London game will be streamed on Yahoo

@viccarucci: The #Bills-#Jaguars game in London, w 9:30am kickoff, will be seen on local TV in WNY and J'ville. Seen on digital platform everywhere else.

@viccarucci: Marks the first time #NFL will use a distributor other than TV network for a national game.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well most laptops and desktop computers have HDMI out these days. if you aren't local and have to watch it online then just plug your computer in to your TV and you are good to go

I get terrible picture quality when I do it this way, plus long delays.

That makes sense. Nothing like scaring the ever-loving-**** out of the networks by floating a test balloon on YouTube. When are the next TV deals up for renegotiation?

I'm not sure but that is EXACTLY what I am thinking. My thought is that they develop some sort of content based channel specific to teams that you can buy. I view it like the WWE network. If you are out of market you can add the games or if you are in market you can just buy the content (replay of games, interviews, etc...). It is strictly a guess on my part. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I get terrible picture quality when I do it this way, plus long delays.

thats what I don't like - the stream sometimes freezes which is torture during a football game lol. YouTube should be ok on a tablet or phone but I am old school and want it on my tv.

I'm not sure but that is EXACTLY what I am thinking. My thought is that they develop some sort of content based channel specific to teams that you can buy. I view it like the WWE network. If you are out of market you can add the games or if you are in market you can just buy the content (replay of games, interviews, etc...). It is strictly a guess on my part.

I think you're right on track. Working in TV I can tell you everyone on the content side is jumping ship to digital because the networks have no idea how to fix what's wrong with their system. The only thing keeping traditional TV afloat as we know it are live sports, especially the NFL.

If the NFL starts testing digital platforms, even for a negotiating ploy, it should scare the networks enough to pay even more next go around.

Edited by GreggyT

I think you're right on track. Working in TV I can tell you everyone on the content side is jumping ship to digital because the networks have no idea how to fix what's wrong with their system. The only thing keeping traditional TV afloat as we know it are live sports, especially the NFL.

If the NFL starts testing digital platforms, even for a negotiating ploy, it should scare the networks enough to pay even more next go around.

I don't think that we will ever see live sports off network TV in our lives. I think that you will see more and more of the digital content complimenting it. People are crazy for information in the social media age. You may even start seeing more and more of that in stadium.

Strange they wouldn't add NFLN to the mix...

I upped my Internet speed last year and the Sunday Ticket online worked great, also watched the live stream of a skate contest all weekend that looked awesome and didn't hang-up.

Better have those servers cranked up for this one!

I don't think that we will ever see live sports off network TV in our lives. I think that you will see more and more of the digital content complimenting it. People are crazy for information in the social media age. You may even start seeing more and more of that in stadium.

I'm with you there for sure. I don't think sports will leave TV in our lifetimes, not fully. Mainly because the networks will overpay to keep them.

This is only somewhat related, but since it doesn't appear the annual "Sunday Ticket strategy thread" is up yet, here goes. Our local CBS station here in Eastern, NC went down the other night during the NCAA tourney. I called DTV to ask them when it was going to go back up and the rep I spoke with was a gigantic a-hole. This guy was obviously having a really bad day and me calling put him over the top. I normally dont do this kind of thing, but I told him to transfer me to someone who could cancel my service.

As soon as I was transferred I folded my hand and told the customer retention rep I was just frustrated because the guy I spoke with was awful. I told her to have a good night and was about to hang up...that's when she told me she was giving me the ticket free for 2015 and a $10 monthly credit for the next 6 months.

I found myself trying to talk her out of it for a few seconds before I snapped out of it and just told her thank you. If you have the chance, give it a shot!

@viccarucci: The #Bills-#Jaguars game in London, w 9:30am kickoff, will be seen on local TV in WNY and J'ville. Seen on digital platform everywhere else.

@viccarucci: Marks the first time #NFL will use a distributor other than TV network for a national game.

I wonder if WNY includes Rochester. For blackouts it does, but typically not other "local only" games.

I wonder if WNY includes Rochester. For blackouts it does, but typically not other "local only" games.

