Tim Graham: Marrone spoke to and convinced Polian not to take job

Again everything is all speculation, the only person who I would listen to is Carucci when it comes to Polian.

Same here.

I wonder if TG's source on this was in fact Marrone himself. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if Doug interpreted Polian's decision through that prism...

Local sports (Rochester) tonight said Polians decision came after Orton then Marrone both quit. He thought the consultant job would be "fun" originally, but with no HC or QB the job would require more "heavy lifting" than he was prepared to take on.

So in other words, they read the Buffalo News.

Gotta love news 'organizations' these days...

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

polians old news, its like bringing back levy or wanstach, i like what the coach in san diego did. I like reich, i like new, young coaches who arent idiots, like marrone was at times, And surely Hackett is. New coaches can win in the nfl, we just have to hire a good one. Not a good ole boy of the coaching fraternity like Wade philips was, or how marrone didnt fire hackett or crossman after a horrible year. Screw Marrone, he was a quitter and in it for himself all along. Please can we just get a young guy with a brain this time?!

Marrone left and trashed everything in his path like a punk rock band in a hotel suite. Polian was a fun idea but not a long term position. If he took only Marrone's word after saying yes, then he should stay in broadcasting. Bills are in good shape. Need to hire a coach and figure out who will be the starting QB, Pegula wants a football man to help steer the team to the playoffs. Next month will be interesting.

If true, that is just unreal.

@ByTimGraham:Well-placed source: Polian's decision on Bills shifted in past day. Major factor in change of heart was talking to Marrone, who ripped org.

@ByTimGraham: Everything was lined up for Polian to return to Bills just 24 hours ago. But he is a big fan of Marrone's and trusts his opinion.

If this is true...Good grief...Marrone is going to be the most hated man in the history of WNY...And I'm not saying that because I wanted Polian here again...I did not...But this type of activity is about as classless as it gets...Especially because he's basically bashing the guy that kept the team in Buffalo... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

It is 100% total BS. Go read the feature story in the Buffalo News sports. From Polian's own mouth as told to Vic Carucci. I'll 100% believe that over anything else. Simply had to do with Polian not wanting to make a 5 year commitment to the Bills at his age. Had nothing to do with Marrone bad mouthing the Bills, had zero to do with money. Polian thought it was going to be an advisory role and it turned into a total overhaul. he didn't want to do it so that's that.

True Story!!!

Yep, no wonder why this organization is a joke. Run best QB and coach that have been here in years out of town on a rail. Welp, everybody got what they wanted. Back to the basement we go, and then get to hear the same whiners complain all over again. Yay!!!

Please don't post anymore.

You know, that's an interesting point. It's the Sugar Bowl, BTW.

"...the Pegulas couldn't assure Marrone their organizational changes would be substantial enough for Marrone's liking."

The boss is in the Big Easy scouting and Marrone tries a palace coup. %*@!^#

If anything is clear here, it's that Whaley is far from being "the boss."

I don't really care if this is true, but it doesn't add up. Marrone was worried about the uncertainty of polian coming in, yet they are best friends?

Also, as much as I don't really care for Marrone, it doesn't seem his style to go out of his way to bad mouth the team. I wonder if he just gave his assessment of what we needed and it sounded like too much work for polian.

Yeah, on Twitter Graham referred back to that article. Littman is gone of course, and I don't imagine anyone is protecting Overdorf or Berchtold anymore.

On the other hand, one of the things that Polian commented in his book The Game Plan was how when he came in, there were people in the organization who were all "business as usual" and not committed to winning, and it was a lot of work to replace them and build a total package. If what Polian wanted was an easy consultant gig where all the pieces were in place and he just had to come in and tweak a bit, I can see where news that the Bills organization had devolved pretty much to where it was when he took over....would make him shy away.

I can see where it could be true then, that Marrone had a frank talk with Polian "this is how it is" and Polian said "no thanks" without any trashing or being led around on a leash by Marrone, which is how Graham made it sound.

Frankly I think Tim had too much NYEve cheer and was influencing his journalistic judgement on Twitter etc but maybe I don't follow him enough to know he's always like that

To me, it seems unlikely that Polian would hang his potential future on whatever Marrone was ranting about.

But, if is only reason for joining the team was he thought all the pieces were in place for him to show up and take the credit, maybe.

