Peter King: Jahri Evans still on block(update:signed ext.)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point it's more about the money I would think.

They would restructure his contract also cut Chris Williams.

Jahri Evans is coming off of his worst pro season IMO. With that being said I would do that in a second. The Bills need a veteran offensive lineman and would be fortunate to have one with the talent of Evans.

still a top run blocker. Plus he played injured.

Probably right but cutting Williams now dosent save them much, Have to wait until after June 6th, so that means getting rid of someone else, or getting Cassel to restructure.

still a top run blocker. Plus he played injured.

this. Get Evans, and then you are totally free to draft BPA w/o regard to position. Hopefully Stephone Anthony from Clemson at LB.

With only 2 picks in the top 150 I am hesitant. But at the same time one of those top two picks is going to be used on a OL. We picked 3 OL last year who are still very young and developing. Evans is a top notch run blocker and played for Kromer, would be a big asset from that standpoint, and would be an outstanding vet presence on the line. since we already have young prospects on the line I would say do it.

Whaley was quoted as saying he sees this years draft picks as back-ups only anyways...they might be waiting till the draft starts to see if they take a 5th

What i got out of that was except for OG they would be backups.

Evans' salary is probably prohibitive unless they could restructure. But they have put a lot off to save cap room for this year. They could do it but it would be tight.

Since we don't have a 4th I imagine it's a tough call, as I agree they're probably offering one of our 5ths. Maybe if nobody else bites...

His cap hit over the next two years is around $21M. His dead cap for the next two years is $6.5M. He would have to restructure, but if he didn't, what would be his cap hit for us?

Not positive, but I think it'd be a 6 mil cap hit this year and 8.7 mil in 2016 if he didn't restructure

With a new & more competent O line coach one that is actually proven he is worth a pay check & the talent that we picked up in the draft last year i think the coaches are satisfied with who we have for now & could get more info about those on the roster during OTA's .

Edited by T master

Not positive, but I think it'd be a 6 mil cap hit this year and 8.7 mil in 2016 if he didn't restructure

basically cut the signing, and restructure amortizations out. it would be his salary, plus workout bonuses.... and possibly roster depending on when its paid. This year hed be around 7, next 8.7m

Any trade with him would likely come with a fresh contract. if they could get him to sign on a 4 year deal averaging 5-6m for instance, you could do a lot of magic with his number for this year.

Evans' salary is probably prohibitive unless they could restructure. But they have put a lot off to save cap room for this year. They could do it but it would be tight.

Restructure Mario!

I suspect that at the #50 spot, they'll be able to get a guard with as much promise as Evans, and that player will be cheaper. And the Bills will have control for longer.

What do we do to free up that cap though?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Chris Williams - June 1st cut ($3.35 million cap space, $1.4 million dead money)

Matt Cassel - restructure to a two-year contract (reduce $4.75 million cap hit for 2015)

Also, maybe do something with Eric Wood's contract ($6.7 million cap hit for 2015) or Manny Lawson (I know we need LBs, but this is where a younger guy at pick 50 could be a better use of money, IMO).

Restructure Mario!

As I've said a few times: I think the best allocation of resources is to manage the cap to absorb Mario's hit this year, and then sign him to a new contract next year. It's the best of all worlds: gives Mario a giant lump sum of cash next offseason, gives Buffalo the cap relief, keeps the player here for (presumably) the rest of his career, and allows the team to load the final year of the deal with a gargantuan base salary or roster bonus that won't come into play.

I suspect that at the #50 spot, they'll be able to get a guard with as much promise as Evans, and that player will be cheaper. And the Bills will have control for longer.

I think either AJ Cann or Laken Tomlinson will be there at 50. I'd much rather go with one of these guys, and roll with the young guys we already have and hope with new coaching/scheme things come together. I just can't see spending an additional 5-6 million per year on a guard at this point when we have players who are approaching FA that we need to be extending.

I think either AJ Cann or Laken Tomlinson will be there at 50. I'd much rather go with one of these guys, and roll with the young guys we already have and hope with new coaching/scheme things come together. I just can't see spending an additional 5-6 million per year on a guard at this point when we have players who are approaching FA that we need to be extending.

If you're going to take a guard at 50, those would be the guys. After that, I'm all-in on Jarvis Harrison of Texas A&M.

The rumor mill says he'll be cut if they can't trade him. No sense in offering up a pick.

Unless you don't think you can entice him to come here after he's cut. Not saying that's the case; just clarifying why you'd offer a pick.