I'm hoping we bottom out this year: 0-16. Here's why.

That may be what they mean, but it's still incorrect. The team tried to hire Mike Shanahan; he passed. They tried to hire Bill Cowher; he passed. They tried to hire Chip Kelly; he passed.

It's never been an issue of spending.

And to clarify, I'm not one the people who believe that, that was just my impression of them. To play devil's advocate they would probably say that we didn't offer them enough to come here. I can't remember what we offered them (or if it was even made public), but that would be the logic of their argument. I too, think it's unfounded and untrue.

Edited by Mark80

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to clarify, I'm not one the people who believe that, that was just my impression of them. To play devil's advocate they would probably say that we didn't offer them enough to come here. I can't remember what we offered them (or if it was even made public), but that would be the logic of their argument. I too, think it's unfounded and untrue.

Sure, I gotcha...I don't know for sure, but I seem to remember it being reported that Shanahan was offered $7M/year, same as what he eventually signed for in Washington.

Edit: Found this link from Carucci saying Wilson wanted to spend up to $10M/year on Shanahan...

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/11/25/nfl-com-wilson-ready-to-spend-big/

Edited by thebandit27

Look, if the team sucks then no tickets are sold

No tickets, no team.

Make up your mind....keep the team or Play horse shoes on the weekend

Odd. The Bills have sucked for 12 years and how many blackouts have they had in that time?

If we're hoping, wouldn't it just be easier to hope that a light goes off and Manuel looks like a future HoFer? Hoping for the worst season in franchise history in hope that some "fix" is on the way is beyond idiotic.

For real - not sure why some have to hope for the worst vs hoping for the best.

I get it, the OP doesn't think that the current situation will work out, ok, but is that really a reason to HOPE FOR THE WORST? Hope for the best, but know that whatever is going to happen is going to happen, and you'll stay much less stressed and be much happier.

I mean, the season's coming you might as well get on board and at least try to enjoy it regardless of how it all plays out...

Rooting for 0-16 at any time is idiotic.

Rooting for it when you don't have a first round pick is truly moronic.

The explanation given for this opinion displays someone without a clue who has far too much time on his hands.

This organization is like the tree in your backyard that's dying. Oh sure, there are some branches with some green leaves on it, but by and large it's dead. You know it's dead, and the only thing to do is call a tree guy to come cut it down, chip it up, grind the stump, and give you the bill for it.

That's the Bills for you right there--oh sure, Sammy Watkins may be great, Dareus is a pro bowler, Spiller has looked good in places... there's some healthy young, green leaf growth right there. But the trunk? Dead. And before you jump down my throat and say "Is this another Kiko post? lol" consider the following--there was a point during the offseason (before the Byrd negotiations) where Marrone let it leak that there is a rift between the bean counters and the football guys. Well, I'll lump them all together: everyone must go.

See, here's the thing: I may be the biggest optimist on here. When the Bills are there usual 4-8, I'm the one on ESPN.com's playoff calculator figuring out just how easy it will be for the Bills to steal the 6 seed. I'm the one staying up to watch the Chargers/Bengals games in week 15, because it impacts the chances of the Bills getting a wild-card at 7-9. But not this year.

On offense: we lost our best receiver. Yes, our best receiver. I dont care about his antics, or what you think a true number 1 receiver should look like. It doesn't matter--Stevie Johnson was our biggest producer on offense over the last 3 years, and he's gone. Who will replace him? It's a gamble, but for whatever reason, Whaley saw fit to ship out our most productive offensive weapon. Our best running back is now a year older and 30 is long-since faded out of his rear-view mirror. We are, at this point in time, worse on offense. Oh sure, there's potential to be better, but for now, we are worse.

On defense: our coordinator, gone. our best safety, gone. our best linebacker, done for the season. our best d-lineman, in trouble with the law. this is a problem. The strength of our 5-11 unit is now weaker. this is undeniable. do not try to tell me that i am a glass half empty person, this point is irrefutable: our defense is weaker.

special teams: an absolute disaster last season, remains largely intact. Same coaching. this is also a problem.

