Bills' Organized Team Activities Week 2: June 1-4

Are people really concerned about them taking 1 day off of practice on June 1st?!?

This idea is a home run. Rex gets it. Hitching his wagon to those early 90's teams is a phenomenal idea for both himself and the current team. He is creating a culture that people want to be a part of. That is important. We overlook the importance of recruiting far too often on here. In the world of the salary cap every gets paid virtually the same so it is important to separate yourselves from others. When I worked in the NBA our GM said that recruiting is the biggest thing that the casual fan does not understand. They believe it is just a number and the highest number wins. That is why you need to have the nicest training facilities. You need to give special access and perks to their families. You have to do different things. How important are days like today in your pursuit of re-signing Dareus and Gilmore? How important is this if you are going to re-do Mario's contact?!? You have to create and environment where players and their families want to be.

i think it brings up bad memories like how Rex took the Jets to Dave and Buster's before playing us. he is a "player's coach" but maybe he's too much of one at times. team building is good but so is discipline and structure. i think a good coach has a mix of both. Rex has been accused of being too much of a pushover at times. maybe he should have waited until the last day of OTA's to do something like this if they were ahead of schedule or something. i don't care either way. i can see how some people wouldn't like it though

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it brings up bad memories like how Rex took the Jets to Dave and Buster's before playing us. he is a "player's coach" but maybe he's too much of one at times. team building is good but so is discipline and structure. i think a good coach has a mix of both. Rex has been accused of being too much of a pushover at times. maybe he should have waited until the last day of OTA's to do something like this if they were ahead of schedule or something. i don't care either way. i can see how some people wouldn't like it though

And anyone comparing an outing to a video game arcade before a regular season game with an outing on June 1st to a Bills' HOFer's charity golf tournament needs to have his head examined.

the nay sayers won't like this

I was impressed—for instance, he saw a guy, he looked over the field and made a great throw down the field,” said Ryan. “Clearly, to me, it shows he can see the field. That’s impressive to me. There was no question about it mentally. He was sharp. That part I was impressed with, with EJ.”

I usually try to avoid the black and white on here but he is right. You don't do things like this to win over the fans you do them to win over the locker room. That is infinitely more important. I've been around good locker rooms and bad locker rooms. The closest teams that I have been around were also the best. I've also seen situations where everyone wasn't on the same page and it snowballed.

He is accomplishing WAY more today than 2 hours of practice would have.

Too bad about the weather - it's like that here too. But im sure it won't detract much from the experience unless its pouring.

I don't think the hard stuff will start coming for a while.

They did get some football in...

@mikerodak: Today's Bills organized team activity: ball toss in Batavia http://t.co/dmgWtG2i9R

Watch the long drive competition live...

Sal Capaccio ‏@SalSports

LIVE on #Periscope: Long drive contest at Jim Kelly's Golf Tournament. https://www.periscope.tv/w/V02a9DY2MDI3OXwxNjgwMDA0MT8J1pA6OKl9QZ_ZzzjmuCTT6mALfO9LurtCFBheMTq9

Jimbo live now

i saw the vine of Randell Johnson - hilarious

its not so much taking a day off, as it is seeing a great opportunity for team building. Imo

Hell yes, & what better reason could there be? Nicely done Rex. This isn't about being a players coach IMO it's about doing something for a friend.

@salmaiorana

A unique OTA day for Ryan, #Bills. Hanging at Jim Kellys golf tournament. Here’s my story. http://on.rocne.ws/1I21ZMz

via @DandC_Sports

proxy.jpg?t=HBi7AWh0dHA6Ly93d3cuZ2FubmV0

Sounds like only a few played - the rest got a short day

Ryan and several players took part in the long drive contest which drew many more laughs than impressive shots. And while some of the Bills' better golfers like Cassel, Kyle Williams, Dan Carpenter, and Eric Wood teed it up with assigned foursomes, the rest of the players mingled with the crowd and then boarded the buses bound for Buffalo to enjoy the rest of a welcomed day off.

It is a classy move for Jim's charity. No doubt this idea was constructed between Rex and Jim and a few cold ones. :beer:

Classy? Impossible! HOF Watkins assured us all that Rex Ryan is too "white trash" to be classy in any respect and would do nothing but stain Buffalo's reputation. At least in comparison to Bill Belichick that is...

Thought this line from EJ was interesting:

"I think it just really allows us to go out there and be ourselves," said Maunel. "There's not a lot of pressure or anything like that. What I mean is that we can just go out there and make place, instead of trying to force things to happen and what not. If it's a bad play let's move on to the next one. I think that's the kind of mindset we need to have as a team"

Definitely lends to the Marrone coaching him to NOT make mistakes! I wonder if there was any "The play goes to X, not Y!" happening (i.e. force it to go where we say, not where you see an open guy)? Also wonder how that pressure affected all of our QBs, we all saw Uncle Orton get worse as the season went on...

OK, back to golf! :beer: