Bills parting ways with CJ Spiller? - NFL Insiders on ESPN

KDIGGZ

He has fumble issues with the Eagles too. He never did much in college either. He's had like 2 games of good play in his career. I don't get it. spiller is such a far superior back.

Brown has had 3 games in 39 and in one of the games he fumbled twice. So he has that going for him.

I've very clearly been a harsh critic of CJ's since the minute we drafted him...But I also recognize what he is capable of doing on a football field...And he is capable of a lot...

CJ should be utilized like Darren Sproles...He's should be a specialty back who catches the ball as much, if not more, than he runs it...and a return guy...Look at Sproles stats from 2010-2013...238 rushing attempts, 291 receptions...I don't think it's a coincidence that there were reports of interest by Chip Kelly before he traded for Sproles...Kelly knows what Spiller should be...

From what I've heard out of Whaley lately it seems to me the Bills have every intention of at least trying to get Spiller back at a decent price...And I'm guessing (well...maybe I'm praying) that means they understand how he has to be used from this point on...I also think CJ's preference is to stay in Buffalo...Granted Rex and Roman would like to pound it...And I think they will...But I also hope if Spiller does return they are smart enough to recognize what Spiller could mean to an Offense if properly used...He's not an every-down back...I don't even think he's a great fit as a back-up...I do think he's a weapon and a potential match-up nightmare if properly utilized...We've all seen what Spiller can do when a play fits his skills...He can still be dynamic...He can still be a game-breaker...But if he's going to be used the way Marrone and the boy wonder used him he's never going to be consistently effective...I think Rex and Roman are smarter...

We'll see soon enough I guess...As much as I've been frustrated by CJ over the years I really like the kid a lot and I would love to see him placed into a system that properly uses his skills and hides his weaknesses...I hope that system is in Buffalo...But at the moment I'd give it no more than a 50/50 chance of happening... B-)

I think that I have read this thread about 1,000 times on this board. Each time, pretty much the same people say the same things for and against.

To save time, I will just incorporate the same things I have posted previously in support of CJ.

Speed isn't a skill set. If it were a lot of 5'10" WRs this team has drafted would be all pros. Can't wait to move on from Spiller. Lacks the true skill determined expected of legit feature back, namely vision, willingness to cut up field into a hole, toughness, strength, and occasional pass blocking. He's a niche player that this team outside of Gailey couldn't utlize.

Blahh just speculation. "Seems likely they won't keep him. He will look for an offense that better suits his skill set." Nothing that we didn't already know

He does exhibit a unique skill set: Seventy-five yard run in the first quarter followed by sixteen two yard gains for the rest of the game.

Vaya con Dios, CJ.

This reminds me of the Lets dump Marshawn Lynch or the famous Willis McGahee is washed up threads.

Even Travis Henry Burned Buffalo after leaving town.

So what did the Buffalo Bills do ?

Draft yet another running back with a premium selection rather then draft a QB #1 :thumbdown:

Edited by HOUSE

This reminds me of the Lets dump Marshawn Lynch or the famous Willis McGahee is washed up threads.

Even Travis Henry Burned Buffalo after leaving town.

So what did the Buffalo Bills do ?

Draft yet another running back with a premium selection rather then draft a QB #1 :thumbdown:

Yep. That's the earmark of Bills fans. Dump the only runner on the team who can break a run for more than ten yards. Dump the runner who AVERAGED six yards per carry a couple of years ago, the last time they had an OC who did not have his head up his fundament, because "we're not running that system."

He does exhibit a unique skill set: Seventy-five yard run in the first quarter followed by sixteen two yard gains for the rest of the game.

Vaya con Dios, CJ.

Yep. Who needs those 75-yard runs? Let's play someone who consistently will get us three yards per carry between the tackles, because that's really gonna make this offense hum.

We have between the tackles guys (fred, boobie). CJ is still the superior change of pace guy (over Brown). We still need him but we need him at the right price. We also need to monitor the Murray situation, I wouldnt be surprised to see Peterson end up in Dallas and Murray be available..

Edited by SJDK

I was thinking probably not bringing Spiller back but when you check the FA runningbacks, not so fast. Gore is 31, Murray likely going back to Dallas, Mathews coming off an injury and rest are filler - terrible choices. Spill might be back

From Jerrah Jones on the potential re-signing of Bryant and Murray, “Is it possible? Yes,” owner Jerry Jones recently explained. “But if you just look at it from the standpoint of dollars and cents, it probably doesn’t look reasonable.”

