Tim Graham: Marrone spoke to and convinced Polian not to take job

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes sense. Polian was given a chance to tweak the organization and move them into the playoffs and lay the ground work for the future. In a short order the team loses its starting QB and the head coach quits. The metric changes and Polian knows that is will require more intense work and at his age he does not need the aggravation. Totally makes sense to me that he said "no thanks" to Mr. Pegula

Russ was/is one of Ralph's stooges, along with Littman. I'm sure JL has given him advice re: Polian.

And Bill is on record saying he loved Ralph and, in many ways, was resposible for his own downfall with the Bills.

It's a big stretch to say a guy who worked for Ralph a decade after Polian's departure was an impediment, IMO...

This whole thing makes them sound like a bunch of 7th grade girls. If polian really wanted the role after Marrone opted out, he'd have taken it, regardless of who wrote nasty things about him in their slam book. Jmo.

He would have been tasked with recommending change anyway and if he wanted someone out, he could have made that happen.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I understand Polian's position. He didn't want to get into the heavy lifting at 72. Do all of you plan to work 60-70 hrs a week at age 72, when you can do hits one night a week, and be an analyst part time on ESPN, and get into the HOF.

There are a lot of people IMO are way too harsh on Polian. I don't think poorly of him, but rather at least he had the character to know it would take the time commitment and length of time to recreate a powerhouse like he did 25 years ago. Who the hell wants to work full time plus until your 80 years old? I think he's smart, and actually cares about the Bills because he'd rather have the Pegulas make the right hire of a President who can be here for the next 10 years. I wouldn't doubt behind the scenes he may provide counsel to the Pegulas to make sound decisions.

I know I'm the minority on this thread, and not trying to be oppositional, I just respect his decision, and hope the Pegulas make the right calls moving forward.

I agree

I think the only reason people are harsh is that it's been reported that he changed his mind because of a call from Marrone trashing the organization, because Polian really respects Marrone's opinion. Since Marrone....I mean Bobbie Sue....just "took the money and run"....it lowers our collective opinions of Polian to think that he would care more for Bobbie Sue than for the Bills. But we have to realize we only have the word of a press hack that 1) Marrone trashed the organization to Polian 2) that was the deciding factor in Polian's change of mind.

Everything public from Polian has been reasonable and classy - it's quite reasonable that a 72 yr old would not want to leave a cushy and well-paid media job to toil in the trenches, or would see it as too much work. And Polian could well have said "I respect his opinion" in the same way we would say "I respect your opinion...." to a guy we're disagreeing with on TSW, but still have been influenced by it as in "wow, what was I thinking, this is no cushy sinecure, it's hard work, what was I even thinking?"

Classic

This. Good post. But to be fair, I think the media are looking for ways to make the franchise look bad and if it weren't Polian, they would come up with something else...rehashing the sideline fight with Whaley, puffing up FO dissent and the influence of "lifers" etc etc.

The suspects:

Russ Brandon

Jim Overdorf

Scott Berchtold

Don Purdy - Director of Football Administration (started with the team as an intern in 1989)

Purdy's a guy with an importantish job who has been in the building forever but gets to fly under the radar. We already know Overdorf and Berchtold are issues and I expect them to be gone anyway.

Whaley would be the one to lose power. He's in charge of the football operation. He never crossed paths with Polian either.

The people in the building that are still there that would have interacted with Polian on a daily basis are Bud Carpenter, Scott Berchtold, Jim Overdorf, and Bill Munson (who has been marginalized). That's pretty much your list.

I know Whaley never crossed paths with Polian - he was still in diapers when Polian was there and he would definitely lose power and most likely his GM position if the reports on AJ were true.

Brandon already has lost a lot of power with the new ownership and losing his title. Right now he still has lots of influence in all facets of the organization. Once Polian comes in, he will no longer be accompanying anyone a coaching search, helping with the draft, attending the end of year pressers were that weird smile...He will have gone from top dog back to director of marketing...

That is a huge drop in power...

The suspects:

Russ Brandon

Jim Overdorf

Scott Berchtold

Don Purdy - Director of Football Administration (started with the team as an intern in 1989)

Purdy's a guy with an importantish job who has been in the building forever but gets to fly under the radar. We already know Overdorf and Berchtold are issues and I expect them to be gone anyway.

Berchtold has nothing to do with the football operation obviously, but he is terrible at his job, IMO. Overdorf has to be gone.

I know Whaley never crossed paths with Polian - he was still in diapers when Polian was there and he would definitely lose power and most likely his GM position if the reports on AJ were true.

Brandon already has lost a lot of power with the new ownership and losing his title. Right now he still has lots of influence in all facets of the organization. Once Polian comes in, he will no longer be accompanying anyone a coaching search, helping with the draft, attending the end of year pressers were that weird smile...He will have gone from top dog back to director of marketing...

That is a huge drop in power...

Do you really think that Russ Brandon has his job because he likes to be around atheltes?!? That's one of the worst parts of the job. It's a headache.

