QB Bryce Petty - Pick #50?

KDIGGZ

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Really. With our first pick?

When we haven't yet addressed the O-line, when we have to start considering life after Kyle, when Dareus could be due a Brinks truck, when we still have opportunities for a rookie to come in and contribute to the defensive secondary, the Bills would be completely !@#$ing nuts to spend the #50 pick on a QB who won't catch a glimpse of action until 2017, at the earliest.

Whaley should stay true to his board. If he has Petty ranked higher then he should take him. We're not in any position to pass up a QB. Granted, Petty will likely need a few years worth of development but I think the point still stands.

I'd rather pick a project in the second this year, then reach for a project in the first next year.

We can't afford to take on a project with that high of a pick either year. To be clear about why I say he is a project and he shouldn't go before round 3, here's his draft profile compared to Andy Dalton's, a 2nd round QB.

Bryce Petty

Scouts concerned he could be product of Baylor's one-read system. Must learn to read defenses and get through his progressions when he joins the NFL. He needs a year or two of practice time and camp work to learn how to get through his progressions, but has the intelligence to do that. Petty must have a structured offense that won't ask him to make plays outside of the pocket.

Andy Dalton

Dalton is a well prepared player that scans the whole field and makes solid decisions. Has a quick release, a strong arm and is an accurate passer, especially on the run. Has great mobility in the pocket and shows very good instincts as a runner.

If they think he's worth #50 then by all means do it. Everyone complains we don't have a great QB, yet nobody wants to spend the assets it takes to acquire one. What's the point on taking a 7th round flyer when the odds of them becoming successful is WAY lower than a higher pick? 7th round flyers on Guards and TEs are much more likely to be successful than a QB. Everyone has their priorities backwards, but their whining always in order.

Absolutely, I have already gone on here and said, move up if they have to, get who YOU want, who cares what value others put on him.

I still don't think he will get out of first round.

Believe me, I want EJ to be the man, I just don't know if the confidence is there that he will be.

Keep drafting QB's until you have one, I don't see Buffalo having a top 5 pick very soon to get a top tier guy, and I don't care for all the cast off FAs. 6th and 7th round flyers got about a 1% chance.

I am definitely no scout, but I have been watching football over 40 years, and I like this kid.

We can't afford to take on a project with that high of a pick either year. To be clear about why I say he is a project and he shouldn't go before round 3, here's his draft profile compared to Andy Dalton's, a 2nd round QB.

Bryce Petty

Andy Dalton

It all depends on where he is on Whaley's board.

I completely disagree that we can't afford to take a project with a second or a third this year. There is a dearth of talent this year. We have no QB, and could very likely still not have one by the 2016 draft. Rather than shackling ourselves to possibly being "forced" to take one in 2016, in which the overall draft talent will be higher than this years, it is more beneficial to use a decently high pick on a project in this draft. This draft will have guys with second round grades going in the first round. Every pick past 15 is devalued. It's the perfect situation of little risk.

You don't see it being distinctly possible to need to draft a QB next year in the first round? Really?

I'd rather not take a project in the first round next year. But that's not a reason to take one in the second round this year. Which is, you know, what we're talking about.

Whaley should stay true to his board. If he has Petty ranked higher then he should take him. We're not in any position to pass up a QB. Granted, Petty will likely need a few years worth of development but I think the point still stands.

I can't imagine they have Petty as the 50th best player in the draft.

I'd rather not take a project in the first round next year. But that's not a reason to take one in the second round this year. Which is, you know, what we're talking about.

I certainly hope they don't have him ranked that high. But if they do then QB is by far a greater need than o-line given the impact a decent one could have for this team.

I certainly hope they don't have him ranked that high. But if they do then QB is by far a greater need than o-line given the impact a decent one could have for this team.

I don't think it'll be positional specific. I think they're BPA, all the way.

And now this

http://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/578301494274871296

Gil_Brandt 4:06pm via TweetDeck

Bryce Petty is like Jimmy Garappolo was last year, in terms of ability, not playing style. Not in top group but not far behind.

Do you think it is pertinent to consider the future when deciding to draft somebody?

Yes. But that has nothing to do with the false choice you've presented.

And I clarified my false choice with a "possibility" in my next post, because I didn't intend for the post to come off in an "either/or" situation.

A little hostile today, are we?

I like Petty a lot and I'm typically against post RD2 round QB's

The Bills can afford a project or gamble in the 2nd, the whole point to this FA was to open up the draft to BPA. The whole thinking of "we don't have a first so we need to pick a def day 1 starter in RD2" is poor thinking. This team isnt built for a 1-2 year run, with where our contracts are we are built long term for this team to stick together. With the depth/continuity they can take risks.

With the Bills being into the Marshall hunt and the Williams experiment last year I really think, for better or worse, that DW wants a big end zone WR.

If Dorial Green-Beckham lasts until the Bills pick I think he is it.

Not that I would agree with the pick.

I hear all of this, but I didn't make my comment in a hypothetical vacuum. I made it specifically about a project like Bryce Petty.

So, theoretically you are not opposed to taking a QB with our first pick. Is that right ?

Rarely is a QB drafted out of the top of the 1st round expected to start in his first season. He is going to be a project of some order even if picked in the 2nd round. If there is a high prospect, might as well pick him now. I keep thinking about the hypothetical of EJ flaming out and we sitting next year forced to do extreme measures to grab a QB who will undoubtedly come with huge expectations.

