FA QB option: Matt Moore

YoloinOhio

I wouldn't mind going into camp with EJ, Tuel & Matt Moore.

I also like the idea or drafting Sean Mannion or Bryce Petty.

Or kick the tires on Taj Boyd … Still young , good price could be a good pick up with David Lee & Roman !!

Good competition any way you look at it !!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good, but I would rate him as a really, really poor man's Orton. The guy has played basically 1 season, whereas Orton has like 4 3000 yard years under his belt. Moore is pretty green for being in the NFL for 8 years.

That's a good point. I'd probably describe him as less experienced/proven than Orton, and thus a riskier proposition, but I wouldn't necessarily assume he's worse. He's played to Orton's level, just not sustained over as long a period.

That's a good point. I'd probably describe him as less experienced/proven than Orton, and thus a riskier proposition, but I wouldn't necessarily assume he's worse. He's played to Orton's level, just not sustained over as long a period.

I would agree with that. Just odd that he doesn't have more experience under his belt.

as I recall, Moore is about 10 times more mobile than Orton. I have a feeling we are looking for a more mobile guy.

This is good, but I would rate him as a really, really poor man's Orton. The guy has played basically 1 season, whereas Orton has like 4 3000 yard years under his belt. Moore is pretty green for being in the NFL for 8 years.

Career .500 record, 59%, 7ypa, little better than 1:1 td:int

.500, 59%, 6.7 ypa and 3:2

I would agree with that. Just odd that he doesn't have more experience under his belt.

as I recall, Moore is about 10 times more mobile than Orton. I have a feeling we are looking for a more mobile guy.

i agree they won't want a statue back there. That's why I think guys like Glennon and mallett are not likely options. I could see a Colt McCoy, who knows roman's offense, as another backup type option. I still would prefer a guy like Bradford or Locker who could legit compete for the starting role. If only they weren't made of glass. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think Moore is worth exploring in FA. He currently doesn't have a chance to start in Miami as Tannehill doesn't miss games, even when hurt. He's making 4mill/yr because he's valuable to the Fish and is a former starter. He knows the division well. At the very least I think he could be good vet backup, similar to Orton. Thoughts?

@DolfansNYC: Dolphins free-agent profile: QB Matt Moore http://t.co/aOyEdrbcbq#Dolphins

Of the various FA available at this time, he is my first choice.

Pluses: in the year he played most, put up decent numbers (60.5% completions, 16 TD 9 INT 7.0 AY/A). Steady veteran - 30 yrs old. By reports, good mentor and steadying presence in the QB room.

Minuses: hasn't really played since 2011, so if his skills have decayed, who knows? Bit of a black box there.

I can see him wanting to resign in Miami.

I think it's likely Miami tries to resign him. They need a 2nd QB, unless there's someone they like in the draft and they want to save $$. I'm too lazy tonight to look up the Marine Mammal's cap situation.

Then it comes down to - does he want safe and comfortable in Miami, easy money? Or does he want a gig with more chance to play?

Of all the just plain free agents, he's easily my choice. We could do a lot worse, and often have. Get him in, go after a big trade or bigger guy you probably aren't going to get, and if you don't, let him battle it out with EJ. If EJ beats him out, we may have something. If EJ cant, then that says something too. He can run a ball control game and then get it down field to Watkins and Woods and hopefully a TE.

Don't you ever get tired of nailing it?

I read a piece a year or two ago that made a fairly convincing case for Moore being better than Tannehill. I don't know if I agree with that at this point, but he was pretty good the last time he saw significant action back in 2011. In 13 games (12 starts) he averaged 7.2 ypa, threw 16 TDs to 9 INT, and went 6-6 with a sorry Dolphins team that went 0-4 in games he didn't start.

I doubt he'll make any pro-bowls but he's a decent pro that will give us at least Ortonesque production if not better, and if EJ or someone else beats him out for the starting job then he will have earned it.

