A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

1) Gotta start with a shout out to Carpenter. That kick was miraculous! Just freaking great!!!!! And it had a few yards left!

2) In the middle of the 3rd quarter, Watkins was mauled by the defender. The flag was tossed by the official who was RIGHT THERE and picked up. Is that how this works? The league should look into this. I HATE complaining about calls, but this was simply outrageous. Sadly, more to come on this topic.

3) Marcel Dareus played the game of his life. On his sack for a forced fumble, he was clearly held. Today, this kid was every single thing we wanted him to be in every way.

4) Here is the deal wrt Pears. He is an average Right Tackle. He doesn't suck at RT. He has no business playing Guard. NONE! But he retaliated on the late hit by Fairley, and he is a tough guy. I respect him for fighting for his teammates.

5) Help on the way,

I know only this;

I've got you today

Don't fly away.....

'cause I love what I love

and I want it that way.

6) Watkins was just SO good today, I am going to re-evaluate the trade, which I was totally against.

7) Orton? I need more time to sort out what he does. We probably all do. But his pass to Goodwin was each and every bit as good as it gets, no?

8) Woods was blocking his ass off today. He threw a block on a run by FJ in the 3rd quarter that MADE the play.

9) Schwartz was another person who confused me today. At the end of the first qtr., they rushed only 3 on 3rd and 8 and gave up a td. I KNOW that Pettine would have applied more pressure. That said, his defensive calls overall were VERY good imo. Let's face it, the defense kept us in the game, so I am going to give credit and thanks.

10) Have I blasted Gilmore when I saw fit to do so? Certainly. Well, the pass interference call against him in the 2nd quarter was absolute BS!!!!! If anything, Johnson hit him in his facemask. The truth is that he played a decent game today and this football team needs him to step up. I am thrilled to see him play well.

11) OK, I have a confession to make. I watched the game today in a crowded place. After one of Marcel's brutal sacks I yelled, "He's my son!" People were looking at me and the replay and gave me some room and strange looks. Yeah, I am a Bills fan.

12) Sorry, I am pissed at the fact that we had 2 delay penalties in the first quarter. We are not a good enough team to do this and win on a consistent basis.

13) Spiller was awful today. He can't see a hole. He dances and gains 2, if that.

14) Thank you Jerry Hughes for giving it your all on every play!!!!! Seriously, you go!!!

15) There is nothing that grabs me more than when the Bills fight back. Not one f*&^%$g thing. It makes them better people, better players, and it is what WE deserve as fans.

16) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, and allow me to echo your GO BILLS!!!

Dareus was a monster, Sammy made the play of the year so far, Orton's toss to Goodwin was the definition of "dropping it in the bucket", Freddy is my hero, and 3-2 feels mighty fine.

Thanks and I forgot to credit Leodis for taking out Johnson. Once more.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

Thanks ad I forgot to credit Leodis for taking out Johnson. Once more.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also made a great TD-saving play just before the TD to Tate. He has stepped up his game these past couple weeks.

This defense is playoff quality right now, I was not a Schwartz' believer, but boy he's delivering, I think he's the typical great coordinator that should not be a HC.

Dareus was beasting today, no doubt in one play he stunted to clear the way for Hughes to the QB but he ended up riding two OL to the QB for a sweet sack.

Stephan Charles and Corbin Bryant were very important today, they're developing nicely as they get more playing time. The rotation is deep and it helps both Dareus and Kyle.

Orton needs to get on the same page with his receivers, lots of throws behind today. If he can get better in this regard, look out.

Hope Searcy and Brooks are ok, especially Brooks.

I would not overpay for Spiller's services, a shame because he's a great kid but he's not a good running back, at times he has zero feel for the position.

Fredex continues to fire up the team with every play. My favorite Bill for the last decade.

Kyle Orton changed the play on the last series, and managed to make things work despite Nate Hacker.

Why is Pears even in there at RG? Urbik has to be way better, or Hairston, or even Cujo. Man Pears stinks.

Detroit really missed Calvin Johnson, as their offense wasn't even close to what it is with him healthy. The Detroit Kicker, OH Henry. Thanks for sucking :lol:

I wish carpenter would have made that first field goal, it looked like he was upset beforehand. I think if calvin johnson and bush had stayed in the game, it would have been a much different game

Apparently Carpenter complained that a fan was shining a laser pointer in his eye during that missed FG.

Or ton showed in one game why we have a chance to get into playoffs. Nice to have a QB that throws like a man. Urbik had to start at rg next game. Cyril, shows me promise n size n does not quit. I'd figure a way to get Kujo, Hairston training at God slots but Urbik should go in next game. Sammy looked great n wait till our red zone offense starts utilizing Mike Williams. Time for Grag to get more Pzt as can't stand Chandler who falls after he catches anything it seems.

Nice post, Bill.

My thoughts on the game, in no particular order.

1] Robert Woods tries his ass off, always blocks downfield, works for every yard.

2] Dareus best game of his career.

