There are NO good Qbs available

Buffalo Boy

Again, I say ; "This season was a complete waste in terms of playing Orton, missing the playoffs and not getting EJ experience."

I don't really agree with this statement. It's pretty easy to say, in retrospect, that playing Orton didn't matter because we missed the playoffs. But in reality, playing EJ might have been worse both in the short-run and the long-run.

I think people forget just how raw EJ was/is. While he was drafted in the first round, he was never supposed to start from Day 1. His rookie year was filled with injuries, beginning in the preseason. A raw kid like that could probably benefit from time around a veteran QB, which is why I think him sitting for the rest of the rest of the year and watching a veteran was EJ's best chance to be a better QB in the long-run.

That doesn't necessarily mean EJ is going to suddenly be very good next year, but I think he has a better chance now that if he came back in week 12 and finished the season. Either way, both options don't really give EJ much of a chance to be great, but I don't understand how so many people think getting him back out this year would have been better for EJ or the Bills.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really agree with this statement. It's pretty easy to say, in retrospect, that playing Orton didn't matter because we missed the playoffs. But in reality, playing EJ might have been worse both in the short-run and the long-run.

I think people forget just how raw EJ was/is. While he was drafted in the first round, he was never supposed to start from Day 1. His rookie year was filled with injuries, beginning in the preseason. A raw kid like that could probably benefit from time around a veteran QB, which is why I think him sitting for the rest of the rest of the year and watching a veteran was EJ's best chance to be a better QB in the long-run.

That doesn't necessarily mean EJ is going to suddenly be very good next year, but I think he has a better chance now that if he came back in week 12 and finished the season. Either way, both options don't really give EJ much of a chance to be great, but I don't understand how so many people think getting him back out this year would have been better for EJ or the Bills.

Sensible and considerate of all situational aspects. Good post.

Franchise QB's don't get traded, they don't hit free agency (Drew Brees was a once in a life time thing), they are very rare to find later in the draft (Tom Brady is once a lifetime lucky find and even a Russell Wilson type is a once a decade type thing). And finding a franchise QB high in the draft is hit or miss.

Finding a top QB is hard even finding a good Tony Romo type QB is hard as hell. So unless EJ steps up you are going to be bringing in a reclimation project or a flawed QB like Orton.

Been saying this for a while. There is a real drought of QB talent in the NFL.

I agree. Look at the last 10 years in the draft. So many guys drafted and very few success stories. Looking at the potential free agents there is a dearth of talent. Might as well work to make EJ better in that design the offense that is tailored to his strengths. Edited by Nitro

Franchise QB's don't get traded, they don't hit free agency (Drew Brees was a once in a life time thing), they are very rare to find later in the draft (Tom Brady is once a lifetime lucky find and even a Russell Wilson type is a once a decade type thing). And finding a franchise QB high in the draft is hit or miss.

Finding a top QB is hard even finding a good Tony Romo type QB is hard as hell. So unless EJ steps up you are going to be bringing in a reclimation project or a flawed QB like Orton.

Maybe we can get Douglas to be fired. Get angry and break the arm/s or shoulder/s of an elite QB and acquire them via trade. He'd be sure to be a Saint then!

No one has mentioned Matt Flynn. He has potential and is a realistic option for game manager- he is also a free agent this year coming year, coming off a 1 yr 1 million dollar contract. (Very affordable )

Yes he was beat out by Russell Wilson, which is not such a negative looking back on it now, then was traded to the raiders (no one really succeeds there) then cut and was here for two weeks while EJ was I jured( we aren't exactly the most brilliant QB evaluating team either) before we cut him and he went back to GB.

He has had success in GB. His career passer rating is 86 is limited action.

Yes they have a better coach and offensive scheme and yes they have better players, but if that is your reasoning for not brining him in then your problem seams to be with marrone (coaching) and Whaley (roster building) and not with Flynn.

GB is a very qb driven offense. Ideally, in buffalo, Flynn would be relied on more like Alex smith than Rodger.

Flynn saves us a huge amount for cap space (1 mill a season vrs ortons 5) and that 4 mil could go towards adding two free agent guards like boling and carpenter.

T

That all said I think adding Flynn is only one piece of the puzzle. I think the tires should be kicked on cousins and I would be willing to give up a third or fourth to give him a shot. It sounds like he or RG3 will be out of Washington and I would be up for RG3 as well if he becomes available via trade. I also think we need to draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The bills need to find someone serviceable. We cannot waste this D. Adding only one guy gives us ony one chance. Let's add three or four and give ouraelves three or four chances!

Sam Bradford, Nick Foles, Mike Glennon. THosse are the only QB's I would bother with. I am not saying there Jim Kelly, but only thing out there.

Bradford is good but its hard to overlook the health issues that he's has had since his college days.

No one has mentioned Matt Flynn. He has potential and is a realistic option for game manager- he is also a free agent this year coming year, coming off a 1 yr 1 million dollar contract. (Very affordable )

I think that this team needs a more viable option than Matt Flynn. I don't see him as a true starter over a season. You may get some good games out of him but you'll get some real bad ones too. I'd rather see a Hoyer come in as at least the film on him is current.

