Prediction Time! What Will Tom Brady's Punishment Be?

361 members have voted

1. 1. What will Tom Brady's penalty be for 'Deflategate'?

• No penalty. The NFL will have a meeting with him, and declare the situation resolved.
    • Small to moderate fine. (Less than $500k)
    • Larger fine. ($500k and above)
    • 1-2 game suspension
    • 3 or more game suspension
    • Lifetime ban.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't be suspended, the league wants him playing in prime time on opening night

No way there is a suspension. Patriots open the season on a Thursday night against pitts, way too much money to lose for the nfl if tom isn't playing

The league wants the most viewers possible. The question is what draws more viewers, Tom Brady and the Pats* or the Pats* possible demise without Tom Brady? I think the majority of fans would vote the latter.

He won't be suspended, the league wants him playing in prime time on opening night

I understand this sentiment, but what if the NFL changes the schedule so that the Patriots are not playing on opening Thursday night?

Does this change your thinking?

Further, the NFL is the most successful and popular piece of sports entertainment in the history of sports entertainment.

Does it really matter who plays in that opening Thursday night slot?

Most NFL fans will be hungry for whatever piece of meat the NFL throws at them, including a cheap cut.

The league wants the most viewers possible. The question is what draws more viewers, Tom Brady and the Pats* or the Pats* possible demise without Tom Brady? I think the majority of fans would vote the latter.

I'd say the NFL would see a boost in ratings for the Brady-less Pats for one game, since they can really hardsell the drama/story. But after that? I have a feeling there would be lower ratings.

Really? i disagree. Fans watch stars, love or hate them. It sounds pretty far fetched to say there will be more viewers with jimmy garrolopo playing over tom brady "the golden boy"

I'd say the NFL would see a boost in ratings for the Brady-less Pats for one game, since they can really hardsell the drama/story. But after that? I have a feeling there would be lower ratings.

Not only that but the NFL already made their money on the TV deal. The networks would be the ones affected by the lower ratings, which like you said probably wouldn't be any lower, and may be higher.

Really? i disagree. Fans watch stars, love or hate them. It sounds pretty far fetched to say there will be more viewers with jimmy garrolopo playing over tom brady "the golden boy"

I'm sure a lot of fans watch stars, but in my opinion, most fans who are a neutral 3rd party observer of a given game watch "good games" not stars.

Remember the early season game last year when KC kicked the crap out of NE in KC?

That game had Brady in it, and he's as big a star as there is in the NFL.

And yet most probably shut that game off at half time, because its was a crappy game and the outcome was already decided.

Well, at least those not living within 100 miles of KC or those living in NE.

Which makes up about 96% of the country.

Edited by Stopthepain

No way there is a suspension. Patriots open the season on a Thursday night against pitts, way too much money to lose for the nfl if tom isn't playing

That game will have massive ratings regardless of whether Tom Brady is playing or not. There won't be much difference either way whether he is starting or not (in my opinion).

Really? Everybody likes to watch a cheater get his comeuppance.

IMO, it would be "reality TV" to a lot of fans who'd never bother to watch a Pats regular season non-prime time game...

I'm sure a lot of fans watch stars, but in my opinion, most fans who are a neutral 3rd party observer of a given game watch "good games" not stars.

Remember the early season game last year when KC kicked the crap out of NE in KC?

That game had Brady in it, and he's as big a star as there is in the NFL.

And yet most probably shut that game off at half time, because its was a crappy game and the outcome was already decided.

Well, at least those not living within 100 miles of KC or those living in NE.

Which makes up about 96% of the country.

Valid points for sure, but in my opinion i also think it looks bad to the nfl if there poster boy is suspended for the opening game. Just my opinion, none of us know now but I just can't see them suspending him for a variety of reasons

Patriots are repeat integrity of the game offenders, so discipline will be higher. The Sean Payton precedence set the standard of a coach being accountable for the actions of his team and coaches, even without any direct knowledge of what was occurring.

Brady 8 games

Belichick 1 season

Patriots $1M fine

After reading the report which is way more scathing than I expected, I don't see how the NFL can give less than that. So that is what I expect.