And most importantly (as everyone will note) our quarterback, because this is what our season hinges on, right?: missed too many games to injury last season, a major major problem that Bills fans seem to be in denial about. 3 knee injuries in one season? THREE KNEE INJURIES IN ONE SEASON? If that happened to Brady, we would be dancing in the street. But in Buffalo? That's cause for optimism because he "hasn't had a full season to show us what he can do yet!" Well, in the limited time he did have to show us what he could do, he was middling. a .500 qb at best, who looks like he needs to be surrounded by an extremely talented cast to succeed. He is not a game changer, he is not elite, he can not put this team on his back and take us to the Super Bowl. It's not happening, and in your heart, you know that's true.

So a 5-11 team (please note the 1 game regression from Gailey's teams--we got worse, not better) who is weaker across the board, is going to turn it around this year? What, may I ask, in the last 15 years, has given you ANY indication whatsoever, that that is going to happen? It isnt. But for the first time ever, this is now a good thing. A new owner will inherit this train wreck. And after another typical, awful 4-12 Bills train wreck, there will finally be some accountability.

And it starts right with the golden boy GM, because our rebuild will have to be put off ANOTHER year--with no first round draft pick in next years selection meeting, we suddenly will be the most pathetic franchise in the NFL. If we truly, truly bottom out, (and im talking 0-16 here folks) that should be all the impetus that is needed to drop an a-bomb at one bills drive and clean house. everyone: from russ to the ball boys.

Sorry to piss in your coffee this morning, but I've been thinking about this a lot since OTA's. But ask yourself this: are the pieces in place for this team to win a super bowl? Do you think EJ Manuel can be a Super Bowl winning quarterback? Ask yourself that. Don't just hit reply and tell me the sky isn't falling: ask yourself if you can picture EJ Manuel hoisting the lombardi trophy. If you're older than a 4th grader, the answer is likely "no."

So open your mind. Let's be happy when Pegula takes over ownership, and then let's just enjoy this season for what it is: the curtain call for Bills football as we've known it for 2 decades. Yes, it's going to be painful to watch us struggle this year, and yes it's going to be even worse next offseason knowing we don't have a first round pick, but good times are on the horizon.

You Mad Bro ?

Thats a lot of pent up hostilty there mister : )

I am glad the board allows such a broad perspective of opinions. I truly do enjoy that leniency. This is hanging it out there Johnny .

For anyone who bitched about the OP , just notice how many responded .

I dont need to crituque this line of thought " 0-16 ' because it has been covered here ad nauseum hasnt it J G. ?

You dont come off as much of a fan. Maybe you had not noticed , so i wanted to mention that here.

GO BILLS

Edited by 3rdand12

Firstly, it sounds like someone started hitting the sauce early this holiday weekend!!! You don't quite sound like the optimist that you claim to be... Not even barely a realist...

As to your claims of the sky falling... (Please keep in mind that I am not trying to say that things are great and and we have everyone we need too to bottom...)

- my dying tree is in my front yard, the guy is actually coming this month to take it down...

- best DL is Dareus?? Really??? We can argue to Kyle's merit -> (Mrags) but I think that Mario is far and away our best DL...

- key additions to combat your talk of key losses

Spikes- he single handedly bolsters our run d. Far and wide one of the top LB's against the run, which, as you've seen and know, is why our D struggles last year...

Watkins is slightly more than a green leaf on my dying tree... You claim that we lost our biggest offensive weapon in Stevie... Watkins projects (yes projects, as he has yet to play a game) as a much better WR than Stevie... So I consider that a gain, not a loss.

OL is deeper and has more quality than it has had across the board in YEARS!

DC is a much more proven DC than Pettine was. Pettine had one year out of the shadow from Rex and cashed it in for a head coaching job... If he was that stud DC that you think he was, don't you think he would have had a scheme to keep us from being 30th in the league against the run? Oh, run D... That's Schwartz forte....

Yup, we lost Byrd... "Is that a Byrd, a plane?? NO! It's Aaron Williams!!" He resurrected his career sliding to S, and while he was forced into CB role a few times due to injury, he has quickly become a damn fine S in this NFL, top 15

Not going to touch the knee injury issue as it could be a fluke... You never know- and the only games he truly played healthy were in the PS...

