Could the 2015 Bills start a trend?

I think most would categorize the 2015 Buffalo Bills as a team without a QB - meaning a "franchise QB" or in other words having one that has proven they can consistently be relied on to win games. Clearly we understand what they're doing - they attempting to win with a strong defense and running game.

It's a passing league, right? The league has clearly embraced this trend in many ways by protecting QB's and defenseless receivers. Just to be clear I'm not necessarily speaking against any of that. But the rules, height of receivers, coordinators mindsets, etc have created this pass and how to stop it phenomenon.

Not a whole lot has changed in terms of opportunity to run the ball. Maybe in the midst of conceding to not having a QB a new trend is about to start. Maybe teams will find out through the 2015 Bills that it's actually not prudent to keep looking for a franchise QB or even pay one if you do get one. We've seen the diminished importance of paying RB's and not too long ago teams spent a lot of resources trying to find a running back, then they just stopped. We've seen teams with franchise QB's that have had to pay a huge salary to that QB - to only watch their teams fall apart.

I think it's possible the Bills are creating not only another way to win - but THE new way to win. Stop the teams that have built around their QB and destroy the teams without one because that's all they've tried to do. Remember when the team that had the ball the most usually won the game (time of possession)? I think we'll do that too. In my opinion teams that throw the ball will be the only ones with a chance to beat us and that's going to be an uphill battle. I think we're going to create panic because they'll start to figure out it's going to be a while until they see the ball again.

Am I delusional? Or do the non national headline signings like Felton and Connor once again become the way to win in the NFL?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of the best RBs in the league were traded/let walk from their last teams. Connor and Felton will bounce around the league for a few more years.

The Bills were 2nd in the league in rushing with a pretty good defense 2 years ago and they still couldn't win.

I don't think they have invented anything....

Edited by Mr. WEO

Two of the best RBs in the league were traded/let walk from their last teams. Connor and Felton will bounce around the league for a few more years.

The Bills were 2nd in the league in rushing with a pretty good defense 2 years ago and they still couldn't win.

I think you'll agree we're a much different team than a couple years ago as our overall talent has significantly developed and been added upon. We ran the ball well but didn't stop the run - so we often didn't win that battle. I think there's been a concerted focus on building the team. I understand we've looked for a QB but without knowing it I think we could be creating the new way to win among the teams with the QB situation defined. I don't think we invented anything but trending back to an old way to win.

I think you'll agree we're a much different team than a couple years ago as our overall talent has significantly developed and been added upon. We ran the ball well but didn't stop the run - so we often didn't win that battle. I think there's been a concerted focus on building the team. I understand we've looked for a QB but without knowing it I think we could be creating the new way to win among the teams with the QB situation defined. I don't think we invented anything but trending back to an old way to win.

If we were much better against the run in 2013, I still don't see a winning record then. As for this year, it's not clear how far a run first offense will take them, no matter who is now on the roster.

Nice topic and I certainly HOPE you're on to something. I've thought for a while the contrarian has a general advantage. As rosters get built with LB's like Kiko, smash mouth becomes more sensible. Still, the league slants everything towards passing and more scoring. This should be interesting, because there's only a handful of franchise QB's, and a lot of them are aging. Things do go in cycles, but the league wants an exciting game.

And the high cost of the franchise QB would prohibit us from having the talented roster we can currently line up.

I think what you're looking at more simply put is a strong defense that can keep the offense off the field, a defense that can generate turnovers, and stop offenses gives the ball to the offense which can move the ball with skillset plaers and control the clock with a running game. A mauling offense that has speed in the specialty positions and designed to feature maulers on the line will benefit from a defense that is designed by Rex Ryan and hopefully a bit of what we saw under Schwartz and less of that Pettine. Schwartz created a unit that swarms across the field, Pettine created a defensive backfield unit that was given complete control of the field, and Ryan will utilize the best of both of those to let his LB's clean everything in between.

