Tim Graham: Marrone spoke to and convinced Polian not to take job

I think he wanted to stay here and have a LOT more power, and thought the chances were very good that he would get it.

When it blew up on him I'll bet he was shocked and probably pretty felt like he made a huge mistake. But at that point all he could do was take the $$ and hope he could talk someone else into hiring him (thus the stories of him bashing the org. to Polian)

Edited by TheFunPolice

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think that Russ Brandon has his job because he likes to be around atheltes?!? That's one of the worst parts of the job. It's a headache.

He would be involved in the coaching search either way. In his current role he oversees community relations, marketing, business operations, ticket sales & service, corporate partnerships, media relations, security and stadium operations (off the top of my head). That's plenty of power and responsibility. There are probably 120 or so employees under him. It's hardly a "director of marketing" position.

I never said that he likes to be around athletes..

I actually think he enjoys the running the entire show. You saw it during draft day, you say it in the last coaching search, you see it in his weekly shows on WGR, you saw that at the end of season presser. All that goes away once he goes back to the business side of the house. Who wants to hear from any of those titles once he no longer has any role in that side of the franchise? He loses his name recognition in the media. It is these components that he loses and I do think that would be a hard pill to swallow...

With all the titles that you just mentioned, not one of them has anything to do with the coaching search.

I don't know him at all, but that has to be one hell of an ego boost to be ceded full control of the team, run it and then lose some control. You can't deny that he hasn't lost any power and isn't going to slowly lose more. Does he have more to lose than Whaley - yes seeing GM reported to him as well as the entire organization.

I am not ragging on Russ (maybe I was a little with the Dr of Marketing comment), but there are things he has done well and things that he hasn't. He is not a football guy, was elevated to that role by Ralph, it sure seemed like he enjoyed it. Now he is being moved from that role and now has less responsibilities (as a result in a big change in the business = new ownership) and loses influence accordingly.

You have to get one helluva ego boost to be given that much responsibility and even if you know that you aren't going to have full reigns when it is sold, when the time comes...it is going to be a blow to your ego...

I think he wanted to stay here and have a LOT more power, and thought the chances were very good that he would get it.

When it blew up on him I'll bet he was shocked and probably pretty felt like he made a huge mistake. But at that point all he could do was take the $$ and hope he could talk someone else into hiring him (thus the stories of him bashing the org. to Polian)

Yep. I have no trouble with thinking Marrone was pulling a power move here. It seems pretty likely in fact.

Another idea floated was he may have felt on the outside with the "czar" concept. Although he appears tight with Polian, given the recent rumors.

I never said that he likes to be around athletes..

I actually think he enjoys the running the entire show. You saw it during draft day, you say it in the last coaching search, you see it in his weekly shows on WGR, you saw that at the end of season presser. All that goes away once he goes back to the business side of the house. Who wants to hear from any of those titles once he no longer has any role in that side of the franchise? He loses his name recognition in the media. It is these components that he loses and I do think that would be a hard pill to swallow...

With all the titles that you just mentioned, not one of them has anything to do with the coaching search.

I don't know him at all, but that has to be one hell of an ego boost to be ceded full control of the team, run it and then lose some control. You can't deny that he hasn't lost any power and isn't going to slowly lose more. Does he have more to lose than Whaley - yes seeing GM reported to him as well as the entire organization.

I am not ragging on Russ (maybe I was a little with the Dr of Marketing comment), but there are things he has done well and things that he hasn't. He is not a football guy, was elevated to that role by Ralph, it sure seemed like he enjoyed it. Now he is being moved from that role and now has less responsibilities (as a result in a big change in the business = new ownership) and loses influence accordingly.

You have to get one helluva ego boost to be given that much responsibility and even if you know that you aren't going to have full reigns when it is sold, when the time comes...it is going to be a blow to your ego...

I agree.... I would be shocked if that WASN'T true. Are we supposed to believe that Russ didn't enjoy essentially being the owner of an NFL team? What football fan wouldn't dream of that chance?

