Bills' Organized Team Activities Week 3: June 8-11

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sal does a nice job.

I like him so much more than the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad Joe Buscaglia.

Once again, Sal on S&B show today, trying to downplay the Joe B. take and Schopp was having none of it.

Once again, Sal on S&B show today, trying to downplay the Joe B. take and Schopp was having none of it.

Schopp also said yesterday that he predicts McCoy will not have a great year because he doesn't like him.

@buffalobills: Stay current with this full video update of #BillsOTAs, week three: http://t.co/IQhD34z5Y6http://t.co/l9a9Ov4KJf

Haven't had a chance to listen to this yet, but he's typically pretty positive about the team. Also assume they discuss his brother.

@JohnMurphyShow: Chris Simms: Bold Predictions for the 2015 Bills http://t.co/7gtmIgWzJR

Edited by YoloinOhio

The fact that the work so far has not been mandatory to this point is really beside the point. If the guy was serious about wanting to play for this team he would have been there. Unless he comes in and is the second coming at this point, he is done with this team, and probably with the NFL. No other explanation other than lazy.

My response was to a post about why haven't they cut him YET. He's toast in my opinion, but at this current moment there is no reason/benefit to cut him. If you did cut him you would just have the cap room. If you want to sign someone, then you cut him when the deal is inked. His position on the team is very tenuous.

Schopp also said yesterday that he predicts McCoy will not have a great year because he doesn't like him.

Schopp also thought the Bears were the team to beat going into last season. If he likes or hates something, it's a good bet the opposite will happen.

audio

Does he?

Walken has the scariest monotone ever

you guys are mighty too familiar with this guy Walken.

i have concerns.

no i dont.

i was was chuckling when i wrote that. ^^

If Lal can get our guys moving like Walken we will be gold. That guy has moves that are out of this world. YouTube Walken's dancing.

@mikerodak

Ron Brooks and Ross Cockrell working as 1st team CBs, followed by Darby and Rod Sweeting

Doesn't bother mentioning that starters are injured?

@SalSports: I added this nugget to the Bills OTA info, by the way. Thought it was interesting: http://t.co/7mLgy6cIex

I remember many of these tricks. Canola oil on your jersey. Vaseline on your arms. Soak your jersey in carwash fluid or laundry detergent and let it dry. Carpet tape on your shoulder pads and under your jersey to keep it being pulled away.

Haven't had a chance to listen to this yet, but he's typically pretty positive about the team. Also assume they discuss his brother.

@JohnMurphyShow: Chris Simms: Bold Predictions for the 2015 Bills http://t.co/7gtmIgWzJR

First time I listened to Simms. The guy really does his homework. Good listen.

I remember many of these tricks. Canola oil on your jersey. Vaseline on your arms. Soak your jersey in carwash fluid or laundry detergent and let it dry. Carpet tape on your shoulder pads and under your jersey to keep it being pulled away.

I seem to remember years ago after the Bills played (and beat) Detroit, players joking about Barry Saunders jersey and saying what they put on it was "the slipperiest stuff"

Isn't all the soaking and spraying against the rules? I have read, though, that LB and DLmen have their jerseys taped and fitted like fashion models so there's little left to grab.

Funny that the Bills WR are doing this for practice. Competitive bunch.

Chris Hogan: "Coach (Sanjay) Lal Has Been Great" (7:07)

WR Chris Hogan talks about adapting to life with a new coaching staff, the style of new Wide Receivers Coach Sanjay Lal and the depth at the wide receiver position.

Eric Wood: "I'm Enjoying Learning This Offense" (7:53)

C Eric Wood talks about learning the new offense, his impressions of John Miller and the influence of new Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer.

I'm starting to think that Cassel will be the odd man out.

EJ and Tyrod would have to pull away from him quite a bit for the staff to be comfortable releasing the one guy with substantial experience.

Worth a listen. Sammy was so worth that trade and pick; can't wait to see what he does in this offense.

