Head Coach candidate: Hue Jackson

YoloinOhio

I was impressed when Hue was putting extra O Linemen in the backfield to help block. That was cool. But all the calls for bombs into double coverage with the Rusty Rifle not so much. ESpecially the ones on 3rd and 5.

However 8 - 8 with Raiders is impressive. And he hopefully learned from the Oakland experience.

We're close. We need a veteran QB and a veteran coach.

Still, not sure about Hugh. Would prefer Kubiak or Rex or Jim Mora Jr.

Edited by reddogblitz

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8-8 with a terrible raiders offensive roster,and an ineffective Carson Palmer. Had them in the top 10 in scoring as well. Dudes a legitimate offensive mind.

So legitimate that the Bengals offense has regressed this year.

Edited by Bangarang

So what do you make of this?

I thought his Oakland team was very undisciplined - a lot of penalties. Was that because Hue didn't have ultimate authority under Davis and everyone knew? I don't know. He did get them a good record considering he lost his starting QB and had to fit Carson Palmer in partway through the season, and then lost his star RB.

I have the same concern about Schwartz because I saw the Lions the same way as very undisciplined, a lot of penalties.

It struck me as odd when he said at the end "I think I'm an OK HC and I know I can coach offense". It sounded as if losing the Oak HC gig wounded his confidence in himself.

Here's my big concern. I have heard, from multiple sources, that there's a big jump in the amount of preparation and focus put in by "good" teams vs "championship" teams. When you have a team that is championship, but then falls off, after a while you lose that culture. You lose that knowledge of what championship takes. So how do you bring it back into the building?

Bringing in some players from championship teams helps, obviously. But I think you need people on the coaching staff who know what it takes. I had high hopes for Marrone because of his background working for Sean Payton. He made strides with the team, obviously. But he seems to have learned part of what it takes, and not the whole lesson. Maybe he was in NO too short a time, too long ago. Or maybe his own personality overwhelmed what he might have learned.

So I would like to have a coach who has been on a championship team or teams within the last, say, 4-5 years, so that we have a coach who knows first hand what kind of preparation champions put in at every level.

Is that the right thing to look for? I don't know. Marv Levy was never on a championship team. Harbaugh before the Ravens, no. Maybe you can have a championship personality, driven and detail oriented, but also empathetic and able to reach out and inspire people.

I think what Hue Jackson did with Oakland was memorable. But we don't need to go from miserable to mediocre. Been there done that, lots of t-shirts. We need to go from good to great now.

Mike Silver (NFL.com) is a Hue supporter.

Had a twitter exchange with him last night about Hue.

Mike believes Hue got royally jobbed by Reggie McKenzie and Mark Davis in Oakland and will do well in his next job.

Hue's preferred DC would be Mike Zimmer but since Zimmer is not available Hue would aggressively pursue keeping Schwartz -- likely enhancing his role.

Finally, Mike said Hue feels like there is enough skill position talent on O in Buffalo to work with to get the Offense on the right track but would want competition at the QB spot. Didn't ask about Spiller or the line.

If you haven't read Mike's story on Aaron Rodgers -- its a great one by the way...http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/toastoftitletown/toastoftitletown

I don't like his personality and think he's too full of himself. Despite efforts to tone that down. Not what we need right now. He's a pretty good coach. I think the Bills liked him before the interview. He will get some consideration.

Too full of himself? Go on...

I don't like his personality and think he's too full of himself. Despite efforts to tone that down. Not what we need right now. He's a pretty good coach. I think the Bills liked him before the interview. He will get some consideration.

Sounds like a louder Belichek If he can coach like Bill, I'll take him. Jimmy Johnson wasn't full of himself? He did okay.

Hue is every bit as power hungry and arrogant as Marrone. Just read up in his time in Oakland.

I do like that he has a strong personality. Given that the next HC will report directly to ownership and Hue has never been shy about sharing his opinions Whaley might not like him so much.

We might need a guy like Hue who will stand up to this front office. Hue will not put up with BS

Edited by TheFunPolice

Mike Silver (NFL.com) is a Hue supporter.

Had a twitter exchange with him last night about Hue.

Mike believes Hue got royally jobbed by Reggie McKenzie and Mark Davis in Oakland and will do well in his next job.

Hue's preferred DC would be Mike Zimmer but since Zimmer is not available Hue would aggressively pursue keeping Schwartz -- likely enhancing his role.

Finally, Mike said Hue feels like there is enough skill position talent on O in Buffalo to work with to get the Offense on the right track but would want competition at the QB spot. Didn't ask about Spiller or the line.

If you haven't read Mike's story on Aaron Rodgers -- its a great one by the way...http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/toastoftitletown/toastoftitletown

This all sounds great.

Yeah, Hue kind of got boned in Oakland - obviously his successor Allen did not improve the team and oddly got far more time to try - but one red flag is that his team was the most penalized of all time.

Also of note is that the 2011 Raiders similarly did not have a 1st round pick.