Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get arguably the top RB in the game (top 3 at worst), in his prime, locked in for three years. He fits Roman's scheme, can do everything (block, catch, run). In exchange you give up a very popular player, but a guy who's shredded the same knee twice and who didn't want to be here.

It's a win.

Fully agree with this, particularly if the revelation about Kiko not wanting to be here is true.

Awkward. Spiller is on NFL Network live right now. He just found out when he saw the report right before he went on. Looks shell shocked. Says he was really hoping to stay in Buffalo.

I have to say i am shocked and a bit sad. Really liked Kiko. I would have liked it a lot more if Foles came with McCoy in the deal. But a lot of people said it. Top 3 defense and our coach knows defense so we have to assume they know what they are doing.

Only concern is he's had 350+ touches the last two years. Guys normally get that in the late 20s and its part of the wall.

We are betting McCoy is pretty indestructible and kiko isn't going to hold up. Not a crazy bet, but could easily blow up too.

Yep, it's a risk but I like it.

Because they're trading a potential Pro Bowl LB for a RB (already a Pro Bowl player) who has already played 6 seasons. He's on borrowed time.

Borrowed time? You have got to be kidding me

Some of the comments in this thread are insanely ridiculous

I am the minority here...

But I absolutely LOVE the move.

1) All we do is question players who return from season ending injuries, but since our beloved "Kiko" had an amazing rookie season he is on an elite pedestal for a triumphant return? I don't buy it. In Rex I trust that he can fill that position for someone who can be effective.

2) When we run the rock well, we win games. The Spiller experiment is over. We just got a top 3 back in the league. I believe that HE will "run til he barfs".

3) We aren't done yet... I believe this is the first domino towards an EXTREMELY exciting season

Surprising trade, for sure. But I don't get the anger. We had a great D last year without Kiko but an abysmal O.

We're not likely to pass the ball very effectively this year so it's imperative we build up the ability to run the ball. Fred's getting old and CJ is a free agent with an indifferent record. While I'll miss Kiko, this trade makes loads of sense - at least for Buffalo.

I don't get the "backs are a dime a dozen" argument. Backs are like any other position - there are good ones and bad ones and ones in-between. The good ones will help you win. Lynch, for example, was a big part of Seattle's success these past two years. Most other backs would not have propelled their offense the same way. McCoy is an elite back and he'll add more to our WIN column than Kiko would.

Totally agree. Love Kiko because he's a fun dude to watch, but the Bills made a bold move to improve the offense. Great trade

The team that wins the trade is the team that got the better player. McCoy by a mile.

We trade for a premier player and gave up someone that didn't even play last year.

Our defense was tremendous after he got hurt and replaced.

McCoy is a difference maker.

Great trade.

I am the minority here...

But I absolutely LOVE the move.

1) All we do is question players who return from season ending injuries, but since our beloved "Kiko" had an amazing rookie season he is on an elite pedestal for a triumphant return? I don't buy it. In Rex I trust that he can fill that position for someone who can be effective.

2) When we run the rock well, we win games. The Spiller experiment is over. We just got a top 3 back in the league. I believe that HE will "run til he barfs".

3) We aren't done yet... I believe this is the first domino towards an EXTREMELY exciting season

I don't think you're in the minority. I think it's more a case of it having blindsided people.

This isn't entirely true. Bradham played his best football last season when Kiko was on the IR.

That's completely true. Bradham said that right after Kiko got hurt. Alonso inspired Bradham by his mentality/work ethic etc. that's what got Bradham focused and dedicated in the preceding off season.

Only concern is he's had 350+ touches the last two years. Guys normally get that in the late 20s and its part of the wall.

We are betting McCoy is pretty indestructible and kiko isn't going to hold up. Not a crazy bet, but could easily blow up too.

100%, and something to consider. He's got a lot of miles on the tread, but the more I think about the deal, the more I like it. If you're going to roll the dice on a guy, might as well be Shady.

Fully agree with this, particularly if the revelation about Kiko not wanting to be here is true.

:beer: Yes, I should stress that's speculation now of course, it might turn out not to be true. But if it is, it makes the trade even more of a win for both clubs.

another great move

This is all Rex. Don't blame Whaley for this one.

Kiko wanted out

@JasonLaCanfora: Can confirm ESPN report Eagles have traded Shady McCoy for Kiko Alonso. One for one trade I'm told. Alonso had wanted out of Buffalo. Wow

All Rex, as I said.

McCoy missed his sr year with a compound ankle fracture, hes got his own nasty injury history. and his production and role with eagles was sliding fast

"Chip Kelly was reluctant to devote $11.95 million in cap space to McCoy after watching the 26-year-old's production drop from 5.1 yards per carry and 10.4 yards per reception to 4.2 and 5.5, respectively.