Agreed.....also.....Sammy is ours in his 2nd year and the compensation for him is behind us......got our 1st again next year

Meanwhile....Darby is shining at camp at the 50th pick and might really have a 1st round value on him

I think Tyrod could be the veteran presence and he's a lot cheaper.

As for Darby, everything I read about him made him like the best cover corner in the draft. Not sure why he slipped to the mid 2nd round. But it's the Bills' gain.

Cassel hasn't been good for several seasons now. I'm not sure why anyone would expect him to suddenly improve at age 33.

Seems to me that Cassel has played well when he's had good protection, and poorly when he hasn't. I don't see it as a question of him "suddenly improving." If anything, he is a known commodity, and if he fits the offense, we know what we are going to get from him. If our front line plays up to his needs, I would expect him to start. If it doesn't, and we need a passer with better mobility, more athleticism, who can perform out of the pocket, I think they go with one of the other guys. And, we're probably screwed at that point, anyway.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Interesting that the Bills seemed hot on extending Cassel right after the trade and there has been little talk of that after OTA's began. I don't think he gets cut but I wonder if he is a one year experienced insurance policy...and the QB dollars occupies go to the draft or extending EJ or TT..

Edited by Formerly Joe F

Seems to me that Cassel has played well when he's had good protection, and poorly when he hasn't. I don't see it as a question of him "suddenly improving." If anything, he is a known commodity, and if he fits the offense, we know what we are going to get from him. If our front line plays up to his needs, I would expect him to start. If it doesn't, and we need a passer with better mobility, more athleticism, who can perform out of the pocket, I think they go with one of the other guys. And, we're probably screwed at that point, anyway.

I think you’re looking at this all wrong. IMO, Greg Roman wants either Manuel or Taylor’s starting because they both have the ability to scare defenses with their wheels. If you add a mobile QB in the mix on offense with guys like Watkins, Harvin, Clay and McCoy…you have the ability to actually scare a defense till the final tick of the clock. If Cassel were a much better passer than either Manuel or Taylor then there'd be something to what you're suggesting, but that's not the case.
IMO Cassel was always the emergency parachute QB who would take over if Manuel and Taylor just play horribly bad. IMO he is a guy who’s time has come and gone and he’s on NFL backup QB career cruise control now. I have nothing but his stats and career path after he was benched for Brady Quinn to go by, but that’s how I’ve always felt about Cassel after he was signed here.

I think you’re looking at this all wrong. IMO, Greg Roman wants either Manuel or Taylor’s starting because they both have the ability to scare defenses with their wheels. If you add a mobile QB in the mix on offense with guys like Watkins, Harvin, Clay and McCoy…you have the ability to actually scare a defense till the final tick of the clock. If Cassel were a much better passer than either Manuel or Taylor then there'd be something to what you're suggesting, but that's not the case.
IMO Cassel was always the emergency parachute QB who would take over if Manuel and Taylor just play horribly bad. IMO he is a guy who’s time has come and gone and he’s on NFL backup QB career cruise control now. I have nothing but his stats and career path after he was benched for Brady Quinn to go by, but that’s how I’ve always felt about Cassel after he was signed here.

There's certainly something to that-- much more so for Tyrod, than EJ. But, I think you (and most people) are underestimating Cassel. I think that going into OTAs, it was generally assumed (by coaches, and pundits) that Cassel was the more accurate of the three. I'm not sure if that is still the consensus, as Taylor has been impressing with his accuracy.

But, if our front line turns into an efficient unit, that can maintain the pocket for an adequate amount of time, I believe that the QB who performs best in the pocket will win the competition. I don't think that Roman will be game planning for the QB to scramble, unless he has to. I tend to think of Cassel as something of a known commodity. I don't see any real mystery between his rotten seasons, and his decent ones. To me, that means that neither should be discounted, and if he is afforded the protection he was at KC, and NE, he should be able to play up to his higher level. If that happens, I think he wins the job. Unless, of course, EJ or Tyrod make serious gains on what they've shown in the past.

