A fascinating bit of conjecture re: Ralph's plans for the team

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Every Bills fan should read that.

I'm not sure if the true story is quite as dramatic as the author makes it out to be, but there is no question that Mr. Wilson kept his word to WNY, and then some. He knew exactly what he was doing in getting that lease pushed through, and I shake my head in disbelief at people who still refuse to give him his due credit.

I want to believe every word of it - how Ralph realized the other owners would accept things that they did not understand and used that against them to basically trick them into accepting something that would forbid everything they all wanted...

Every Bills fan should read that.

I'm not sure if the true story is quite as dramatic as the author makes it out to be, but there is no question that Mr. Wilson kept his word to WNY, and then some. He knew exactly what he was doing in getting that lease pushed through, and I shake my head in disbelief at people who still refuse to give him his due credit.

Agreed. Every Bills fan needs to read this. One of the best articles I've read!

I wouldn't take it too literally but from a 10k foot view he is right on. Everything was structured in a manner to secure the team in WNY. There was not some secret ploy to deceive other owners and they didn't have some secret plan to move the team. The reality is that they don't really have too much of a say what happens to the Bills. RW left the team in a position to remain in WNY based on the steps that he took along the way (lease, trust, etc...).

As Kirby alluded to above, this is a good story from a distance (I'm saying that based on his comment...I have no 'sources.'). However, it seems like Good old Ralph was a bit craftier than folks like to believe. He certainly had a plan and this is probably a good outline.

In that thought, how cool would it be for someone to read the linked post (or something similar) at the end of Ralph's ceremony on Sunday? Somebody with a little passion and flare that knows how to build drama and play a crowd. The place would erupt at the end. I'm sure the NFL wouldn't like it...but they've got enough on their plate right now.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

I wouldn't take it too literally but from a 10k foot view he is right on. Everything was structured in a manner to secure the team in WNY. There was not some secret ploy to deceive other owners and they didn't have some secret plan to move the team. The reality is that they don't really have too much of a say what happens to the Bills. RW left the team in a position to remain in WNY based on the steps that he took along the way (lease, trust, etc...).

I thought that was clearly obvious. I don't know why people need to make up theories that debunk something plain & clear.

The only thing we have not found out is if Ralph left anything to players he promised he would take care of.

Ralph did it the way he wanted - no need for anyone to have the details just because press was constantly asking questions.

Good article if some of it is speculation. Wonder if TV movie rights were sold. :flirt:

that was a good article/posting and in the catagory of man of his word Ralph is at or near the top of the list, He will always be remembered with a smile on our face for keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

If we ever want to start a forum catagory on building a team or what ever it takes to win he's nowhere near the top

What a great article! For a long time I was pissed at Ralph. I always wanted him to come out and say that he would give a hometown discount or something to assure that the Bills would never leave. I thought he was pretty callous about saying that the Bills would be sold upon his death with no assurances that they would stay here.

Back then, I envisioned someday making a trip to piss on his grave for letting the Bills leave. Now, I believe that it was all posturing for the benefit of the league and the other owners. He had the team shackled to Buffalo all along. He just couldn't publicly say it. It really makes sense now and makes me feel terrible for doubting someone who always was committed to a city that was not even his home.

As others have said, a good story, maybe only loosely based in fact. But that worked for Shawshank Redemption! If if really was an "FU" to the other NFL owners, the pending vote on a Pegula ownership might not be as certain as it feels right now...rememebef, 24 other owners have to be on board with this... I feel indebted to Mr Wilson for facilitating the Bills long tenure in Buffalo, but I have little doubt that his desire to keep the Bills where he built them did not include doing anything detrimental to the league that he helped build.

As others have said, a good story, maybe only loosely based in fact. But that worked for Shawshank Redemption! If if really was an "FU" to the other NFL owners, the pending vote on a Pegula ownership might not be as certain as it feels right now...rememebef, 24 other owners have to be on board with this... I feel indebted to Mr Wilson for facilitating the Bills long tenure in Buffalo, but I have little doubt that his desire to keep the Bills where he built them did not include doing anything detrimental to the league that he helped build.