You mention this team not being a legit Super Bowl candidate... Maybe... Maybe not- any given Sunday, but YES, I can see EJ hoisting the Lombardi trophy... I can also see 6-8 players that would probably be more likely to win the MVP if that were to ever happen... If Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, virtually anyone can.

I don't think that it's fair to insinuate that anything other than a Super Bowl victory (or appearance) is a wasted season... A franchise that hasn't seen playoff football in 14 years should be extremely happy to make it to a wild card game- and that, I would consider a successful season!! A successful season that actually shows hope for the following year, given a healthy, wait for it.... Wait for it... KIKO!!!!

I'm anxious to see your reply... If you indeed were drinking, I won't judge...

So the entire post is "I'm an optimist, and I think we suck, so you should all agree with my opinions or you're 4th graders"?

No, the offense isn't worse. Stevie Johnson wasn't the most productive passing target on the team last year; that was Chandler. It's also short-sighted to say we're worse on offense when we've added Watkins, Bryce Brown, and Anthony Dixon and lost only Johnson (who pretty much any Bills' fan could tell didn't have very good chemistry with Manuel). I also noticed that you conveniently ignored the 4 offensive linemen the team added this off-season.

No, the defense isn't worse. The run D was historically bad, and the team added one of (if not the) best run-stopping LBs in football. Also, Mario Williams is the team's best DLmen, not Dareus. They drafted Preston Brown, Ross Cockrell, and Randell Johnson. They also added Corey Graham and are likely to have Gilmore back at full speed. To say the defense is worse is an assumption, not an undeniable truth as you claim. Jim Schwartz is a very sharp football mind, and had strong defensive success at times in Tennessee.

No, the ST unit isn't the same. The team added specific ST pieces in Dixon and Graham, and should get a boost from the increase in overall team depth.

As to EJ, nobody knows whether or not he's a franchise guy...all I can tell you is that it would be irrefutably ignorant for someone to gauge their opinion based on whether or not they can picture a guy lifting a piece of metal; it would be even greater folly to suggest anyone that can do so is juvenile or unintelligent.

So open your mind. Let's be happy IF Pegula takes ownership (it's not a given), and then let's just enjoy this season for what it is: Buffalo Bills football. No, you have no idea if it'll be painful or fun, a struggle or a success, or whether things will get significantly better this season or next, but I agree that good times are on the horizon.

Pretty sure I just said everything you already had- sorry, read the first thing and got livid...

Nice post Country ^

You seem to have a decent take on the situation

Thank you, sir... My longest winded post to date, lol

To the OP:

I tried to make it through your entire post, I really did. And, my hat's off to all the forum members who took the time to read this twaddle, and thoughtfully reply. But, for me, the stench of smug self-indulgence was too much to take. I was really only able to more, or less skim the wretched thing.

You honestly want to sell the notion that the most enjoyable part of next season should be the bye week? You honestly believe that the best outcome for an organization that is quite possibly on the precipice of being relocated-- possibly several time-zones away-- and is clinging to the depressed economy of Western New York, with wolves at the door, is abject failure?

And let's forget, for the moment, that this is a fan site, and consider the players, themselves. Do you have so little regard for the lives, and careers of the 53 dedicated professionals on our team, that you would wish upon them the ignoble distinction that would come with such an accomplishment? You want them, our team, to be a laughingstock?

And then, at the end of your long, tiresome post, you have the audacity to beseech the fan base of the Buffalo Bills to "open their minds."

Wow.

> If you'd like to re-read it and offer your own summary feel free.

Okay. The OP does not believe the Bills' front office and coaching staff can build a Super Bowl winner. The sooner they get replaced, the sooner the new owner will have the opportunity to put the team on a Super Bowl winning path. If going 0-16 is the price needed to get off the wrong path and onto the right one, the OP is prepared to pay that price with his eyes open.

> I'm sorry, but 4-0 in Bowl games and a YPA and QB rating that was better than Peyton Manning coming out of Tennessee disagrees with that assessment.

