After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?

BustaTimes

After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?

• Tyrod Taylor
    • EJ Manuel
    • Matt Cassell
    • Matt Simms
    • Someone else
    • It's too early to tell

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't exactly call it a drop.

I would say that any of the Top 5 receivers probably make that catch.

It was a very catchable ball if the receiver plays the ball right.

That guy kinda waited for the ball to come to him instead of go attack the TD and haul it in.

Fair enough, I can't disagree with that. I know when EJ throws a ball like that he is blasted here (by some) for not making a perfect pass. But I agree that a good WR should make the catch--or at least make a better effort.

One thing I noticed (which I always seem to notice with EJ) is EJ always looks very composed. Even after getting sacked, bad penalties, his own fumble---he looked calm and ready to play. That isn't what some people tend to say about him, though.

All of them have had their moments this off- and pre-season.

None of them have truly looked like a franchise QB.

I kind of think any of them can get us to 10-6 with the defense we have.

In my mind, it's still a three man race. I'd like to see more before making a decision.

EJ stretches the field vertically and horizontally with his arm. He's shown he can really throw a pretty out route.

Tyrod stretches the play with his mobility.

I'm not sure Cassell can do either.

The first two will make defenses sit a little back opening up the run. With MC, I'm just afraid everyone pinches down and our run suffers.

Admittedly an overly simplistic summary, but I do believe it has some general validity.

The fact that I'm still the only person who voted for MC reinforces how idiotic all of you are.

:lol:

You make a point. He make no mistakes tonight.

Edited by The Dean

I just wanna see EJ take it by the nutsack. I'm dyin' see him beat Sammy, Woods, Clay, in the chest with the ball down the field 17 yrds, in full stride, like Brady does. I know he can do it. I'm dyin' to see this team win again. It's been awhile.

Tyrod is great, EJ just seems to have that more pocket passer thing goin' which I like. Anyways, cheers to a helluva season.

Having not seen much of Tyrod till tonight's game, I can see why he's getting the hype. He looks like a starter... Decisive with the ball (other than that one sack), fast, had the offense moving with a good rhythm.

EJ, as much as I really want him to succeed, he looks tentative, hesitant almost. The offense seems to stagnate with him, then he pulls out a brilliant series of plays and gets in the end zone, twice. Granted, he had crap for an Oline and blitz pickup and the play calling seemed to go ultra vanilla. But, it's really hard to see him starting over Tyrod based on tonight's game.

One thing I do like is Rex Ryan. First, I like that Cassel didn't play tonight. Everyone in the free world knows what he brings to the table and borrowing something completely unforeseen, he's on the team. But, he really needs to see what Tyrod and EJ can do. So, he maximized their playing time. I liked that. Secondly, 50 seconds in the game and the Jawbreaker gives up a 1st down on 4th and 4 with an offsides, and Rex was hot on the side line! It's nice to see a coach actually wanting to win, even in preseason.

Tryod played well. EJ did OK, too. I'd like to see more from each (and Cassell to be honest). Too early to tell, for me. But right now, I have no problem with Tyrod getting the starting nod. Better have someone prepared, though, if he gets injured.

At this point, I think they have to keep all three. Simms is a non-factor. If they trade one of these guys, then they go with two QBs, IMO.

Given the watered down nature of preseason playcalling and all of the injuries I don't know what more you can legitamtely ask to see. Cassel made the throws he can make in game 1. Taylor showed off his improvisation skills in game 1 and tonight. He also showed an ability to hit timing routes from the pocket, buy time in the pocket, etc. EJ, in spite of having to play with Kuppart and the gang has aquitted himself well. He has also shown ability to improvise, and hit throws (although the drops he gets are crazy.). He is the best arm of the three hands down. He showed consistent accuracy tonight wich was nice to see.

To me Taylor is the guy bc he's been consistent in the games and offers a dimension that Cassel never will. Cassel is a break glass in case of emergency type of guy. I think they keep all three however and Simms goes to PS. EJ is still a guy they can develop. Kolb's issues screwed up the original plan. I think they still want to work w/ EJ. And if Taylor got hurt, EJ can still run the same offense they would use for Taylor. He's not as explosive as Taylor, but he can move well.

Edited by purple haze

Cassel will start. He is the safe choice. He has to fail to be replaced. First in, TT, because he is totally different from Cassel. TT with have to fail at least twice before EJ gets a chance. And that may not be bad for EJ. Gives him more time to develope and will remove the other two as possibilities,

At least all three of them have been throwing accurately. Although we will see what happens when games start for real.

If they are swinging for the fences it will be Taylor. He has thrown it well, and he can do things to add to the weaponry the defense will have to prepare for. Watkins Woods, Harvin, Clay, McCoy... w/Tyrod. Someobody is open or has a lot of open space.

I like Tyrod, However, he is too short and once the balls start getting batted down the love fest will start to wane.

They haven't gotten batten down in the games or in practice/scrimmages. He's taller than Russell Wilson.

Maybe EJ is actually developing. Which everyone knew would take 2 or more seasons.

Maybe TT has developed and is ready.

