It seemed to be a lot of blitzing, especially for a preseason game.

Cleveland Rocks, appreciate you checking in with us.

On the Tyrod vision thing, it's hard to tell where his reads are and where he is supposed to look. One thing I do like is all the people asking if he could "do more than run around" are pretty silent now. We'll see what else happens next but so far so good.

On Rex and Pettine. I couldn't tell if they decided to blitz that much together or if it became a game of one upmanship. I lean to coaches just wanting to evaluate their pass-rushers in a more realistic setting. I was laughing though because neither coach wanted even backups to score.

Browns have some promising players, Shelton looks like a great pick. Good luck this year!

Edited by jeffismagic

Yes, now that we let CJ Spiller go.

Hey OP, Thanks for sharing!! A couple corrections.

Manuel is our #3 QB not 2 but still better than McClown.

Tampas offense was ugly last year, I'd expect the same at the factory.

Browns are just a bad team, sub .500 this year.

Imo

Who are you to waltz into our message board with your positive opinions of our team?

Thanks Cleveland...helps to have a first-hand account from someone that attended.

I actually thought about whether or not Cleveland would have any interest in EJ, since I think a trade is the only way he's not on this team come week 1.

Yeah, the RBs were a total smoke show out there...not good at all.

Bandit, there is NO WAY I'm trading Manuel if he continues to trend upwards. We've been looking for a "franchise" QB and if he's developing like we think, he's our QB for the next 10 years.

Thanks for posting. Us people from places like Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh have to stick together.

"Us" people?

There is no need to segregate and why would we have to stick together?

A very old fashioned saying, I bet I can guess your generation.

Imo

Bandit, there is NO WAY I'm trading Manuel if he continues to trend upwards. We've been looking for a "franchise" QB and if he's developing like we think, he's our QB for the next 10 years.

Also, there is no way Doug Whaley would sign off on trading an EJ Manuel who's trending upwards. Whaley's always said he had a big hand in the Manuel pick and if he hits on that, his stature as a GM skyrockets to the top given the rest of the pieces he's put in place.

Trading Manuel would be a move that could really blow up in their faces to the point where it is eventually seen on one of those "Top 10 Worst Trades in History" NFL Films shows if the Bills traded away the only franchise QB they've had since Jim Kelly 20 years ago. They would have to know almost 100% that Tyrod Taylor is a franchise QB for them to trade Manuel this year given how good he's looked in these past two preseason games.

Manuel looked like Rothslesberger last night. Big, strong, mobile and making clutch, game winning throws in the final minutes.

I'm pretty sure he meant blue collar people from rust belt cities...

That is exactly what I meant. I thought it was crystal clear to anyone with even a modicum of intelligence. There was NO reference to race, ethnicity, religion or anything other than Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. The last time I checked, all kinds of people live in each of those cities.

Some like to look down on place like Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh and people from there. My only point -- in responding to an OP from Cleveland -- was that it was nice that he stopped by and there is an affinity between and among people from cities such as these. Again, there was no reference to anything other than that.

To read anything else into my post would be complete BULLSH*T.

hey. I made the trip down. i was very surprised how many people came and how into the game the browns fans were. Every fan had on team colors.

I have a few questions about your stadium. It took us 45 mins to get from the exit sign for the stadium on the 90 to the street(maybe 300 yards) leading up to the stadium and R&R HOF. Is traffic always that bad? Also my first time at the stadium so there are probably better ways that I don't know about. I love how the stadium looks and how it is downtown and on the water but the thru way and railroad tracks make it a hassle to get in.

Also, there is no way Doug Whaley would sign off on trading an EJ Manuel who's trending upwards. Whaley's always said he had a big hand in the Manuel pick and if he hits on that, his stature as a GM skyrockets to the top given the rest of the pieces he's put in place.

Trading Manuel would be a move that could really blow up in their faces to the point where it is eventually seen on one of those "Top 10 Worst Trades in History" NFL Films shows if the Bills traded away the only franchise QB they've had since Jim Kelly 20 years ago. They would have to know almost 100% that Tyrod Taylor is a franchise QB for them to trade Manuel this year given how good he's looked in these past two preseason games.

Manuel looked like Rothslesberger last night. Big, strong, mobile and making clutch, game winning throws in the final minutes.

It's a pity that when EJ is playing like what they wanted to see when they drafted him, we have a meathead for HC who judges QBs by 40 times.

No, you don't want to make that trade. McCown provides you a benefit that Manuel can't: veteran experience that can mentor Manziel. A Manuel and Manziel pairing would destroy both of them.

You expect "people" around here to understand context and nuance? That's a heavy lift...Imo

Please. It wasn't that nuanced. Leroi is just being an ass again.