In college, Peyton Manning averaged a YPA of 8.1. Tim Tebow's college YPA was 9.4. While I'm not a fan of the QB rating stat, Tebow's college QB rating was 170.8; compared to Peyton Manning's 147.1. YPA, QB rating, and bowl games are not necessarily good tools with which to evaluate college QBs.

The correct way to evaluate college QBs is to watch tape, not crunch statistics. When watching tape, you should look for accuracy, the ability to fit the ball into tight places, the ability to quickly read the field and see multiple targets; and the ability to hit the receiver in stride. Peyton Manning did a very good job with these things in college. Neither Tebow nor Manuel were strong in most of these areas; which is why--despite their gaudy college statistics--neither of them were remotely comparable to Manning as QB prospects.

> while I appreciate your desire to draw conclusions about my thought process without ever asking any questions . . .

How is that any different than the way you treated the OP?

But to return to the subject of my comment: the theme of Gladwell's book is that sometimes a quick glance can tell you a great deal. (At least when your instincts have been augmented by training and life experience.) To give an example, people have a strong financial incentive to create fake antique statuary. In one case, a man began selling statues which he claimed were antiques. They passed every chemical test to which they were subjected. But when they were seen by experts in the area, their first, gut level reaction was that the statues seemed "fresh." It later turned out that the statues were fake.

The OP is asking us to take the "blink" concept described in Gladwell's eponymous book, and apply it to E.J. Manuel.

> is it your opinion that Whaley should've drafted another QB early, or are you more worried about the "what do we do next year if EJ fails" scenario?

I personally would have drafted a QB early, if there was a QB prospect I liked. I understand this is not typical NFL GM thinking, and I'm not willing to write Whaley off due to his failure to address the QB position in this draft. But by trading away his first round pick, he closed the door on taking a QB early in the 2015 draft. That's an extremely bold move, and seems to demonstrate a high degree of confidence in Manuel. Confidence I believe is wholly unjustified.

> why don't we wait and see what the offense looks like with the full playbook before drawing any conclusions?

I have already concluded that Gailey was much better than Hackett at finding ways to use Spiller. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Spiller goes first-contract-and-out due to no longer having what (for him) would be a good coaching situation in Buffalo. Will there be additional costs to having Hackett, in addition to the probable loss of Spiller? I don't know.

Losman was never able to run a complete NFL offense. During his one good year, the Bills' coaching staff had to greatly simplify their offense so that he could be effective. I've read that Manuel ran a simplified college offense, and I don't expect things to be any different in the NFL. Hackett may never get the chance to install a complete, complex NFL offense. Which is probably something he should have considered before becoming part of the "consensus" which led to the selection of Manuel.

This is a sincere question...

Do you always at devils advocate, or defend people that are getting the boots put to them?

Maybe I misread a couple of your comments on here (I hope I did), but it seemed to me, that you are mostly defending the OP in what could be the worst thread in the last 5 years...

Also seems that you are attempting to explain his views, and elaborate on his mess...

This isn't a personal attack, I just want to understand what's going on here...

So open your mind. Let's be happy when Pegula takes over ownership, and then let's just enjoy this season for what it is: the curtain call for Bills football as we've known it for 2 decades. Yes, it's going to be painful to watch us struggle this year, and yes it's going to be even worse next offseason knowing we don't have a first round pick, but good times are on the horizon.

SJ whatever, No I don't believe in EJ but we need to see how does this year, you are forgetting that most of holes have been filled this offseason. However if we do bomb I'm all for Pegula cleaning house.

I see the OP's point and he's right in a macro sense. The whole front office needs to be shown the door, from Brandon on down to the coaches. We are never going to become winners with those jobbers running the show.

Having said that, an 0-16 season is not a prerequisite for that to happen, and would be downright embarrassing (more so when the Browns are at the podium with the first pick next year). I think any new owner will consider making changes whether we finish 0-16 or 8-8. For the sake of Bills fans, I certainly hope he or she does.

I didn't know Pegula was a female.

