Tim Graham: Marrone spoke to and convinced Polian not to take job

The fact that Bill Polian thought the Bills were okay with Marrone and Kyle Orton should AUTOMATICALLY disqualify him for the job

Consider yourself lucky :worthy:

I opened this thread to make that exact point. Thanks for sparing me the trouble.

Bills fans: the 21st century is your friend.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted a totally unbiased outsider to come into the job so Pollan not accepting the position doesn't bother me. In fact I'm glad he declined. Bringing in Polian was exactly like TP's yesterday's hero's approach with the Sabres. It forces ownership to go outside their comfort zone and do something else, something that might be more effective.

There's also talk that Marrone 'convinced' Polian not to take the job which is neither confirmed or denied. If Bill needs Doug to tell him that then strike two I don't want him. Most likely after looking at the position he just wasn't interested in coming back and putting in the time. You don't need to be a genius to see some obvious issues with the Bills.

You have a coach and GM that aren't on the same page with personnel or systems.

You have an OC that is not NFL competent at calling and game planning at this level and a HC that has a personal relationship clouding his judgment here.

You have an offense that has regressed in the two years under Marrone, an alledged offensive guy.

You have a defense that is playing at a championship level pretty much on auto-pilot with two different DC's in 2 years. (an observation and not a problem)

You don't have an identified starter at QB going into 2015.

You have Ralph's old guard cronies still embedded in the organization after 3 months of new ownership.

You have a new owner who should have brought in his advisors the Monday after the NFL approved his bid so they could observe the workings of the organization during the course of the season, not after it is over..

The hard part isn't figuring out what's wrong but rather what to do to fix it but Marrone leaving makes solving the first 3 easier. Polian was not the guy I wanted doing this.

Good post. Only point where I disagree is the D playing at a championship level under Pettine last year. They were showy (lots of sacks), but they gave up the big play and were soft, way too soft, against the run. Not impressed with Pettine.

I think Marrone was so paranoid that bringing in observers during the season would have blown the organization up, but that's just my unsubstantiated opinion.

I don't know what is really going on behind the scenes but if what Polian said was the reason(s) why he didn't come aboard then I feel a little bit betrayed. The franchise is in a very vulnerable position and he doesn't want to be a part of the solution??! It's not like Ralph is around and would handle anything, right or wrong, that would come up. We got a brand new owner with no NFL experience or know how to face the adversaries that are facing us. I wouldn't want to be a teammate to a guy that would run and hide because there was too much "heavy lifting" to be done. I'm very disappointed to say the least by this philosophy. I have always been appreciative to Polian for all that he accomplished with this franchise but for him to say the things that he said I don't feel that he is a true Buffalo guy. By his own admission he said that that Pegula treated him with the utmost respect and as far as the money goes I can't imagine that ESPN is paying him more than he would of gotten from the Bills. Anyways we don't need him, either you're for us or you're against us. From what I'm hearing and reading I don't think that I can ever feel the same about Polian unless something else comes to the surface and justify why he wouldn't be all in for this franchise. At this time I have lost a lot of interest in his upcoming induction to the HOF. Like what Tim Russert would often refer to as a Bills' fan, you can knock us down but we're gonna get back up. A true Bills' fan doesn't abandon you, they stay loyal through thick or through thin, just ask Scott Norwood. In his darkest day as a player this fanbase embraced him because that's the way it's suppose to be. As of now I feel abandoned. I wonder what Tim would think and say about all this if he was still around.

http://www.buffalobi...4d-7e4f79273bd3

Don't feel betrayed. I'm ecstatic that he isn't coming back. The NFL has come and passed him by. His last drafts he was involved in are some of the worst draft classes ever. He still tries to build on potential rather than character and plays the game like it's 1984.

Glad he isn't coming. Looking forward to the future!!!

i think the czar is being brought in to help the Pegulas understand how to run a football team, not necessarily to undermine Whaley. Whaley would still be doing his job. The czar would be analyzing the organizational structure and making recommendations. If there was a HC or GM opening they would help with the search. I don't think polian wanted to immediately be accountable for hiring the Bills next HC. That is much more visible to the public they advising on, say, the design of the college scouting dept.

Agree but Polian would be there for advice but Whaley would still be doing most of the work. Not sure why Polian would think it would all be on him.

You have a new owner who should have brought in his advisors the Monday after the NFL approved his bid so they could observe the workings of the organization during the course of the season, not after it is over..

This is a big problem. It seems a little harsh to question if the Pegulas are "competent." but I would have thought to do this....especially in the aftermath of the Darcy/Lindy debacle. That they didn't makes me think things could get worse before they get better.

Now what? We have WHALEY picking our next coach? I hope he's better at picking coaches than he is picking 1st & 2nd rounders. What was the point of bringing Polian in if you're going to leave Whaley in charge? Not that they really have time to worry about it... :(

Good post. Only point where I disagree is the D playing at a championship level under Pettine last year. They were showy (lots of sacks), but they gave up the big play and were soft, way too soft, against the run. Not impressed with Pettine.

