Head Coach candidate: Hue Jackson

YoloinOhio

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legitimate or Rooney box checker? Not saying he's not qualified, but it's sad that some of these guys just help teams satisfy a bogus requirement.

Nah, if Jackson gets interviewed he is a legit candidate. Rooney Rule is usually used for guys who are up and coming who need to get to know execs, and gain expereince going through the actual interview process, which has been said to be highly involved. This applies to some of the white interviewees we see as well, I believe, although in that case no one questions why they get interviewed. Sometimes a guy like Tomlin wows and actually get the gig. Hue Jackson is beyond that point. He's already been a successful assistant, coordinator, and a fairly successful HC.

Rooney Rule gets a bad rap. I don't think it's ever a bad thing to be able to get in front of people and display one's knowledge and capabilities. Not getting a gig now doesn't mean it won't happen later. But people have to get to know these coaches and what they bring to the table. Musicians have to practice. Athletes have to practice. Accountants have to practice their craft. Coaches are no different. Interviewing for an NFL coaching gig is an involved process. Getting practice doing it is positive.

Edited by purple haze

Not a surprised that Gase and Bevell are favorites on this board over Jackson.

Did Gase work wonders with Manning? Really? Manning might be the last player in NFL history that needs to be "coached up"

Bevell? Flavor of the month. Farve was kind of good without him don't you think? Also, he didn't discover Russell Wilson, thank you. Wilson

carried himself and played like a 10 year vet when he walked into training camp his first year. Look it up.

Jackson is tough, has leadership, is innovative, and maximizes his players performance everywhere he goes. I much prefer him.

Jackson's candidacy reminds me a bit of Arians before he was hired by the Cardinals.

He appears to be able to hold players accountable and can command a team, something some of these other candidates...well... I'd be shocked if they were able to do.

Just my 2 cents.

"I'm tired of people saying that I'm power hungry, that I'm a blowhard, that I'm saying all the wrong things. I never said I wanted to be the general manager. I said I wanted input. What coach wouldn't want some input in the direction of the organization?

Sincerly,

Doug Marrone :lol:

I thought Jackson looked like a promising up-and-coming coach. I do worry a bit about what seemed like a power play after Al Davis died. But if the Pegulas can clearly define a chain of command, I think he showed that he can coach.

I thought Jackson looked like a promising up-and-coming coach. I do worry a bit about what seemed like a power play after Al Davis died. But if the Pegulas can clearly define a chain of command, I think he showed that he can coach.

My take on the Oakland incident is that Hue basically asked for what needed to happen in Oakland, and that is leave football decisions to the football people. Al was more qualified than most, but he bluntly said what others who have failed in Oakland only insinuated.

Maybe he is power hungry. I agree with you that from the outside in he seems like he would play nice with a structure put in place.

Not a surprised that Gase and Bevell are favorites on this board over Jackson.

Did Gase work wonders with Manning? Really? Manning might be the last player in NFL history that needs to be "coached up"

Bevell? Flavor of the month. Farve was kind of good without him don't you think? Also, he didn't discover Russell Wilson, thank you. Wilson

carried himself and played like a 10 year vet when he walked into training camp his first year. Look it up.

Jackson is tough, has leadership, is innovative, and maximizes his players performance everywhere he goes. I much prefer him.

Jackson's candidacy reminds me a bit of Arians before he was hired by the Cardinals.

He appears to be able to hold players accountable and can command a team, something some of these other candidates...well... I'd be shocked if they were able to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Good post! And likening him to Arians is promising. He was my favorite last time we were looking for a coach and he's done well with the Cards.

Edited by Captain_Quint

Totally on board with hiring Hue provided he a) clicks with Whaley & can operate within a clear chain of command and b) strong coordinators/leadership are brought in under him. As Coach Tuesday mentioned above, Hue isn't without fault - his power grab in Oakland left a bit of an off taste in my mouth.

Hue is a big time no from me. But I admit it comes from nothing more than gut reaction to what (little) I've seen from him in the job in the past. For those here who want him, I'd love for you to give me your pitch. What about him makes him a good fit here?

(Honestly curious, not trying to dig in)

Hue is a big time no from me. But I admit it comes from nothing more than gut reaction to what (little) I've seen from him in the job in the past. For those here who want him, I'd love for you to give me your pitch. What about him makes him a good fit here?

(Honestly curious, not trying to dig in)

My pitch is that he is mainly an offensive guy, that has worked with and developed a young Quarterback successfully (Flacco), fits his scheme to what he has, believes in a balanced offense (in both Oakland as OC and now in Cincy he has taken pass happy teams and balanced them out) and has had some experience as a Head Coach in this league. Add to that the fact that he has in his time also coached defense and special teams at an NFL level. I just believe he is one of the smartest football brains in the league. He got the internal politics wrong at Oakland and his defensive hires weren't great, but if you could find a way for him to co-exist with Schwartz I think you have everything you need on the coaching side to have a productive football team.

My pitch is that he is mainly an offensive guy, that has worked with and developed a young Quarterback successfully (Flacco), fits his scheme to what he has, believes in a balanced offense (in both Oakland as OC and now in Cincy he has taken pass happy teams and balanced them out) and has had some experience as a Head Coach in this league. Add to that the fact that he has in his time also coached defense and special teams at an NFL level. I just believe he is one of the smartest football brains in the league. He got the internal politics wrong at Oakland and his defensive hires weren't great, but if you could find a way for him to co-exist with Schwartz I think you have everything you need on the coaching side to have a productive football team.