I am surprised at how so many people can't appreciate the positive- -and overdue- -changes the organization has made in the last couple years. The way they have handled coaching searches, activity during the draft, and even the way they handled Byrd, are all things that the old Bills would have stumbled and bumbled over for sure.

Can you imagine hanging out at a party with some of these people (that small handful of very negative TSW posters)?

Are they taking downers with their Genny Cream Ale?

Does life just completely suck for them?

The good side of all this negativity is that I have re-discovered the IGNORE feature. It used to be a button on the post (I think), but now it is found in your settings.

JohnnyPyrite - maybe just a troll that likes to rile folks. He/she makes it difficult not to start calling people bad names. But they do have a way of making reasonable people feel much better about themselves. Like "Hey, at least I'm not THAT guy..."

You are no longer allowed to be fan of this team. Your privileges are revoked. If YOU can no longer Billieve, then find a new team.

If Trent Dilfer can hoist a Lombardi, then I have no reason not to Billlieve that EJ can as well.

GO BILLS!!!!

The thing is , or should be... do you believe the FO is trying to win ? are the players playing to win ?

I think the majority is yes. Yes they are .

Some folks have been so traumatized they cant see , or wont allow the hope to grow. being a fan of the Buffalo Bills is no simple matter it seems as i delve deeper into the mire and muck some have accrued here

With Kiko is was predicting that we go 6 -0 in the division. Without Kiko I'll go with 4-2.

I was 5-1 and im still 5-1. two squeakers and one heartbreaker Edited by 3rdand12

Ok - look what happens when you have a busy day at work. OP, in the profound words of Sgt Hulka, "Lighten up Frances".

There is no upside dude to going 0-16.

How about we actually create momentum and capitalize on the additions we have in depth. Anyway, just enjoy your 4th and stop running down the hall with your hair on fire.

Man, and I thought i was pessimistic....is the OP a Browns fan?

The OP lost credibility with me when he couldn't correctly recall last years overall win / lose record, and like others I couldn't finish reading his post. I certainly don't want this team to tank this year so Cleveland gets the first overall pick, and I question any Bills fans loyalty that desires that outcome.

I'm hoping the team finishes the season with at least a 9-7 record so Whaley / Marrone / Hackett can finish* what they started. I'm very intrigued to see how EJ develops this year, and to see what that new 5.5 million dollar LG can do, along with the three new O line draft picks.

Bottom line is new ownership will undoubtedly clean house should this team fall on its face this season, and anything less then a winning record would be unacceptable in my view.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Okay, I read this as the thesis/summary :

Sorry to piss in your coffee this morning, but I've been thinking about this a lot since OTA's. But ask yourself this: are the pieces in place for this team to win a super bowl? Do you think EJ Manuel can be a Super Bowl winning quarterback? Ask yourself that. Don't just hit reply and tell me the sky isn't falling: ask yourself if you can picture EJ Manuel hoisting the lombardi trophy. If you're older than a 4th grader, the answer is likely "no."

You might call it cherry-picking or mis-characterization; I call it putting a button on a rant.

You said "nothing about his play in college suggested he should have been taken in the first two rounds"...he won 4 out of 4 Bowl games and put up good numbers. That's not nothing.

Also, I'm not sure what gave you the idea that I didn't watch him play. And for the record, it's extremely likely that you have never watched "tape" of EJ Manuel. You've watched televised broadcasts, game videos, or YouTube highlights; not "tape". There's a huge difference...and yes, I know what to look for in a QB. If we're comparing EJ to Peyton Manning in his readiness to play in the NFL, then I'm perfectly fine with the fact that he's not up to snuff. If your assertion is that he's similar to Tebow, well, I'll have to ask if you've EVER seen him play at all?

EJ can make the throws he needs to make in the NFL; college games (and some of his pro performances) show this...does he need to become more consistent? Absolutely. For the record, EJ was a 66.9% passer at FSU, and whether you want to acknowlege it or not, that stat does indeed tell the story regarding accuracy. You could claim--if you hadn't watched him--that this was a product of easy throws or short passes, but there's the whole YPA issue to confront. Tell me please: if he had a good completion percentage, and a very good YPA (both better than Manning in college by the way), how can he be so innaccurate? Or did you not watch him as you assumed I hadn't?