I think Marrone was so paranoid that bringing in observers during the season would have blown the organization up, but that's just my unsubstantiated opinion.

good post, BTW every single post and rumor at this point is unsubstantiated. So no harm there. On Polian though, it is time for fans to think that the magic of the superbowl era can be re-created with a now 72 year old commentator. if that was the plan we should have brought in Joe D. As a O-line coach I am sure he would have been better than what we had. i hope Maroon poaches the offensive staff completely.

This is a lot of drama generated by the press.

So Marrone might have talked to Polian. Big deal. And if the discussion convinced Polian not to take the Bills gig so what? If so, he was never the right guy for the job because to evaluate a situation you need to come into it with an unbiased view. If he 'took' Marrone's side then he isn't suited for the job, period. So if this is the case he did the Bills a favor. Fact is Polian wasn't the right guy for the job anyway, you need somebody with expertise that doesn't have any connection or allegence to anyone involved. A person that will be completely loyal to the owner. Pegula needs to look forward like he finally did with the Sabres by hiring Murray, not back to the past.

And if Marrone was truly bad-mouthing his previous employer, whom he just left while pocketing $4M in severence, he isn't so smart. Bad mouthing a previous employer is a serious no-no issue when it comes to interviewing for a new job. IIn addition, if his contract had non-disclosure and non-defamation clauses he could be putting his severence in jeopardy by shooting off his mouth and making negative comments about the organization. Pegula's statement on Marrone leaving was polite and professional. Translated - "Thanks and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out".

In the end I think we'll come out smelling like roses here with a better HC and higher quality staff with some positive changes in the front office along with a clearer organization structure.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

This is a big problem. It seems a little harsh to question if the Pegulas are "competent." but I would have thought to do this....especially in the aftermath of the Darcy/Lindy debacle. That they didn't makes me think things could get worse before they get better.

Now what? We have WHALEY picking our next coach? I hope he's better at picking coaches than he is picking 1st & 2nd rounders. What was the point of bringing Polian in if you're going to leave Whaley in charge? Not that they really have time to worry about it... :(

The idea was to make Polian-- or someone-- be the same thing on the football side as Brandon NOW is to the business side. Notwithstanding whether you agree with such a structure, that is what they have in mind. Pretty simple.

I understand Polian's position. He didn't want to get into the heavy lifting at 72. Do all of you plan to work 60-70 hrs a week at age 72, when you can do hits one night a week, and be an analyst part time on ESPN, and get into the HOF.

There are a lot of people IMO are way too harsh on Polian. I don't think poorly of him, but rather at least he had the character to know it would take the time commitment and length of time to recreate a powerhouse like he did 25 years ago. Who the hell wants to work full time plus until your 80 years old? I think he's smart, and actually cares about the Bills because he'd rather have the Pegulas make the right hire of a President who can be here for the next 10 years. I wouldn't doubt behind the scenes he may provide counsel to the Pegulas to make sound decisions.

I know I'm the minority on this thread, and not trying to be oppositional, I just respect his decision, and hope the Pegulas make the right calls moving forward.

The most unfortunate part of the Polian thing is that it makes the franchise look bad immediately after the Marrone debacle. I know that this was not Polian's intention, and the reality is that he is not at the right point of this career to undertake a "heavy lift" with the Bills. For the sake of the future and continuity, the Bills may be better off with a football architect who will be around for the long term with the energy and desire to last.

All Polian is saying is that he doesn't feel he is really the right guy for this job. Taking him at his word, that's actually a good thing.

The Marv Levy hire wasn't all that long ago. Marv agreed, as a personal favor to Ralph, to come in and do some feather dusting for a couple years when the place needed renovation.

Buddy Nix was another throwback to the glory days and he ran out of gas as well.

How many years has the franchise been set back with hiring tired, familiar faces from the 80s and 90s?

I understand Polian's position. He didn't want to get into the heavy lifting at 72. Do all of you plan to work 60-70 hrs a week at age 72, when you can do hits one night a week, and be an analyst part time on ESPN, and get into the HOF.

There are a lot of people IMO are way too harsh on Polian. I don't think poorly of him, but rather at least he had the character to know it would take the time commitment and length of time to recreate a powerhouse like he did 25 years ago. Who the hell wants to work full time plus until your 80 years old? I think he's smart, and actually cares about the Bills because he'd rather have the Pegulas make the right hire of a President who can be here for the next 10 years. I wouldn't doubt behind the scenes he may provide counsel to the Pegulas to make sound decisions.

I know I'm the minority on this thread, and not trying to be oppositional, I just respect his decision, and hope the Pegulas make the right calls moving forward.

I think the only reason people are harsh is that it's been reported that he changed his mind because of a call from Marrone trashing the organization, because Polian really respects Marrone's opinion. Since Marrone....I mean Bobbie Sue....just "took the money and run"....it lowers our collective opinions of Polian to think that he would care more for Bobbie Sue than for the Bills. But we have to realize we only have the word of a press hack that 1) Marrone trashed the organization to Polian 2) that was the deciding factor in Polian's change of mind.