I think the current disarray in the NFL works in our favor. The last thing they need is to appear to be manipulating anything. Can you imagine the outcry if the NFL owners 'rejected' Pegula and crushed the football faithful of Buffalo? Everyone roots for the underdog (at least most do). I think we'd have overwhelming public support if they tried anything funny at this point.

I thought that was clearly obvious. I don't know why people need to make up theories that debunk something plain & clear.

Thank you. Exactly.

The one thing is, however, if you really didn't follow it closely, and you really didn't know how Ralph worked all these years, it's understandable to just imagine that he wouldn't do what he did. My issue was always with people who did seem to follow it closely, and then come up with some sinister or cynical plan to just screw the fans and the city.

I don't think it was an FU to the owners as the story portrays, however.

Thank you. Exactly.

The one thing is, however, if you really didn't follow it closely, and you really didn't know how Ralph worked all these years, it's understandable to just imagine that he wouldn't do what he did. My issue was always with people who did seem to follow it closely, and then come up with some sinister or cynical plan to just screw the fans and the city.

I don't think it was an FU to the owners as the story portrays, however.

Yup. People get emotional when it comes to Wilson's legacy. But I don't need to make up the stories. He was the perfect definition of a mercurial owner. He was loyal to the team and the region, but was a horrible manager. He made a lot of money by delivering a mediocre product. But he didn't waiver in his intent to keep the team in place for a long time, well beyond his passing. The last lease is proof perfect, It's a public document. There are no hidden agendas. It's as one sided to the state as can be to ensure that the team can't leave. The NFL saw the lease. It was clear as day that it had very hard exit terms. NFL was ok with the lease.

Same goes with the sale process. The NFL was along for the entire ride. It was clear that the mandate was to sell to a party that would keep the team in WNY. There were no hidden agendas. No gotchas.

To the end, this was a fitting finale for Ralph Wilson Jr.

Great read. That part about everyone calling him a crazy old nutcase because of his concerns (lack of understanding) about the CBA still ticks me off. Did anyone later come out and say "Ralph was the voice of reason and we were the fools?". If so, it certainly was not as loud as the snickering!

Yeah...I think that the disdain from the other owners for Buffalo has always been a bit overblown. I mean, sure some of the guys probably resented that Ralph was always right even when he went against them all, but still they probably weren't about to go out of their way to disrespect his final wishes.

Anyway I think if one thing is clear it's that Ralph was not letting this team ever move. If anything he should be pointed to as an example during this whole Goodell/Rice fiasco. It's pretty sad that he's barely a blip on the radar during this whole time. We'll see if they devote any time on the networks on Sunday.

I wrote a little something about it myself if anyone cares to read.

I've always thought the Bills leaving was pretty much a load of crap . Really, think about it, does Buffalo tarp their upper deck routinely in the regular season like Jacksonville? The Raiders, in that piece of crap 60s stadium, with that owner who has it in his blood to move to greener pastures. Both way more prime candidates for relocation than the Bills. Toronto had their audition and it failed miserably. You can even throw San Diego in, with a tax base not crazy about higher taxes, with Los Angeles ready to pounce on a built in fan base for the Chargers. Buffalo fans, don't sell yourselves short. We're are still here despite 14 years---the longest playoff drought in team history.....Buffalo Bills team history. Yes, we are still here. Still rooting with all our hearts.

I'm no cynic, but I will call em' like I see em', and it hasn't been pretty in Bill's land for some time. But it does warm my Buffalo heart to read this. I say this as someone who moved away...and here's something you rarely hear, I wish I was back tomorrow. This opening day is so special, against MIami by fate. This is definetly Mr. Wilson's time This is a time to honor the man, who built this amazing fan base. Put aside the kool-aid drinkers vs. the realists for this weekend. That's different opinions about the front office and coaching....it wouldnt be interesting if we all agreed... bottom line......we are all fans or we would'nt be here.

Go Bills!!!!

Squish the Fish!!!!!

Edited by billsfan714