Running backs aren't gonna be given the big money they got in the past. If it's between Bryant and Murray I think Dallas keeps Bryant.

If we have a good plan to spend serious money to improve the Oline, and there's enough left over then I hope we keep CJ.

If we're going to battle next year with the same guards we had this year, then we don't need CJ and he won't want us anyway.

If there's good run blocking upfront there's nobody I'd rather have running for us.

Speed isn't a skill set. If it were a lot of 5'10" WRs this team has drafted would be all pros. Can't wait to move on from Spiller. Lacks the true skill determined expected of legit feature back, namely vision, willingness to cut up field into a hole, toughness, strength, and occasional pass blocking. He's a niche player that this team outside of Gailey couldn't utlize.

I agree with you Zonabb. There are people on this board that think you can just sign a late round draftee or an undrafted F.A. & then simply plug them in. Although I don't think that one has to draft a RB in the 1st round, there are differences that the very good RB's possess. Just watch the replays of the Steelers, Bell, Watch how he patiently allows his line to create very small creases & then pops the run for 10 yards. The replays from behind the Steelers during the Tn game was especially enlightening. Spiller has speed - period. IMHO he is a below average runner & even in a Sproles type role, will never be a Sproles. Sign him if we must, but if we need the $$$ to re sign a more important member of the team, I say - let him walk.

Yep. That's the earmark of Bills fans. Dump the only runner on the team who can break a run for more than ten yards. Dump the runner who AVERAGED six yards per carry a couple of years ago, the last time they had an OC who did not have his head up his fundament, because "we're not running that system."

Yep. Who needs those 75-yard runs? Let's play someone who consistently will get us three yards per carry between the tackles, because that's really gonna make this offense hum.

So the fact the guy will have too many negative runs or runs for a yard.....cant run between the tackles.....and oh yeah CANT PASS BLOCK

Get that contract ready Whaley!

The only way Spiller contributes is if you throw to him in the open field or if you have a sensational offensive line that continually opens huge holes for him so he isn't tempted to try to run outside. Since you don't want your running back to be primarily a pass catcher and since the Bills have less than a steller offensive line, say goodbye to him. It wasn't a great marriage.

The only way Spiller contributes is if you throw to him in the open field or if you have a sensational offensive line that continually opens huge holes for him so he isn't tempted to try to run outside. Since you don't want your running back to be primarily a pass catcher and since the Bills have less than a steller offensive line, say goodbye to him. It wasn't a great marriage.

He's never had even a good OL and he averaged 6.0 a carry one year and 5.0 for his career with terrible lines. I'm so sick of people saying stuff like you just did. If he had a sensational line he would be better than that, which would be the best of all time.

Plain and simple. CJ Spiller when utilized correctly is a strong, game breaking weapon. This team needs strong weapons. If he can be had for the right price we need to keep him.

That's the key isn't it? If Roman gets him space like Gailey did, then keep CJ, most definitely. If Roman runs CJ up the gut in power formations like Marrone did, then we need to let him sign elsewhere. It's all dependent on the system Roman wants to run.

That was the major difference imo... we ran CJ out of spread/3+ WR formations under Gailey, whereas Marrone used a lot of two TE sets, bringing more defensive players into the box.

Edited by Dorkington

That's the key isn't it? If Roman gets him space like Gailey did, then keep CJ, most definitely. If Roman runs CJ up the gut in power formations like Marrone did, then we need to let him sign elsewhere. It's all dependent on the system Roman wants to run.

That was the major difference imo... we ran CJ out of spread/3+ WR formations under Gailey, whereas Marrone used a lot of two TE sets, bringing more defensive players into the box.

EVeryone thought the same about Stevie then he got a deal and then Marrone ruined him by putting him in the slot like a moron.

Stevie seemed like the type of wr you put in the slot. I do feel EJ and he didn't seem to click. Word was keap had a similar problem synching with his unorthodox route running.

I don't think Spiller can be an all purpose back, but there are things he can do that others can't and those things might work better in Roman's offense.

I always thought starting CJ and sprinkling in stronger backs was an ass backwards way of using him. In a power scheme that wears down the defense with strong RBs plowing between the tackles it makes it hard for a defense to adjust when you bring in someone with the speed of Spiller.