He would be involved in the coaching search either way. In his current role he oversees community relations, marketing, business operations, ticket sales & service, corporate partnerships, media relations, security and stadium operations (off the top of my head). That's plenty of power and responsibility. There are probably 120 or so employees under him. It's hardly a "director of marketing" position.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Last I heard/knew (10 years ago), Purdy would just handle the lower level "slam dunk" type of contract negotiations. While it was overdorfs job to chase peters, p williams, greer, winfield, byrd etc out.

i see what you did there

Please keep him as far away from Hughes as possible.

This whole thing makes them sound like a bunch of 7th grade girls. If polian really wanted the role after Marrone opted out, he'd have taken it, regardless of who wrote nasty things about him in their slam book. Jmo.

He would have been tasked with recommending change anyway and if he wanted someone out, he could have made that happen.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Nailed it! WIthin 6 months of switching to a position in Big Business Corporate America, that's exactly what it reminded me of, LOL!

I also think you nailed it. Polian thought about the job when it seemed like he could take a brief vacation into a pretty settled organization as a kind of executive voyeur. When it came to his attention that he would have a bunch of urgent personnel decisions and ooky politicing during an organizational remodel, he no longer wanted the role.

I actually think that Polians quotes were simply protecting himself from the HOF voters, and protecting his friend Marrone, and that's basically it. He just didn't do a good job of it, which was conflated when Graham's article came out.

Everything for Polian is tied to the HOF right now, which is should. With the events happening the manner in which they did: the contributor's role for the HOF this year, Ralph passing, the sale of the team, him being selected as a finalist and now with Marrone opting out. The timing for Polian just can't happen right now. It isn't a simple advisory role anymore and that could jeopardize his HOF selection.

He does belong in the HOF and that should be his focus. I still don't see the door has been slammed shut and it may not even be until this time next year, but Polian could conceivably come back and restructure the football side of the house after Pegula makes some changes. Out of all the success he has had and all he has said about the community and what the Bills mean to him, he would still love to be part of bringing us back again...

Do you have any insight on Polian & Marrone's friendship? I never even knew they knew anything of each other until the past few days (although I never cared to know either). I still don't see why the bad mouthing from the power jockies would influence him, he would be in a position to get rid of those people...

I think Marrone was shocked that he quit.

What do I mean?

I think he overplayed his hand. He thought he was in a position of serious power: 9-7, win in NE* (even against their JV squad), tension in front office...

The opt out was his chance to oust Whaley and get full control. I think the reports of the Pegulas willing to give him more $$ boil down to that. It wasn't money... It was POWER. St. Doug wanted Whaley out the door and he wanted full say over personnel. I think he truly believed he could get it.

After all, are you going to risk losing a coach you say you like, who Russ LOVES, and who just led you to a winning season for the first time in a DECADE? Plus, he coached the team during a snowstorm!

Marrone thought that Pegula almost HAD to give him what he wanted. The opt out was his ace. But once he played it and Pegula said "no" he was screwed.

He could not continue on here with Whaley knowing that he tried to get him canned and failed. He painted himself into a corner and ended up costing himself a good gig.

That's why he was so mad on the way out, IMO. He knows he screwed up.

What do I mean?

I think he overplayed his hand. He thought he was in a position of serious power: 9-7, win in NE* (even against their JV squad), tension in front office...

The opt out was his chance to oust Whaley and get full control. I think the reports of the Pegulas willing to give him more $$ boil down to that. It wasn't money... It was POWER. St. Doug wanted Whaley out the door and he wanted full say over personnel. I think he truly believed he could get it.

After all, are you going to risk losing a coach you say you like, who Russ LOVES, and who just led you to a winning season for the first time in a DECADE? Plus, he coached the team during a snowstorm!

Marrone thought that Pegula almost HAD to give him what he wanted. The opt out was his ace. But once he played it and Pegula said "no" he was screwed.

He could not continue on here with Whaley knowing that he tried to get him canned and failed. He painted himself into a corner and ended up costing himself a good gig.

I agree 1,000%. I sell small businesses and see it all of the time. People over negotiate and over value what they have. There comes a point where someone is going to say thanks but no thanks. You are spot on.

What do I mean?

How good of a gig is it if one is pulling powerplays to force either his peers or himself out the door? Even with rose-tinted goggles snapped tightly over my eyes, that doesn't look right. It sounds ... dysfunctional.

Edit: It may well have been a powerplay.

It makes sense. Polian was given a chance to tweak the organization and move them into the playoffs and lay the ground work for the future. In a short order the team loses its starting QB and the head coach quits. The metric changes and Polian knows that is will require more intense work and at his age he does not need the aggravation. Totally makes sense to me that he said "no thanks" to Mr. Pegula

Kyle Orton is not a starting QB. if Polian thinks so then we dodged a bullet by him not accepting a job he is too old for anyways. he is in the booth for more than one reason, one of them is no one wanted him after the Colts and he and his kid heads got too big. Edited by Best Player Available

What do I mean?

Sounds possible...He's not the brightest bulb on the tree...

But his incredible snowstorm coaching ability does have me worried about the future... ;)