:beer: Thanks for the time and information.

I don't know enough about the real Hue to have much of an opinion. He seems like he's full of himself, power hungry and is a bully, and we surely don't need that right now. But that may not be true of him, it's just an appearance. He's a pretty good coach.

I assume that it would piss Schwartz off though, because Hue is thought to be a retread guy like Schwartz is, even if he only got that one year and then blew it.

In what way is he better than Kubiak or Shanahan as a proven offensive mind with HC experience? I think he's clearly not on their level as a retread candidate. Balance is fine, but those guys actually bring a running game with them.

Or as an offensive coach compared to Bevel?

Gase and Reich are projections but they don't bring past failures with them.

I don't want a DC as head coach so I will leave them out but I think too often we have had HC hirings that we had to work to justify. I'm not greatly impressed by Jackson's body of work on offense. What we need is a HC who will keep the defensive staff intact and get along with Schwartz and get more from the talent we have on offense. I don't feel good about either of those happening with Jackson.

In what way is he better than Kubiak or Shanahan as a proven offensive mind with HC experience? I think he's clearly not on their level as a retread candidate. Balance is fine, but those guys actually bring a running game with them.

Or as an offensive coach compared to Bevel?

Gase and Reich are projections but they don't bring past failures with them.

I don't want a DC as head coach so I will leave them out but I think too often we have had HC hirings that we had to work to justify. I'm not greatly impressed by Jackson's body of work on offense. What we need is a HC who will keep the defensive staff intact and get along with Schwartz and get more from the talent we have on offense. I don't feel good about either of those happening with Jackson.

Exactly. Sure we want an outstanding coach who will be here 10 years. But right now, and it is not just a stopgap or bandaid, is exactly what you said.

My opinion on Shanahan and Superbowl winning retreads is posted elsewhere so I won't repeat that. I would be equally happy with Kubiak my one question with has always been leadership. He just doesn't strike me as a leader hence I give Jackson the edge.

Bevell I go back and forth on. He is clearly a capable coach but when I watch the Seahawks I am never sure how much of the offense as we see it is design and how much is Wilson's ability to improvise. He is my favourite of the first timers though.

Not very impressed with Hue Jackson's game plan today. He needed to make some adjustments for the playoffs and all I am seeing is same old from regular season. He should have some sets where Bernard and Hill are on the field at the same time. These are two of the best offensive weapons and with AJ Green out, they need offensive weapons on the field.

Exactly. Sure we want an outstanding coach who will be here 10 years. But right now, and it is not just a stopgap or bandaid, is exactly what you said.

I mean you gotta draw a line somewhere. There are lots of "OK" coaches out there. Once you start sniffing around guys like Jackson why aren't you interviewing Mike Shula for chrissake? What's the difference?

Pep Hamilton I don't get either. Maybe he is a genius organizer but the guy has the most potent offensive force in the NFL....Andrew Luck.....and he can't generate a running game? You can only blame your running backs so much when there are teams around the rest of the league that can run the ball with anybody they put in the backfield.

Not very impressed with Hue Jackson's game plan today. He needed to make some adjustments for the playoffs and all I am seeing is same old from regular season. He should have some sets where Bernard and Hill are on the field at the same time. These are two of the best offensive weapons and with AJ Green out, they need offensive weapons on the field.

Agreed this might not be Hue Jackson's finest moment.

But in his defense they are missing:

1. AJ Green- Superstar Receiver---TOP 5 in the NFL

2. Marvin Jones- their 2nd most talented WR

3. Tyler Eifert-talented TE

4- Jerome Gresham- Their starting TE

The best receiver on the field for the Bengals is Sanu and I think he led the NFL in drops this year...he is not very good

and did I mention yet that their QB is Andy freakin Dalton???

Edited by In space no one can hear

Agreed this might not be Hue Jackson's finest moment.

But in his defense they are missing:

1. AJ Green- Superstar Receiver---TOP 5 in the NFL

2. Marvin Jones- their 2nd most talented WR

3. Tyler Eifert-talented TE

4- Jerome Gresham- Their starting TE

The best receiver on the field for the Bengals is Sanu and I think he led the NFL in drops this year...he is not very good

and did I mention yet that their QB is Andy freakin Dalton???

That's why he needed to make adjustments. And the fact they didn't pick up the tempo and go into hurry up mode down 2 scores in the playoffs shows me all I need to see.

That's why he needed to make adjustments. And the fact they didn't pick up the tempo and go into hurry up mode down 2 scores in the playoffs shows me all I need to see.

You wanted him to go into hurry up mode with that lot? Ultimately he came up with a gameplan that was a little conservative but given his lack of weapons and his Quarterback's propensity to lose his team games on his own in the play-offs it made sense. They just didn't make enough plays. Sanu dropped everything thrown his way and that Bengals defense misses Mike Zimmer badly.

You wanted him to go into hurry up mode with that lot? Ultimately he came up with a gameplan that was a little conservative but given his lack of weapons and his Quarterback's propensity to lose his team games on his own in the play-offs it made sense. They just didn't make enough plays. Sanu dropped everything thrown his way and that Bengals defense misses Mike Zimmer badly.

Agreed. Great summary.

Case closed.