[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

So they have to beat Miami's offer of $7 mil. Is he really worth $8 mil? I think there are better options but they must think he fits their system. I just hate to spend that much on this guy when we have other needs

they don't need to do anything but offer a long term deal that the Phins can't match. Year 1 will need to be more than the 7m tag.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it make more sense to offer before they try to sign Suh or after?

from the bills standpoint they need to do it ASAP because the Phins have a week to let them know if they are going to match. That's a lifetime in FA if the bills need to go to plan b.

from the bills standpoint they need to do it ASAP because the Phins have a week to let them know if they are going to match. That's a lifetime in FA if the bills need to go to plan b.

Flip side, they could let Miami blow money day 1 then tie their hands if they are certain this is the guy and only guy they are dying for.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I thought once they placed the tag on him, the 6+ Million (or whatever) counted against this years cap? They are guaranteeing that salary with the tag unless someone signs him and they don't match it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I thought once they placed the tag on him, the 6+ Million (or whatever) counted against this years cap? They are guaranteeing that salary with the tag unless someone signs him and they don't match it.

Yep. At 7 mil. The Bills could make the cap hit a little more and a lot of upfront money which would be tough for Dolphins because of Suh

Yea, I found that and wiki's explanation too.

Out of curiosity (not for you specifically but anyone with cap knowledge), if we gave him a big cap hit (say 8-9mil) this year to strap Miami and then even out his hit later, do they have to match the offer exactly or just total dollars?

Out of curiosity (not for you specifically but anyone with cap knowledge), if we gave him a big cap hit (say 8-9mil) this year to strap Miami and then even out his hit later, do they have to match the offer exactly or just total dollars?

Pretty sure it's exactly. Literally match word for word.

It's literally the exact contract to the letter, you just swap team names

The Bill's can't do anything until Tuesday

Would it make more sense to offer before they try to sign Suh or after?

Or the other side is, make your big planned moves first, then you know where you stand money wise as likely. Or even decide if there's another "no strings attached" TE out there. If nobody else works out, you've got the big signings completed, now you can tie up $10 mil for a week or so until the Fin's respond.

Most teams usually wait out the full time available to keep the other team from knowing exactly where they stand money wise. Unless the Fins need the money elsewhere more quickly I suppose??

Maybe the Bill's also figure we could always cut Ubrik and Williams sooner than planned if money gets tight while waiting out the Fish

As a player (and his agent) I wonder if a Clay looks at what the bills just did with Shady and think "Them boys up in Buffalo are serious about biulding a winner"

"Lets get there....those bills colors are lookin better every day"

More like, "They going to give me how much money? Sure, I guess I can live in Buffalo for 5 months." :)

I would like us to sign Clay and think he is best option for us at TE and love his versatility. Whaley stated he wants to fill our needs through free agency, the go BPA for draft. So what are our needs and how do we fix them?

TE- Clay

OL- at least a starting G

DE- we need Hughes! Pay the man. I like Sheard too and you can never have too many pass rushers

LB- inside backer, hopefully Spikes

S- searcy is gone- we could use another safety and few are out there. Corey Graham?

Is it possible with cap constraints to fill all team needs with free agency?

I would like us to sign Clay and think he is best option for us at TE and love his versatility. Whaley stated he wants to fill our needs through free agency, the go BPA for draft. So what are our needs and how do we fix them?

TE- Clay

OL- at least a starting G

DE- we need Hughes! Pay the man. I like Sheard too and you can never have too many pass rushers

LB- inside backer, hopefully Spikes

S- searcy is gone- we could use another safety and few are out there. Corey Graham?

Is it possible with cap constraints to fill all team needs with free agency?

I really think we can do all of that except S. And we really don't need to with Duke, Rambo, Meeks, Ladler and Graham in a pinch.

I want them to get Spikes back and there is probably more interest now but less than 50-50 it will happen IMO.

I really think we can do all of that except S. And we really don't need to with Duke, Rambo, Meeks, Ladler and Graham in a pinch.

I want them to get Spikes back and there is probably more interest now but less than 50-50 it will happen IMO.

None of those guys is a quality option at S. Granted, you cant have above league average players everywhere but if those are the options at S going into the season its the weakest spot in the roster. Yeah I think Williams is a better G than Duke is a S (granted I seriously hope Williams isnt starting...)

hopefully we can. Meeks is a mystery to me. I didn't understand the draft pick(it didn't seem like he did much of anything in college). And he seems to be inactive or hurt. Has he actually played?