I voted for lunch with Rog and Bob a few good laughs, after dinner drinks and then Rog issued a statement .."we have met and gave a (howard) stern warning and Tom and Bob said they were sorry, so this subject is closed and all tapes, e-mails will be locked up for 100 years so the public can relax"

I chose "3 games."

Because of the evidence of past cheating, and not just this one time.

I suspect he will be suspended 5-6 games, he will appeal, and it will be reduced to 2-3.

(Also, because he is a STAR player, I wouldnt be surprised if they let him do it alternate weeks or something, or maybe it wont start in week 1. Anything to accomodate the Patriots).

cheater fans are saying nothing was done wrong or that the ball guys did it without anyone directing them to they just did it cause they thought they needed too.

Are they also saying it didnt affect the outcome of any games?

Are they also saying that it only happened that one time?

Edited by maddenboy

I want more, but this is what I expect.

Brady= 2 games or fine ( $250K-$500K )

Belichick= nothing

Patriots Org.= nothing

All in all, not much considering they got a 4th ring out of it. I wish the report would have come out with conclusive evidence. The " more likely than not " or " generally aware " makes it sound so elusive. I hate it !

Kraft is such a douchebag. Say what you will about Goodell, but Kraft was beating the drum hard to have the Pats completely exonerated and the report doesn't do that.

Did you see his response to the report ? He's still claiming that it does not prove anything etc...Unbelievable.

Two games and a tarnished legacy.

I agree. But what gets me is that the team and their fans don't care. They have those 4 rings and laughing it up no matter what other fans think. They couldn't care less about us saying that it's tainted.

I say he does, I predict 8 game suspension

which will be reduced to 6 and a half million

dollar fine.

chime with your thoughts

his actions effect the entire teams* reputation. ( or what's left of it) But ignorance on kraft or his coach, or the QB coach anyone really does not matter. IMO,the league takes away a 2016 draft pick too.

I'm a walking contradiction. I want Brady* and the pats* to get punished for being the cheating cheaters that they are, but I also want to beat the *pats with Brady* under center -- and I think the Bills can. To have him miss that game will only mean the win "won't count" because Brady* wasn't active.

So I don't know what to root for.

Patriots are repeat integrity of the game offenders, so discipline will be higher. The Sean Payton precedence set the standard of a coach being accountable for the actions of his team and coaches, even without any direct knowledge of what was occurring.

Brady 8 games

Belichick 1 season

Patriots $1M fine

After reading the report which is way more scathing than I expected, I don't see how the NFL can give less than that. So that is what I expect.

^^^This guy for NFL Commissioner. Boom!

Brady 8 games

Belichick 1 season

Patriots $1M fine

This is a great post, I hope you are right.

I wonder if the Patriots will work some of your comments into an upcoming marketing campaign.

The New England Patriots: Repeat Offenders of the Integrity of the Game, 19 Years and Counting.

Did you see his response to the report ? He's still claiming that it does not prove anything etc...Unbelievable.

I agree. But what gets me is that the team and their fans don't care. They have those 4 rings and laughing it up no matter what other fans think. They couldn't care less about us saying that it's tainted.

SF Giant fans think Barry Bonds is innocent to.

NFL season opens in New England on a Thursday night. No way are they not going to have the golden boy on the field. Just a fine which he will recoup from ownership.

his appeal will let him play until some easy part of the schedule comes up. Goodell understands ratings just like the sponsors do.

Farve got a 50k fine. I think this is worse, but not too much worse. Maybe 100k fine. Maybe one game suspension.

The real kicker will be if Brady didnt tell Billicheck what was really going on. If that trust erodes...game on!

Just for ***** and giggles, how is this thread different than the "PREDICT THE PENALTY" thread already created?

Anyhoo, I'll predict: 2 game suspension for Brady, not other penalty for anyone else associated with the Patriots organization or the organization itself.

what do they lose, money-wise?

Not a friggin penny, in fact they pry make more because NBC will promote it as "Can the Patriots overcome the loss of Tom Brady the bestest ever?" and the Stone Phillips will say"or will they not"

Edited by Mike in Horseheads