Current situation makes little sense. Where is this going?

jahnyc

Things are not adding up, or are at least very weird. Consider the following:

1. Polian states that Marrone should be considered for coach of the year after the GB game.

2. Whaley gets negative press from people like Don Banks and Jason La Canfora. Banks, in his "Black Monday Primer" column about possible GM/coaching changes, makes specific reference to the trading up to get Sammy ("Whaley could be vulnerable to be replaced"). La Canfora states that Whaley may be under "review."

3. Rumors about Polian coming to Buffalo in some capacity are refuted by Polian, but then tonight Polian apparently was evasive about it on Sirrius radio Peter King notes today in his MMQB column that a Polian family member is a serious candidate to run the Bills' personnel staff (or two Polians).

4. Marrone's ability to opt out of his contract becomes widely publicized immediately after the season ends with NFL insiders, such as Schefter, suggesting that Marrone could be highly sought after if he decided to opt out.

5. Orton retires suddenly.

6. It is reported that no one on the current staff has been told that they are good for next season. No meetings with ownership are planned. Pegula continues to be silent about any future plans.

7. During the press conference, Marrone notes that he texted the "owner" about Orton retiring and asked Brandon to inform Whaley.

Where is this headed?

It's been a power struggle between the dougs. I've wondered if they coexist in 2015- and it looks like marrones winning at the moment

Curious.. Where do you see he's winning, or anything definitive that there's even a struggle?

Edited by rafter

1. Polian states that Marrone should be considered for coach of the year after the GB game.

2. Whaley gets negative press from people like Don Banks and Jason La Canfora. Banks, in his "Black Monday Primer" column about possible GM/coaching changes, makes specific reference to the trading up to get Sammy ("Whaley could be vulnerable to be replaced"). La Canfora states that Whaley may be under "review."

3. Rumors about Polian coming to Buffalo in some capacity are refuted by Polian, but then tonight Polian apparently was evasive about it on Sirrius radio Peter King notes today in his MMQB column that a Polian family member is a serious candidate to run the Bills' personnel staff (or two Polians).

4. Marrone's ability to opt out of his contract becomes widely publicized immediately after the season ends with NFL insiders, such as Schefter, suggesting that Marrone could be highly sought after if he decided to opt out.

6. It is reported that no one on the current staff has been told that they are good for next season. No meetings with ownership are planned. Pegula continues to be silent about any future plans.

7. During the press conference, Marrone notes that he texted the "owner" about Orton retiring and asked Brandon to inform Whaley.

Where is this headed?

The ESPN reports about Whaley are crap because Manuel hasn't panned out yet. Missing on a QB happens to almost every team drafting one almost every year. It's a non-story to drive, "oooh more firings" stories to the bloodthirsty masses.

The rest is basically jumping at shadows or rumors.

I don't buy that things are untenable between the Dougs. I'm sure they argue and quibble, but that's going to happen and happens with every team. They have both gotten the team to the best record in the past 10 years. If they don't take another step next year with a weak schedule, they're both in jeopardy. That's really where I see this going.

Edited by FireChan

Where is this headed?

The thought of a washed up Polian and his never-was kids in the front office is considerably worse than Whaley, IMO. People have a rose-colored memory of Polian here but he was a very stubborn personnel man. He knew he had huge weaknesses at NT and Safety...not the hardest positions to fill.....even before SBXXV and he refused to fill those positions with veterans for the duration of his time. Meanwhile, the strong NFC teams wheeled and dealed to keep their lineups thick...because they knew they had a window. Polian acted like there was always going to be next year and he almost spitefully stuck with Kelso and Jeff Wright and the NFC teams ate those guys alive in SB's. His work in Indy the last half of his time there was a shameful waste of a QB's talent. The current Broncos do a MUCH better job of putting players around Manning on a year-to-year basis. He also said that Dick Jauron was his second choice before hiring Tony Dungy. Polian DOES NOT like opinionated coaches, media or fans and frankly 20 years of Jim Kelly and Peyton Manning and only one SB win......not enough.

