Help Me Understand The Hate of The Preseason Game

T master

The past few years there has been a ramped up view of doing away with a couple of preseason games & adding a couple games to the regular season , which i really have a hard time understanding why so many people hate the preseason games !!

I get it that there could be a season ending injury to key players but that could happen weather the game is in regular or pre season . If the players body is weak in one area it's gonna happen . Heck even Kiko last year , he was just working out & we all know what happened to him .

I think that the preseason games play a huge roll in implementation of the offensive & defensive schemes , unless of coarse the team has the same coordinator for a long period of time which our beloved Bills haven't had the luxury of . Then nothing really changes & you just add some wrinkles here & there .

It's like any thing else right , you can practice all you want but until you are in a "live bullet" (I love Bob Seger) situation with the opponent really trying to stop you , you can't really tell how your execution of the scheme is going to work .

It's kind of like drafting a QB out of college . Sure Tim Teabow was one of the most winning QB's the Gators ever had , so was Warfeul at his school , so was Schuler , but until they were on the field in live action (i love the turtle man) you never know how they will perform .

Isn't that the same as the schemes of the offense & defense coordinators on a NFL team ?

Too isn't that the same thing as the coaches saying the players can come into camp in shape but they aren't in "Football/Game shape" ?

Maybe they should adopt a rule that only the teams with new HC's & staff are the teams that need to have preseason games . But there again will the players be in "Football Shape" ?

Another thing is how can a staff figure out if a rookie looks good ? Like Mayock says they can look good in shorts but you don't know until they are in pads . I think the only way coaches can figure if a player can or will adjust to the NFL is if they can see them play against other NFLers !

In Live Action ( Love Turtle man)

I would rather have that than have them put a player on a roster & it take half the season to figure out if that roster spot was a waste . Which i know that happens especially at the QB position , but isn't it easier to determine if a players skills will translate to the NFL by a coach with more in game experience to see ?

I don't know i like to see the preseason games if for nothing else to see the rookies & how they are going to pan out .

Not to mention the Fans need to get into Tail gating shape . Do you know the injuries that can happen from just being thrown into a tail gate situation with no Pre TG experience ?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVvJbZSlVfAsALAcnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&va=Bills+tailgating&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

I was wondering this because of a article i read on Rumblings saying that Galliford didn't like preseason games & was wondering the over all thought of the hate for preseason games ...

Biggest complaint is typically season ticket holders having to pay full price. If it were a free add on, I don't think you see many complaints (despite the fact that I think teams look at the package as tiered, realistically.

Next up many think it's a middle ground for adding real games- trade 2 preseason for 2 regular.

I don't much mind them but I'm not excited for them either

it's much like if a female that i was pursuing were to show me her melons in early august, but insist that we wait until september to actually copulate.

pondering this concept.

not sure.

Seems like a good thing but drive you nuts.

Source : i have experienced similar things

Edited by 3rdand12

One word: Injuries.

I am always holding my breath on every single play. "Please god get up." "Please god dont get hurt." "Please dont try so hard."

And the idea of hoping my team doesnt try too hard makes it borderline unwatchable. I'm not enjoying any of it.

Except the 3rd preseason game. That's the only one thats close to real football. But I'm still worried about injuries.

From a team perspective, there is absolutely nothing beneficial to a pre-season game. The game action is about as realistic as pro wrestling - the teams do talk about the "rules" of engagement and what their goals are going in. That's why you see a lot of teams play each other in pre-season year after year.

From a league perspective it gives them a chance to get the refs, replay, camera crews, etc.. ready before the games really count. The benefit is skewed to league agenda items.

I've never understood the twisted panties over paying for preseason games. Just donate the tickets to a worthy charity like the Boys and Girls Club. Then you can deduct from your taxes the face value of the tickets as a charitable donation.

As a kid, growing up in a large family (8 kids), and parents of medium income, I can tell you, pre-season games, as silly as they may seem, always meant the world to me. My dad was a cop, and a war vet. Every summer, he was bound to get some free tickets. He and my uncle would take me and my brother...it was right up there with Crystal Beach as an annual summer highlight for me. I always get nostalgic for August football...the last gasp of fun before the school and winter doldrums set in...sure regular season is better (absurd they charge full price for exhibition games)...all part of the pacing of the season...I'll never complain!

The past few years there has been a ramped up view of doing away with a couple of preseason games & adding a couple games to the regular season , which i really have a hard time understanding why so many people hate the preseason games !!

