Bills parting ways with CJ Spiller? - NFL Insiders on ESPN

KDIGGZ

It's one of the upcoming topics on NFL Insiders on ESPN right now. Interested to hear what they say. Nothing on twitter about it yet so it might be a false alarm but we should know soon...

Edited by kdiggz

I think everyone is assuming that the Bills will not re-sign him and let him become a free-agent...I am guessing it will be them "speculating" what most here, and other places have assumed already.

That's assuming he wants to re-sign and not test the market with his new agent. Makes sense for him to go to the Jets with Gailey, except that they are pretty set at RB as far as I know.

he actually doesn't have a player option. It automatically voided in 2012 based on production qualifiers.

Interesting. I know the NFL free agents article made sure to state that CJ needed to void his contract to be a free agent. I just wasn't sure exactly why they made that distinction.

Nothing wrong with CJ Spiller if he's used correctly and gets some decent blocking. Unfortunately Marrone could provide him with neither.

I'd love to have him back at the right price. Watkins, Spiller and Manuel could provide some real serious misdirection problems with the right play calls. I'd like to keep him a grab an offensive lineman with that 50th pick.

Interesting. I know the NFL free agents article made sure to state that CJ needed to void his contract to be a free agent. I just wasn't sure exactly why they made that distinction.

The entire "player option" thing was one big misunderstood (and mis-reported) mess. Here is an article that clarifies it a little more...

http://overthecap.com/cj-spiller-mysterious-player-option/

That's assuming he wants to re-sign and not test the market with his new agent. Makes sense for him to go to the Jets with Gailey, except that they are pretty set at RB as far as I know.

More speculation, but heard some of the talking heads speculate that Chris Johnson would not be back with the Jests next season....Spiller would be a decent substitution...

CJ doesn't really fit the kind of running style Rex is probably going to run imo. They need a pounder that can carry the ball 20+ times a game.

Right on the mark. Ryan will never put up with a running back who runs for negative three yards and then comes to the sideline for a winder.

I saw that too. It seems as though there is confusion about whether he can simply stay on the team by not choosing to opt out or whether it has happened automatically.

At this point, I have no idea.

I'm fine with letting CJ walk. He's just not a guy you want carrying the load and there's not much need to use him as just a situational or part time player when we have other capable backs on the roster.

Edited by Bangarang

Nothing wrong with CJ Spiller if he's used correctly and gets some decent blocking. Unfortunately Marrone could provide him with neither.

I'd love to have him back at the right price. Watkins, Spiller and Manuel could provide some real serious misdirection problems with the right play calls. I'd like to keep him a grab an offensive lineman with that 50th pick.

I agree, however, Roman seems to like bruisers at RB (Frank Gore) and I'm betting Spiller doesn't fit the plan. I am OK for Spiller to move on. I bet Gailey will scoop him up and for good reason. Would like to see Bills pick up another RB to push Fred and Boobie ... I'm still not convinced Boobie is worthy of sharing reps.

yes there is, hes dumb, uninstinctive, a fumbler, undersized, not as fast as he was advertised. spiller sucks, anyone can see that.

The real question is Free Agency, Draft, or Status Quo for the Bills assuming his departure

Bryce Brown isn't good enough to be in the league. I expect Spiller gone but they're gonna have to bring somebody in. RB's have no value just sign a udfa or use a late round pick.

Doesn't he have to turn down his option for next year first? Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

great avatar

Bryce Brown isn't good enough to be in the league. I expect Spiller gone but they're gonna have to bring somebody in. RB's have no value just sign a udfa or use a late round pick.

I completely disagree with this statement. Brown can play and will have an impact if used properly.

I fully expect him to be playing for another team next year. He does not fit Ryan and Roman's profile at all.

You're probably right but I hate that. He can be so dangerous if used right. He isn't Bettis like Marrone tried to use him.

The 49ers did draft LaMichael James so maybe Roman would like a bigger better version of hjm.

I really liked what I saw of Bryce Brown last year. He was awesome on those swing

passes out of the backfield and also can be that pound and ground guy that Rex favors.

I think the Bryce Brown hype is matching the Kirk Cousins hype.

It's one of the upcoming topics on NFL Insiders on ESPN right now. Interested to hear what they say. Nothing on twitter about it yet so it might be a false alarm but we should know soon...

He's gone.

they can say all they want about getting/keeping the best players but they want big tough guys and that is what they are going to get and 34 type of defenders.

I really liked what I saw of Bryce Brown last year. He was awesome on those swing

passes out of the backfield and also can be that pound and ground guy that Rex favors.

I really loved when I saw him doing his specialty--fumbling out of the endzone to lose the game against the Chiefs.

I really loved when I saw him doing his specialty--fumbling out of the endzone to lose the game against the Chiefs.

He has fumble issues with the Eagles too. He never did much in college either. He's had like 2 games of good play in his career. I don't get it. spiller is such a far superior back.