Tim Graham: Marrone spoke to and convinced Polian not to take job

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is "**** Marrone!" So, he was really bothered by the Buffalo media, combative with players such as Jerry Hughes as well as combative with Bills GM Doug Whaley, then on his way out trashes the organization. This guy has a lot of issues and shouldn't be a HC in the NFL if he is going to act that way (sounds like he'll fit in with the Jets).

I'm convinced. Marrone HATED the Watkins trade.

Do we have any recollection of Marrone commenting on the trade itself? Was he ever asked by the media? He's the head freaking coach. I don't recall him ever being asked how he felt about it. Did he feel Russ/Whaley didn't take or value his opinion on it? His future here was staked to the trade also. I've looked for comments from Marrone and found nothing.

Willing to bet this is where it all went downhill.

It's the only thing that makes sense to me. As far as where it went bad. And maybe Whaley didn't like how he was using him either.

Marrone played him through those preseason games as if he was a mid tier rookie fighting for a job. He made some comment (or Hackett did) about not wanting to 'feature' one guy in the offense. It was bizarre at the time....like maybe it was the answer they kept giving Whaley on how they were using him.

I've always gone by the adage "when people show you who they are, believe them."

Marrone's rep v. El Pegual's rep?

Good luck Jets

I think a lot of this BS is coming from Adam Scheffters agent being the same as Doug Marrone's agent. Our local guy Graham isn't smart enough to understand what's going on.

Madrone showing his true colors. He's a whiny B word and a cancer. This won't sit well with prospective teams. Terry Pegula issued a very cordial statement we appreciated his efforts...and this is how Marrone says thanks for $4 million?? By shitting on the organization. Thanks Doug. You're a cancer.

Timmy isn't the Gospel.

Marrone was not confident in Manuel, which is why he switched to Orton and was not going back to Manuel under any circumstances. Once Orton decided to retire, Marrone knew how bad Manuel is and decided he didn't want to go on trying to coach the team when he had no viable answer at QB.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Again I ask - is it too much to expect any kind of statement from Marrone?? He just looks shady by not thanking the Bills, his staff,the players, fan base??

Did I miss it? I mean Harbaugh hated everything about the Niners FO and even he had a classy exit!

Edited by YoloinOhio

I can't even speculate right now about wtf will happen...but I will say I am kind of excited about this whole scenario. I thought Marrone did an adequate job, but how they used Sammy tells me we would have been frustrated through 2015.

Marrone has a huge ego and when it wasn't clear Pegula was going to get rid of Whaley and give Dougie a huge pat on the back he decided to leave. The Jets ownership and GM are awful so good luck with that.

I am glad we didn't end up with Polian as he'd get his son involved who is supposed to be a real idiot. Can anyone say the Colts made a mistake getting rid of the Polians when they did? I'm hoping we get Dungy and/or Cowher in here.

I keep reading posts around here about "dysfunction" going forward. I see it just the opposite. To my mind, getting rid of Marrone lowers the level of dysfunction about 99%. And if it's true that Polian turned down a job (and it has never been confirmed that he was offered the job) based on Marrone bad-mouthing the team, then that shows evidence of grand stupidity on Polian's part, so thank you, St. Doug, for derailing that retro plan.

I think the Bills are much better off today than they were last week.

Edited by yungmack

It's a small league St. Doug. If you think that this is good for your career you are about as intelligent as I thought you were. While you were a decent HC & a good motivator, you were never the sharpest knife in the drawer. "Obviously" this isn't a good decision for your future.

How many times were we told he's smart and wouldn't do something dumb out of spite or reasons outside of "best for the team"?

Edited by NoSaint

I keep reading posts around here about "dysfunction" going forward. I see it just the opposite. To my mind, getting rid of Marrone lowers the level of dysfunction about 99%. And if it's true that Polian turned down a job (and it has never been confirmed that he was offered the job) based on Marrone bad-mouthing the team, then that shows evidence of grand stupidity on Polian's part, so thank you, St. Doug, for derailed that retro plan.

I totally agree. To me we have an owner that is not going to be bullied, the GM I wanted, and an opening for a new offensive minded coach and staff and still have Schwartz and our defense. So far it's been great. We lost, maybe, an old favorite who was going to just come in and advise. No great shake.

How many times were we told he's smart and wouldn't do something dumb out of spite or reasons outside of "best for the team"?

Exactly. Now it seems like those fears were true. Makes me believe even more that he held grudges. It makes a lot of stuff make a lot more sense. He wasn't a bad coach, he was a stubborn arrogant prick.