I'm excited about both right now honestly. Well maybe not excited but optimistic.

Cassel is a good fall back plan.

I just don't understand why we're so quick to want to bury EJ. A QB that was always going to be a project. Now he has a legit NFL OC to polish him off.

Whatever...at this point I trust the coaches decision.

Both looked good but EJ just makes throws the others don't. Once again he fired some nice bullets and all the while with poor protection and multiple 2nd and longs after poor first down runs.

One more game of analysis but I would love to see EJ with the ones.

If Rex is a man of his word Give EJ the start in game 3 with the ones and making the starter decision immediately after game3

I hope who ever it winds up being that the competition is fair .

I would hope that each one should be able to have time with the Ones in live action (Turtle man i love that show) Cassel & Taylor have had their start & now it should be EJ's time !

The kid came through & by the look on his face it could have been a AH HA ! Moment .

He looked like he was amazed that he did it which confidence in ones self can be a great thing .

THey have invested a first rounder in him at least give him the last chance to prove if he is worthy of being that guy .

Our O line had a totally different out come with the same people with 2 coaches, Joe D now with SanDiego had that line playing really good ! IN steps Marroon with his guy & the O line goes to hell in short order !

So EJ could be connecting with the QB coach & Roman, not to mention the scheme .

They went this far what is one preseason start ??

OK, I just got through watching the game.

Like many of you, I've been very encouraged with Tyrod the last two weeks. He is a playmaker and has a good nose for the game.

As far as EJ is concerned... it's really hard to totally write him off, even though he almost always has a streak of crappy plays each game. Some of these streaks may not totally be his own fault, but nonetheless, they always seem to happen on his watch.

That being said, EJ still has a lot going for him.

I would be very happy with Tyrod as the starter, but I really want EJ to have a shot with the first time offense.

Let's go Buffalo!

Did not watch the game tonight but I saw that the Bills scored 11 points and according to this poll, everyone is super psyched about Taylor and Manuel. Assuming Cassel must have really sucked tonight?

He didn't play. I'm assuming most people would rather have a tie in the competition go to the younger guys, at least that's what I think.

Taylor looked as good as Cassel against Carolina, in this game. He was decisive made good throws and he has an added dimension of being able to use his feet, which Cassel doesn't. It was nice to see him stay in the pocket and deliver some nice throws. Taylor managed all of this playing without the top 5 RBs and the top 5 WRs.

EJ looked good considering he was playing with some pretty bad skill players and the OL was a sieve. He made some nice throws when he had time and was able to lead the only TD drive and convert on the 2 pt conversion.

This poll seems to be more of a referendum against Cassel than anything else. The Bills' offense is just capable of doing so many more things with Taylor or EJ because of their mobility.

I still don't believe EJ has a legitimate shot to win the starting job this year but I was unbelievably happy for him with how he overcame that piss poor OL play in front of him and led a methodical, 80+ yard drive to a win. I only recall one throw out of 11 that was off the mark, and his ball placement was as good as I've seen it. He also showed "escapability" and kept his eyes downfield.

I'm hopping aboard the T-Mobile train, but the Bills would be fools to get rid of EJ.

I would keep Tyrod and EJ and dump Cassel's salary. See if there's another scrambler type on the open market for playbook continuity

i'm with you on this idea. At this point, what does Cassel do for this team? Get another quick footed QB and build the system around athletic dual-threat type QBs

I like Tyrod's play. If I had to choose a starter right now I would go with Tyrod over Cassel. We know what to expect from Cassel. I think he is a good backup and wouldn't hesitate to put him in if Tyrod struggles. I also think giving up on EJ would be a big mistake. He looked good last night and threw some real nice passes. He has progressed slowly but I think eventually its going to click and he will be one heck of a QB. When the chips are down he has a way of coming up big. Someday it will happen for him.

It's too early to tell.

I can say this ... It won't be Meh.

Did not watch the game tonight but I saw that the Bills scored 11 points and according to this poll, everyone is super psyched about Taylor and Manuel. Assuming Cassel must have really sucked tonight?

he did a fine job of holding the clip board

I don't know if this is good or bad

@MichaelDavSmith: Tyrod Taylor has the second-most rushing yards in the NFL so far this preseason.

it is a mixed bag. The Bills were down to their 6th, 7th and 8th Running Backs

The Bills have played 2 games. Everyone except the Bills, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Minnesota, Detroit & Washington has only played 1.

well and that too. LOL

All I know is, I'm really happy with how Tyrod and EJ have both looked in pre-season so far, it gives me a great amount of hope that we can actually move the ball down the field, control the clock, and hopefully put up some points. I was a little disappointed with Tyrod's stalled drives, BUT, he was also playing against a 1st string D, with 3rd string RBs/WRs.

Are you saying that "you won't want Cassel" or "it won't be Cassel?" He certainly has a very good chance of starting (at least at the beginning of the year).

I think both our young guys have shown enough to be trusted with the starting position. Cassel is great veteran insurance, and probably valuable in the film room. Tyrod and EJ both give Roman more flexibility in play design.