I have agreed for a while with your premise. We are on the verge of a run the ball down your throat league. More aggressive pass rushers on the line, tackling fundamentals fading, no hit zones, bigger CB's (yes, bigger is a bad thing on a CB when it comes to stopping the run, bigger target to block); everything that the league is turning in to is just going to make guys like Blount and big runners valuable. Guys like Peterson and Morris continue to be top level backs. Guys like McCoy and Forte solid level contributors that defenses cannot keep up with. And now that we have Felton and possibly Connor, too we have the lead blocker that teams are not accustomed to dealing with and we're going to hit people in the mouth.

I can't wait. I literally cannot wait to see the playbook of this team. If it sucks I might just have to write the team.

The only trend is that you need to have a quarterback that doesn't kill drives. Everything obviously hinges on that position this year.

If whoever starts, hopefully Manuel, gives at least average play, we'll win the East, IMO.

A great QB has never ever won anything without a great supporting cast, great coaching, great organization and a schit-ton of luck. I don't think it has ever happened. So many things have to come together at the same time for any team to win it all that even if the Bills had this miraculous run and against 50-1 odds won the Super Bowl it wouldn't be a blueprint for other teams to follow. It's as hard to build an across the board solid team with solid coaching and solid management and solid ownership as the Bills have this year as it is to find a franchise QB. There are a very limited number.

If the Bills win it won't be a trend. It will be like other teams that have won without a QB, good coaching and defensive talent. Those aren't trends, they can't be trends b.c they are rare occurrences that only come together with smart ownership thar hires the right coach at the right tim, and a good GM.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I believe the OP is on to something. In our last SB year ('93) there were 8 future QB HOFers starting in the League. More to the point, were the '2 tier' guys like Phil Simms, Randall Cunningham, Esiason, Krieg & McMahon. I don't even count Hostetler or Rypien, 1-hit Wonders of our nightmares.

I think there may be 4 now, with Brees & Luck TBD. But todays' 2nd Tier? Matty Ice, Flacco, Romo and Cam -among others-are all $100M players, eating nearly 20% of their teams Cap. Something's gotta give.

It's an interesting dycotomy that the League enhanced the game to showcase the players of yore, only to see an alarming drop off in quality play from the position. I think it's logical to build a stronger team around average QB play today.

I lament the impending death of the great QB's.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb1993

It's not about inventing anything and that's not what the OP implied at all. But as your usual shtick dictates you put words in his mouth. That's like saying you invented playing the devils advocated on a fine line that is border line trolling. You didn't...it's just how you choose to play the game. It's called a trend not an invention.

Certainly there is more passing right now. As such teams are more often built to stop the pass. If the o-line can figure it out and Roman can keep defenses on their toes just enough with the pass...we will be a team that opposing teams hate to play.

Other teams haven't hated to play us for a long time. That alone will be an upgrade and fun to watch.

It's amazing to me that we had the no 2 rushing game a few years ago. My sense is that that was the case, but that we were really inefficient running the ball. Would like to see our YPC that year.

The quarterback bashing in buffalo is way out of control in the national and local media.

EJ could easily step up and be the guy, Cassel won 11 games in New England

Taylor was hand picked by Rex....

I think most would categorize the 2015 Buffalo Bills as a team without a QB - meaning a "franchise QB" or in other words having one that has proven they can consistently be relied on to win games. Clearly we understand what they're doing - they attempting to win with a strong defense and running game.

It's a passing league, right? The league has clearly embraced this trend in many ways by protecting QB's and defenseless receivers. Just to be clear I'm not necessarily speaking against any of that. But the rules, height of receivers, coordinators mindsets, etc have created this pass and how to stop it phenomenon.

Not a whole lot has changed in terms of opportunity to run the ball. Maybe in the midst of conceding to not having a QB a new trend is about to start. Maybe teams will find out through the 2015 Bills that it's actually not prudent to keep looking for a franchise QB or even pay one if you do get one. We've seen the diminished importance of paying RB's and not too long ago teams spent a lot of resources trying to find a running back, then they just stopped. We've seen teams with franchise QB's that have had to pay a huge salary to that QB - to only watch their teams fall apart.

