• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good info

--Whaley wants HC to develop EJ

-- Shanahans would not be a GM/HC combo but rather HC/OC combo

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/06/bills-interview-least-4-coach-candidates-end-week/

Thanks -- good link. Here's what this tells me -- the fundamental divide between Marrone and Whaley may be over Manuel, and I can only imagine that it was a bitter split. Very interesting that Whaley has been speaking in glowing terms about EJ.

Edited by dave mcbride

Thanks -- good link. Here's what this tells me -- the fundamental divide between Marrone and Whaley may be over Manuel, and I can only imagine that it was a bitter split. Very interesting that Whaley has been speaking in glowing terms about EJ.

Yep - I don't think Whaley is going to go into next season without viable alternatives or competition but my guess is he's like to see what another coach could do with EJ.

GM pushing his 1st round bust on potential head coaching candidates. That always works out well. I'd say thanks but no thanks and run far away. From the "glowing terms" Whaley is using to describe EJ because let's just forget they signed Orton late and benched EJ after 4 games just a few months ago, it sounds like they won't be looking for any competition for EJ either. Back to square one, broken record and so on.

GM pushing his 1st round bust on potential head coaching candidates. That always works out well. I'd say thanks but no thanks and run far away. From the "glowing terms" Whaley is using to describe EJ because let's just forget they signed Orton late and benched EJ after 4 games just a few months ago, it sounds like they won't be looking for any competition for EJ either. Back to square one, broken record and so on.

He said the opposite in the year-end presser. But EJ is signed for 2 more years and I think he'd like to see another approach before bailing on the kid.

yeah. Not so sure I like hearing that they are taking this "approach".

Based on what? Not sure it's a shocker that the GM wants the new coach to try and develop the QB they drafted in the first round two years ago! I'd still be surprised if we don't see at least a couple more guys in here (vet and a rook)...

Alex Smith was a bust until Harbaugh got a hold of him. Maybe EJ will do better with different coaching. As long as they bring in competition, I'm all for trying to see if he improved at all this past year.

EJ is the only quarterback on the Bills. Jeff Tuel doesn't count. The Bills will also bring in a veteran to compete for the job. It's just good business for Whaley to talk well of Manuel and see what kind of plan that the prospective coaches have for him. It would be incredibly stupid for him to say, well, we don't know what we have with EJ and he may never be good.

Shanny Jr wants out of Cleveland and the Browns know it. It is a terrible situation there right now.

Really...with two firsts? Good defense, some knucklehead youngins, but at worst could trade Johnny and both first and move up for the QB no?

Tennesee might go for that

He said the opposite in the year-end presser. But EJ is signed for 2 more years and I think he'd like to see another approach before bailing on the kid.

Whaley is the antithesis of Marrone -- cool, focused, and strategic. Always thinking ahead, sticking to the plan and not succumbing to knee-jerk reactions. A reasonable man does not give up on EJ Manuel after 14 games.

I found it interesting that little Shanny come as OC...Browns paying back favor for Bills letting D assistants go last year?

That's good on you, Paul -- I forgot about that. Makes sense, repaying that kindness...

Yep - I don't think Whaley is going to go into next season without viable alternatives or competition but my guess is he's like to see what another coach could do with EJ.

In his entire professional career, Manuel has had one coach, one offensive coordinator, and NO quarterback coach. And his coordinator is a known knucklehead, and his head coach spent more time with the line.

Yeah, it kind-of makes sense to say "Let's see if a different coach changes matters."

come on. you guys have seen Manuel. The guy has almost zero control or touch over his throws. Nobody can coach that. Not to mention he was doing a good job getting receivers hurt.

I am not defending EJ..but i think he was so worried about making the wrong read, or getting picked, or getting tackled , or doing anything Marrone would consider risky.....that he was slow and thinking rather than playing. His first game 4 games were better than his last 4...coaching has nothing to do with that?

Really...with two firsts? Good defense, some knucklehead youngins, but at worst could trade Johnny and both first and move up for the QB no?

Tennesee might go for that

I think they could cut Manziel and Gordon. They have no QB. The coaches are fighting with the FO. Defense fell apart. Terrible draft last year. They have way too many holes with the two firsts to move up for a QB too; they need both for the DL.

The one place they look solid is the OL with Mack returning.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'll add this -- if Whaley has been taking that sort of lead role in discussions with coaching candidates, it tends to poke even more holes in the "Whaley to be marginalized" theory being thrown about over the weekend.