I don't want to throw big money at him, but I'd be very interested to see how effective he can be under the new regime.

And FTR, I never turned on Marrone until he skipped town, but that "run him until he pukes" line always bothered me.

Edited by Rob's House

I don't think Spiller can be an all purpose back, but there are things he can do that others can't and those things might work better in Roman's offense.

I always thought starting CJ and sprinkling in stronger backs was an ass backwards way of using him. In a power scheme that wears down the defense with strong RBs plowing between the tackles it makes it hard for a defense to adjust when you bring in someone with the speed of Spiller.

I don't want to throw big money at him, but I'd be very interested to see how effective he can be under the new regime.

And FTR, I never turned on Marrone until he skipped town, but that "run him until he pukes" line always bothered me.

You forget that many were angry at Chan for not giving the ball to Spiller enough. "Winded," "It's Fred's turn," etc.

Plain and simple. CJ Spiller when utilized correctly is a strong, game breaking weapon. This team needs strong weapons. If he can be had for the right price we need to keep him.

I never quite get this argument. Chan got him 12 touches per game, tried a go at wr. We saw the same inconsistentcy even in his best season where it was a lot of all or nothing type stuff.

He's a running back. How are you supposed to "use" him exclusively in space. Can't block, not great at recieving... So Sweeps and screen passes only to #28 is a game plan???... He's a great gadget player, an elite athlete but just isn't a NFL grade Rb. He can't move the chains.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

You forget that many were angry at Chan for not giving the ball to Spiller enough. "Winded," "It's Fred's turn," etc.

I never agreed with those people. I thought Chan knew what he was doing on offense and squeezed just about as much production as he could out of a squad with mediocre talent.

I never agreed with those people. I thought Chan knew what he was doing on offense and squeezed just about as much production as he could out of a squad with mediocre talent.

Right, but I always thought it was Hackett's way of saying, "we aren't gonna have those same problems Chan did."

Little did we know.

hope he see the light and goes else where, his value will decline everyday if he stay here, with new ass clown HC in charge, maybe become a Pat, and then he will become a real Offensive weapon, Billy will get the best out of CJ especially when the Pats play the Bills

Right on the mark. Ryan will never put up with a running back who runs for negative three yards and then comes to the sideline for a winder.

Well Rex has never had any great running backs so maybe he should change his ways. CJ is the perfect compliment to the other backs. When the offense wasn't so predictable he showed us flashes of greatness. You must have a speed RB in the NFL. Someone to keep a defense off balance. In fact that is what the Jets thought they were getting in Chris Johnson. Spiller would be exactly the type of player Rex was hoping to get in Johnson (and FAR better).

RB is, luckily, not an area of concern for us. More importantly, CJ would be better on dancing with the stars than an NFL running back. Good riddance. Boobie And Bryce will be fine comments to FJAX in his last season.

Boobie and Bryce are your answer at running back? Dixon is a solid short yardage guy, but way too slow to be anything more. Great leader and special teamer. Bryce Brown couldnt get on the field long enough without fumbling to show us anything. For once I would like to not take a step back when we are close to something good.

Well Rex has never had any great running backs so maybe he should change his ways. CJ is the perfect compliment to the other backs. When the offense wasn't so predictable he showed us flashes of greatness. You must have a speed RB in the NFL. Someone to keep a defense off balance. In fact that is what the Jets thought they were getting in Chris Johnson. Spiller would be exactly the type of player Rex was hoping to get in Johnson (and FAR better).

Boobie and Bryce are your answer at running back? Dixon is a solid short yardage guy, but way too slow to be anything more. Great leader and special teamer. Bryce Brown couldnt get on the field long enough without fumbling to show us anything. For once I would like to not take a step back when we are close to something good.

Dixson is way too slow? So slow he led the team with 4.1 yds/carry?? Led team in +20 yard runs...

Rb isn't about speed. Plenty of slower guys are very good rbs.

If we have a good plan to spend serious money to improve the Oline, and there's enough left over then I hope we keep CJ.

If we're going to battle next year with the same guards we had this year, then we don't need CJ and he won't want us anyway.

If there's good run blocking upfront there's nobody I'd rather have running for us.

so no ones better than cj as long as our guards are good? i can think of about 10 rbs id rather have, some dont even fumble or lose 4 yards a carry 3-4 times a game.