Yeah, Rochester typically gets screwed on this stuff. Blacked out whenever possible, but considered a "secondary" market. Meaning games on cable aren't simulcast on local TV, so Rochester folks couldn't watch NFL Network games while Time Warner was feuding with the NFL. I suspect it'll be a similar situation here - even though Carucci referred to "WNY/J'ville" as the local TV markets, my guess will be that only the "primary market" will be allowed to broadcast on local TV - meaning only Buffalo and Jacksonville proper.

NBC was showing Sunday Night Football on their webpage live last season. I don't think this "digital platform" will be much different for this game.

It is different. SNF was an authenticated stream to existing cable & DTV subscribers. This one will be through a broad online distribution because it won't be available on an existing cable or broadcast network

It is different. SNF was an authenticated stream to existing cable & DTV subscribers. This one will be through a broad online distribution because it won't be available on an existing cable or broadcast network

I don't subscribed to cable TV (only cable internet) and I was able to watch it online through the NBC Sports webpage.

I believe I saw it's not going to be on Sunday ticket which is BS. Also the Lions game was shown down here in Horseheads so hopefully that means this game will. What a bunch of crap, think about all the people that have lousy internet but have cable or DTV especially the elderly. Rog should go back to messing up suspensions and leave what is right alone.

Love it then goodbye DTV, cut the cable and save $50 a month. I'd go for it. Two things keep me in "plugged in" sports stations like ESPN and ST. This new thing, Sling TV is a way for $20 a month to get streaming ESPN without a cable connection. Only thing left to keep me from cutting the cord completely would be ST. If the Bills start doing well, more national games, less need for ST then too. A friend of mine who's a Steeler's fan gave it as the year prior 11 out of 16 of their games were on some form of network TV

I'm not sure but that is EXACTLY what I am thinking. My thought is that they develop some sort of content based channel specific to teams that you can buy. I view it like the WWE network. If you are out of market you can add the games or if you are in market you can just buy the content (replay of games, interviews, etc...). It is strictly a guess on my part.

thats what I don't like - the stream sometimes freezes which is torture during a football game lol. YouTube should be ok on a tablet or phone but I am old school and want it on my tv.

Yolo, on a website like youtube you should not see those kinds of issues as long as you have a decent broadband internet connection. The freezes in the stream usually happen when using the scetchy website when trying to view games from "illegal" streaming sites. Watching from your big sceen shouldn't be an issue.

Bigpappy

Yolo, on a website like youtube you should not see those kinds of issues as long as you have a decent broadband internet connection. The freezes in the stream usually happen when using the scetchy website when trying to view games from "illegal" streaming sites. Watching from your big sceen shouldn't be an issue.

Bigpappy

i will try it. Better work though! Lol

What a croc. On the day we learn that there are no more blackouts, fans like me that live out of market and pay big bucks to see all of our teams games will have trouble seeing this one. Instead of watching on a HD 55" screen oh the comfort of my living room I'll be watching a crappy pixelized picture that stutters and stops every 30 seconds. No matter what "digital platform" they use, it won't be able to keep up with demand - it never does. If we're lucky, after the fiasco they might say they're sorry there were some minor technical issues. So glad they treat fans, especially those shelling out major money for Sunday Ticket, so well.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 31s31 seconds ago

Jaguars-Bills game in London will be shown online, not on DirecTV http://wp.me/p14QSB-9JMj via @KevinClarkWSJ

What a croc. On the day we learn that there are no more blackouts, fans like me that live out of market and pay big bucks to see all of our teams games will have trouble seeing this one. Instead of watching on a HD 55" screen oh the comfort of my living room I'll be watching a crappy pixelized picture that stutters and stops every 30 seconds. No matter what "digital platform" they use, it won't be able to keep up with demand - it never does. If we're lucky, after the fiasco they might say they're sorry there were some minor technical issues. So glad they treat fans, especially those shelling out major money for Sunday Ticket, so well.

I've been a loyal DTV customer for almost 20 years. You can believe that they'll be incurring my wrath over this. The reason I subscribe to ST is to be able to see all of the Bills games not on national TV. They've received a lot of my money over the years and, if they don't rectify this, I'll be expecting restitution of some kind. I've always been courteous & non-threatening when calling them but I'll have no patience over this one.