There are some very good guys passed around. Garcia, Gannon etc come to mind. There's been several HOF'ers like Montana, Young and Moon. It happens, the key is to get the most out of the thread that's left on the tires.

Edited by Catch it Sammy

I dare you to mention one descent QB who is currently a UFA. I know someone mentioned Sanchez in another post. We have him, younger and cheaper = EJ.

The fact is, there are no QBs available, coming available or draft able that are worth giving up picks for. Again, I say ; "This season was a complete waste in terms of playing Orton, missing the playoffs and not getting EJ experience."

The only two QBs I would like to see them bring in, CHEAP, are Mallett or Matt Moore. I'm not singing their praises but they are the best/most intriguing of a piss poor lot.

I see training camp opening next year with a new OC and Ej in a battle with someone. Who that someone is remains to be seen. If Hackett remains, it won't matter who is under center.

I don't recall EJ going to two AFC Championship games?

Yes he was beat out by Russell Wilson, which is not such a negative looking back on it now, then was traded to the raiders (no one really succeeds there) then cut and was here for two weeks while EJ was I jured( we aren't exactly the most brilliant QB evaluating team either) before we cut him and he went back to GB.

Yes they have a better coach and offensive scheme and yes they have better players, but if that is your reasoning for not brining him in then your problem seams to be with marrone (coaching) and Whaley (roster building) and not with Flynn.

GB is a very qb driven offense. Ideally, in buffalo, Flynn would be relied on more like Alex smith than Rodger.

Flynn saves us a huge amount for cap space (1 mill a season vrs ortons 5) and that 4 mil could go towards adding two free agent guards like boling and carpenter.

T

That all said I think adding Flynn is only one piece of the puzzle. I think the tires should be kicked on cousins and I would be willing to give up a third or fourth to give him a shot. It sounds like he or RG3 will be out of Washington and I would be up for RG3 as well if he becomes available via trade. I also think we need to draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The bills need to find someone serviceable. We cannot waste this D. Adding only one guy gives us ony one chance. Let's add three or four and give ouraelves three or four chances!

This is the best QB plan I have seen. Everyone slams this or that QB. The truth is there is no sure-fire QB available. Matt Flynn would be an upgrade, and going after Cousins, etc. gives the Bills more options. The more options, the more chance for success.

most all are better than EJ And EJ will never amount to anything. So options are this, do the trade for Cutler or Bradford (both >>>>>>>>than EJ will ever be) or find a way to get one in the draft.

What has Cutler or Bradford done in the league that makes you want to bring them in to QB the Bills?

I'd understand the anti-EJ fans if EJ was a loose cannon partying every night or if EJ was a fat slob who refused to exercise and eat right or if EJ was a locker-room cancer, or if he was lackadaisical in his film work and other preparation, or if EJ was a physical coward who wouldn't take a hit for the team but unless they are all lying he is none of those things. So why can't EJ who physically is just slightly below Cam Newton and unless everyone is lying is doing all the right things to get better, get better?

T

The Bills had Matt Flynn as an option at QB and let him go, remembers?

I'd understand the anti-EJ fans if EJ was a loose cannon partying every night or if EJ was a fat slob who refused to exercise and eat right or if EJ was a locker-room cancer, or if he was lackadaisical in his film work and other preparation, or if EJ was a physical coward who wouldn't take a hit for the team but unless they are all lying he is none of those things. So why can't EJ who physically is just slightly below Cam Newton and unless everyone is lying is doing all the right things to get better, get better?

I agree with this to a point. I'm not anti-EJ, I'm not sold on EJ. The Bills need to bring in 2-3 FA QB's to compete with EJ. EJ could turn out to be great. or could continue to be the guy we saw early on this season.

I agree. Look at the last 10 years in the draft. So many guys drafted and very few success stories. Looking at the potential free agents there is a dearth of talent. Might as well work to make EJ better in that design the offense that is tailored to his strengths.

more options=more chance of success. Don't want a situation where everything hinges on EJ playing well, which he has not done so far.

The Bills were REALLY lucky this year. They had put all of their eggs in the EJ basket, but after camp realized how much he had regressed. They were lucky they got Orton off of the couch and that he did as well as he did. Hell, maybe Favre wants to get off the couch for a while? ;)

T

Wasn't Flynn here last year for three cups of coffee and then cut. If the Bills thought he was the answer, he would not have been back in Green Bay at all. I am in the Cousins camp.....get him if you can...... Edited by bigK14094

The Bills were REALLY lucky this year. They had put all of their eggs in the EJ basket, but after camp realized how much he had regressed. They were lucky they got Orton off of the couch and that he did as well as he did. Hell, maybe Favre wants to get off the couch for a while? ;)

Or maybe the bills get wise and dont go into the season with nothing but inexperienced QBs? Maybe they learn their lesson and bring in a veteran guy?

Yeah, that Bledsoe worked out well...for 8 games.

never said it would work out, only that it's a bit similar situation - bringing in a vet slinger to sell playoff hopes. one thing he has going for him are his experience running Shanahan's west coast offense before wearing ouut his welcome in Denver

No to Cutler!!!!! He's a bum. There is no quick fix. Bringing in another bum to sell "Playoff hopes" is a joke. Old Jamaican proverb,"Hope is nothing but comfort for a fool." Get the most out of what we have. EJ could have accomplished what Orton accomplished. Maybe more but he has to play to get better.

We have zip chances of pulling any significant first string QB talent from any other team in the NFL. I think the solution is to bring in as many QB's as you can and run them through the paces. The competition would be great for EJ as well. Many lesser QB's are just an opportunity away from developing into something great. Curt Warner is the best example of that. Underrated free agent at Green Bay, gets released and picked up by the Arena Football League eventually to wind up on the Rams. Jake Delhomme with the Panthers is another example. Then there is Doug Fluttie. No one wanted him. As far as candidates to look at; There was a rumor Philly was looking to trade Matt Barkley. Having seen him at USC, I have to say it is worth a shot to bring him in. Keep in mind he was in the running for the Heisman before he got hurt his senior year. I think we also need to take a serious look at Quarterbacks playing in the CFL such as Zach Collaros. Let's face it, if you play in the CFL, you have to have arm strength. Heck, I would even bring in Tebow for a try (not likely to work out I admit it).... Bottom line is that Bills need to put preconceptions aside and sift through the talent that is out there. Hopefully they can find a diamond in the rough someplace.

We have zip chances of pulling any significant first string QB talent from any other team in the NFL. I think the solution is to bring in as many QB's as you can and run them through the paces. The competition would be great for EJ as well. Many lesser QB's are just an opportunity away from developing into something great. Curt Warner is the best example of that. Underrated free agent at Green Bay, gets released and picked up by the Arena Football League eventually to wind up on the Rams. Jake Delhomme with the Panthers is another example. Then there is Doug Fluttie. No one wanted him. As far as candidates to look at; There was a rumor Philly was looking to trade Matt Barkley. Having seen him at USC, I have to say it is worth a shot to bring him in. Keep in mind he was in the running for the Heisman before he got hurt his senior year. I think we also need to take a serious look at Quarterbacks playing in the CFL such as Zach Collaros. Let's face it, if you play in the CFL, you have to have arm strength. Heck, I would even bring in Tebow for a try (not likely to work out I admit it).... Bottom line is that Bills need to put preconceptions aside and sift through the talent that is out there. Hopefully they can find a diamond in the rough someplace.

I like this outlook. You have to hope that the front office is going to leave no stone unturned to find a capable QB. I don't know that it'll work, but it's worth a try.

PS - Kurt

No to Cutler!!!!! He's a bum. There is no quick fix. Bringing in another bum to sell "Playoff hopes" is a joke. Old Jamaican proverb,"Hope is nothing but comfort for a fool." Get the most out of what we have. EJ could have accomplished what Orton accomplished. Maybe more but he has to play to get better.

Russ has survived a long time in buffalo by selling the next big thing. 15 straight seasons of players, coaches, and general managers that couldn't build one team capable of finishing at least 6th in their conference. how in the world does he do it?

Yes, the unforgettable "Curt Warner"...

If Barkley was anywhere near good, I think he would have at least been given a shot before Mark Sanchez.

I agree though, that bringing in a young guy that is currently a backup, that might still being developing, and has an "upside" might be the only course of action. Of course, that's pretty much what they have in EJM right now.

EJM making progress is about the best hope we have.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I really have to wonder at the lack of scouting talent out there in the NFL. How many long shots like Tom Brady have been passed over for busts? I refuse to believe that there will be nobody better than EJ in the next draft, even in the 2nd round.

Just 2 in the last 10 or so years, Wilson and Romo. There are very few diamonds in the rough success stories. It's very rare for that to happen. Everyday fans have the same access to draft prospects so it's not like anyone slips throughout the cracks in NFL scouting departments.

EJ Manuel is a lot better than any QB at pick #50 in this draft. He had a 6-8 QB record. Fans have been going overboard on how bad he was.

Been saying this for a while. There is a real drought of QB talent in the NFL.

yep. the defenses are ahead of all but the top 5 to 10 offenses. D Lineman are plentiful and when they go down, are replaceable. quality O Lineman are few and fragile -- lose a couple and your team is screwed until the next season - cannot recover. its cost many a HC their job.

95% of College QBs just spread em out and throw to open guys. In the NFL, you spread em out and any number of Von Millers kills your qb. College game has seperated from the pro game at the QB position. Not sure where we go from here when Teddy Bridgewaters are the cream of the crop.

I really have to wonder at the lack of scouting talent out there in the NFL. How many long shots like Tom Brady have been passed over for busts? I refuse to believe that there will be nobody better than EJ in the next draft, even in the 2nd round.

Refuse away until you are happy - Then look at the QBs picked in the last many drafts. The irrefutable reality is that there are very few QBs capable of bing e very good NFL QBs.

T

Didn't we kick the tires on Flynn last year, and I think he went to Oakland, and back to Green Bay since then? And he had a sin with Seattle, try-out with the Giants, and I think a few others in between.

I guess he is worth a look, again???