There's certainly something to that-- much more so for Tyrod, than EJ. But, I think you (and most people) are underestimating Cassel. I think that going into OTAs, it was generally assumed (by coaches, and pundits) that Cassel was the more accurate of the three. I'm not sure if that is still the consensus, as Taylor has been impressing with his accuracy.

But, if our front line turns into an efficient unit, that can maintain the pocket for an adequate amount of time, I believe that the QB who performs best in the pocket will win the competition. I don't think that Roman will be game planning for the QB to scramble, unless he has to. I tend to think of Cassel as something of a known commodity. I don't see any real mystery between his rotten seasons, and his decent ones. To me, that means that neither should be discounted, and if he is afforded the protection he was at KC, and NE, he should be able to play up to his higher level. If that happens, I think he wins the job. Unless, of course, EJ or Tyrod make serious gains on what they've shown in the past.

Any KC or Minny fan will tell you should underestimate Cassel.

Any KC or Minny fan will tell you should underestimate Cassel.

The fans who tend to underestimate players (or overestimate them :flirt: ) are those that prefer to form their opinions first, and then selectively choose the stats that back up their claim. I don't see any value in that approach. Cassel had two exceptional seasons, and a handful of crappy ones. I think (although, not being a Minny, or KC fan, I can say for sure) that that had to do with the amount of protection he had at the line. At least, that seems to be the consensus. I don't see any reason to believe that he played well for two seasons by accident.

Bingo.

@ChrisTrapasso

Pre-TC prediction after rewatching all his NFL throws: if #Bills OL keeps EJ's pressure % under 32 (36 in '14) BUF should win 10 or 11 games

Majority of EJ's mistakes were typical of (good or bad) rookie QB. Usually when under pressure or when timing with WR/TE/RB wasnt perfect...

...but he showed he can be accurate when in a rhythm/not having to deal with rushers every other snap. #Bills have ? at OG and RT. If...

...those ? are "semi" solved in '15, with a loaded roster, based on '13 & '14 tape, I think EJ will be fine. Not great. But fine.

I've watched Cassel's recent film too, and I think, only 14 starts in, EJ provides more and obviously has 10x more upside.

Blake Bortles has played in the same amount of games as EJ and has attempted more passes.

EJ certainly has much to prove. If you think Cassel or Taylor should start, that's fine. I just think Manuel has best tools & is best option

To me, EJ is #Bills' best QB option, but he could flop. Just think they need to give him more than 14 games. If bad, draft QB early in '16.

The fans who tend to underestimate players (or overestimate them :flirt: ) are those that prefer to form their opinions first, and then selectively choose the stats that back up their claim. I don't see any value in that approach. Cassel had two exceptional seasons, and a handful of crappy ones. I think (although, not being a Minny, or KC fan, I can say for sure) that that had to do with the amount of protection he had at the line. At least, that seems to be the consensus. I don't see any reason to believe that he played well for two seasons by accident.

Not accident, no. But it's not just protection, either. The OC he had in 2008 in NE was McDaniels and the Pats had >500 rushing attempts, 4th in the league. The OC he had in his good year in KC was Charlie Weis and the Chiefs were #1 in the league in rushing attempts with >550.

IMO, Cassel is a system QB. His history says he functions best in a run-heavy, run-first system where he passes just enough to keep the defense honest. And even there, he's inconsistent - one game great, 72% completions , next game Meh, 54% completions. If he's asked to be a typical NFL QB in a typical modern NFL system, he doesn't do so well, quite possibly due to his physical limitations betraying his mental abilities**? Not sure on that, but anyway, McDaniels, Weis, run-heavy, facts.

**I don't think it's an accident that Fitzy had by far the best year of his pro career down in Houston 2014 which was #1 in the league for rushing attempts, either.