Head Coach candidate: Greg Roman

YoloinOhio

This seems like a weird strategy. Why not start with a list of 20, then narrow it down to X who will get interviews, and Y to get final interviews? You don't need to interview everyone, do you?

Normally, sure. But why the hell not at this point. Get to know lots of people. Get the right person. If we get beat on a hire, OK.

This seems like a weird strategy. Why not start with a list of 20, then narrow it down to X who will get interviews, and Y to get final interviews? You don't need to interview everyone, do you?

It isn't like they're flying off the shelves, so we have time to do our due diligence. Might as well.

Normally, sure. But why the hell not at this point. Get to know lots of people. Get the right person. If we get beat on a hire, OK.

It isn't like they're flying off the shelves, so we have time to do our due diligence. Might as well.

I guess so. My concern is that when you see 30 different people, it all probably seems to blend together. Hopefully, a few will really stand out, and we will not be late getting our guy.

Two years ago we left no stone unturned by spending a few days in Arizona conducting interviews with a few guys. This time around we're circling the country talking to everyone Whaley can think of. I guess I can't complain but I hope we make the right choice this time.

I think they are doing exactly what has been alluded to by some, picking the brains of some of the best minds in the game to assess what they see as issues with the team, what they would fix it etc. In the end they will have gathered a good collection of ideas from some very knowledgable coaches who are looking at it from a view outside the organization. Pretty smart if you ask me.

One thing i'm fairly positive of is that regardless of who they hire; they're bound to have interviewed someone who will be later identified as a better coach for another team than the one they ultimately chose.

It's pretty much an inevitability based on the sheer number of coaches they're interviewing.

I think they are doing exactly what has been alluded to by some, picking the brains of some of the best minds in the game to assess what they see as issues with the team, what they would fix it etc. In the end they will have gathered a good collection of ideas from some very knowledgable coaches who are looking at it from a view outside the organization. Pretty smart if you ask me.

Much cheaper than hiring a czar. Gotta make back that 4m somehow.

Umm.."Pegula is cheap!"?

Seriously...Is there anyone we ARENT considerimg?

I can't believe with the list this long that they're not considering Gary Kubiak. Oh wait, he was coaching this past week and is ineligible to be interviewed this week, too. Of course, we'll be rooting for the Ravens to beat the Pats.

They should put a moratorium on interviewing coaches until after the Super Bowl to make it fair for everyone.

College football should do something similar. No interviewing until after January 1st. It's stupid when these coaches take another job when their school is going to a bowl game and either they just leave or the school tells them to get lost. The kids then have to play with an assistant coach as head coach.

Although it's frustrating as a fan, as we all want more insight, this is the best method possible. There are 20 plus candidates that each offer a unique skillset. Each should be evaluated to ensure that the one chosen is the very best option. The Bills are a team on the brink. Maybe a precipice really. With the right coach, they are an 11+ win team. With a dud, they slide back into the doldrums. I hope they choose Bevell, but I'll cheer no matter who coaches them. They serve the tastiest kool aid.

Jeez , they are going to set a record . The old Al Davis model was to interview a ton of guys and learn as much intel as possible

Maybe it's Kim and a womens attention to detail.

This reminds me of the storyline on the Sopranos where Tony consults with every decent divorce lawyer in the city to ensure Carmella can't use them. I wish interviewing coaching candidates worked that way.

@alexmarvez: Source tells @NFLonFOX that @49ers have granted OC Greg Roman permission to interview for @buffalobills HC job. Happening on Friday

@ChrisTrapasso: Like Pep, Greg Roman's power-running background and work with mobile QB in pistol / other creative sets makes him a fine fit for #Bills.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Apparently Pegula and Roman know each other from the Penn St. coaching search a few years back.

I actually think Roman is a very good candidate. Kap has some similar issues as EJ that he would be familiar with scheming around. He seems like a young, bright coach who has had offenses in top half of league and strong running game. Probably wouldn't interfere with D. Been on very successful teams.

I actually think Roman is a very good candidate. Kap has some similar issues as EJ that he would be familiar with scheming around. He seems like a young, bright coach who has had offenses in top half of league and strong running game. Probably wouldn't interfere with D. Been on very successful teams.

His offenses have finished 20th or worse 3 out of the last 4 years, and Kaep seemed lost last season. I'm not sold.

His offenses have finished 20th or worse 3 out of the last 4 years, and Kaep seemed lost last season. I'm not sold.

I think there is quite a bit of debate as to who changed the offense last year - him or Harbaugh. No one is saying. He definitely took advantage of Kap's skill set early on and can see that offense working here based on current personnel. Mostly, he needs to have a strong OC and be able to effectively lead and manage a team/game as a HC. I have no idea about that but I have heard good things.

Don't forget Mike McCarthy was OC in SF before getting hired in GB as HC. His offense was not highly ranked in SF. I think it was near the bottom.

However - he has an OL background... we know how that worked out last time!

Edited by YoloinOhio

Roman doesn't seem to be held in high regard out here. A number of players have disagreed w/ his play calling & his use of the power running game diminished mid-season, although in the last couple of games they used it more, after being eliminated from the play offs.

There was also speculation, yes speculation, that one of the many reasons JH is gone was his loyalty to Roman.

One of the ceo's kids even called out Roman, yes she's an expert on knowing football, perhaps she could rate an interview.

Roman doesn't seem to be held in high regard out here. A number of players have disagreed w/ his play calling & his use of the power running game diminished mid-season, although in the last couple of games they used it more, after being eliminated from the play offs.

There was also speculation, yes speculation, that one of the many reasons JH is gone was his loyalty to Roman.

One of the ceo's kids even called out Roman, yes she's an expert on knowing football, perhaps she could rate an interview.

That's right - he came from Stanford too. I think he's interesting on a HC level.