A Few Thougts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

he's repeated that stat in three different threads now, it must be important.

I'm just so frustrated with the entire grouping of people that if EJ isn't 30-35 with 350 yards and 4 TDs and no sacks allowed that he's a bad QB

Yes he played badly. It's not the end of the world. Get over it. I swear some of you come across that nothing in your life can ever be good that all you wait for is the negative so I can go "see see I told you so, he sucks". Let it go!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The o line did suck today. So much, that I think their play was a big reason for the loss. Too much pressure on EJ early on led to EJ throwing the ball too soon later in the game. Receivers were getting open but the ball wasn't where it needed to be. Too many frickin penalties. Gilmore is about as average as you can get. The play where he got the facemask penalty was brutal in so many ways. He lost outside containment, gets flagged, and gets hurt.

We need better guards. An online can't really be clicking without guards that can get push and pull

Well, he had a bad game.

I challenge anyone to comb through this board's archives to find me the fans who expected him to be perfect.

The OL is partially to blame. Whether the lack of quality play or the play scheming, they were lousy.

CJ did very little today. He had a bad game.

The o line did suck today. So much, that I think their play was a big reason for the loss. Too much pressure on EJ early on led to EJ throwing the ball too soon later in the game. Receivers were getting open but the ball wasn't where it needed to be. Too many frickin penalties. Gilmore is about as average as you can get. The play where he got the facemask penalty was brutal in so many ways. He lost outside containment, gets flagged, and gets hurt.

The Bills have spent high draft picks on O-Line and Gilmore. It's not as if these positions aren't being treated as priorities. For some reason, these highly drafted players all decided to have a bad day at the same time.

EJ was real bad today, and I'm pretty sure he's wanted for accessory to homicide on that ball to Goodwin. Yikes. Pears was awful, as were most of the interior lineman for the offense. The Defense made stops but not enough plays. Rivers is real good, and the Chargers are the best team the Bills have faced to date -- which isn't much of a silver lining but shouldn't be forgotten. Penalties were killer but man, EJ was terrible.

/ramble

sorry they didn't win, but at least you got to spend time with him.

happy birthday to him!

Y, seems that become our mantra after each loss. My brother and I have flown in for years to take him to a game around his birthday, last 10 or so have brought our sons. We'be seen some real stinkers (incl the 6-3 Cleve game), but always nice to go to a game with 3 generations. Just wish they would frigging win more often when we go! :P

The OL is partially to blame. Whether the lack of quality play or the play scheming, they were lousy.

Guard play was particularly poor today. Little to no push. Wonder how long before we see Richardson in there.

GO BILLS!!!

About the play calling, it wasn't that bad but EJ was missing plays again. He left some big plays out there . One I think was to Woods if he had held the ball for a fraction more would have been a huge gainer.

The OL was terrible today.

I think more than anything the Bills got out-coached today. SD was able to get mis-matches all game against our LB's.

First time this year we missed Kiko. If we had him it would have made a HUGE difference.

We need better guards. An online can't really be clicking without guards that can get push and pull

I couldn't agree more, and wish that Levitre was still on this football team.

That said, Spiller is what he is. He's a very fast runner with very small strides. He has great moves but cannot see holes at times, and this is what stops him from being great.

I cannot understand why they keep using him up the middle for gains of 2, yet they do it constantly.

Btw, imo if they activate Bryce Brown, we are going to be happy but hey.....I could be wrong.

So now we're going to cherry pick stats? CJ had what? 25 yards rushing? It's difficult for ANY qb to pass well when there isn't a solid rushing game to count on.

Call me whatever you want, but this ridiculous mob mentality and crusade against our QB because he had a bad game is just some of the dumbest nonsense I've ever heard.

Maybe it had something to do with the Chargers run blitzing and stacking the box with 8 all day, yeah no chit the Bills could not run, SD dared EJ to beat them, he couldn't, wasn't even close. EJ was HORRIBLE today!

12) EJ goes down just a bit too easy for someone his size, especially on running plays.

What?!?!? Did you sleep through last season where every time he fought for extra yards he missed the next several games???

He is a QB not a RB. He needs to get what he can get then slide or get out of bounds.

Manuel SUCKED today to be sure. But putting his head down and/or fighting for extra yards for a QB is flat out stupid and the best way to lose not just games, but seasons.

EJ was terrible. Worst play of the day was 4th quarter, Jackson gets the Bills to a 3rd and 1 situation and has to leave slightly shook up. So they bring in Spiller... AND PUT EJ IN THE SHOTGUN.

Then hand the ball to Spiller with zero momentum going forward and 4 yards behind the line. The play call was so stunningly awful that I wonder what kind of offensive coaching EJ gets. The right call was at least to hand off to a RB moving forward. Of course, EJ tucked it in to Spiller and they lost 4 yards. Then EJ threw the 4th and 4 to no one in particular.

You should re-watch that play. So many things went wrong.

1) The playcall itself was absurdly predictable.

2) Fred Jackson was supposed to be in, but pulled himself out because he was banged up. He called for Spiller, who looked surprised and rushed on the field.

3) The ball was handed off to Spiller and Pears was pushed 3 yards backwards into Spiller.

sorry they didn't win, but at least you got to spend time with him.

happy birthday to him!

Y, seems that become our mantra after each loss. My brother and I have flown in for years to take him to a game around his birthday, last 10 or so have brought our sons. We'be seen some real stinkers (incl the 6-3 Cleve game), but always nice to go to a game with 3 generations. Just wish they would frigging win more often when we go! :P

Maybe it had something to do with the Chargers run blitzing and stacking the box with 8 all day, yeah no chit the Bills could not run, SD dared EJ to beat them, he couldn't, wasn't even close. EJ was HORRIBLE today!

So humor me. What is your expectation for a QB with 12 career starts? In fact, any of the posters on the anti EJ crusade please, lay out the expectations for him or ANY QB with 12 career starts.

EJ is just not an NFL QB

Gilmore flat out sucks

The interior of this O-line is terrible especially in the run game even Wood

Just like old times when the best player on the field for the Bills today was their punter

We are a running team. We aren't running.

Out success in the running game is largely over rated by a break or two in the run game. The fact is that we don't run the ball well enough to sustain drives regularly. Because of this out offensive identity is flaud.

Gilmore remains terrible and has an equally bad twin on the other side of the field.

It's not so much how much time EJ takes to throw it's how inaccurate his throws are. He regularly misses open receivers on 2-3 yard throws, which is rather mind boggling, cannot go deep, and continually throws high, away, or on the wrong side of receivers who have to adjust or break pattern, even when they catch the ball. He drives me, for one, nuts as probobly does his coaches and team mates although they'd likely never publicly admit it. And yes, why would you start a slide a yard short of the first down marker when no one is about to tackle you.

We were out coached. Their game plan was excellent. And their QB played like a 10 year vet who has been to a few Pro Bowls. With good wide receivers. Ours played like a 2nd year guy with a shoddy game plan.

I hope they learn a few things from this game. I agree with the post about that play on 3rd and 1. Big play. Bad play call. A first down would have come in handy.

San Diego is a better team.

I couldn't agree more, and wish that Levitre was still on this football team.

That said, Spiller is what he is. He's a very fast runner with very small strides. He has great moves but cannot see holes at times, and this is what stops him from being great.

I cannot understand why they keep using him up the middle for gains of 2, yet they do it constantly.

Btw, imo if they activate Bryce Brown, we are going to be happy but hey.....I could be wrong.

i'm guessing they have something going by way of a real quick cross block, or some stunt, that they think can spring CJ into the secondary.. and it does make next week's DC use 20 minutes of this week's practice to coach on it.

..and by the way, i always enjoy the way your weekly post creates discussion here..

So humor me. What is your expectation for a QB with 12 career starts? In fact, any of the posters on the anti EJ crusade please, lay out the expectations for him or ANY QB with 12 career starts.

Ahh yes the old, 12 career starts thing, so! How many starts has undrafted free agent rookie Austin Davis of the Rams had? How many more lame excuses can you create for EJ? Why don't you humor me, the excuses sticking up for this bum are very humorous. Keep them coming!

Edited by old school

Top 5 reasons we lost today:

1) EJ

2) EJ

3) OL

4) CB's

5) EJ

Right. EJ didn't generate enough pass rush. EJ should have covered the SD receivers better. EJ should have gotten the SD off the field on 3rd downs. EJ shoundn't have committed so many key penalties to keep SD drives alive. EJ, EJ, EJ! It's all his fault. :doh:

I put this game on the coaching staff.

If almost every player has a bad day, then it's probably not the players, but the plan that didn't work (unless you're just playing a far superior team, which I don't think San Diego is...

they're better than us right now, but not unbeatable). Yes, there were plays to be had that the players didn't execute and they're not forgiven for that, and EJ definitely did not look

good today (made some big mistakes), but really, the coaches got out-coached by the San Diego staff.