3] This is exactly what we want from Orton, the good and the bad. That's the guy he is and that's all we need.

4] If EJ throws that pass to Sammy in the last minute and we win, fans say EJ still sucks because he threw a bad pass with a miracle catch.

5] It was amazing that with three guys (Hughes, Dareus, Mario) rushing, they bullrushed Stafford on almost every play. As fans, we constantly yell to blitz more, always. Well we never blitzed, I remember one, total, of one player. And yet we got a great rush, seven or so sacks and it won the game. Don't listen to fans.

6] That's why you make the Watkins trade. He's a star. It has nothing to do with QB or EJ or next year. For 5-10 years he's going to be a star. There are not a lot of stars.

7] Our OL stinks, interior of course.

8] Orton's audible on the 2 pt conversion was just brilliant.

9] Fred is immortal.

10] Marrone, Orton, Spikes, Fred, etc, kept the team focused after being down 14-0 on the road and the team responded well. That may have been the best and most lastly element of this game.

11] Carpenter's kick probably would have broken the all-time record in the NFL. It was good from 65.

12] Hackett was frustrating for sure, but the run, run, run strategy got some great plays like the TD to Gragg. We had 350 yards. We won the game. I was frustrated to no end, too. But they ultimately did it.

If you want some entertainment this evening in b/w the Jets and Pats* games, the Lions GTD meltdown is great.

http://www.detroitli...read.php?t=6601

My favorites:

ORTON schooled Stafford and showed him how to play QB. If you didn't see it you weren't paying attention.

The Bills are looking a lot better with him at QB than the Lions are with Stafford.

Orton had 10 different receivers catch balls and spread the ball around beautifully. Without CJ Stafford is a f*cking turd.

I have no faith that Stafford will do anything. He's no Orton.

Edited by YoloinOhio

- Robert Woods plays with as much guts, attitude, and intensity as you can ask for.

- Sammy Watkins may yet convince me that Whaley deserves a pass on the trade up as it relates to the QB situation.

- There were at least two (3 if you count the "late hit" by Brown) egregious calls. I usually give refs the benefit of the doubt, but the holding call on Gilmore and no call on blatant PI on Watkins were inexcusable.

- Fred Jackson is the heart and soul of this team.

- Why continue to hand off to Spiller when it clearly isn't working?

- I love Kyle Orton.

- Robert Woods plays with as much guts, attitude, and intensity as you can ask for.

- Sammy Watkins may yet convince me that Whaley deserves a pass on the trade up as it relates to the QB situation.

- There were at least two (3 if you count the "late hit" by Brown) egregious calls. I usually give refs the benefit of the doubt, but the holding call on Gilmore and no call on blatant PI on Watkins were inexcusable.

- Fred Jackson is the heart and soul of this team.

- Why continue to hand off to Spiller when it clearly isn't working?

- I love Kyle Orton.

I hope someone asks Marrone this in his press conference

Gotta keep them honest at the end of the game when they know youre passing. They know Fred/CJ can rattle off a 30 yarder at anytime (even though they didnt today). I have issues with the playcalling all day, but I understand sticking to the run.

I don't remember ever agreeing more, but I tend to be agreeable after a win. I'm with you most on #2 - how is that NOT interference on the throw to Sammy? It appeared to be the text book definition of interference, and it was an important play. Beyond that, I'm happy this young and talented team seems to be learning how to win. And, of course, I'm all over #16 and #17.

P.S. A good kicker is worth every penny!

Edited by Augie

They clearly have not figured out how to give Spiller the ball in space . That should get Hachett fired right there.

Play calling had me shaking my head at times

But the Bills D tho. AWESOME only gave up 7 points !!

Well Done Ralph on the FG's blocks and the extra wind on Dan's Game winner.

Exactly. Orton did nothing better or worse than Ej. The ol needs work. Sammy is going to be worth way more than what we gave up. Two stellar defenses battled, one team had a horrible kicker, we didn't and we frigging won!!!!

As far as #7

To be fair, EJ has dropped one or two in there like that as well. Maybe overly defensive of the kid but lets not give up on him yet.

Long time lurker. First time poster.

I just wanted to say that the offense looked different today. You can usually see Woods look dejected after a bad pass, but as some of you folks have noted, he was playing his butt off. I like the screen looks from Orton to Fred. Remember when Spiller was used like this a lot? I think this needs to be used more.

Overall, I think the team was fired up for the change at QB and it was reflected today.

Go Bills!

Was anyone else furious about the timeout call on our 2nd to last drive after Orton hit Sammy over the middle to get us into Detroit territory? There's no way you shouldn't let the clock keep running there and ensure we are the last to hold the ball. Easily forgotten given all the craziness that ensued afterwards, but we could have had a first down at the Detroit 40 with appx 45 seconds left and instead we call timeout with - 1:18 maybe? - and promptly go 3 and out from there.

are you serious?! that is seriously messed up, im so glad he hit that 58 yarder. Stadium security needs to do something about that

I don't have a link to confirm it, but there was a tweet from a reporter that showed up in the shoutbox (forget by whom). But I remember seeing Carpenter signaling to his eyes to the ref after the kick when he wasn't touched, so it makes sense to me. Scummy move.

We have been playing possum for 50 years.

:lol: :lol:

My simplistic thoughts:

1. Our WR block like total crap!

2. that inside draw works OK with Jackson and is terrible with Spiller

3. Isn't there a way to use Jackson and Spiller together using motion to get the match you want? Spiller vs a linebacker in space

4. The defense was huge, they deserve an offense that can score 20+ points

5. Carpenter is great

6. I hate complaining but the officials were terrible and the Bills shoot themselves in the foot too often is horribly timed penalties

7. Glad Megatron was human today, he was basically a decoy before his was hit into being a fan

8. Is that was decent QB play looks like minus one god awful play

GO BILLS! 3-2 with a monster game next week

Good stuff Bill.

Orton looked rusty early, then settled down. Already looks like he has been starting all year. Looks like EJ may make it to his 3rd season and be, still, "technically a rookie", eh?

Gilmore made an interdeption thrown right to him (and nowhere near the WR that had run by him. Nothing wrong with that. The holding penalty on him was bogus. But otherwise, he was not very good. Leodis had a nice play at the goal line (looked like a fumble to me). Otherwise, the usual--playing 5 yards off a guy catching a 3rd and 9 1st down pass. These guys shouldn't both be starting.

CJ is a third testicle at this point. People saying he can "rip off a 30 yarder" or "he can take it to the house at any time" are delusional. It just hasn't panned out that way, ever.

Having said that, this OC is still holding this team back, I think. This team has scored 7 offensive TDs in 5 games

Maybe with a new QB and a bit more time, his ideas will change. Running Spiller up the middle doesn't soften up the D for the passing game. It just wastes a down. If Fred needs a breather, put in a more physical back for tha play. Also, out FG kicker is the main source of points, still. If the Lions had a comepetent FG kicker, we lose this game.

Sammy will leave now doubt why he was picked where he was....

1) Gotta start with a shout out to Carpenter. That kick was miraculous! Just freaking great!!!!! And it had a few yards left!

2) In the middle of the 3rd quarter, Watkins was mauled by the defender. The flag was tossed by the official who was RIGHT THERE and picked up. Is that how this works? The league should look into this. I HATE complaining about calls, but this was simply outrageous. Sadly, more to come on this topic.

3) Marcel Dareus played the game of his life. On his sack for a forced fumble, he was clearly held. Today, this kid was every single thing we wanted him to be in every way.

4) Here is the deal wrt Pears. He is an average Right Tackle. He doesn't suck at RT. He has no business playing Guard. NONE! But he retaliated on the late hit by Fairley, and he is a tough guy. I respect him for fighting for his teammates.

5) Help on the way,

I know only this;

I've got you today

Don't fly away.....

'cause I love what I love

and I want it that way.

6) Watkins was just SO good today, I am going to re-evaluate the trade, which I was totally against.

7) Orton? I need more time to sort out what he does. We probably all do. But his pass to Goodwin was each and every bit as good as it gets, no?

8) Woods was blocking his ass off today. He threw a block on a run by FJ in the 3rd quarter that MADE the play.

9) Schwartz was another person who confused me today. At the end of the first qtr., they rushed only 3 on 3rd and 8 and gave up a td. I KNOW that Pettine would have applied more pressure. That said, his defensive calls overall were VERY good imo. Let's face it, the defense kept us in the game, so I am going to give credit and thanks.

10) Have I blasted Gilmore when I saw fit to do so? Certainly. Well, the pass interference call against him in the 2nd quarter was absolute BS!!!!! If anything, Johnson hit him in his facemask. The truth is that he played a decent game today and this football team needs him to step up. I am thrilled to see him play well.

11) OK, I have a confession to make. I watched the game today in a crowded place. After one of Marcel's brutal sacks I yelled, "He's my son!" People were looking at me and the replay and gave me some room and strange looks. Yeah, I am a Bills fan.

12) Sorry, I am pissed at the fact that we had 2 delay penalties in the first quarter. We are not a good enough team to do this and win on a consistent basis.

13) Spiller was awful today. He can't see a hole. He dances and gains 2, if that.

14) Thank you Jerry Hughes for giving it your all on every play!!!!! Seriously, you go!!!

15) There is nothing that grabs me more than when the Bills fight back. Not one f*&^%$g thing. It makes them better people, better players, and it is what WE deserve as fans.

16) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we bring in Incognito already, this FO is so stubborn

Thanks Bill!

Long time lurker. First time poster.

I just wanted to say that the offense looked different today. You can usually see Woods look dejected after a bad pass, but as some of you folks have noted, he was playing his butt off. I like the screen looks from Orton to Fred. Remember when Spiller was used like this a lot? I think this needs to be used more.

Overall, I think the team was fired up for the change at QB and it was reflected today.

Go Bills!

welcome!