The thought of a washed up Polian and his never-was kids in the front office is considerably worse than Whaley, IMO. People have a rose-colored memory of Polian here but he was a very stubborn personnel man. He knew he had huge weaknesses at NT and Safety...not the hardest positions to fill.....even before SBXXV and he refused to fill those positions with veterans for the duration of his time. Meanwhile, the strong NFC teams wheeled and dealed to keep their lineups thick...because they knew they had a window. Polian acted like there was always going to be next year and he almost spitefully stuck with Kelso and Jeff Wright and the NFC teams ate those guys alive in SB's. His work in Indy the last half of his time there was a shameful waste of a QB's talent. The current Broncos do a MUCH better job of putting players around Manning on a year-to-year basis. He also said that Dick Jauron was his second choice before hiring Tony Dungy. Polian DOES NOT like opinionated coaches, media or fans and frankly 20 years of Jim Kelly and Peyton Manning and only one SB win......not enough.

I've always wondered if the 1991 version of Ted Washington, when he was not quite a mountain, would have put them over the top.

Is the new owner so preoccupied with his beautiful wife that he didn't notice his 1.4 billion dollar investment in the Buffalo Bills football team he recently purchased. Just lost a "must win" to get into the playoffs game...to a 2-12 team on the road...with a rookie QB starting?

He doesn't notice his new team doesn't have a 2015 1st round or 4th round pick because his GM traded them away for the 4th best rookie WR in the 2014 draft. That this GM hasn't brought in more then two decent starters for the offensive side of the ball for two years now.

He didn't notice his starting veteran QB who went 7-5, and got the team a winning season all the while the Bills OC calling 579 passing plays vs 402 rushing plays while playing behind one of the very worst O lines in the entire league...just abruptly retired for some unknown reason.

He doesn't notice his starting RB along with some of the best pass rushers may leave the team for better money.

Looks like its headed right down the ceramic convenience.

Where is this headed?

Point 7 is somewhat interesting, in the context you provide.

Of course, it suggests that either (a) marrone has the owner's ear or, (b) marrone is trying to get the owner's ear, and either way, (c ) Marrone is running and end-run around Whaley.

In a normal chain of command, Marrone's first and only call should be directly to Whaley. Because its not a coaching emergency, its an organizational emergency. Its not like Orton broke a leg right before the next game. Calling, texting, informing, etc. is Not a coach's job.

---

The thought of Whaley being ousted makes me sick. Honestly, he kind of seems like a guy who believes in Merit over politics and is staying above the fray. I like Marrone a little less now (mostly because I dont like politicking)

Edited by maddenboy

sounds like the first seal of the apocalypse has been opened..

"And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.

And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer."

foretelling the rise of the Anti-Kelly in Buffalo.. Jay Cutler's on his way, this cinches it. :D

Kim pegula runs bartertown

+1 Best response of the year!

+2 :D

Marrone is clearly angling for something, probably more money and who knows what else. The opt out in Marrone's contract was leaked on purpose. If this is true, forget about Hackett getting fired. If Marrone really has the leverage, he will not have to make any changes to his staff unless he wants to, and the only member of the front office in real danger is Whaley. Marrone's stock is up and Whaley's is down. Whether this is fair, it is difficult to say.

Marrone is clearly angling for something, probably more money and who knows what else. The opt out in Marrone's contract was leaked on purpose. If this is true, forget about Hackett getting fired. If Marrone really has the leverage, he will not have to make any changes to his staff unless he wants to, and the only member of the front office in real danger is Whaley. Marrone's stock is up and Whaley's is down. Whether this is fair, it is difficult to say.

Very short term leverage

Of course, it suggests that either (a) marrone has the owner's ear or, (b) marrone is trying to get the owner's ear, and either way, (c ) Marrone is running and end-run around Whaley.

In a normal chain of command, Marrone's first and only call should be directly to Whaley. Because its not a coaching emergency, its an organizational emergency. Its not like Orton broke a leg right before the next game. Calling, texting, informing, etc. is Not a coach's job.

---

The thought of Whaley being ousted makes me sick. Honestly, he kind of seems like a guy who believes in Merit over politics and is staying above the fray. I like Marrone a little less now (mostly because I dont like politicking)

If I was Pegula I would NOT want anything to do with someone who does not follow or respect the chain of command. I think Marrone could be sinking his own ship and hope so!