In the first half, SD knew exactly where to exploit. They knew we were going to key on Gates and they were ready for it,

throwing a lot of swing passes and dump offs and because we were shading Gates, those 3 or 4 yard plays were gaining 10-12 yards.

That, plus runs to the edges, helped neutralize our pass rush and D-Line.

Preston Brown was a huge liability today in the intermediate passing game and that was another area that Rivers exploited often in the first half.

Yet Buffalo left him in there, running 5 yards behind the guys he was supposed to be covering. (I don't blame the player, he's a rookie in his third

game, left doing something he obviously isn't yet comfortable with or doesn't fit his skill set.)

And how late in the game was it before Schwartz started sending extra pressure?

Marrone played a conservative game again. Last week it worked, today it didn't. Not giving your team a chance to get points before the half

is too conservative when you're being thoroughly outplayed. And they waited too long to give EJ a chance to open it up, when we clearly were

going to have to start passing the ball to have a chance to win. It might not have helped, if EJ was just off today, but I'd rather go down swinging.

Hacket, et al., need to figure out how to use CJ and Fred better...their rotation is often puzzling. And how about trying Boobie or Bryce on first downs if

you're going to run up the gut every time. EJ is hooked on throwing balls high and letting his guys go after it, but the coaches have to get him to

bring those balls down. He's overthrowing and going to get his receivers killed. And why didn't the Bills do the same thing with Sammy that SD did

with Gates. Use Sammy as the decoy (after his big game last week) and set the game up to go through Woods, Chandler, and Williams on short, quick passes.

The adjustments just came too late from the coaching staff today when the original game plan wasn't working.

Having said all of that, this is a young team that is still growing (including the coaching staff). I always expected this team to get better as the year went on. So, being 2-1 against three good

teams is not a bad start. We all probably just expected too much too soon after all the emotion of last week. They've just got to learn from this game and then put it behind them. I still Billeve!

the O-Line was not very good today. Our secondary was atrocious. McKelvin continues to be average at best. Gilmore gets one more year before he falls into the same category. Robey is OK, Graham was a non-factor. Williams is ok, but you feel the loss of Byrd in these type of games.

I can easily pick apart EJ, but this was a team loss, not an EJ loss.

Right. EJ didn't generate enough pass rush. EJ should have covered the SD receivers better. EJ should have gotten the SD off the field on 3rd downs. EJ shoundn't have committed so many key penalties to keep SD drives alive. EJ, EJ, EJ! It's all his fault. :doh:

you can take shelter in "our conerbacks suck" thread....no wait there's even comments in there about EJ. :lol:

It took 4 years for Rivers to reach the level he's at now...2 years as a back up and another 2 as a starter. His fifth year was great and he sustained it.

The game has changed significantly since Rivers started playing well circa 2006. Rules changes make it easier for QBs to succeed earlier. That said, comparing Manuel in 2014 isn't exactly like Rivers in 2006, but it's not totally unlike either.

I think Marrone must be losing the locker room.

Manuel will if he keeps throwing passes that can or do get receivers killed.

Ahh yes the old, 12 career starts thing, so! How many starts has undrafted free agent rookie Austin Davis of the Rams had? How many more lame excuses can you create for EJ? Why don't you humor me, the excuses sticking up for this bum are very humorous. Keep them coming!

So you don't have an answer. A lot of words but no answer to my question. Typical.

You can't see where he also blames OL and CB's.. :flirt:

EJ stunk, the O-line stunk, the DB's were bad but i thought the D made enough stops in the 2nd half to give the O a chance.

No way San Diego should fly across country in to OUR house, with OUR windy weather... with 2 nobody RB's left on their roster...and dominate the Bills. Hats off to coach McCoy (who i really like)..and Reich of course and the San Diego D. They were dominant and more physical.

EJ stunk, the O-line stunk, the DB's were bad but i thought the D made enough stops in the 2nd half to give the O a chance.

No way San Diego should fly across country in to OUR house, with OUR windy weather... with 2 nobody RB's left on their roster...and dominate the Bills. Hats off to coach McCoy (who i really like)..and Reich of course and the San Diego D. They were dominant and more physical.

Probably the truest statement I've seen. They came into the Ralph and smacked us in the mouth and no one had an answer from the coaching staff down to the players.