QB Bryce Petty - Pick #50?

KDIGGZ

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Petty on a preview of Gruden's QB Camp. Gruden said last year Derek Carr lit up the practice field with his throwing. This year the guy that did that out of all of them was Bryce Petty. The guy is well spoken and he is way more than mature of what I have seen from the other guys. The guy is going to be a star

First, the Bills need to draft players at positions of need in the early rounds of the draft. They need more depth at linebacker and an upgrade at guard. Quarterback is just not a position that they need to reach for in the draft. This is even more apparent from them signing of Cassel and Taylor. Even if they dropped Tuel, they still already have 3 guys that they have told will compete for the starting job. To me, it's a logic fallacy that now the front office would draft a quarterback early and essentially destroy any opportunity for the team to build chemistry. Second and more important is that Petty is projecting right now to be a 3rd-4th round pick value. Drafting Petty in the 2nd would essentially be a repeat of what the organization did with Manuel and completely unnecessary. Petty should be the 5th or 6th quarterback drafted this year and almost certainly a 3rd round pick or later.

Threw the ball as good or better than the top 2 at the combine. Had less picks than Winston. The year before Petty had like 38 tds and 4 picks. Something like that. Hurt his back and still had a decent yr. Throws a really nice deep ball. Hits receivers when their open. Something our Qbs could not.

Saw Petty on a preview of Gruden's QB Camp. Gruden said last year Derek Carr lit up the practice field with his throwing. This year the guy that did that out of all of them was Bryce Petty. The guy is well spoken and he is way more than mature of what I have seen from the other guys. The guy is going to be a star

Whoa.....calling Petty a future star is pretty big stuff. The guy is just so raw and needs A LOT of work. He likely needs a few years of sitting on the sidelines before he's ready for the NFL. We should have learned from EJ that being a good NFL QB is more than just being a nice guy and having a strong arm.

Leave the QB situation as it is until next year. We're not as bad off as people think we are. We'll get through this season just fine at 10-6 at the least.

We are as bad as people think we are. How many teams would any QB we have start for? That number has to be pretty low. If the Jets or Dolphins had a QB competition of Cassel, EJ, Taylor and Tuel would we as Bills fans feel worried or would we laugh at the trash pile competing for the starting job?

I have a hunch he won't be there at 50. I could be wrong, but I think he'll be at least solid (and in time better than any qb on the Bills roster at present).

Yep and then how dumb are we going to feel when we look back and we all said nah we are ok at QB with Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel? Nah we didn't need Russell Wilson, we had Ryan Fitzpatrick. Nah Drew Brees has a bad back let's stick with JP Losman. We are always going to have holes on our team but the biggest one is and will always be QB

We are as bad as people think we are. How many teams would any QB we have start for? That number has to be pretty low. If the Jets or Dolphins had a QB competition of Cassel, EJ, Taylor and Tuel would we as Bills fans feel worried or would we laugh at the trash pile competing for the starting job?

Good way to put it. Our QB situation is clearly one of the worst in the league.

I have a hunch he won't be there at 50. I could be wrong, but I think he'll be at least solid (and in time better than any qb on the Bills roster at present).

Didn't you also like Johnny Football? How is that looking?

For guys at Texas A & M and Baylor, the star player is the offenses they play in. Wide open throws to their first read to very good skill players. The qb is interchangeable.

Petty is JAG IMO.

He's more mature because he's closer to the coaches' ages than a rookie's. :)

For guys at Texas A & M and Baylor, the star player is the offenses they play in. Wide open throws to their first read to very good skill players. The qb is interchangeable.

Petty is JAG IMO.

BS as usual

He's 23. I think that's how old Russell Wilson was too. He's no Brandon Weeden or anything

He's going to be 24 in May. Not Weeden style but that's old for a rookie.

BS as usual

I'd criticize this post and compare it to your other ones, but I don't even know who you are.

Would be an upgrade to KneEJ for sure.

Some things just can't be taught, I.e. Slow eyes, Intelligence, fragile limbs.

Then we have the little things that are easily improved but he is just not grasping the techniques, I.e. Footwork, accuracy.

We have seen KneEJs full potential.

There is no need to waste more time and Sacrifice another season. The time is now and EJ is stale.

Imo

Then we have the little things that are easily improved but he is just not grasping the techniques, I.e. Footwork, accuracy.

There is no need to waste more time and Sacrifice another season. The time is now and EJ is stale.

Imo

Your posts have jumped the shark. Should have left on a high note. The KneeJ "jokes" are elementary school.

Imo

Imo

Questioning EJ's intelligence?

Really?

It's pretty much the same as every team that has an unproven young qb. Except you've alrrady labelled EJ a bust and just assume every other young qb will be better.

Not really. It's the cold hard reality. The amount of teams any of our QBs would start for is probably a low number.

It has nothing to do with having a young QB either. I'd gladly take Bridgewater and Carr over EJ everyday as I'm sure so would many others.

Edited by Bangarang

i think we should be looking at his linemen B-)

i saw him play on tv and i've been looking at his internet highlight reels.. didn't see him have to make a play under duress.. i'd like to know how he plays when he doesn't have a clean pocket and the time to toss a high arching pass to a receiver who has beaten his man by several steps. it sure is a pretty pass though.. pours it in right over the shoulder..

just gotta wonder if, and how fast, he can fire it with angry men in his face..

i see a sharp shooter - and sharp shooters don't go early, gunslingers do.

Edited by BackInDaDay

Not really. It's the cold hard reality. The amount of teams any of our QBs would start for is probably a low number.

It has nothing to do with having a young QB either. I'd gladly take Bridgewater and Carr over EJ everyday as I'm sure so would many others.

Realistically, I think that the Bills QB situation is on par with the Browns, Texans & Jets. I am not and have never been a Bortles fan but maybe he will prove me wrong. Other than that there probably isn't a team in the league that you can make a case for.

With that being said they won 9 games last year and resigned Hughes, added Clay & 5 former Pro Bowlers.

Petty is JAG IMO.

I thought Manziel was a productive college qb who led his team to victories against very tough competition. But i must say that it's a little rich for someone to criticize manziel for sucking after playing in 2 games whilst lamabasting every manuel critic here by trotting out the "he's a young qb who hasn't been given a chance!" argument. Word to the wise: follow your own advice and refrain from saying manziel sucks until he's been in the league a little while. There's a strong chance you'll be proven correct, but to jump on him now is simply hypocritical.

As for baylor, the last qb who came out of there put up one of the greatest rookie seasons in nfl history. But since he's played 3 seasons instead of 2 (like manuel, i guess it's time to shut the book on him.

My views on manuel are based on what my eyes see. I want him to succeed, actually. I don't see it at this point however.

I thought Manziel was a productive college qb who led his team to victories against very tough competition. But i must say that it's a little rich for someone to criticize manziel for sucking after playing in 2 games whilst lamabasting every manuel critic here by trotting out the "he's a young qb who hasn't been given a chance!" argument. Word to the wise: follow your own advice and refrain from saying manziel sucks until he's been in the league a little while. There's a strong chance you'll be proven correct, but to jump on him now is simply hypocritical.

As for baylor, the last qb who came out of there put up one of the greatest rookie seasons in nfl history. But since he's played 3 seasons instead of 2 (like manuel, i guess it's time to shut the book on him.

My views on manuel are based on what my eyes see. I want him to succeed, actually. I don't see it at this point however.

You missed the point Dave. I think Manziel is not going to be a good qb for a number of reasons (he's a d bag, played on loaded offensive teams, & is basically like a much less talented and smaller Vick). That said, he should be given every opportunity to start this year. Only dumb teams like the Bills last year, start a passed around journeyman over a young qb with talent.

My point with Manziel is that I didn't like that he came from a system that makes Qbs stars. Case Keenum set the ncaa passing record in the same system.