A 2nd or 3rd rounder this year will have less of such pressure and have a bit more time to develop. ANd I am specifically not talking about any QB, just the concept of drafting one even with out first pick.

not impressed enough from the limited amount i've seen of him to warrant anything higher than a 4th.. maybe i'm wrong - and i really respect Mayock's opinions - but he doesn't seem to have a lotta zip on the ball.. at least nothing that made me take notice.. he does have a nice touch over the top of defenders.. looks like a project for someone who's got the time and a 3rd otr 4th to invest

i'm actually getting excited about what Roman has in mind for EJ, Taylor and Tuel in our new offense.. it may not be as far from Briles system as some pro-Os - but i'd rather work something out for RG3, if we're going that route.. the good thing is, with the talent we've amassed, Roman can get as simple/sophisticated as he wants - depending on who's playing QB

So, theoretically you are not opposed to taking a QB with our first pick. Is that right ?

Rarely is a QB drafted out of the top of the 1st round expected to start in his first season. He is going to be a project of some order even if picked in the 2nd round. If there is a high prospect, might as well pick him now. I keep thinking about the hypothetical of EJ flaming out and we sitting next year forced to do extreme measures to grab a QB who will undoubtedly come with huge expectations.

A 2nd or 3rd rounder this year will have less of such pressure and have a bit more time to develop. ANd I am specifically not talking about any QB, just the concept of drafting one even with out first pick.

Given that we've had two FA QB acquisitions, then I'd only be okay with at no. 50 QB if he was their BPA.

I don't like the idea of picking a project QB in the second round with our current QB situation.

Agreed, I do think if he or any of the other lowely rated QBs are around in the 4th or 5th round then great, but not until they draft a lineman and a linebacker and possibly another TE.

Agreed, I do think if he or any of the other lowely rated QBs are around in the 4th or 5th round then great, but not until they draft a lineman and a linebacker and possibly another TE.

that's a great avatar!! :worthy: was talking about the 'french connection' just the other day.. :thumbsup:

I have no problem using our 2nd round pick on a QB. If it's any position we need, its a QB. Just like Pegulas oil wells, you keep drilling till you hit oil. This team's current roster is a decent QB away from a deep playoff run. It may be this coming year or the next, but you're not going to get him if you sit on your hands (like Buddy did and we know where that got us).

Edited by Saint Doug

that's a great avatar!! :worthy: was talking about the 'french connection' just the other day.. :thumbsup:

On the Sabres website www.sabrespace.com I am part of Tank Nation known as icehole. Still play hockey... and those three with RJ and OJ were some of my earliest sports memories.

Edited by North Buffalo

Nothing wrong with giving him a look. The fact that Rex is working him out is a positive thing, but not proof-positive that he's going to be (over)drafted at 50. It just means that the staff wants to know everything they need to know about the QBs who might be available when it's their turn at the podium. With no franchise quarterback on the roster, that's just due diligence. Hopefully reports like these mean that this staff won't be remiss, and overlook "second-tier" college QBs who end up having the chops to lead an NFL offense.

May i suggest ,
since such a bang up job is being done this offseason with developing a winning team, i think if the Bills like Petty at fifty ? just do it.

Or can trade down if he is kinda hot.

BPA baby !

thats a successful offseason in my opinion

Now wheres my damned FA guard!

I am just not sold on Petty. He's already 24 and has never played under center. I never saw him as a good pro prospect regardless of his nfl stats. Developmental guy at best, we have enough of those. Waste of a draft pick IMO. Go for a real QB next year.

I wasn't a big fan of Petty before and I didn't even realize he is about to be 24 already. That offense makes QBs. My prediction: the new Baylor Qb will put up monster numbers. Same with Texas A & M, see how Johnny Rehab looks in the NFL. The talent of teams like Baylor and Texas A&M are the head coaches.

Also, if the Bills are really interested, unless they are super dumb, they would keep that interest as quiet as possible.

Man, people love Cook. An under 60% passer in a 3 team Big 10 worries me a bit.

I agree to an extent about baylor but honestly i think petty is pretty good. I wouldn't fault him for playing there; he can be taught to do new things. He has a good arm, plays well in big games, has good size, seems pretty accurate (from what i've seen, at least), and is reasonably mobile. Edited by dave mcbride

With Taylor also being signed I don't see them picking a QB in this draft they will probably sign an UDFA but when you already have a 3 way battle for QB you aren't using your 2d Rd pick on one. Based on this aggressive offseason you can pretty much bank on them trading up next year to take a QB if they feel one is worth that. Pat Kirwan on NFL Radio yesterday said he thinks Petty will be taken not far behind Marcus and I doubt he falls out of 1st Rd and Kirwan is pretty good for the most part.

Theres more talent in the FA pool and draft next year. I'd much rather wait and see what EJ has for a full season.

This available talent in FA almost never materializes for a QB. And let us say EJ tanks. Then what ? Reach next year for a QB ? Trade a boat load of picks to move up ? Again try to make-do with some second tier or has-been QB ?

The time to get a QB is before you need one.

not a lot of good QB's next year. the top projected QB will be Connor Cook from Michigan State. watch Bryce Petty outplay him in the Cotton Bowl a couple of months ago...

https://youtu.be/nUg7ldPla7w

Didn't have the time for the whole game, but I watched a different video that was a cutup of just bryce from that game. I wasn't too impressed with him in that game. I just didn't see a lot of nfl throws, and while his accuracy is good enough for college I don't think it is good enough to be consistent in the nfl. He also didn't seem to do well under pressure which for me is a problem because high pressure in college equates to the "normal" pressure in the nfl. I would have liked to see him get out of trouble and hit some throws on a few of those pressures. When he had time he did hit some slants and deep balls, but again, I didn't think it was enough to justify a second round grade.

I'll stick with trying to find a way to get another first round pick next year and taking my chances then or kicking the draft pick down the road.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh