Kraig Urbik appears to have been freed

The Big Cat

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since the main problem for the left side of the line appears to be stunts, which means speaks to communication and experience issues between Glenn and Richardson; it remains to be seen if Urbik's experience from his days at RG translate to better play and communication at LG.

About friggin' time! Although Pears still starting at RG isn't a good thing.

agree but Richardson is clearly not ready...i think he will be good but we need vets in there. This team can make a run to playoffs with a bit more consistent offense

My friend from Phoenix texted me this morning that local talk radio (I know, I know) was droning on and on that The Cards were either trading for or trying hard to trade for CJ Spiller until he got hurt this week. He couldn't tell if they were implying it was close to a done deal or they were just in serious talks. Of course, not sure of the validity of that and I take it with a grain of salt.

That said, they do have a guard prospect in Jonathan Cooper who has been a disappointment and is second string. Marrone has an arrogance about being able to coach guys up (although we clearly haven't seen it). Teams don't usually give up on guys drafted so high so early, but if they thought Spiller to give them juice for a playoff run they could have pulled the trigger.

Means nothing now but thought it was a tad interesting. I sincerely doubt we would have traded Spiller for a mid round draft pick.

Richardson is a good run blocker. He's pancaked a few big guys, including JJ Watt. However, he cannot pass block. Yet. They can teach him. I think he'll need to drop 15 pounds in order to be quick enough to pass block.

What about Hairston? Can he play guard?

I don't think he can.. that is just according to what Joe B has said when he was put there a bit in off season / pre-season.

My friend from Phoenix texted me this morning that local talk radio (I know, I know) was droning on and on that The Cards were either trading for or trying hard to trade for CJ Spiller until he got hurt this week. He couldn't tell if they were implying it was close to a done deal or they were just in serious talks. Of course, not sure of the validity of that and I take it with a grain of salt.

That said, they do have a guard prospect in Jonathan Cooper who has been a disappointment and is second string. Marrone has an arrogance about being able to coach guys up (although we clearly haven't seen it). Teams don't usually give up on guys drafted so high so early, but if they thought Spiller to give them juice for a playoff run they could have pulled the trigger.

Means nothing now but thought it was a tad interesting. I sincerely doubt we would have traded Spiller for a mid round draft pick.

That makes a ton of sense. I would not be at all surprised if those talks took place on both players based on the needs/situation with players and team.

Can you provide multiple, ongoing examples of this? Because you keep harping on it like it's a thing.

As bad as Pears has been, a change on that side would probably make Henderson worse

having a better player next to him could just as easily help. especially one that has played the position long term.

ill agree that CR has been a mess in pass pro, and we seem to be passing more -- but still have a nagging feeling that Urbik at his natural position would likely be the logical choice here if both guys are a mess.

Can you provide multiple, ongoing examples of this? Because you keep harping on it like it's a thing.

i think its just a strong feeling many of us get from how hes handled decisions. clearly theres no proof, or definitive statements. st dougs demeanor, coupled with some decisions, seem to point that way though.

Starting Seantrell Henderson immediately at LT and then starting the NFL season with two of five players that have rarely even lined up at that position in the NFL (less than two weeks). Going against virtually everyone else's opinion, including his compemporary OL coaches, that continuity in an OL is far less important than getting your five best players out there at once, regardless even of experience at that position. Keeping three rookie OL on the active roster, one of which was a 7th round pick and the other two being absolute disasters a short while into their pro careers. Time after time moving players out of position into ones they have never played. Oh, and listening to him talk about it.

This is simple. Either upgrade the left side to elevate the pass OR upgrade the right and elevate the run.

I am fine with us doing this to the left because Pears can drive block. sort of.

Yeah... and Boobie can probably get more traction than CJ could up the middle, plus we will be missing Fred's pass blocking and need all the help we can get up front there considering how much KO will be throwing. It was now or never for Urbik to get in there.