I responded to the OP's post and the points therein...I did not assume anything about him or his learnedness, as you did. Your corrollary to Gladwell's Blink is, IMO, completely misplaced. We're not talking about the authenticity of antiques here; we're talking about a football player with the dynamic ability to change and become better. A statue is static, firm, etched in stone. A person is not; to be presumptuous enough to claim you know what a person is or isn't capable of based on a very, very small sample size is extremely misguided IMO.

By the way, since we're quoting Gladwell, he also said this:

"We prematurely write off people as failures. We are too much in awe of those who succeed and far too dismissive of those who fail.”

Irony?

So you'd have drafted a QB early if there's one you liked? Has it occurred to you that perhaps there wasn't one that they liked? Furthermore, isn't it possible that--looking down the road--they felt there isn't a franchise guy they'd like a whole lot in 2015 either? Perhaps you're chastising them for having the very forsight that you claim they lacked with their decision. Keep in mind it's very, very easy to criticize the move they didn't make while failing to provide an alternate plan--something you seem to have done.

So you've seen enough from a 33-year old OC in one season with 2 rookies and a PS journeyman at QB to draw conclusions? You've seen enough of Manuel to say that he cannot execute a full playbook? I have to say that you're downright prescient if that's the case.

Did you look back at the all-22 on Spiller last year? The opportunities were there (WGR and Buffalo Rumbling both have actual "tape" breakdowns of his missed plays); it's not Hackett's fault if he was missing holes. And for the record, he still had 4.8 YPC on the ground, so something must've been going right.

Overall, the over-arching theme both from you and the OP is this: drawing conclusions based on incomplete-at-best information...so I say to you again: why don't we let this group have more than 1 season and see?

> For the record, EJ was a 66.9% passer at FSU, and whether you want to acknowlege it or not, that stat does indeed tell the story regarding accuracy.

Tim Tebow was a 67.1% passer at University of Florida. Do you feel that stat tells the story about Tebow's accuracy?

> If your assertion is that he's similar to Tebow, well, I'll have to ask if you've EVER seen him play at all?

My assertion is that most college QBs cannot process information quickly enough to become great at the NFL level. Manuel, Tebow, and Losman are similar in that respect. Just as the three QBs were also similar in having good foot speed. This is not to suggest that the three guys are identical across the board.

> Tell me please: if he had a good completion percentage, and a very good YPA (both better than Manning in college by the way), how can he be so inaccurate?

You keep bringing up his college stats. But you've inadequately addressed the issue I've raised. Namely, that there are plenty of college QBs who put up gaudy stats who later fail in the NFL. Below is a list of college QBs who won Heisman Trophies, from 1989 - 2011:

Andre Ware

Ty Detmer

Gino Torretta

Charlie Ward

Danny Wuerffel

Chris Weinke

Eric Crouch

Carson Palmer

Jason White

Matt Leinart

Troy Smith

Tim Tebow

Sam Bradford

Cam Newton

Robert Griffin III

While some of the guys on the list have gone on to have NFL success, most have been abject failures. But if you pick out any one of them, odds are he's going to have gaudy college stats. Danny Wuerffel averaged 9.3 yards per attempt in college. Chris Weinke averaged 8.9 yards per attempt in college.

> Furthermore, isn't it possible that--looking down the road--they felt there isn't a franchise guy they'd like a whole lot in 2015 either?

The above is a best-case scenario, at least if we're evaluating the competence of the front office. While what you described is possible, it's not very likely. Bear in mind that the 2015 draft class contains Hundley, Mariota, and Winston. I find it very difficult to believe the Bills' front office has already written off all three players so completely as to decide their 2015 first round pick would be wasted on a QB even if Manuel failed.

> You've seen enough of Manuel to say that he cannot execute a full playbook?

Nothing about Manuel's college play indicated he could handle the rapid information processing absolutely required to excel at the NFL level. It's possible that with more time and coaching, he'll show signs of that where there had been none before. Possible, but highly unlikely.