I'll add this -- if Whaley has been taking that sort of lead role in discussions with coaching candidates, it tends to poke even more holes in the "Whaley to be marginalized" theory being thrown about over the weekend.

Yes - that's another reason I thought the Carucci article was important. I was getting worried not hearing much about Whaley.

i think it would be very beneficial to see what a different coach (coaches, staff) could do with ej manuel. everything that anyone liked about the kid is still there (arm, size, mobility? work ethic, attitude) so it makes sense to think that somebody with a different approach may be able to tap into that potential. bring in some more competition and let the new coach and his staff decide who is the best man for the job.

I thought it was a good idea to bench Manuel after the Houston game. He couldn't handle the pressure from Watt, and the OC made no adjustments to help him. I think he's been a real trooper working on the sidelines, and from what I read, he spent a lot of time after practice working on his game. He has talent. He has size, speed, and is pretty smart. It might be fun to see what a good coach can do with him.

i think it would be very beneficial to see what a different coach (coaches, staff) could do with ej manuel. everything that anyone liked about the kid is still there (arm, size, mobility? work ethic, attitude) so it makes sense to think that somebody with a different approach may be able to tap into that potential. bring in some more competition and let the new coach and his staff decide who is the best man for the job.

Exactly. People are not thinking at all when they are trashing Whaley for what he is doing because they think EJ sucks. The Bills are trying to get the best guy to come here, and the best offensive mind, and the best developer of QBs whether it is EJ or anyone else. He would be an idiot if he said anything bad about EJ. They wouldn't want the job as much, and they wouldn't provide insight on how they would develop a raw but talented quarterback, whether it's EJ or not. Not to mention that EJ is the only QB we have on the team so that guy is going to try to develop him.

I can't believe the near-sightedness of some people.

Oh, wait a nanosecond. Yes, I can. Carry on.

Alex Smith was a bust until Harbaugh got a hold of him. Maybe EJ will do better with different coaching. As long as they bring in competition, I'm all for trying to see if he improved at all this past year.

Ever heard of Norv Turner? Besides they had a new OC and scheme almost every year Smith was there.

EJ lacks the things which can't be taught. Pocket presence, accuracy, and an ability to read defenses. Shanahan ain't got time for that.

Whaley is the antithesis of Marrone -- cool, focused, and strategic. Always thinking ahead, sticking to the plan and not succumbing to knee-jerk reactions. A reasonable man does not give up on EJ Manuel after 14 games.

Nice to see a voice of reason among so many....others.

It should be a requirement that those advocating giving up on EJ must also state a credible plan for the QB position in 2015 and beyond. The guy was 2-2 this year, no?

Currently, Manuel is the only QB the Bills have. it only makes sense for Whaley to talk him up. I mean it wouldn't really be selling the job if he said, "Hey. we have no QBs on the team, what are you going to do?"

Edited by Wayne Cubed

It would be incredibly stupid for him to say, well, we don't know what we have with EJ and he may never be good.

Yeah, that would not be a great selling point. :death:

Then again, maybe its just some of Russ' marketing savvy rubbing off on him...

I continue to say he looked better as a rookie than he did in 2014. I don't know what happened, but I'd love to see him with a different coach and a scheme suited toward his strengths. I just don't trust Marrone anymore, and it leads me to believe he was not committed to his development.

I continue to say he looked better as a rookie than he did in 2014. I don't know what happened, but I'd love to see him with a different coach and a scheme suited toward his strengths. I just don't trust Marrone anymore, and it leads me to believe he was not committed to his development.

His natural game was coached out of him... you can see it last year when the 2 minute drill happens, and he is forced to play loose, in which he's pretty solid, imo.

Edited by Dorkington

I think he has to at this point.

Good info

--Whaley wants HC to develop EJ

-- Shanahans would not be a GM/HC combo but rather HC/OC combo

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/06/bills-interview-least-4-coach-candidates-end-week/

Whaley needs to be fired, he obviously is delusional towards EJ and just hopes to save face for a bad pick

Well, if Freddy's statements are to be believed, Marrone happened.

Ever heard of Norv Turner? Besides they had a new OC and scheme almost every year Smith was there.

EJ lacks the things which can't be taught. Pocket presence, accuracy, and an ability to read defenses. Shanahan ain't got time for that.

Serious question -- do you believe coaching "pressure" can negatively impact a player's performance, particularly if we're talking about a rookie/young player?