He took over for Chad Henne who was 0-7 and finished 6-3. In those last 9gms MM lead the Dolphins to scoring over 20pts 8 times, 4 out of those 8 were 30plus pts including 35-8 beatdown of our beloved Bills. I like this guys makeup he doesn't get rattled has leadership and great command of the huddle. Also very tough guy that doesn't mind taking risks downfield. He's definitely not the long term franchise guy we've been looking for but can possibly be a nice bridge to our next guy if Ej doesn't work out.

I think it's not fair to compare MM to Orton, there 2 completely different guys. MM reminds me of a cross breed between Alex Smith & Russ Wilson. He has the same skills set as A Smith with a better arm but also has that bulldog mentality that Russ plays with. I think MM if given a chance can lead us to the playoffs.

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

I think it's likely Miami tries to resign him. They need a 2nd QB, unless there's someone they like in the draft and they want to save $$. I'm too lazy tonight to look up the Marine Mammal's cap situation.

A few years ago when he came up for FA after Tannyhill got there and was the starter he came up for FA. But he re upped with the Fish.

I'm not sold on him. He had one sort of decent season in Carolina. Whenever I've seen him play for the Fish in relief or PS, he has looked mediocre at best.

I'm hoping we can somehow do better than him.

If nothing else, I'd rather take Kellen Moore.

Edited by reddogblitz

Of the various FA available at this time, he is my first choice.

Pluses: in the year he played most, put up decent numbers (60.5% completions, 16 TD 9 INT 7.0 AY/A). Steady veteran - 30 yrs old. By reports, good mentor and steadying presence in the QB room.

Minuses: hasn't really played since 2011, so if his skills have decayed, who knows? Bit of a black box there.

Then it comes down to - does he want safe and comfortable in Miami, easy money? Or does he want a gig with more chance to play?

I think that Moore to bills is real because the chance to start is real. Tanny keeps doing just enough to fend off Moore for the job.

I can not believe how many people are for signing Matt Moore. MATT FREAKING MOORE!?! I'd rather have Kyle Orton no question. Orton throws more accurately if you can believe that. You all are nuts. I'm for Locker and Hoyer to push EJ. IF Bradford is let go, he's number one. Lol Matt Moore.

I can not believe how many people are for signing Matt Moore. MATT FREAKING MOORE!?! I'd rather have Kyle Orton no question. Orton throws more accurately if you can believe that. You all are nuts. I'm for Locker and Hoyer to push EJ. IF Bradford is let go, he's number one. Lol Matt Moore.

Forget about the Hurt Locker that guy can't play a full gm. Kellen Moore people stop smoking that stuff. Bradford only if we can still sign Matt Moore that way we have adequate depth at the QB position.

orton isn't an option. I would like to bring in Bradford too, but it's pretty likely he won't be an option either.

I got an idea, The Bills should be innovative let's sign Locker, Vick & Moore trade for Bradford and use a baseball staff approach. Along with Ej that's 5 Qbs. We can either use them in rotation of games or use them according to in game situations.

For example if we're down by multiple scores or in 2 min drills we use Bradford to throw the ball. In short yardage situations we can use Locker, Ej or Vick in read option qb keeper plays. Vick should always start gms to keep D´s off balance. Ej can come in to start 3rd Quarters considering that he's a good 2nd half QB. Last but not least Matt Moore can be the reliable closer QB that comes in and closes games when we have a lead.

I remember in late 80's when John Elway got hurt for the Broncos. The Broncos employed a similar system with Tommy Maddox & Kubiak. It was weird to watch but interesting non the less

During the one season in which Moore was actually a starter (2011 -- started 12 games), he completed 60.5% of his passes at 7.2 yds/attempt and had a QB rating of 87.1.

Not spectacular by any means, but entirely serviceable in a run-oriented offense.

During the one season in which Moore was actually a starter (2011 -- started 12 games), he completed 60.5% of his passes at 7.2 yds/attempt and had a QB rating of 87.1.