This organization is like the tree in your backyard that's dying. Oh sure, there are some branches with some green leaves on it, but by and large it's dead. You know it's dead, and the only thing to do is call a tree guy to come cut it down, chip it up, grind the stump, and give you the bill for it.

That's the Bills for you right there--oh sure, Sammy Watkins may be great, Dareus is a pro bowler, Spiller has looked good in places... there's some healthy young, green leaf growth right there. But the trunk? Dead.

Literally. We have a banner up top of the page in his honor. :rolleyes:

And before you jump down my throat and say "Is this another Kiko post? lol" consider the following--there was a point during the offseason (before the Byrd negotiations) where Marrone let it leak that there is a rift between the bean counters and the football guys.

Breaking news: General Franco is still dead!

I missed that "leak." I missed where that's new information - why do you THINK the Bills have had a coaching carousel for the past decade? And...

Well, I'll lump them all together: everyone must go.

I missed where that's any reason to replay the French Revolution and go all Jacobin on everyone's ass. Particularly with no owner to make that decision, you dumbass.

See, here's the thing: I may be the biggest optimist on here. When the Bills are there usual 4-8, I'm the one on ESPN.com's playoff calculator figuring out just how easy it will be for the Bills to steal the 6 seed. I'm the one staying up to watch the Chargers/Bengals games in week 15, because it impacts the chances of the Bills getting a wild-card at 7-9.

Affirming what you've already established at the start of your post: you ate too much lead paint as a child.

But not this year.

On offense: we lost our best receiver. Yes, our best receiver. I dont care about his antics, or what you think a true number 1 receiver should look like. It doesn't matter--Stevie Johnson was our biggest producer on offense over the last 3 years, and he's gone. Who will replace him? It's a gamble, but for whatever reason, Whaley saw fit to ship out our most productive offensive weapon. Our best running back is now a year older and 30 is long-since faded out of his rear-view mirror. We are, at this point in time, worse on offense. Oh sure, there's potential to be better, but for now, we are worse.

Let's look at the numbers from this point last season compared to this season:

2014 season: so far, the offense has gained 0 yards and scored 0 points.

2013 season: by this point (July) in the 2013 season, the offense had gained 0 yards and scored 0 points.

But on the plus side, there's no uncertainty surrounding Kevin Kolb's ability to navigate rubber floor mats...so it looks like, so far, 2014 is a net gain. Admittedly, that's very specious logic...but it's still one more objective measurable than you've provided to support your arrant nonsense.

On defense: our coordinator, gone. our best safety, gone. our best linebacker, done for the season. our best d-lineman, in trouble with the law. this is a problem. The strength of our 5-11 unit is now weaker. this is undeniable. do not try to tell me that i am a glass half empty person, this point is irrefutable: our defense is weaker.

special teams: an absolute disaster last season, remains largely intact. Same coaching. this is also a problem.

Dareus is our best lineman? When did that happen? Unless you're defining "best" strictly by tackles...in which case, when did we lose Aaron Williams? Or are we judging safety strictly by passes defended and interceptions, in which case...when did we lose Aaron Williams?

News flash, bonehead: the Bills' defense last year got production from ALL over the field. Byrd and Alonso are good players, Alonso had a great season...neither was the end-all and be-all of the defense (four players had 4 interceptions; three players had double-digit sacks - and tell me the last time THAT happened. Even when Bruce Smith played, there was only ONE season where someone else had double-digit sacks.) And the idea that Dareus is somehow washed up because he has a court date is just silly.

And most importantly (as everyone will note) our quarterback, because this is what our season hinges on, right?: missed too many games to injury last season, a major major problem that Bills fans seem to be in denial about. 3 knee injuries in one season? THREE KNEE INJURIES IN ONE SEASON? If that happened to Brady, we would be dancing in the street.

If that happened to Brady, we'd be laughing our asses off at the stupidity of an organization that lets their QB play on an unhealed knee. Generally, one knee injury is season-ending. THREE knee injuries indicates poor player management that should not be considered a reflection on the player, or a three-legged mutant at the QB position.

...mindless blather cut for sanity reasons...