I get it that there could be a season ending injury to key players but that could happen weather the game is in regular or pre season . If the players body is weak in one area it's gonna happen . Heck even Kiko last year , he was just working out & we all know what happened to him .

I think that the preseason games play a huge roll in implementation of the offensive & defensive schemes , unless of coarse the team has the same coordinator for a long period of time which our beloved Bills haven't had the luxury of . Then nothing really changes & you just add some wrinkles here & there .

It's like any thing else right , you can practice all you want but until you are in a "live bullet" (I love Bob Seger) situation with the opponent really trying to stop you , you can't really tell how your execution of the scheme is going to work .

It's kind of like drafting a QB out of college . Sure Tim Teabow was one of the most winning QB's the Gators ever had , so was Warfeul at his school , so was Schuler , but until they were on the field in live action (i love the turtle man) you never know how they will perform .

Isn't that the same as the schemes of the offense & defense coordinators on a NFL team ?

Too isn't that the same thing as the coaches saying the players can come into camp in shape but they aren't in "Football/Game shape" ?

Maybe they should adopt a rule that only the teams with new HC's & staff are the teams that need to have preseason games . But there again will the players be in "Football Shape" ?

Another thing is how can a staff figure out if a rookie looks good ? Like Mayock says they can look good in shorts but you don't know until they are in pads . I think the only way coaches can figure if a player can or will adjust to the NFL is if they can see them play against other NFLers !

I would rather have that than have them put a player on a roster & it take half the season to figure out if that roster spot was a waste . Which i know that happens especially at the QB position , but isn't it easier to determine if a players skills will translate to the NFL by a coach with more in game experience to see ?

I don't know i like to see the preseason games if for nothing else to see the rookies & how they are going to pan out .

Not to mention the Fans need to get into Tail gating shape . Do you know the injuries that can happen from just being thrown into a tail gate situation with no Pre TG experience ?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVvJbZSlVfAsALAcnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&va=Bills+tailgating&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

I was wondering this because of a article i read on Rumblings saying that Galliford didn't like preseason games & was wondering the over all thought of the hate for preseason games ...

Preseason games were initially designed to get players who had other jobs during the offseason and didn't come back in great shape into playing shape.

Since players are full time, highly paid athletes now who follow offseason workout and nutrition regiments for the most part, 4 games is basically a waste. 2 games would be much better, and would fit in nicely by expanding the regular season to 18 games. However, the NFLPA will never allow that to happen without the players getting an additional 2 game checks, which the NFL would definitely balk at...

Preseason games were initially designed to get players who had other jobs during the offseason and didn't come back in great shape into playing shape.

Since players are full time, highly paid athletes now who follow offseason workout and nutrition regiments for the most part, 4 games is basically a waste. 2 games would be much better, and would fit in nicely by expanding the regular season to 18 games. However, the NFLPA will never allow that to happen without the players getting an additional 2 game checks, which the NFL would definitely balk at...

the NFL is cheap!

frustrating to watch they don't game play or scheme for those game but yet a lot of fans act like they have. Things like watching a lineman struggle with no help because they are trying to evaluate him without help can be painful to watch. Vanilla offense against vanilla defense guys like kellen moore rip it up but only in the pre season

1: Full price tickets for a glorified scrimmage

2: Injury risks to everyone involved

3: Meaningless games that prove next to nothing because most of the playbook isn't used.

The games are far from meaningless. Many player's lives/careers depend on these games. Coaches, players, front office staffs all need these games to build continuity. As a fan of course they are tough sit through because we are anxious for the real thing. However, football is the ultimate team game and so much of the quality product we see in the beginning of the regular season is built from the training camp/preseason timeframe.

The games are far from meaningless. Many player's lives/careers depend on these games. Coaches, players, front office staffs all need these games to build continuity. As a fan of course they are tough sit through because we are anxious for the real thing. However, football is the ultimate team game and so much of the quality product we see in the beginning of the regular season is built from the training camp/preseason timeframe.

That's fine but stop charging full price.

well said.. i might add that much of the poor quality of play we see to start the season is the result of a truncated pre-season used primarily to develop a roster, rather than practice game concepts against live competition... this has been limited to approximately the first 2-3 quarters of the third game.

I don't understand all the whining either. Guys need game situations to get into game shape, to work on timing and coaches need the games to evaluate players. It's pretty simple. If you don't consider it 'real football' than stop mentally telling yourself that football starts in August.

2 preseason & 1 rookie scrimmage game against another team is enough. Second year players could be included in the scrimmage game.