Theres only 32 of these positions in the entire world. 5 ( off the top my head, I guess six now) available. How ****ty do conditions have to be to cause someone to quit, without certainty to ever get it back again. This is a joke to the players and fans of this team.

Not very sh**ty at all when you get to take $4 million reasons with you and have good PR puffing off a "winning season with no QB" and beating GB to help you down the "inside track" to another gig

Not very sh**ty at all when you get to take $4 million reasons with you and have good PR puffing off a "winning season with no QB" and beating GB to help you down the "inside track" to another gig

True...And Marrone is his own biggest fan...No one is a bigger Doug Marrone fan than Doug Marrone...I'm 100% certain that Marrone is 100% certain he will be sought after big time...We'll see how right or wrong he is very soon... B-)

If anything is clear here, it's that Whaley is far from being "the boss."

In Marrone's eyes, I suppose you're right.

He ran his own show at Syracuse and wanted to do it in Buffalo. Unfortunately, the NFL doesn't work that way. If he thought he could pull rank on a young, inexperienced GM, who he didn't respect, that still wouldn't play well with a more experienced businessman like Pegula.

Edited by Lurker

Reads like TG in damage control mode.

The bit about the OBD "lifers" doesn't ring true as we're now in the post-Ralph world, where they no longer have air cover. The Jim Overdorf's and Bud Carpenter's of the world will soon be gone, just like Littman.

"Polian would need to coordinate a coaching search in addition to find a new quarterback and maybe reorganize the scouting department." Where's Whaley... off getting coffee or polishing cleets?

Sorry, still not buying it.

The lifer comment was from a February story. It was accurate at the time. Those criticizing the piece for suggesting that it helped drive Polian away are missing the point -- that a guy who the Bills gave his first NFL head coaching job and a generous contract with a nice opt out feature felt it was ok to rip his generous employers on the way out the door.

The lifer comment was from a February story. It was accurate at the time. Those criticizing the piece for suggesting that it helped drive Polian away are missing the point -- that a guy who the Bills gave his first NFL head coaching job and a generous contract with a nice opt out feature felt it was ok to rip his generous employers on the way out the door.

Agree 100%... B-)

The lifer comment was from a February story. It was accurate at the time.

Agreed. Which is why it makes no sense for TG to include it in today's story....that factor was no longer in play with the ownership change.

Edited by Lurker

Agreed. Which is why it makes no sense for TG to include it in today's story....that factor was no longer in play with the ownership change.

I think Graham named three guys as lifers, in addition to the trainers comment. They were Littman, Overdorf and Bertchold. Two are still there. Hopefully both will be gone.

I am guessing the culture will now change for sure. Wonder what Marrone said to BP maybe it was the truth!!! I Don't know what was said, BP knows what was said! Truth or not made him run like hell just like Marrone an OB KO and probley more to follow Hughs will not be back and Darious gonna run to I bet. Everybody's gonna jump ship. Maybe some fan base to..

Please post more. This was excellent. I keep reading this message as if it were song lyrics and I can't stop giggling.

I don't know what is really going on behind the scenes but if what Polian said was the reason(s) why he didn't come aboard then I feel a little bit betrayed. The franchise is in a very vulnerable position and he doesn't want to be a part of the solution??! It's not like Ralph is around and would handle anything, right or wrong, that would come up. We got a brand new owner with no NFL experience or know how to face the adversaries that are facing us. I wouldn't want to be a teammate to a guy that would run and hide because there was too much "heavy lifting" to be done. I'm very disappointed to say the least by this philosophy. I have always been appreciative to Polian for all that he accomplished with this franchise but for him to say the things that he said I don't feel that he is a true Buffalo guy. By his own admission he said that that Pegula treated him with the utmost respect and as far as the money goes I can't imagine that ESPN is paying him more than he would of gotten from the Bills. Anyways we don't need him, either you're for us or you're against us. From what I'm hearing and reading I don't think that I can ever feel the same about Polian unless something else comes to the surface and justify why he wouldn't be all in for this franchise. At this time I have lost a lot of interest in his upcoming induction to the HOF. Like what Tim Russert would often refer to as a Bills' fan, you can knock us down but we're gonna get back up. A true Bills' fan doesn't abandon you, they stay loyal through thick or through thin, just ask Scott Norwood. In his darkest day as a player this fanbase embraced him because that's the way it's suppose to be. As of now I feel abandoned. I wonder what Tim would think and say about all this if he was still around.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Through-generations-of-Russerts-Bills-legacy-lives-on/e874ca71-f3b9-43a4-9a4d-7e4f79273bd3

polians old news, its like bringing back levy or wanstach, i like what the coach in san diego did. I like reich, i like new, young coaches who arent idiots, like marrone was at times, And surely Hackett is. New coaches can win in the nfl, we just have to hire a good one. Not a good ole boy of the coaching fraternity like Wade philips was, or how marrone didnt fire hackett or crossman after a horrible year. Screw Marrone, he was a quitter and in it for himself all along. Please can we just get a young guy with a brain this time?!