Everything public from Polian has been reasonable and classy - it's quite reasonable that a 72 yr old would not want to leave a cushy and well-paid media job to toil in the trenches, or would see it as too much work. And Polian could well have said "I respect his opinion" in the same way we would say "I respect your opinion...." to a guy we're disagreeing with on TSW, but still have been influenced by it as in "wow, what was I thinking, this is no cushy sinecure, it's hard work, what was I even thinking?"

The most unfortunate part of the Polian thing is that it makes the franchise look bad immediately after the Marrone debacle. I know that this was not Polian's intention, and the reality is that he is not at the right point of this career to undertake a "heavy lift" with the Bills. For the sake of the future and continuity, the Bills may be better off with a football architect who will be around for the long term with the energy and desire to last.

This. Good post. But to be fair, I think the media are looking for ways to make the franchise look bad and if it weren't Polian, they would come up with something else...rehashing the sideline fight with Whaley, puffing up FO dissent and the influence of "lifers" etc etc.

To be honest I'm glad Polian decided not to come and I really don't care how it happened...I mean...Even if Marrone did call Polian and bash the organization it's not like I can hate Marrone more than I already did...I never really liked the guy...But as far as Polian is concerned I'll take blind luck any day...And I think if in fact the Bills were pursuing Polian it's some pretty decent blind luck that he eventually declined...With all due respect to Polian, who is certainly a HOF candidate, he's also a 72 year old man who went on record saying Marrone should be a Coach of the year candidate...Coach of the freaking year!!! That's all I needed to hear to understand I don't want Bill Polian anywhere close to this Organization in a decision making role...He'd just bring in a re-tread, Dungy type anyway...I want to move forward...Not further in to the dark ages of Lombardi wannabee's who still think you can win with 3.5 yards and a cloud of dust...

Thanks for the memories Bill...And thanks for turning the job down... :thumbsup:

I think we almost had another lafontaine situation. Polian was probably under the impression he could come in and be the president but really the gm. He would choose the head coach and then lead the draft selection etc. I believe that Marrone was given the option to opt out but was really told he was getting canned. Polian seems to love Marrone for some crazy reason and realized that he would not have the power he thought he would if he came in. Lala thought he was going to be able to override Murray and when he couldn't he left. Whaley is in charge of the team and the staff ultimately and that's how it should be. We're headed in the right direction.

All Polian is saying is that he doesn't feel he is really the right guy for this job. Taking him at his word, that's actually a good thing.

The Marv Levy hire wasn't all that long ago. Marv agreed, as a personal favor to Ralph, to come in and do some feather dusting for a couple years when the place needed renovation.

Buddy Nix was another throwback to the glory days and he ran out of gas as well.

How many years has the franchise been set back with hiring tired, familiar faces from the 80s and 90s?

Yes. Polian clearly thought it would be a cushy, "feather dusting" sort of job with an established HC and a veteran QB. As soon as he realized it would involve actual heavy lifting he opted out.

What I don't understand is why Marrone would feel a need to bash the Bills to Polian (if, as reported, that is what occurred). I'm much more disappointed in Marrone for not simply exiting quietly with his 4M and wishing the Bills well -- even if he couldn't get along with Whaley or didn't trust the Pegulas.

When stories like this come out one should ask themselves "who benefits from the spin on this?" Why claim to know the mind of Bill Polian assuming that Bill is not the source? It makes Marrone look connected and influential. It makes it seem like Marrone is sensibily leaving a badly structured organization. Say the conversation actually happened. Who benefits most from this spin? I'd say Marrone or his agent. I think agents are the source for most of these type of stories. It's all an attempt to manipulate the conversation to create more potential suitors and bigger and better deals.

Hollywood gossip NFL style.

Things I've learned in the past two days:

1) Jimmy Sexton absolutely OWNS a number of influential reporters. I mean, he can feed them anything he wants knowing they'll run with it.

2) The Pegulas, OTOH, do not have a well-oiled press machine. They should work on that.

3) Doug Whaley may not be going anywhere, but he doesn't appear to exactly have the complete confidence of the owners, either.

4) Bill Polian is an old guy looking for an easy check. Nothing wrong with that - he's earned a sinecure. It's just not what the Pegulas need right now.

5) Given (3) above, it's a little disconcerting that the Bills are interviewing HC candidates. Who's doing the interviewing? Are the Pegulas trusting Whaley more than it appears? If so, that's fine - I have no problem with Whaley - but it seems flighty to be planning to subordinate him to Polian on Tuesday, only to have him heading an HC search on Saturday.

6) It would be extremely useful to hear directly from SOMEONE in authority at this point, to clarify who's making decisions on the HC search. Be it Terry/Kim, Brandon, or Whaley, someone needs to publicly clear the air so as to dispel the notion that OBD is the tire fire that Sexton and Marrone would like folks to believe it is.

7) Doug Marrone is a colossal sh*tstain, and there is no one I more want to see fail in football at any level.

Edited by Maguire's Beer