A New Stadium: Do fans actually care?

BillsLux

Stadium: Do you actually care?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. As a spectator, do you care if they have a new stadium?

• Yes
    • I guess it would be nice
    • Do not care
    • Love going to the games at Rich, it's a waste of tax payer money

I am a diehard fan.

When I go to a game, I can honestly say that I don't care how nice the concession stands are or how great the audio systems is?

I am not naive to the financial implications of the high price corporate boxes (etc.), but I am curious to know if the average fan actually cares about having a new stadium. I personally could not care less. It's literally 3 hours a week for 8 weeks. I am 100% focused on the game during that time.

On a practical note, I'm not actually sure if the corporate infrastructure in the Western NY area can fill the boxes anyway.

Edited by BillsLux

I voted that it would be nice. I'm a ST holder from the Rochester area. I don't mind the current location. If it was in downtown or Amherst, cool, but I'm pretty "meh" on future locations. As for stadium quality, as long as it has adequate bathrooms and everything is safe, I don't care. I would watch the team play in the parking lot as long as the team was competitive.

That being said, a new stadium would be awesome, and I'm certainly not against it, especially if the Pegulas and Jacobs foot a significant portion of the bill.

I would vote to keep the Bills at the Ralph for the rest of eternity, but it's just not tenable because it comes down to dollars and cents. The Bills can charge bigger bucks across the board at a new stadium, which puts more in the pockets of all owners. The pressure from Pegual's fellow owners will be to great to deny. It's not a matter of if, but when, how much, who pays and where.

The sight lines at The Ralph are great. The tailgating at The Ralph is great. It's big enough but not huge. The actual game experience there for fans is pretty good if not quite good. Some new stadiums are terrific and some suck. The stadium in Seattle is a very cool place to watch a game. The one in Phoenix sucks IMO. I haven't been to Jerryworld and half the people seem to say it's amazing and half say it's awful. Gillette sucks. Tampa is decent but I think the Ralph is significantly better to watch a game at. Most domes suck. Indianapolis is pretty cool.

There really aren't a lot of great NFL stadiums. I'm not sure about the new Met Life one or the SF one though.

Aside from making it shelter snow a bit (not a full dome) I see no need for new stadium.

There are fans who will pay significantly more for seats in a new stadium and fans when forced to pay more will choose not to get season tickets rather than move to seats which are more expensive and poorer view. I think no matter where stadium is moved to it will destroy tailgating as we know it and that is what sustains fans during bad runs. I do not think there is a lot of corporations who will pay for higher priced signage and suites in a new stadium. The Sabres might get signage in new stadium if owner was interesting in paying for it. :w00t:

If Jerry and his cohorts WANT a new stadium for more revenue they can pay for it and ask for percentage of cut - it is not economical and would not spur economic benefits other than short term benefits of construction of new stadium.

I voted it would be waste of taxpayer money. Are BFLO fans really the "New NFL?" Or will we always be cooler toting tailgaters. Seeing the "New NFL" in Chicago was really an eye opener for me. My neighbor goes to a few games where his company pays for the ticket and game. Parking pass comes out to about 75 bucks (per game) that his corporation picks up. 75 bucks just for open air (outside the parking garages) so they can have the priviledge to tailgate and "grill." WTF!

What would happen to all the private parking around The Ralph? That's what the teams and the NFL want to get their grubby little hands on! It's all about control and squeezing a buck out of people.

Now that Pegula saved the team... Why can't we just remain the same... The same "Old NFL." Do they really think they are going to squeeze money out of a fan base that is light on the corporate sponsers.

Enlighten me on the merits of the "New NFL." Is Pegula really in it to make money? Everything is bought and paid for, why do we have to go upside down like all the other teams. I am happy as is having one of the cheapest costs to see a game in The League (along w/Cleveland). Why can't they leave it alone? Isn't that one of the rules in real estate? Buy the cheapest home in the best neighborhood. Let everybody else raise our value... We will still keep our digs nice. We don't need a "Starbucks" or other types of places in the stadium. We are a tailgating culture. A culture that promotes private enterprise too. Why should we be "socialized" by The NFL?

I would vote to keep the Bills at the Ralph for the rest of eternity, but it's just not tenable because it comes down to dollars and cents. The Bills can charge bigger bucks across the board at a new stadium, which puts more in the pockets of all owners. The pressure from Pegual's fellow owners will be to great to deny. It's not a matter of if, but when, how much, who pays and where.

Screw 'em! Just think of all the private enterprise they would be put out of business. Businesses that exist around The Ralph. You want that money funneling into the NFL? That's unAmerican! I say, outside of possibly Green Bay, we should remain that last true team that does business the American way in The NFL!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

It sounds like Pegula is going to build one, so we better get over it quickly. He didn't go into this teetering on the edge of whether or not to replace our soon to be 50 year old stadium. My bet is he gets it built by the time the lease expires, and we move right in.

Also he seems like a very down to earth guy, and it's just my opinion, but I can't see him bullying the government into paying more than a fair share for a new stadium. On top of that he has no leverage to bully them anyway.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2014/10/7/6934579/buffalo-bills-owners-kim-terry-pegula-downtown-stadium

Edited by What a Tuel

It sounds like Pegula is going to build one, so we better get over it quickly. He didn't go into this teetering on the edge of whether or not to replace our soon to be 50 year old stadium. My bet is he gets it built by the time the lease expires, and we move right in.

Also he seems like a very down to earth guy, and it's just my opinion, but I can't see him bullying the government into paying more than a fair share for a new stadium. On top of that he has no leverage to bully them anyway.

How old is Lambeau?

Why don't we move to that model?

Driving around Green Bay is so refreshing! Especially seeinng that abortion in Chicago!

How old is Lambeau?

Driving around Green Bay is so refreshing! Especially seeinng that abortion in Chicago!

I've never been to Green Bay so I'll take your word for it. That said, Ralph Wilson Stadium isn't Lambeau for a multitude of reasons. They also spent nearly $400 million (inflation) renovating it in 2000. Pegula won't spend near that much when he could build a new one near the Sabres in downtown.

Edited by What a Tuel

How old is Lambeau?

You just proved against your own point, sort of. Soldier field is 90 years old. Got a refurb in 2002-03, and you still don't like it.

Yea Lambeau is a refurb, but it has had a lot of face lifts. And by all accounts they have been a success. I think the same can be said for Kansas City.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

You just proved against your own point, sort of. Soldier field is 90 years old. Got a refurb in 2002-03, and you still don't like it.

Yea Lambeau is a refurb, but it has had a lot of face lifts. And by all accounts they have been a success. I think the same can be said for Kansas City.

No. I don't like the model around Soldier, underground parking, Museum Campus, etc... The refurb is okay... But moving to the "New NFL model" while squeezing out tailgaters or charging huge prices to do so. Also, if you don't have a ticket, you can't hang out in the parking lot and watch the game on TV while tailgating (ie: watching the tailgate for the ones that go into the stadium, setting up for after the game, etc..)

Again no problem with the refurb of Soldier... Just the business model they went to.

No. I don't like the model around Soldier, underground parking, Museum Campus, etc... The refurb is okay... But moving to the "New NFL model" while squeezing out tailgaters or charging huge prices to do so. Also, if you don't have a ticket, you can't hang out in the parking lot and watch the game on TV while tailgating (ie: watching the tailgate for the ones that go into the stadium, setting up for after the game, etc..)

Again no problem with the refurb of Soldier... Just the business model they went to.

I see. I thought that's what you might have meant.

I see. I thought that's what you might have meant.

Yeah. I do realize CHI was in a bit of a bind too. To be fair, I am not sure how else they could have handled it and stayed there. Kind of a unique situation that absorbed it. I just really don't like all the underground parking garages. I guess it had to be, its unique situation there and to try to emulate it in downtown BFLO, IMO, would be a huge mistake.

I like what we have. I have been to Lambeau and simply love it! Just like The Ralph, residential right up against it!

Sidenote: Look @ the mess they are trying to pull with the Cubs @ Wrigley & the RoofTops. They simply want to control everything. What would a new stadium downtown (or wherever) do to places like Hammer's and the private lots? That money would just funnel out of the hands of the small business people and right into the team/League.

As a season ticket holder, I was very very pleased with the renovations at THE RALPH! Brighter and easier to get around at. Plus the added video screens are a huge plus.

I am in agreement with the other responder who pointed out that the stadium is a building that is in the best of years used less than 15 times and I want great sight lines to see the game not bells, whistles or added in-stadium amenities.

I guess I didn't hear what the GR team at Pegula's press conference heard because in answer to a stadium-related question Pegula said something like "that will take time and "we will study it." Brandon in recent interviews including at Friday's event was equally ambivalent only stating that the stadium task group was part of the current lease and would meet again in the future; no rush and no 'we must have a new stadium soon.'

Most new stadiums do not bring in any benefits to the communities that pay for them other than the construction jobs. If you pay taxes in NY will you be first in line to campaign for the local or state rep raising our taxes to build a stadium when THE RALPH is perfect on game day? I know I won't be ... we have an owner who seems content with where his Bills play ... so let's work on the game and not dreaming of paying more in taxes plus seat license fees that would likely be part of that new stadium.

To me the only thing wrong with the Ralph is its location. The regional concept has proven to be a good one. To help secure this my long time "vote" would be to put the stadium near the Falls and closer to Toronto.

However, the Ralph is fine. Not sure that anything is gained with a new stadium.

I voted Yes because of the wording of the question, I care because it doesn't matter if the stadium moves as long as the experience and tailgating remain the same. Location isn't as important as the whole shebang! That is my concern with anew stadium, so I care.

I voted Yes because of the wording of the question, I care because it doesn't matter if the stadium moves as long as the experience and tailgating remain the same. Location isn't as important as the whole shebang! That is my concern with anew stadium, so I care.

The part of the experience that is bound to change with a new stadium is the procurement step. If the mantra is a new stadium brings more cash, and it's roughly the same size, then the obvious way to increase revenue is to get more $/attendee.

I care. I'd love a new stadium if it was downtown or closer to Rochester. What people don't realize is that even though there are a ton of fans from Rochester, people are being alienated because, frankly, the two hour drive there and 2 1/2 (at least) drive back, including traffic, sucks. It is THE main reason I don't have season tickets, and don't attend too many games. For Rochester folks, we're talking a 4 hour total commute MINIMUM just to see a game.

Have an 8 to 10 hour day to see a game is too much with job responsibility, family responsibility, house to take care of, etc. If the stadium was 20 minutes to 1/2 hour closer it would be a different story.

And this isn't involving the comfort factor. Frankly, as I get older, it becomes a little more important. I've spent plenty of time freezing my a$$ off over the years. Paid my dues. Watched games in the rain, snow, cold, wind, etc. I've been hit by cups of beer, snowballs, and been accosted by fans of both the opposing team and Bills fans. I've been vomited upon, because morons drink too much. That's fine, but to sit in traffic and drive 3 hours home after all that is a bit much, especially after paying for the privilege.

So a new stadium with a retractable roof that is a little closer to (my) home is a damn good idea in my book. I'd pay an extra $10 a ticket for it at least.

As long as the "bones" of the stadium are good, why move it? Yes, there will need to be more revisions and tweeks to the stadium. Concessions,bathrooms. I can see a major revision so that some prime seats are enclosed in glass so that those that want protection from the elements can pay for that privilege. They would be a premium somewhere between boxes and open seating. More money for the owner. We don't need a dome. Football is an outdoor sport. Create a space for indoor comfort for those that need it and can pay for it and we create more voluntary income for the owner, fill a fan need, and let the other fans continue to enjoy an affordable experience.

Someone mentioned the other owners wanting increased revenue from the stadium. I thought that most revenue generated from the stadium facilities was not shared, concessions, parking, other frills, SLs, etc. was exclusive to the owner. Is that incorrect?

I don't feel for those complaining about the location, it is fine. And those mentioning regional forget that getting closer to Canada also puts the stadium further away from the rest of WNY. Travel from the east and south is decent now, how will that help? This magical belief that all that Toronto Corporate money will flow into NF or downtown if we build a new stadium there is a unicorn dream, like the attendence and support the team had in the Toronto games showed us. And near NF or downtown increases traffic woes and travel times becouse of congestion in urban areas. It is not just the stadium costs, but the road infastructure costs the taxpayer will have to foot. It is not just about the distance traveled, but the time spent in traffic getting to the game. For many fans, getting closer to an urban area will inevitably increase travel time, even if it decreases distance.

Edited by simpleman

With HDTV and the blackout rule gone , a dome with less seating could make sense 10 years from now. As long as the team stays here, whatever the Pegulas are comfortable with is good.

The type of stadium that good players want to come here and stay is also a factor

Edited by ALF

I'd love to see the Bills get a fancy new stadium, like others have said my biggest gripe is location. Best tailgate in the league, not even close IMO. I would hate to give that up for new digs, hopefully they'd take that into consideration.

No.

They shouldnt waste all of the $ they just put into the ralph

Exactly. I hope the Pegulas and the local politicians don't succumb to the pressure of the "rich get richer" worry about whats in it for themselves owners like Jerry Jones! The Ralph is great, and at 40 years old, how can it be worn out?

Been to the Ralph a couple of times & i don't see where the visitors say that the venue sucks ? The sight lines are great , you can see well from just about any where in the stadium .

I don't get why the tax payers should pay for the stadium with the NFL being the ones to get all or most of the profits .

Let Goodell & others give back a bit of their yearly salary & put it in a stadium fund that every 5th or so year a team starting with the team that has the oldest venue to get a new on .

If Goodell gave back $20 million a year of his $44 million & the NFL put lets say $500 million every year from their multi BILLION $ a year TV contract the NFL & the teams could pay cash over a short period of time & have the tax burden be nothing on the fans .

But i guess where greed is involved with multi millionaires you just want more !!

Only if it was a dome. This will amplify the sound (which is more of a home field advantage than the hope for snow), eliminate the "blackout" risk, and increase ticket prices as required due to supply and demand for games after November 1. Even when the team is competitive, it's hard to actually fill the Ralph when it's -10.

Been to the Ralph a couple of times & i don't see where the visitors say that the venue sucks ? The sight lines are great , you can see well from just about any where in the stadium .

I don't get why the tax payers should pay for the stadium with the NFL being the ones to get all or most of the profits .

Let Goodell & others give back a bit of their yearly salary & put it in a stadium fund that every 5th or so year a team starting with the team that has the oldest venue to get a new on .

If Goodell gave back $20 million a year of his $44 million & the NFL put lets say $500 million every year from their multi BILLION $ a year TV contract the NFL & the teams could pay cash over a short period of time & have the tax burden be nothing on the fans .

But i guess where greed is involved with multi millionaires you just want more !!

I don't understand why anyone would say the Ralph sucks. It's awesome, even better now with the refresh. I love it. I'd only due a new stadium if it were a dome and/or the Ralph became structurally unsound for some reason.

The Ralph is in the wilderness. Like it or not, a new modernized stadium is coming in a better location.

you are prob correct that a new stadium will be coming. But I don't think the Ralph is in the wilderness. It's very easy to access from the thruway. I drive up from Pittsburgh at least once a year. It would be much more difficult for out of town fans and in town fans if it were downtown. The Steelers stadium is downtown, and it's easier to get in and out of the Ralph. Plus, the tailgating at the Ralph is 100000X better.

I care. I'd love a new stadium if it was downtown or closer to Rochester. What people don't realize is that even though there are a ton of fans from Rochester, people are being alienated because, frankly, the two hour drive there and 2 1/2 (at least) drive back, including traffic, sucks. It is THE main reason I don't have season tickets, and don't attend too many games. For Rochester folks, we're talking a 4 hour total commute MINIMUM just to see a game.

Have an 8 to 10 hour day to see a game is too much with job responsibility, family responsibility, house to take care of, etc. If the stadium was 20 minutes to 1/2 hour closer it would be a different story.

And this isn't involving the comfort factor. Frankly, as I get older, it becomes a little more important. I've spent plenty of time freezing my a$$ off over the years. Paid my dues. Watched games in the rain, snow, cold, wind, etc. I've been hit by cups of beer, snowballs, and been accosted by fans of both the opposing team and Bills fans. I've been vomited upon, because morons drink too much. That's fine, but to sit in traffic and drive 3 hours home after all that is a bit much, especially after paying for the privilege.

So a new stadium with a retractable roof that is a little closer to (my) home is a damn good idea in my book. I'd pay an extra $10 a ticket for it at least.

How is downtown really any closer to Rochester than Orchard Park and the Ralph? A few minutes?

I have only been to the Ralph a handful of times and before the recent renovations. The stadium is great. The location makes it easy to get to from the airport and lets face it, part of the game day appeal is the RV's/tailgating culture. Its like a college game. The stadium itself always had great sight-lines and with the improvements it would seem to be solid. As a tax payer in my own state, I am not a fan of giving money to billionaires who could afford to build on their own. It would be a good project to improve rail lines to the stadium from the Niagara and Rochester to make it easier to get to the stadium and reduce traffic congestion. Now, if you can keep the pros of going to the Ralph (tailgating) and create something that could be used year round (concerts, conventions, bowl games) then you can justify the use of public funds as revenues raised outside of football would benefit the community. With the purchase by the Pegulas this becomes a back-seat issue. The team is staying in Western NY and the current lease runs for the next decade. Time can be taken to see if a new stadium would make sense without the fear this is a make-or-break issue.