Now that he's had that it's pretty clear that he's going to a position of much less power, so that would be tough for anyone. However, I think that Russ knew that was going to happen once new owners took over anyway, and he is a true pro who will continue to work to make the franchise successful.

Given that the Pegulas pretty much went around Russ to reach out to Polian I think it's obvious that Russ is not going to be running the show with the football men reporting to him anymore

I agree.... I would be shocked if that WASN'T true. Are we supposed to believe that Russ didn't enjoy essentially being the owner of an NFL team? What football fan wouldn't dream of that chance?

Now that he's had that it's pretty clear that he's going to a position of much less power, so that would be tough for anyone. However, I think that Russ knew that was going to happen once new owners took over anyway, and he is a true pro who will continue to work to make the franchise successful.

I'm curious why you you think he'll cede power so willingly.

As I recall, earlier this month he was preaching the virtues of his HC hire as proxy-owner.

I think Marrone was shocked that he quit.

What do I mean?

I think he overplayed his hand. He thought he was in a position of serious power: 9-7, win in NE* (even against their JV squad), tension in front office...

The opt out was his chance to oust Whaley and get full control. I think the reports of the Pegulas willing to give him more $$ boil down to that. It wasn't money... It was POWER. St. Doug wanted Whaley out the door and he wanted full say over personnel. I think he truly believed he could get it.

After all, are you going to risk losing a coach you say you like, who Russ LOVES, and who just led you to a winning season for the first time in a DECADE? Plus, he coached the team during a snowstorm!

Marrone thought that Pegula almost HAD to give him what he wanted. The opt out was his ace. But once he played it and Pegula said "no" he was screwed.

He could not continue on here with Whaley knowing that he tried to get him canned and failed. He painted himself into a corner and ended up costing himself a good gig.

That's why he was so mad on the way out, IMO. He knows he screwed up.

I was with you until the part of he knows he screwed up. I still thinks he believes that he deserves what he asked for and thinks, screw them. Other than that, that was a really good take. He definitely believed he could get control because he was 9-7 St Doug, and he overplayed his hand.

He does belong in the HOF and that should be his focus. I still don't see the door has been slammed shut and it may not even be until this time next year, but Polian could conceivably come back and restructure the football side of the house after Pegula makes some changes. Out of all the success he has had and all he has said about the community and what the Bills mean to him, he would still love to be part of bringing us back again.....

What I don't get is why everyone is so set on the Return of Polian.

It was a stupid decision to fire Polian whenever it was - 1992? 1993? That's 21 or 22 years ago! Kids are legally drinking and fighting for our country who were a glint in their parents eye at that point. Heck, most of the football players were wearing diapers, except for the ones who were glints themselves.

One of Ralph's big mistakes was trying to recreate history - bringing back Levy, clinging to Overdorf and Littman and Modrak even when it was clear to everyone else that they were settled into a comfortable rut of doing business as usual and no longer had the fire in their belly. Well guess what, at 72 and several years into a comfortable well-paid broadcasting gig, Polian no longer "feels the burn" himself.

Polian laid an egg near the end of his tenure with the Colts. His drafts sucked and the organization devolved, with a lot of power going to his unproven son. If you just look at that, why is he someone we want to hire? AJ Smith as GM? Seriously?

Loving a community and dreaming of a better a team isn't enough. You have to be willing to live for it, sweat for it, stay up late for it. You need stamina and determination, not just love.

I hope the door is slammed.

How good of a gig is it if one is pulling powerplays to force either his peers or himself out the door? Even with rose-tinted goggles snapped tightly over my eyes, that doesn't look right. It sounds ... dysfunctional.

Edit: It may well have been a powerplay.

That's some people's SOP. Powerplays all the way. Dysfunctional, unproductive, but the way some people are.