Hackett-the "old boy". This thread is pure comedy.

Edited by 3rdnlng

Polian turned his back on being a 72 year old executive who had a lot of work to do to build a team for the future.

Polian thought the Bills were in good shape with Orton and Marrone (this alone is a red flag!). Once they left, he didn't want to do all the work involved in building a team. That's all he said. Who cares? I'd rather have a guy who will be around for a while. Polian at best was going to be president for 4 years. Who needs that?

Edited by John Adams

Polian turned his back on being a 72 year old executive who had a lot of work to do to build a team for the future.

Polian thought the Bills were in good shape with Orton and Marrone (this alone is a red flag!). Once they left, he didn't want to do all the work involved in building a team. That's all he said. Who cares? I'd rather have a guy who will be around for a while. Polian at best was going to be president for 4 years. Who needs that?

The fact that Bill Polian thought the Bills were okay with Marrone and Kyle Orton should AUTOMATICALLY disqualify him for the job

Consider yourself lucky :worthy:

Marrone probably relayed the fact that he wanted changes to the players on the O line and was denied by the Bills FO who told him players like Kraig Urbik was a fine OG. That there is a certain amount of dysfunction with the HC & GM reporting to the finance / marketing guy. A definite distance between what the GM obtained for the offense, and what the HC & OC wanted to utilize. Trading away Stevie Johnson, and trading for Bryce Brown, Mike Williams

That the team has no viable QB, no first round pick to obtain a QB, no viable HC. An O line that needs to be rebuilt with at least two starting OG's, and backups. This wasn't a simple advisory job anymore, as now its a difficult full time job.

The man is old now, and has already built the Bills, Colts into super bowl teams, and built the Panthers into a playoff team in three years. He has nothing to prove and is currently awaiting his nomination to the Hall of Fame.

There are smarter, younger, more energetic men out there to be the new team president of football operations. I have complete faith the Pegula's will find the right man for the job.

Marrone probably relayed the fact that he wanted changes to the players on the O line and was denied by the Bills FO who told him players like Kraig Urbik was a fine OG. That there is a certain amount of dysfunction with the HC & GM reporting to the finance / marketing guy. A definite distance between what the GM obtained for the offense, and what the HC & OC wanted to utilize. Trading away Stevie Johnson, and trading for Bryce Brown, Mike Williams

That the team has no viable QB, no first round pick to obtain a QB, no viable HC. An O line that needs to be rebuilt with at least two starting OG's, and backups. This wasn't a simple advisory job anymore, as now its a difficult full time job.

The man is old now, and has already built the Bills, Colts into super bowl teams, and built the Panthers into a playoff team in three years. He has nothing to prove and is currently awaiting his nomination to the Hall of Fame.

There are smarter, younger, more energetic men out there to be the new team president of football operations. I have complete faith the Pegula's will find the right man for the job.

72 is not old for a NFL GM. 5 years would be nothing for him

I wanted a totally unbiased outsider to come into the job so Pollan not accepting the position doesn't bother me. In fact I'm glad he declined. Bringing in Polian was exactly like TP's yesterday's hero's approach with the Sabres. It forces ownership to go outside their comfort zone and do something else, something that might be more effective.

There's also talk that Marrone 'convinced' Polian not to take the job which is neither confirmed or denied. If Bill needs Doug to tell him that then strike two I don't want him. Most likely after looking at the position he just wasn't interested in coming back and putting in the time. You don't need to be a genius to see some obvious issues with the Bills.

You have a coach and GM that aren't on the same page with personnel or systems.

You have an OC that is not NFL competent at calling and game planning at this level and a HC that has a personal relationship clouding his judgment here.

You have an offense that has regressed in the two years under Marrone, an alledged offensive guy.

You have a defense that is playing at a championship level pretty much on auto-pilot with two different DC's in 2 years. (an observation and not a problem)

You don't have an identified starter at QB going into 2015.