I think it's possible the Bills are creating not only another way to win - but THE new way to win. Stop the teams that have built around their QB and destroy the teams without one because that's all they've tried to do. Remember when the team that had the ball the most usually won the game (time of possession)? I think we'll do that too. In my opinion teams that throw the ball will be the only ones with a chance to beat us and that's going to be an uphill battle. I think we're going to create panic because they'll start to figure out it's going to be a while until they see the ball again.

Am I delusional? Or do the non national headline signings like Felton and Connor once again become the way to win in the NFL?

It depends upon whether or not the Bills actually win

Quietly, though, run-heavy teams without a fantastic QB have been going deep into the playoffs for a few years now. San Francisco, Seattle....Wilson is not Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by Hopeful

It's amazing to me that we had the no 2 rushing game a few years ago. My sense is that that was the case, but that we were really inefficient running the ball. Would like to see our YPC that year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/year/2013

Looks like Jackson was 4.3 and Spiller was 4.6. They combined (890+933) for 1,823 total rushing yards. Manuel and Choice amongst a few others rounded up the rest of the 2,307 total rushing yards.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2013.htm

In 2012 we were 6th in rushing with 2,207 total rushing yards.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/year/2012

In 2014? 25th with 1,482 yards. Spiller getting injured didn't help, or Fred for that matter, but our offense was so bad in all aspects last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

Edited by What a Tuel

So the OP is, roughly, arguing that the bills are inventing the Seahawks method?

I'm not sure that posters here are giving Russell Wilson enough credit. He may not be Manning, Brady or Rogers (or even Luck), but he's a gamer with the ability to hurt you with his arm, legs and head. If we could find someone half as good as he is, all elements considered, I think we win the East.

I'm not sure that posters here are giving Russell Wilson enough credit. He may not be Manning, Brady or Rogers (or even Luck), but he's a gamer with the ability to hurt you with his arm, legs and head. If we could find someone half as good as he is, all elements considered, I think we win the East.

I think that's a fair assessment. I don't know if anyone we have will step into that but we will see.

So the OP is, roughly, arguing that the bills are inventing the Seahawks method?

I thought of them as well. The thing is, as soon as Russell Wilson gets his deal, I doubt that this method can be sustained. And I really question if the Seahawks with Russell Wilson at $20+ million/ year will have as much success.

The Bills will still be a close to 50/50 run/pass team, imo. It's just that the circumstances that they choose to run or pass may be much different than past Bills teams.

Ryan is stuck with below average to maybe avg QB's. He and Whaley are doing the best with what is available. We have to hope Cassell can be a good game manager like Dilfer, and Brad Johnson. We have to hope Rex can turn this defense into the Ravens of 99. I don't know but it's the summer so I have high hopes. I know it's irrational, but Pettine's defense was so susceptible to the run, I hope we don't go back to that defense as it sucked having team rush for over 100 yards against us every week. I know Rex is known for stopping the run so just heop he can do it with us.

It's not about inventing anything and that's not what the OP implied at all. But as your usual shtick dictates you put words in his mouth. That's like saying you invented playing the devils advocated on a fine line that is border line trolling. You didn't...it's just how you choose to play the game. It's called a trend not an invention.

Certainly there is more passing right now. As such teams are more often built to stop the pass. If the o-line can figure it out and Roman can keep defenses on their toes just enough with the pass...we will be a team that opposing teams hate to play.

Other teams haven't hated to play us for a long time. That alone will be an upgrade and fun to watch.

He didn't call it a "trend"--you just put thoise words in his mouth.

This is what he actually said: "the Bills are creating not only another way to win - but THE new way to win." Creating something new is often called inventing.

Go back to school.

You are 100% correct.

A lot of people do not count the Seahawks as they consider Wilson a top QB. I think he is a good QB, I just think he is the worst of the best. So yeah, I'd say the Seahawks started it first. Of course we would be fantastic with a QB like Russell Wilson, but we'd be even better with a Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Luck etc.

Just being better than what we have shouldn't elevate Russell Wilson's "elite" status.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/year/2013

Looks like Jackson was 4.3 and Spiller was 4.6. They combined (890+933) for 1,823 total rushing yards. Manuel and Choice amongst a few others rounded up the rest of the 2,307 total rushing yards.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2013.htm

In 2012 we were 6th in rushing with 2,207 total rushing yards.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/year/2012

In 2014? 25th with 1,482 yards. Spiller getting injured didn't help, or Fred for that matter, but our offense was so bad in all aspects last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

My theory re last year was that the run game plummeted because we could only run out of a read option. When Orton came in, we had to abandon the read option; the more traditional running game then stunk. I guess the read option (even though EJ never ran) opened up some lanes for us.