Given that the Pegulas pretty much went around Russ to reach out to Polian I think it's obvious that Russ is not going to be running the show with the football men reporting to him anymore

If you look back at the excerpts from Last Sunday's game:

"After Sunday’s win over the Patriots, CEO Russ Brandon opted for condescension over concern.

“It’s like the National Enquirer,” Brandon said of the rumored Polian return, via WGR550.com. “No, you guys know how we go through it. We’re gonna go through a process and see where that takes us. Obviously, that’s gonna take some time and I don’t know where all this speculation comes from. It’s agent-on-agent crime basically, listening to all the nonsense that’s out there. It’s hard in our business not to get caught up in the noise but its just that: it’s noise.”

Later asked whether there’s a chance ownership is talking to Polian, Brandon was pragmatic.

“He’s the owner, he can do whatever he wants obviously,” Brandon said. “We talk all the time with both Terry and Kim, but it’s his prerogative as owner to handle anything the way he sees fit.”"

It has to feel very comfortable over there. Russ always had all of the answers, now he doesn't...

He has the most to lose and it was honestly through no fault of his own. He was put in a situation based on RWs health and the situation changed once the team was sold. That is being placed in such a tough spot. When this occurs elsewhere in the business world, those people tend to move on.

I'm curious why you you think he'll cede power so willingly.

As I recall, earlier this month he was preaching the virtues of his HC hire as proxy-owner.

Well, he will cede it whether he wants to or not.

The Pegulas clearly run their teams. If Lafontaine can be sent packing when he didn't want to play nice, so can Russ.

I'm sure businessmen can be found to do the job if he refuses.

I was with you until the part of he knows he screwed up. I still thinks he believes that he deserves what he asked for and thinks, screw them. Other than that, that was a really good take. He definitely believed he could get control because he was 9-7 St Doug, and he overplayed his hand.

I agree that he is arrogant enough to truly believe he deserved what he asked for.

I also think he was truly surprised when it didn't work out (maybe that's the same thing). He wasn't planning to leave, and I think he was shaken by it.

The Pegulas clearly run their teams. If Lafontaine can be sent packing when he didn't want to play nice, so can Russ.

I agree that he is arrogant enough to truly believe he deserved what he asked for.

I also think he was truly surprised when it didn't work out (maybe that's the same thing). He wasn't planning to leave, and I think he was shaken by it.

i think it is hilarious he wanted personnel control. He didn't even know who was on the field!!!!!

Yeah. Who knows. To me, that kind of guy is shaken for one second and immediately goes to "Fukk them" one second later. I also believe the IIRC Mike Lupica take, that Marrone's agent Jimmy Sexton was in his ear before the meeting, and Marrone knew from Sexton that he could probably get a job with the Jets or another team if he quit. Sexton would be all for marrone quitting because it would mean Marrone gets a new 3-4 year deal plus the 4m rather than one year more with the Bills. So Sexton says if they don't give you what you want, just quit. (Sexton may even know that Marrone is not a good coach, he's a great agent)

Yeah. Who knows. To me, that kind of guy is shaken for one second and immediately goes to "Fukk them" one second later. I also believe the IIRC Mike Lupica take, that Marrone's agent Jimmy Sexton was in his ear before the meeting, and Marrone knew from Sexton that he could probably get a job with the Jets or another team if he quit. Sexton would be all for marrone quitting because it would mean Marrone gets a new 3-4 year deal plus the 4m rather than one year more with the Bills. So Sexton says if they don't give you what you want, just quit. (Sexton may even know that Marrone is not a good coach, he's a great agent)

Probably true.

Marrone might be one of those people who gets hot headed, blows up, then realized after once things settle that he screwed up.

Then again, if he ends up getting a new gig with more power and more $$ PLUS 4 million from the Bills maybe he didn't screw up at all.

i think it is hilarious he wanted personnel control. He didn't even know who was on the field!!!!!

I laughed really hard and almost spit my coffee out...

It is so sad but true

I think you are spot on with this!