I'm convinced. Marrone HATED the Watkins trade.

Do we have any recollection of Marrone commenting on the trade itself? Was he ever asked by the media? He's the head freaking coach. I don't recall him ever being asked how he felt about it. Did he feel Russ/Whaley didn't take or value his opinion on it? His future here was staked to the trade also. I've looked for comments from Marrone and found nothing.

Willing to bet this is where it all went downhill.

It's the only thing that makes sense to me. As far as where it went bad. And maybe Whaley didn't like how he was using him either.

Marrone played him through those preseason games as if he was a mid tier rookie fighting for a job. He made some comment (or Hackett did) about not wanting to 'feature' one guy in the offense. It was bizarre at the time....like maybe it was the answer they kept giving Whaley on how they were using him.

I think that this off season marrone decided he wanted to make a left turn without working with whaley. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a piece of the problem though I gavent heard it directly in any way.

I totally agree. To me we have an owner that is not going to be bullied, the GM I wanted, and an opening for a new offensive minded coach and staff and still have Schwartz and our defense. So far it's been great. We lost, maybe, an old favorite who was going to just come in and advise. No great shake.

Exactly. Now it seems like those fears were true. Makes me believe even more that he held grudges. It makes a lot of stuff make a lot more sense. He wasn't a bad coach, he was a stubborn arrogant prick.

Usually the most obvious answer is the best one. Not always, but usually.

If you accept that premise, everything that happened makes total sense. Whaley and Marrone were not arguing over what to order for lunch at St. John Fisher

Edited by TheFunPolice

Usually the most obvious answer is the best one. Not always, but usually.

If you accept that premise, everything that happened makes total sense. Whaley and Marrone were not arguing over what to order for lunch at St. John Fisher

Better yet, if that train of thought is correct then Marrone succeeded in one thing, getting the organisations mindset set to winning.

I keep reading posts around here about "dysfunction" going forward. I see it just the opposite. To my mind, getting rid of Marrone lowers the level of dysfunction about 99%. And if it's true that Polian turned down a job (and it has never been confirmed that he was offered the job) based on Marrone bad-mouthing the team, then that shows evidence of grand stupidity on Polian's part, so thank you, St. Doug, for derailed that retro plan.

IIRC, there was never even an officiall conversation.

Too many, iff you ask me. And paired with how frequently we were told Marrone was a respectedd, loyal guy, something doesn't smell right. Add in the season-long reports that "noboddy's job was safe," the behind the scenes reports that tensions at OBD were at a constant high, and this just feels like a mess.

I think Terry and Kim made it clear the nuclear option was coming.

You always hope your guy isn't THAT guy.... But there were a lot of reasons to worry about him. It's a shame that it's looking like he is THAT guy....

IIRC, there was never even an officiall conversation.

Too many, iff you ask me. And paired with how frequently we were told Marrone was a respectedd, loyal guy, something doesn't smell right. Add in the season-long reports that "noboddy's job was safe," the behind the scenes reports that tensions at OBD were at a constant high, and this just feels like a mess.

I think Terry and Kim made it clear the nuclear option was coming.

He's loyal to HIS guys- and thinks incredibly highly of himself. Couldn't be as simple as "we deserve this, how dare anyone question us?"

We hear polian loves marrone, pegs wants polian- why assume pegs is ditching marrone?

Edited by NoSaint

Marrone was just denied an extension by the Pegulas and chose to walk away. Does anyone think he spoke well of them or the organization behind closed doors? How about the GM he had a horrible relationship with? Polian knew he'd be hearing a lot of negatives from Marrone when he talked to him. There might have been some specifics that concerned him, but I have trouble understanding what new information he could have gleaned. Marrone hasn't worked with the Pegulas long and any negatives about them have to be taken with a grain of salt. He'd be replacing the GM and would be in position to hire and fire those below him as he saw fit. Maybe he told him the scouting department and coaching staffs would be total tear downs and rebuilds, but that's not to be unexpected either. I am really not sure what Marrone could have said that would have dissuaded Polian if his heart was in it.

Edited by BarleyNY

The defense and STs should return intact, and they carried the team. Orton sucked and was gone anyway. And despite Marrone being an offensive minded coach, the offense sucked. Not much has changed other than a nothing special HC and a bunch of bad offensive coaches are gone, and Polian decided not to take the newly-created title of consultant. Get a good HC and offensive assistants and this all turns out to be addition by subtraction.