Get rid of Overdorf, Brandon, Marrone and Hackett!

Keep Whaley and Schwartz.

Marrone seems like a dumb guy who thinks he is smart.

---

That stood out to me as well.

Another point that I vaguely remember. Marrone said something about himself, Whaley and Russ will have a discussion about a personnel decision..but I thought russ was out of that now?

Is the new owner so preoccupied with his beautiful wife that he didn't notice his 1.4 billion dollar investment in the Buffalo Bills football team he recently purchased. Just lost a "must win" to get into the playoffs game...to a 2-12 team on the road...with a rookie QB starting?

He doesn't notice his new team doesn't have a 2015 1st round or 4th round pick because his GM traded them away for the 4th best rookie WR in the 2014 draft. That this GM hasn't brought in more then two decent starters for the offensive side of the ball for two years now.

He didn't notice his starting veteran QB who went 7-5, and got the team a winning season all the while the Bills OC calling 579 passing plays vs 402 rushing plays while playing behind one of the very worst O lines in the entire league...just abruptly retired for some unknown reason.

He doesn't notice his starting RB along with some of the best pass rushers may leave the team for better money.

You seem pretty sure of yourself.

Are you basing this on TD's, receptions per target, their qb passer rating, blocking on run plays, average yards per reception, 3rd down conversions, playing with injuries, total yardage, YAC?

The analytics department hasn't taught Marrone how to multi-text yet.

Where is this headed?

If Marrone is coveted then we will keep him and he didn't sound like he wanted to leave.

wont mind Polian, at least he knows how to get a QB

Honestly that isn't how I took it. I think the way someone says something is often as telling as what they say. It felt to me just like it was a busy morning yesterday and Marrone was trying to let everyone know asap, Whaley wasn't in the immediate vicinity so he told Russ and said "can you let Doug know? I'm gonna text the owner."

I actually thought the two Dougs appeared to be on the same page yesterday for the most part. There is some tension you sense when the EJ topic is brought up. I get the feeling Marrone has given up on EJ and Whaley hasn't. My sense is that when they went to Orton the conversation was probably along the lines of "ok Coach I support your decision but we still have to develop EJ in the hope that he can be the guy down the road." Marrone probably agreed in the heat of the situation but deep down I suspect he was thinking "this might be my one shot.... I'm not going down with the GM's pet project." If a veteran Quarterback who has had at least some success in this league is not fortcoming by OTAs then I think you might see some tensions really begin to simmer.

My sense is that when they went to Orton the conversation was probably along the lines of "ok Coach I support your decision but we still have to develop EJ in the hope that he can be the guy down the road." Marrone probably agreed in the heat of the situation but deep down I suspect he was thinking "this might be my one shot.... I'm not going down with the GM's pet project."

I don't think this is the case at all. My sense of things is that when a HC starts a young QB he's expecting him to struggle. As such they want assurances that the owner and GM understand this and are giving him a few seasons of losing in order to get the QB seasoned.

With the death of Ralph those assurances were nowhere to be found. Nobody had any idea what would happen when a new owner took over so it became "win now and to hell with the future as I might not be here in the future."

We have no way of really knowing what Marrone thinks of EJ at this point. Not starting him vs. NE on the road after 11 weeks on the bench doesn't mean much to me as that's not an ideal time to try and insert him back into the lineup. His progress will be measured next pre-season.

Not starting him vs. NE on the road after 11 weeks on the bench doesn't mean much to me as that's not an ideal time to try and insert him back into the lineup. His progress will be measured next pre-season.

I agree with that and my opinion that Marrone has given up on him is based purely on supposition. However, as I said above... I think sometimes the way people say things is as important as what they say. My interpretation of Marrone's body language and tone of voice was that he is not intending to hand the keys back to EJ any time soon.

You want our new owner to be a Dan Snyder?

It's going into year three with, a winning record, a great defense and with some must re-tooling to do on offense.

And minus a Starting QB. That is the biggest problem and don't know if they have a plan to address it.