Would You Rather - Fitzpatrick or Cassel?

BBills14

Numbers, especially when looked up after 3 months, can be very deceiving. Many of those yards could have come in garbage time when the game was already out of reach.

The issue with Fitz was that he would throw INTs at very inopportune moments and suck the air out of the team. You could never hope that Fitz will score the TD in the 4th quarter to win the game (There were a few exceptions like the one against the Patriots). He was an inconsistent QB with a lousy arm, but could read defenses well.

And what is Cassell? A limp arm dink and dunk guy like Edwards. Like I posted, Fitz and the 2012 defense was a nightmare. Fitz and the 2014 or 2015 defense would be special.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitz had gimmicks like the beard and wedding ring to distract us from losing. Cassel doesn't insult our intelligence with such trifles

Actually you were distracted by his beard and wedding ring so I guess insulting your intelligence applies and is right.

Many liked Fritz that despite his shortcomings he never gave up even if he needed to run or block like Jimbo did.

Now the contract extension is a different matter but that is more of an issue with front office; he did the intelligent thing and signed extension.

On October 28, 2011, Fitzpatrick signed a six year, $59 million contract extension including a $10 million signing bonus with the Bills. He had three 300-yard performances in the 2011 season, with a season high 369 yards vs. the Patriots.
Let's pretend like we were paying him what he's actually worth.
Would you rather - Fitzmagic or Cassel?

You're kidding right? We know what Fitz can/can't do. I'd rather see what Cassell has to offer than go back to Fitzy.

I hate to say it but I think I would rather have Fitz with this offense. Neither are going to be very good. Both are capable of tremendous sucktitude. I think Fitz's smarts would help with this team, and he can probably run a little better. Fitz and Roman would probably have some great discussions and ideas.

Right... brandonhill-beard-formula.jpg

I liked Fitz when he was a Bill. That's old news now. It's Cassel now and that's that. But there is also EJ and even Tyrod. So, basically if they are a Bill, they are now part of the fambase. Can't get behind Fitz because went over to the dark side.

And what is Cassell? A limp arm dink and dunk guy like Edwards. Like I posted, Fitz and the 2012 defense was a nightmare. Fitz and the 2014 or 2015 defense would be special.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly, but wasn't one of the knocks against Fitz that he couldn't throw a 10+ yard ball? That's not to say Cassell could either though.

Fitz, only cause my dog is named Fitzy, after the bearded one.

I don't like the dog much, so like when I yell "M F er, Fitz, how could you do that"...and see the dog run for cover it makes me happy

Edited by plenzmd1

I think Cassel could be very effective...he has performed fairly well on good teams before but none of those teams had the level of talent this one does...I'm predicting a Rich Gannon like comeback where a middling QB takes off once surrounded with offensive weapons...both actually have very similar statistics pre Gannon with the Raiders

He went 11-5 with NE in 2008. I think that team had incredible talent. They were 16-0 the year before . Moss, healthy Welker etc,,,Hopefully, Cassell can go back to that version instead of the Vikings'.

It's like asking me if I would prefer broccoli or brussel sprouts. Can't I avoid them both?

But if forced to choose, I would take Cassel over Fitz. Cassel at least had a Pro Bowl season once when surrounded by a good cast. It would be hard to imagine a scenario where Fitz would be invited to PB.

And I agree with qwksilver, when defenses figured out that Fitz couldn't throw deep with any accuracy, they started sitting on the short routes. Cassel at least can kind-of, sort-of make all the throws an NFL QB needs to make. Defenses will, I think, need to defend more of the field when Cassel is under center.

I really don't ever want to see Fitz wind up and throw his entire body into a 15-yard out again.

This is funny. The best QBs make tossing a football 60 yards down field look easy. Fitz, on the other hand, exerted every muscle in his body and grunted like an Olympic shot putter when throwing 30 yards.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly, but wasn't one of the knocks against Fitz that he couldn't throw a 10+ yard ball? That's not to say Cassell could either though.

Fitzpatrick definitely had issues putting enough zip on intermediate routes. Cassel can actually throw a pretty nice lofty long ball from what I have gathered. Not sure about his fastball though.

Neither.... Fitz is a 100% certain he will.never lead you to the playoffs.

That sums up my opinion as well. I know Cassel has a better arm but my guess is that he isn't as probably can't get the ball out as quickly or read defenses as well. If Fitz had even a mediocre arm he would be fantastic but any pass longer than 20 yards was a struggle for him and he couldn't throw anything outside the hash marks.

Fitz has gritz

He's tough as nails. I can't imagine sitting upright--let alone play NFL football with a broken rib. Matt C. has good vision down field though--good at play action--but can we hold long enough for play action to work?? Soo many questions. I'll take Fitz ahead of Matt C. 'cause the devil we know..

I thought Fitz should of stayed when we drafted EJ. But the fan base already ran him out of town

that being said Cassel and Fitz are pretty much equal in my eyes. Pick'em

Fitz and I don't think it's close. Cassel hasn't had a good season in 5 years. Fitz, as flawed as he is, has looked like a much more passable qb than Cassel the last 4 seasons.

Cassel = Orton. Fitz is probably equal to then but I give him the edge because he is a warrior and gets every ounce of physical talent out of himself.

Fitz and I don't think it's close. Cassel hasn't had a good season in 5 years. Fitz, as flawed as he is, has looked like a much more passable qb than Cassel the last 4 seasons.

Cassel = Orton. Fitz is probably equal to then but I give him the edge because he is a warrior and gets every ounce of physical talent out of himself.

