PFF: Preston Brown - Bills' Secret Superstar

@BuffRumblings

The folks at @PFF call Preston Brown their #Bills "Secret Superstar." Check it out. http://sbnation.com/e/8544648?utm_campaign=buffalorumblings&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Secret Superstar: Buffalo Bills
Preston Brown was drafted in the third round out of Louisville in 2014 and was expected to be a backup behind the starting trio of Kiko Alonso, Brandon Spikes, and Nigel Bradford. A season-ending injury to Alonso, however, meant he was pushed into the starting lineup sooner than expected and tallied 94% of the team’s defensive snaps on the year, the highest percentage on the Bills’ defense.

The Bills must believe in him after trading Kiko and letting Spikes walk. He's not flashy but is tough, instinctive and very consistent. Should be a solid piece of a good D for a long time.

As much as I take PFF grades with a grain of salt, they did wind up being spot on with Bradham last year.

I remember not being thrilled with the pick at the time, but the more I hear of him, the more it sounds like Brandon Spikes, only he isn't a liability in coverage.

Fwiw, last year PFF picked Bradham as their Secret Superstar who I thought had an excellent season and made big strides.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/20/secret-superstars-2014-buffalo-bills/

Brown looked good last year. If he makes a similar leap, our LBs will be looking very good.

you mean Nigel Bradford, as PFF puts it. Geez. This team needs to start winning some games; maybe then the media types will actually pick up a roster and read the names. You don't see anyone misspelling player names on the top 15 teams....

The Bills must believe in him after trading Kiko and letting Spikes walk. He's not flashy but is tough, instinctive and very consistent. Should be a solid piece of a good D for a long time.

Kiko didn't fit their defense for 2015 and Spikes was a 2 down guy. That said, Brown was put into the lineup early, wasn't a liability in coverage and improved throughout the season.

I always wondered when it comes to making a great decision on a draft pick, who gets more credit for the ability to see the talent and accurately project it at the NFL level - Whaley or the scouts?

Edited by dpberr

I always wondered when it comes to making a great decision on a draft pick, who gets more credit for the ability to see the talent and accurately project it at the NFL level - Whaley or the scouts?

I assume, like everything in football, it takes teamwork to get the job done. The glory goes to Whaley, but the credit should go to the entire front office -- scouts included. IMO

Interesting expert opinion on Nigel BradFORD's running mate. Oh well, I'll take any happy news.

They said the same about Bradham last year, kind of ironic they forgot his name. Lol.

It's not delivery...it's DiGiorgio!

Is this just coincidence?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AURT-qx6lII/TExxBfm1cTI/AAAAAAAAAjw/vjGbsWE_K24/s1600/john-digiorgio-buffalo-bills-football-2010-nfl.jpg

http://www.buffalobills.com/assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/article-assets/Story-Photos/2014-september/brown-takes-over-story.jpg

Lmao, I think not.

If the Bills continue their model of drafting quality starting caliber LB's and trading them for 26 year old All-Pro skill position players, we'll win the next ten Superbowls.

Next year will be Preston Brown for Alshon Jeffery straight up.

Preston Brown kicked a## and will only get better.

blew my mind by the end of the season.

a natural.

look for him to be captain.

now Bradham and Lawson run down the QB. if they so choose

Next year will be Preston Brown for Alshon Jeffery straight up.

Thats my concern. whaley will just find another nugget.

he does have knack it seems

But, we could have had Gabe Jackson or Martivius Bryant!!!!!!

Fwiw, last year PFF picked Bradham as their Secret Superstar who I thought had an excellent season and made big strides.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/20/secret-superstars-2014-buffalo-bills/

Brown looked good last year. If he makes a similar leap, our LBs will be looking very good.

Anyone who watched Bradham knew he was ready to emerge as a solid player. I was calling for this in 2013 when others were scratching their head. I said give it time, you'll see. But, that they call Bradham Bradford just goes to show that the real information is all driven by analytics from people who know nothing about the game.

Our next generation London Fletcher ?

If the Bills continue their model of drafting quality starting caliber LB's and trading them for 26 year old All-Pro skill position players, we'll win the next ten Superbowls.

You forgot about the part of paying peanuts to the draftees and the ransom to the 26 year old All-pro skill players.

Our next generation London Fletcher ?

You forgot about the part of paying peanuts to the draftees and the ransom to the 26 year old All-pro skill players.

except taller LOL. London was too short to be any good!

fact

Dont buy that Brown jersey just yet!

Oh hell no! that will sure enough get him traded or injured or he leaves the NFL and becomes a missionary. never buy the jersey!!!

He didn't make as many flashy plays & didn't have a Legend made about him, but Brown had a better all around rookie year than Kiko.

Of course, behind our defensive line, Betty White would be a serviceable LB.

i like where you're head's at, but if this is true, it's not as matter-of-fact as you made it seem.

i know stats don't tell the whole story, but the discrepancy in numbers is large:

(keep in mind both played mlb and both play every defensive snap of the year.)

Kiko: 159 tackles, 2 sacks, 4 int, 1 ff, 4 pd, 11 stf

Brown: 109 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 int, 0 ff, 7 pd, 7 stf

i like where you're head's at, but if this is true, it's not as matter-of-fact as you made it seem.

i know stats don't tell the whole story, but the discrepancy in numbers is large:

(keep in mind both played mlb and both play every defensive snap of the year.)

Kiko: 159 tackles, 2 sacks, 4 int, 1 ff, 4 pd, 11 stf

Brown: 109 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 int, 0 ff, 7 pd, 7 stf

Better defense = less chances to make plays because you're on the field less.

It's also worth noting that after game 5, Kiko didn't have an INT or sack.

Better defense = less chances to make plays because you're on the field less.

It's also worth noting that after game 5, Kiko didn't have an INT or sack.

After the whole season, Brown didn't have a sack, and only one INT.