This isn't something new.

Baltimore did it in the early 2000s, then Pittsburgh, the Jets, then Seattle and SF...

Front office personnel from those teams are now doing the same thing here.

I think the Bills could potentially start a new trend on offense if they got really creative with the combo of EJ and Tyrod.

We'll probably just see the same multiple system we've seen in SF, though, except with more spread formations.

A great QB has never ever won anything without a great supporting cast, great coaching, great organization and a schit-ton of luck. I don't think it has ever happened. So many things have to come together at the same time for any team to win it all that even if the Bills had this miraculous run and against 50-1 odds won the Super Bowl it wouldn't be a blueprint for other teams to follow. It's as hard to build an across the board solid team with solid coaching and solid management and solid ownership as the Bills have this year as it is to find a franchise QB. There are a very limited number.

Luck may get you a TD here, a turnover there, or a winning FG, but talent is the quality that provides consistency throughout a season. I fail to comprehend why fans consistently cite luck as the thing keeping this team from winning.

And it's tiring to hear people make excuses about why the Bills haven't found a good QB, not necessarily a franchise guy. They've missed so many opportunities, particularly draft day 2011, 2012, and 2014 which gets us to 2015. Now, they're depending on a journeyman they traded low picks for (Cassel), a complete unknown (T. Taylor), and a first round pick who's shown precious little in 2 seasons (Manuel).

The coaching staff is better and the skill positions are better. The question is will the QB position negate all of it.

Could've sworn I just watched Tom Brady win a Super Bowl with one great TE, some mediocre WRs, an UDFA RB and a worse defense than the Bills.

Yes they snatched victory out of the jaws of defeat from a team built similar to the Buffalo Bills. That's my point - this is how you contend with the great QB teams. Commit to it as much as teams do trying to find a QB. Before anyone says it - of course it appears Wilson puts them over the top to a contender. Will it be Seattle's downfall to pay Wilson and let many key players walk? They aren't committed to staying the course.

If we were much better against the run in 2013, I still don't see a winning record then. As for this year, it's not clear how far a run first offense will take them, no matter who is now on the roster.

I know that its hard to remember the overall live action of things from year to year but.....

The 2013 bills defense was fun to watch because Pettine brought the farm......a LOT.......but it was done at the expense of big plays when the house didnt get there......and we CONSISTANTLY gave up crucial 1st downs on the ground because of the "get to the QB at all costs" Pettine defense

Rex Ryans defenses are not like that......they are consistantly ranked high against the run to go along with exotic pass rush schemes.

This does make a difference

Had last years team been effective AT ALL on offense we would have had a much better record then 9 and 7.....I truly believe that.

Be that as it may

The defense is the constant on our team....we KNOW they are gonna be good...with Rex Ryan's mind at the helm they might even be great....BUT this team will only go as far as its offense takes it PAST a 9 and 7 type record

We MUST convert 1st downs on the ground in this scheme

We MUST score touchdowns instead of field goals

We MUST score in the red zone....be it run or pass

Now.....the arrow is pointing up here regardless of QB

- Sammy Watkins....a GENERATIONAL talent.....the bill is paid on this receiver (meaning compensation) and he is now in his 2nd year.......I expect this guy go have a big year REGARDLESS of whether we are biult to run the ball.....he is simply too good.......AJ Green good

- The running back stable IS improved.....there is no other way around this.....when Fred Jackson has been relegated to a limited carry role because we have a running back that is so good he has been forced there....u KNOW that you have improved the positon

- We have not had a TE of Clay's quality for years and years

- Wood also should continue to improve....and is completely being looked over right now

- The interior of the OL has been upgraded

Now.....all they have to do is prove it on the field.....not an easy task.....but hey. We are bills fans......so we are used to wait and see.