You have Ralph's old guard cronies still embedded in the organization after 3 months of new ownership.

You have a new owner who should have brought in his advisors the Monday after the NFL approved his bid so they could observe the workings of the organization during the course of the season, not after it is over..

The hard part isn't figuring out what's wrong but rather what to do to fix it but Marrone leaving makes solving the first 3 easier. Polian was not the guy I wanted doing this.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Polian's always been about getting his son a GM job. That is his total M.O. I am sure he made it part of the deal and Pegs said no. And that was that.

I don't know what is really going on behind the scenes but if what Polian said was the reason(s) why he didn't come aboard then I feel a little bit betrayed. The franchise is in a very vulnerable position and he doesn't want to be a part of the solution??! (...) I wouldn't want to be a teammate to a guy that would run and hide because there was too much "heavy lifting" to be done. I'm very disappointed to say the least by this philosophy. I have always been appreciative to Polian for all that he accomplished with this franchise but for him to say the things that he said I don't feel that he is a true Buffalo guy.

http://www.buffalobi...4d-7e4f79273bd3

Polian is 72. If he doesn't feel "fire in the belly" at the thought of going "all in" and having to actually dig deep and solve problems, he didn't betray us by turning Pegula down. He would have betrayed us by taking it, but only for the short term and with limitations on the time and energy he wanted to invest.

Hopefully he said more to Pegula than is on the record such as advice on how to really remodel the FO to achieve a strong supporting team.

I think you should enjoy the memory of what Polian achieved here as a younger man and be glad it wasn't tarnished by his coming in and doing a half-assed job

Having a consultant/czar is the new thing apparently but overrated to me. If Pegula wants to name a team president that's fine but either let Whaley do his job and sign a coach or get another GM. I prefer Whaley to stay but I guess we have to wait and see.

Having a consultant/czar is the new thing apparently but overrated to me. If Pegula wants to name a team president that's fine but either let Whaley do his job and sign a coach or get another GM. I prefer Whaley to stay but I guess we have to wait and see.

i think the czar is being brought in to help the Pegulas understand how to run a football team, not necessarily to undermine Whaley. Whaley would still be doing his job. The czar would be analyzing the organizational structure and making recommendations. If there was a HC or GM opening they would help with the search. I don't think polian wanted to immediately be accountable for hiring the Bills next HC. That is much more visible to the public they advising on, say, the design of the college scouting dept.

i think the czar is being brought in to help the Pegulas understand how to run a football team, not necessarily to undermine Whaley. Whaley would still be doing his job. The czar would be analyzing the organizational structure and making recommendations. If there was a HC or GM opening they would help with the search. I don't think polian wanted to immediately be accountable for hiring the Bills next HC. That is much more visible to the public they advising on, say, the design of the college scouting dept.

This is exactly right.

I wanted a totally unbiased outsider to come into the job so Pollan not accepting the position doesn't bother me. In fact I'm glad he declined. Bringing in Polian was exactly like TP's yesterday's hero's approach with the Sabres. It forces ownership to go outside their comfort zone and do something else, something that might be more effective.

There's also talk that Marrone 'convinced' Polian not to take the job which is neither confirmed or denied. If Bill needs Doug to tell him that then strike two I don't want him. Most likely after looking at the position he just wasn't interested in coming back and putting in the time. You don't need to be a genius to see some obvious issues with the Bills.

You have a coach and GM that aren't on the same page with personnel or systems.

You have an OC that is not NFL competent at calling and game planning at this level and a HC that has a personal relationship clouding his judgment here.

You have an offense that has regressed in the two years under Marrone, an alledged offensive guy.

You have a defense that is playing at a championship level pretty much on auto-pilot with two different DC's in 2 years. (an observation and not a problem)

You don't have an identified starter at QB going into 2015.

You have Ralph's old guard cronies still embedded in the organization after 3 months of new ownership.

You have a new owner who should have brought in his advisors the Monday after the NFL approved his bid so they could observe the workings of the organization during the course of the season, not after it is over..

The hard part isn't figuring out what's wrong but rather what to do to fix it but Marrone leaving makes solving the first 3 easier. Polian was not the guy I wanted doing this.

one of the most insightful posts i've read here.

i would add this conjecture, however: polian may still agree to give some friendly, side bar advice to pegula on some big personnel issues.