Why is that enough? I might buy off on three games but you won't get guys ready in two and certainly won't get a good feel for what rookies and free agents can do. Why does no one call for a week or two of baseball spring training?

For season ticket holders they sjhould spend money on psychologist if they thought team would charge less if there were no preseason games.

Yup. Instead of raising the price printed on the regular season tickets by a larger amount they started making fans pay for the pre-season games. What's the difference? You're paying a flat price for a season ticket. Just divide by 8 instead of 10 to get your real per-game price.

Yup. Instead of raising the price printed on the regular season tickets by a larger amount they started making fans pay for the pre-season games. What's the difference? You're paying a flat price for a season ticket. Just divide by 8 instead of 10 to get your real per-game price.

But it's much more fun to B word about games that "don't count" and basically make the Spinal Tap "but these go to 11" argument, only in reverse.

But it's much more fun to B word about games that "don't count" and basically make the Spinal Tap "but these go to 11" argument, only in reverse.

Things are probably skewed now with the variable pricing, but when the tickets were all the same for every game, which they were for about 52 years, then your Spinal Tap theory was (and still for the most part) is wrong.

When Toronto had the preseason game, our season package cost less than when we had the preseason game.

Started? When did they ever not?

Biggest complaint is typically season ticket holders having to pay full price. If it were a free add on, I don't think you see many complaints (despite the fact that I think teams look at the package as tiered, realistically.

Next up many think it's a middle ground for adding real games- trade 2 preseason for 2 regular.

I don't much mind them but I'm not excited for them either

This, pre-season games should be half price.

Preseason is 4 games, but the starters play about 1 game total so not as much of a risk for injury as it looks. adding regular season games add to the beatings the starters take and that could be bad, plus after 16 games we have a good idea who the better teams are. Preseason games is the opportunity for most of the players to make the team. They also allow the refs, TV coverage and stadium operations to prepare for the season.

That said preseason games should be half price for season ticket holders and everyone else. For some it would be the opportunity to see a pro football game.

Good changes would be: add 2 teams to the playoffs and add another by week. The extra by week gives us fans 1 more week of football and allows players a chance to rest in season. Players health is already a concern so adding games makes matters worse.

Why is that enough? I might buy off on three games but you won't get guys ready in two and certainly won't get a good feel for what rookies and free agents can do. Why does no one call for a week or two of baseball spring training?

Because Spring Training games are not played in home city and those fans don't have to pay for them. Not the same thing

Things are probably skewed now with the variable pricing, but when the tickets were all the same for every game, which they were for about 52 years, then your Spinal Tap theory was (and still for the most part) is wrong.

Well, yeah. Except it's not. Obviously I'm peeing in the ocean here against overwhelmingly wrong-headed public opinion.

Everybody is assigning a mythical, discounted cash value to the preseason games, as if a.) we are somehow being hoodwinked and b.) in any logical world the Bills would simply slash face value for the preseason games while keeping all the regular season ticket values the same.

If I could instantly reduce a preseason ticket face value price by $40 while increasing each of the eight regular season home game ticket prices by $5, keeping the overall ticket price the same, and then use one of those Men In Black memory eraser thingies on you all, then everybody would be happy as pigs in their own filth.

Here's why I sleep just fine at night on this issue:

1.) Ours are among the cheapest season tickets in the league.

2.) We have no PSLs.

3.) The kids game can be a hell of a lot of fun for those that take their kids.

4.) One can just donate their unused pre-season tickets to charity and deduct the full face value from their taxes.

Well, yeah. Except it's not. Obviously I'm peeing in the ocean here against overwhelmingly wrong-headed public opinion.

Everybody is assigning a mythical, discounted cash value to the preseason games, as if a.) we are somehow being hoodwinked and b.) in any logical world the Bills would simply slash face value for the preseason games while keeping all the regular season ticket values the same.

If I could instantly reduce a preseason ticket face value price by $40 while increasing each of the eight regular season home game ticket prices by $5, keeping the overall ticket price the same, and then use one of those Men In Black memory eraser thingies on you all, then everybody would be happy as pigs in their own filth.

Here's why I sleep just fine at night on this issue:

1.) Ours are among the cheapest season tickets in the league.

2.) We have no PSLs.

3.) The kids game can be a hell of a lot of fun for those that take their kids.

4.) One can just donate their unused pre-season tickets to charity and deduct the full face value from their taxes.

Do you have season tickets? If so, for how long?.............Have you addressed what I said in all the mumbo jumbo of memory erasers, etc. that you said?