They took a small step last year...I think they continue to do that.

I don't think the Bills are starting a trend but I do think for whatever reason there has been a dearth of quality QBs coming out of the draft - so when Manning, Brady, Brees retire you only got one guy (Andrew Luck) who

really takes their place and then two inferior QBs making the top ten, a couple years later Romo, Rivers and Roethlisberger retire and I think the process repeats itself ( and right now I don't even know who that one quality QB would be maybe Carr? Winston?)

I don't think the Bills are starting a trend but I do think for whatever reason there has been a dearth of quality QBs coming out of the draft - so when Manning, Brady, Brees retire you only got one guy (Andrew Luck) who

really takes their place and then two inferior QBs making the top ten, a couple years later Romo, Rivers and Roethlisberger retire and I think the process repeats itself ( and right now I don't even know who that one quality QB would be maybe Carr? Winston?)

Bridgewater. Next year's class looks good, too. You have at least two 1st round QBs coming out of pro systems.

I know that its hard to remember the overall live action of things from year to year but.....

The 2013 bills defense was fun to watch because Pettine brought the farm......a LOT.......but it was done at the expense of big plays when the house didnt get there......and we CONSISTANTLY gave up crucial 1st downs on the ground because of the "get to the QB at all costs" Pettine defense

Rex Ryans defenses are not like that......they are consistantly ranked high against the run to go along with exotic pass rush schemes.

This does make a difference

Had last years team been effective AT ALL on offense we would have had a much better record then 9 and 7.....I truly believe that.

Be that as it may

The defense is the constant on our team....we KNOW they are gonna be good...with Rex Ryan's mind at the helm they might even be great....BUT this team will only go as far as its offense takes it PAST a 9 and 7 type record

We MUST convert 1st downs on the ground in this scheme

We MUST score touchdowns instead of field goals

We MUST score in the red zone....be it run or pass

Now.....the arrow is pointing up here regardless of QB

- Sammy Watkins....a GENERATIONAL talent.....the bill is paid on this receiver (meaning compensation) and he is now in his 2nd year.......I expect this guy go have a big year REGARDLESS of whether we are biult to run the ball.....he is simply too good.......AJ Green good

- The running back stable IS improved.....there is no other way around this.....when Fred Jackson has been relegated to a limited carry role because we have a running back that is so good he has been forced there....u KNOW that you have improved the positon

- We have not had a TE of Clay's quality for years and years

- Wood also should continue to improve....and is completely being looked over right now

- The interior of the OL has been upgraded

Now.....all they have to do is prove it on the field.....not an easy task.....but hey. We are bills fans......so we are used to wait and see.

They took a small step last year...I think they continue to do that.

Thank you. The difference between EJ and Orton last year was that Orton could consistently get us to the red zone. The problem was we rarely got touchdowns. Then we would lose games we should've won to the Dolphins, Raiders, Chiefs, and Broncos. We had 12-4/13-3 potential last year.

We consistently year in and year out have a terrible red zone percentage. The next two problems are third down offense and third down defense, especially in the 4th quarter. Those three things are the reason we haven't been to the playoffs in 15 years. Not just because of a QB.

What's interesting to me is that those three quality are all crunch-time/clutch qualities. In other words, mental. That's why people say we don't have any luck. That's why people get annoyed with the losing attitudes. It's like the team expects to lose and ends up losing. I believe that mental expectation of victory/will to win was the difference between 9-7 and 12-4 last year. That Tom Brady, I'm going to win no matter how bad I played the last 3 quarters mentality and nothing is going to stop me. We haven't had that in a long time.

Edited by musichunch

Bridgewater. Next year's class looks good, too. You have at least two 1st round QBs coming out of pro systems.

lets see who gets there, I remember when people thought the Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson class was going to light it up

lets see who gets there, I remember when people thought the Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson class was going to light it up

Yeah, let's see. There have been lulls in QB talent before. I don't know why some people seem to think there are no good QBs in the pipeline. I guess it's just a matter of opinion right now, but I think Luck, Wilson, Bridgewater, and Carr are good. And, of course, Eli, Big Ben, Rivers, Rodgers, and Stafford will still be around for a while.