After being phased out the passing game in favor of Darren Sproles early in the season, McCoy forfeited short-yardage work to Chris Polk down the stretch. In other words, McCoy was too often on the sidelines in critical situations"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476192/article/eagles-bills-to-swap-lesean-mccoy-for-kiko-alonso

Edited by JTSP

That's completely true. Bradham said that right after Kiko got hurt. Alonso inspired Bradham by his mentality/work ethic etc. that's what got Bradham focused and dedicated in the preceding off season.

And yet, without him, Bradham still went on and had a breakout year. Do you think he's not going to remember the work ethic part of the equation if Kiko isn't there? Come on, you're reaching.

Some on this board just don't have a finger on the pulse of this franchise.

Great Move, a lot of hard work went into this. Nothing is final as of now.

Kikos' knee is a concern, long term. This is the second major injury on the left knee.

Shady in Romans offense, watch out!!

Imo

Edited by Leroi

Checked the Eagles message boards. Fury is a good word to describe it. I can't post most comments because, well, they're made by people from Philadelphia. But the main idea:

"Makes no sense, you trade the best RB in the NFL for a LB that was hurt last season straight up ? Eagles go 8-8 next year Chip is gone."

McCoy missed his sr year with a compound ankle fracture, hes got his own nasty injury history. and his production and role with eagles was sliding fast

"Chip Kelly was reluctant to devote $11.95 million in cap space to McCoy after watching the 26-year-old's production drop from 5.1 yards per carry and 10.4 yards per reception to 4.2 and 5.5, respectively.

After being phased out the passing game in favor of Darren Sproles early in the season, McCoy forfeited short-yardage work to Chris Polk down the stretch. In other words, McCoy was too often on the sidelines in critical situations"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476192/article/eagles-bills-to-swap-lesean-mccoy-for-kiko-alonso

The only reason his numbers slipped was because Kelly didn't utilize him at all in certain situations. Chip took a back coming off of his best year ever and made him a 2 down decoy.

But, you know, facts...

I haven't followed this team too closely the last few years so I may not know what the hell I'm talking about but then again the voice of reason....? Kiko performed miracles in minds of many of you. He had a few good games and has a major injury, a major injury that we have no idea how he will perform after. I always thought it was comically amusing how many of you fell absolutely in love with a guy who had what, 5 good games and thought he was the next coming of Chuck Norris.

Awkward. Spiller is on NFL Network live right now. He just found out when he saw the report right before he went on. Looks shell shocked. Says he was really hoping to stay in Buffalo.

What, "there is still a possibility I could be in a Bills uniform" and "EJ was a little too buddy buddy" wasn't enough writing on the wall for you?

We had a better shot at Beyonce' suiting up as a Jill next year.

I hope I'm proven very wrong, but I think this trade is freaking horrible. It's got a Gregg Williams vibe to it - a great player not fitting a scheme gets bounced.

McCoy has a lot of tread on the tires - he's up to 7000 yards after consecutive 300+ carry seasons.

When the text arrived My initial reaction right at the dinner table was Nooooooo! and my son chimed in ~ We are Big Kiko Fans (who isn't?!)

But I may need to admit that McCoy would be The Best RB since Thurman and if he can do what Thurman did with catching and running - it could, as outlined above, really improve our Team.

Isn't that and Winning what its all about? I already miss The Legend but Go Bills!

This trade shows who is in charge in Buffalo, and it ain't Whaley. This is ALL Rex Ryan. Whaley is not trading his best draft pick (based on draft slot) for a RB.

Dave, this trade is a thing of beauty!!! Spiller is out the door. And, there is no freaking doubt in my mind now that they will go after more blockers in the draft and/or free agency. And let's face facts.....Kiko, while good, is light in the ass and coming off a serious injury.

I LOVE this trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

I sense Rex had a role in this. Despite alleging that the system will be made to use the talent on hand, Kiko didn't fit Rex's idea of what he wanted as a lb in his system. A coverage lb apparently has no role......that what Kiko was....not a run plugger.....but a three down guy. I would be interested to go back and see how Kiko did against Rex in 13.......anyhow, seriously doubt that Whaley did this on his own. I Fredex also done it appears.

Some on this board just don't have a finger on the pulse of this franchise.

Great Move, a lot of hard work went into this. Nothing is final as of now.

Kikos' knee is a concern, long term. This is the second major injury on the left knee.

Shady in Romans offense, watch out!!

Great Job Doug!!!

Imo

leroi, I think you're right. But he's a fan favorite, and I expect a lot of emotion from the fan base. I need a padded room. But come September, I'll be happy this went down. Most of the nfl media think it was a salary dump from Chip and the Bills were more than happy to reap the benefits.