You point to RG3 (who I definitely haven't given up on and he has more talent in his middle finger than Manziel or Petty) as a Baylor qb who succeed in the NFL. Rg3 had world class speed and was a home run threat when he ran. Petty doesn't have close to that. When RG3 is forced to pass from the pocket, he struggled mightily. And he was every bit as accurate as Petty was in college.

Every new college qb is shiny and exciting. Odds are, they will fail at the NFL level. In my opinion, the real stars if Baylor and Texas A & M are Sumlin and Briles. The qb is completely replaceable in their offenses. JMO.

I am not questioning. I know EJ is not a genius.

Imo

If "not a genius" is the criteria for not having intelligence, then zero QBs in the NFL are intelligent.

EJ's intelligence is just fine. His problems lie in his lower-body mechanics and his propensity to speed through his progression too quickly.

You missed the point Dave. I think Manziel is not going to be a good qb for a number of reasons (he's a d bag, played on loaded offensive teams, & is basically like a much less talented and smaller Vick). That said, he should be given every opportunity to start this year. Only dumb teams like the Bills last year, start a passed around journeyman over a young qb with talent.

My point with Manziel is that I didn't like that he came from a system that makes Qbs stars. Case Keenum set the ncaa passing record in the same system.

You point to RG3 (who I definitely haven't given up on and he has more talent in his middle finger than Manziel or Petty) as a Baylor qb who succeed in the NFL. Rg3 had world class speed and was a home run threat when he ran. Petty doesn't have close to that. When RG3 is forced to pass from the pocket, he struggled mightily. And he was every bit as accurate as Petty was in college.

Every new college qb is shiny and exciting. Odds are, they will fail at the NFL level. In my opinion, the real stars if Baylor and Texas A & M are Sumlin and Briles. The qb is completely replaceable in their offenses. JMO.

Fair points. I'm not willing to close the book on RG III, for what it's worth. I think he's arrogant and entitled, but he's had a major comeuppance these last 2 years and maybe he'll come out of it more humble and serious about his craft. it's up to him.

This is crap! BS and baloney. Under this logic we should cut EJ because FSU is a system place and has never produced a star NFL QB.

I didn't see the guys replacing Manziel this year doing what he did the previous 2 years at A&M.

Oh and BTW, the Bills are not a dumb organization! That would be you running an NFL team.

This post is hypocritical and BS.

I love how this site is full of people who say you can't possibly know anything about a QB who has been in the league for two years and others who are certain about a QB who hasn't gotten drafted yet. And in many cases, the same people are maintaining both of these stances.

Fair points. I'm not willing to close the book on RG III, for what it's worth. I think he's arrogant and entitled, but he's had a major comeuppance these last 2 years and maybe he'll come out of it more humble and serious about his craft. it's up to him.

It will be interesting to see rg3 without snyder, it seems a lot of the attitude stems from/is condoned by/enhanced by danny boy.

It will be interesting to see rg3 without snyder, it seems a lot of the attitude stems from/is condoned by/enhanced by danny boy.

Griffin does not have an attitude problem. That's a creation of the DC press. The problem he has is that he's still playing in DC, where the atmosphere for him has been poisoned by the Shanahans, his current coach, certain teammates who have a problem with his intelligence and failure to identify with lesser lights on the team, his relationship with Snyder (that Snyder has created), and the press. He needs a fresh start elsewhere.

First, the Bills need to draft players at positions of need in the early rounds of the draft. They need more depth at linebacker and an upgrade at guard. Quarterback is just not a position that they need to reach for in the draft. This is even more apparent from them signing of Cassel and Taylor. Even if they dropped Tuel, they still already have 3 guys that they have told will compete for the starting job. To me, it's a logic fallacy that now the front office would draft a quarterback early and essentially destroy any opportunity for the team to build chemistry. Second and more important is that Petty is projecting right now to be a 3rd-4th round pick value. Drafting Petty in the 2nd would essentially be a repeat of what the organization did with Manuel and completely unnecessary. Petty should be the 5th or 6th quarterback drafted this year and almost certainly a 3rd round pick or later.

You want to bet . He goes before the 3rd round imo