I can live with a Orton type qb if it is the ortion of the first 3 weeks he was here

I can live with a Orton type qb if it is the ortion of the first 3 weeks he was here

Um, that's Orton. Then he becomes the average at best journeyman for the rest of the season as he has been his whole career.

I don't doubt Cassel could have a good game or 2. But then he will become the Matt Cassel who is on his 4th team.

Side note, how good were Orton's first 3 weeks? We barely score a td against Det and our offense sucked most of the game against Minnesota.

Um, that's Orton. Then he becomes the average at best journeyman for the rest of the season as he has been his whole career.

I don't doubt Cassel could have a good game or 2. But then he will become the Matt Cassel who is on his 4th team.

Side note, how good were Orton's first 3 weeks? We barely score a td against Det and our offense sucked most of the game against Minnesota.

C

That is a bit of revisionist history.....Orton was putting the ball on recievers in those games and they were dropping them......

The running game was pretty much putrid all year

C

That is a bit of revisionist history.....Orton was putting the ball on recievers in those games and they were dropping them......

The running game was pretty much putrid all year

With all due respect (and I can prove it if you like), I posted a comment I heard from a Denver radio station about Orton before he started a game for us. He said that Orton moves the ball well between the 20s but struggled mightily to score tds. And minus the Jets games, that's what he did.

The reason guys like Orton, Cassel, & Fitz bounce around is because they aren't good enough to be starters but can be good spot starters. You are severely limited in what Your ceiling is. Cassel will have a good game, people will talk him up and want to give him an extension. Then when he finished below average like most of his career suggests, we will be like why did we start Matt Cassel?

I'd always rather go with the young guy over the passed around veteran. I really think it will be hard for any qb to screw up this team. As bad as people make EJ out to be, if the defense held onto 2 leads his rookie year (Ne and ATL), he has a winning NFL record.

I will have a soft spot for Fitz. If Jay Cutler had Fitz' attitude, he'd be q franchise qb. But you will always be severely limited with these guys. At this point in their careers, they are what they are. And that's not good enough.

Cassel vs Fitz on this team? tough call. Because Roman might pull a Gailey, with Fitz with this talent.

But if you cant threaten the long ball with any accuracy. ya got nothin' . Fitz got found out before London massaged his ribs.
it could be done I suppose.

But Manuel is who they want to start anyways.

so let me ask this folks?

Who would you rather have as the #2, regardless of who starts? And its fair to consider the Cap in this exercise.

So Cassel over (Fitz (love ya Man, gritzy as they get ) to answer the OP.

Edited by 3rdand12

Let's have a real competition between EJ and Taylor for the starter, Cassel beats Fitz as the walk on backup because he can hold the fort. If EJ steps up or Tyrod proves to be a dynamic playmaker to go along with our already loaded arsenal....watch out

Edited by JAC'dUp

You guys are only saying Fitz because you have no idea what Cassel is going to bring to this team (neither do I just sayin)

When was the last time Fitz EVER led a team to a 10 win season......or made the pro bowl?

Probably the last time he had Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe who was the TE was it Fasano, Moeaki or was it Gonzalez? Cassel excelled in a fool proof NE system and with a top coach.... give Fitz sammy watkins and his yac yard capabilities rob woods and his crispy route running. AND lesean mccoy? Awwww snap. Turn around and give cassel david nelson chandler lee smith donald jones and naaman Roosevelt and then lets see... just saying lets level the playing field.

Same age, same completion %, same YPA, I'll take the new guy who is bigger and has a lower career interception rate to be our backup and mentor to EJ, even though I love rooting for Fitz.

If you have to pick one to play with our defense and our running game, turnovers should be one of the key things to focus on, but I hope Cassel doesn't see the field much and EJ takes the step forward we all hope and many of us expect.

With all due respect (and I can prove it if you like), I posted a comment I heard from a Denver radio station about Orton before he started a game for us. He said that Orton moves the ball well between the 20s but struggled mightily to score tds. And minus the Jets games, that's what he did.

The reason guys like Orton, Cassel, & Fitz bounce around is because they aren't good enough to be starters but can be good spot starters. You are severely limited in what Your ceiling is. Cassel will have a good game, people will talk him up and want to give him an extension. Then when he finished below average like most of his career suggests, we will be like why did we start Matt Cassel?

I'd always rather go with the young guy over the passed around veteran. I really think it will be hard for any qb to screw up this team. As bad as people make EJ out to be, if the defense held onto 2 leads his rookie year (Ne and ATL), he has a winning NFL record.

I will have a soft spot for Fitz. If Jay Cutler had Fitz' attitude, he'd be q franchise qb. But you will always be severely limited with these guys. At this point in their careers, they are what they are. And that's not good enough.

C I just want to make sure I am understanding the argument you are trying to fight here.....

Are you saying that wide receivers were NOT dropping Orton passes?

You cannot "minus games".....all the games count just like every QB

I want to point out that I am not singing Orton's praises....he seemed to play well at the start and was showing a "clutch" factor that this team is missing.....then all of a sudden it looked like he went into "I dont give a crap" mode.....then retired

But for those first 3 games when Orton came in....I thought we actually had a NFL quarterback

I like Fitz better but I'd choose EJ & Tyrod over both. I wish I could put Fitz's heart, brain & passion into their frames.

That would be insane. Ej out there not liking a play. Change up. Tyrod throwing a lead block and upending a linebacker. Fitz had all the tools... except arm. But he didnt know it. and thats what i loved most about him

Edited by Agent 91