Ladler might surprise. He is my pick for sleeper player

None of those guys is a quality option at S. Granted, you cant have above league average players everywhere but if those are the options at S going into the season its the weakest spot in the roster. Yeah I think Williams is a better G than Duke is a S (granted I seriously hope Williams isnt starting...)

Maybe. I think Duke will be fine. His jump from year 1 was substantial. If he ascends similarly he will be fine. He's at least as good as Searcy was after two years. Plus with our whole d intact pretty much he won't get abused.

hopefully we can. Meeks is a mystery to me. I didn't understand the draft pick(it didn't seem like he did much of anything in college). And he seems to be inactive or hurt. Has he actually played?

Ladler might surprise. He is my pick for sleeper player

Meeks as a late rounder was quite possibly a personal project more than a well crafted roster build

If we can fill those holes, I'm thinking a Round 2 LB or S might be in the plans.

reportedly the bills will not be seeking a replacement for Searcy in FA. Replacement on roster. Edited by YoloinOhio

reportedly the bills will not be seeking a replacement for Searcy in FA. Replacement on roster.

I dont think they'll sign a FA bit I can see them draftng a guy who can come in and compete, particulalry if they can get a G and TE in FA.

I dont think they'll sign a FA bit I can see them draftng a guy who can come in and compete, particulalry if they can get a G and TE in FA.

maybe if a safety is bpa but I think it's duke's job. Graham can move over for depth and cockrell can play at CB if needed.

maybe if a safety is bpa but I think it's duke's job. Graham can move over for depth and cockrell can play at CB if needed.

People have a lot more faith in Duke than I do it seems. I hope he steps up his game but what Ive seen so far is a guy who looks lost quite a bit. I like to see guys brought in at any posititon that is a weakness even if its just a young guy to push the starter.

Might be worth an offer: Drive up the price on a division rival or land him if they don't match and take a player from a division rival. 7 mill per seems high though.

give them a poison pill which will force them to unload other players by matching it because of their cap space issues...

People have a lot more faith in Duke than I do it seems. I hope he steps up his game but what Ive seen so far is a guy who looks lost quite a bit. I like to see guys brought in at any posititon that is a weakness even if its just a young guy to push the starter.

he had some growing pains but I think he improved throughout the year. I believe Whaley doesn't want to pay starter money to another safety, but they may add depth. Meeks can't seem to stay off IR.

My buddy is a huge phins fan & isn't too excited to see him getting signed for 7 million. Clay doesn't fit that traditional TE role & is more of a niche, split out side H back type guy.

I'm just not a fan of giving an H back 7 million dollars unless Roman has big plans for him.

I doubt Cameron will command that type of money & has the frame to be a starting TE. He has the numbers to back up his talent as a receiver & should be had for somewhere in the 3-5 million range I would think. His concussion history is worrying though.

Or Gresham. He is your prototypical TE that is an excellent blocker. I really liked him coming out of Oklahoma & he is no slouch as a pass catcher either. He definitely will not command 7 million a season. Offer him 4 years / 15 million & then take the savings over Clay to sign Iupati, Franklin, or Boling.

This is going to be run first team so getting one of those big 3 OGs is key IMO

My buddy is a huge phins fan & isn't too excited to see him getting signed for 7 million. Clay doesn't fit that traditional TE role & is more of a niche, split out side H back type guy.

I'm just not a fan of giving an H back 7 million dollars unless Roman has big plans for him.

I doubt Cameron will command that type of money & has the frame to be a starting TE. He has the numbers to back up his talent as a receiver & should be had for somewhere in the 3-5 million range I would think. His concussion history is worrying though.

Or Gresham. He is your prototypical TE that is an excellent blocker. I really liked him coming out of Oklahoma & he is no slouch as a pass catcher either. He definitely will not command 7 million a season. Offer him 4 years / 15 million & then take the savings over Clay to sign Iupati, Franklin, or Boling.

This is going to be run first team so getting one of those big 3 OGs is key IMO

roman has big plans for him

The salaries are all relative. He will get 7m because it's 2015 and he's young and talented and the TE draft this year is weak.