Not spectacular by any means, but entirely serviceable in a run-oriented offense.

and realistically, we need to hope for serviceable rather than spectacular because spectacular isn't available. This team needs a game manager who is capable of big plays when needed. Edited by YoloinOhio

I got an idea, The Bills should be innovative let's sign Locker, Vick & Moore trade for Bradford and use a baseball staff approach. Along with Ej that's 5 Qbs. We can either use them in rotation of games or use them according to in game situations.

For example if we're down by multiple scores or in 2 min drills we use Bradford to throw the ball. In short yardage situations we can use Locker, Ej or Vick in read option qb keeper plays. Vick should always start gms to keep D´s off balance. Ej can come in to start 3rd Quarters considering that he's a good 2nd half QB. Last but not least Matt Moore can be the reliable closer QB that comes in and closes games when we have a lead.

I remember in late 80's when John Elway got hurt for the Broncos. The Broncos employed a similar system with Tommy Maddox & Kubiak. It was weird to watch but interesting non the less

Brilliant! EJ has a nasty sinker.

All three of those guys suck ass. Worse than Moore. Especially Flynn and Sanchez.

Yeah, I wouldn't want any of those guys, but Moore is a benchwarmer, for sure. He had one fraction of a season where he was the starter in Miami and he went 6-7.....and that was 4 years ago.

Looks like the best thing to happen to Moore professionally is for him to have sat and done nothing for 3 seasons. Now people here can covet him for that one brief period where he was another mediocre starter.

Yeah, I wouldn't want any of those guys, but Moore is a benchwarmer, for sure. He had one fraction of a season where he was the starter in Miami and he went 6-7.....and that was 4 years ago.

Looks like the best thing to happen to Moore professionally is for him to have sat and done nothing for 3 seasons. Now people here can covet him for that one brief period where he was another mediocre starter.

there isn't anyone available I "covet" because there aren't any good starters available. I am open to seeing him compete for a spot on the team though.

Now people here can covet him for that one brief period where he was another mediocre starter.

thats most of whats hitting the market these days -- so take your pick of who its going to be.

hes 6 of one a half dozen of the other with a lot of guys probably. i like that hes a vet and has been comfortable and gotten good reviews on pairing with a young QB before. he has the ability to knock out a .500ish season like orton if everything else crashes and burns. i think hes the type of guy that fits a role on this roster well. Hes KO with some mentoring skills, commitment and less neck beard.

Edited by NoSaint

there isn't anyone available I "covet" because there aren't any good starters available. I am open to seeing him compete for a spot on the team though.

Compete for a starting spot? He's never been able to win one anywhere in 8 years? He hasn't played in 3 years.

Compete for a starting spot? He's never been able to win one anywhere in 8 years? He hasn't played in 3 years.

I believe his actual words were "compete for a spot on the team" -- you have an issue with that?

Bills were willing to pay $5 million for a career .500 QB that provided insurance. That should certainly entice any of the pending FA QBs to Buffalo, especially when you throw in a carrot of a legit starting opportunity. Moore reupped with Miami 2 years ago because Tanneyhill was still a work in progress. Now that he appears entrenched in the job, Moore would be wise to consider other options, especially if they offer better pay and better odd at playing. It may sound cliche, but I can't see Moore playing worse than Orton did towards the latter part of 2014. (My first interview question would be, do you slide short of a first down on a third & one run?)

I don't know why this needs to be said again in 2015, but franchise and even quality starting caliber QBs may hit free agency maybe, once a decade. I don't see any opportunity for a winning QB with solid future potential being available in free agency this year.

So from the likely available crop, Moore is the best choice. Bills seem to be willing to pay top dollar for the position, and that's a good thing that we don't need to settle anymore.

I still think Whaley is swinging for the fences to land a QB via trade before free agency starts. But if that falls through, I see them being very aggressive in trying to land the best available FA QB.