If you're older than a 4th grader, you're reflecting on Trent Dilfer's Superbowl ring, and the answer is likely "yes."

Why in the ever-lovin' !@#$ would you start a post hoping for 0-16 and the first pick in the draft for the FRIGGIN' CLEVELAND BROWNS, then end with looking forward to the "good times" on the horizon? You just posted a truly inordinate amount of cyber-drool explaining why good times are emphatically NOT on the horizon. What the !@#$ sort of brain damage do you have?

Where is DC Tom when we really need him?

You're welcome.

> So the entire post is "I'm an optimist, and I think we suck, so you should all agree with my opinions or you're 4th graders"?

That is a blatant mischaracterization of the OP.

> No, the offense isn't worse.

You're probably right. Young WRs like Woods will have another year of experience. That will help; as will the new offensive linemen you noted, and the addition of Watkins.

> To say the defense is worse is an assumption, not an undeniable truth as you claim.

That may be, but Pettine did a lot with a little. My impression of Schwartz is that he doesn't have Pettine's level of creativity or innovation. Schwartz's defenses look good when all the pieces are just so. But nothing about his track record suggests he has Pettine's gift for using lemons to make lemonade.

> As to EJ, nobody knows whether or not he's a franchise guy...

Perhaps. But nothing about his play in college suggested he should have been taken in the first two rounds. When you reach for a third round QB in the first round, you don't then have a guy who's as likely to succeed as any other first round QB.

> all I can tell you is that it would be irrefutably ignorant for someone to gauge their opinion based on whether or not they can picture a guy lifting a piece of metal

If you read the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, you might change your view about this.

The OP is 100% right about the need to get rid of the bean counters. Littmann and Overdorf have been harming this franchise for decades. I think he's also right about the need to get rid of Marrone and his coaching staff. The one creative, innovative part of that coaching staff was Pettine; and Pettine is now in Cleveland. And--I hate to say this--but he's probably also right about the need to get rid of the front office. Signing the worst offensive lineman of the Rams to a multi-year, solid starter money contract was a head-scratching move. The kind of move Marv the GM would have made. Going all-in on EJ--as Whaley did this past draft--is the kind of mistake which gets you fired.

I think that you know how much I enjoy your posts.

That said, wanting the Bills to go 0-16 is impossible to defend under any conditions, let alone in a year in which they squandered a future first round draft choice which could quite possibly be a top 5 selection.

The truth, in my strong opinion, is that even if the Bills reach 8-8, Whaley, Marrone, Hackett and Schwartz will be well deservedly fired. Think about it.....which of these men would get another NFL job at their current level? Whaley? I doubt it. Hackett? Little to no chance. Schwartz? Highly doubtful. Marrone? He would be lucky to get a job as an OC. My guess would be OL Assistant Coach. Brandon? He might catch on at Ringling Brothers. Maybe.

Btw, Whaley's first draft was interesting. He took a first round qb and actually gained a second round pick while doing so. This, imo, is to be praised, given the talent of Kiko and Woods, a particular favorite of mine.

The 2014 draft was marked by utter desperation imo. Whaley and especially Marrone knew that there days are numbered, so they went "all in" by trading the future for a wideout. They could have traded DOWN in this draft and picked a perfectly good receiver but again, their jobs were clearly on the line.

My opinion of EJ might differ from yours. I think he would be fine as a read option QB. If his body cannot stand up, so be it. At this point Lewis is as good as EJ, although I readily admit that EJ has a higher ceiling.

In any event my friend, there is NO room to defend wanting to go 0-16 in any season, and this would be the worst one to do so.

May you, and anyone who reads this have a great 4th!

I would love to call the OP crazy, but with my luck it seems just iike the bills to bottom out the year they don't have a first rounder. Too much to bottom out in a year with an Andrew luck/ Cam Newton and have a first round pick intact.

Now, hoping the team bottoms out just to get people fired is crazy. I don't care that much who gets fired and not anymore. I just want a winning team, no matter who is running the show. I want a winning team, I don't want a bad season just to fire people.

I am hoping for a winning season. Buffalo haters may root against that, but I won't ever cheer for this team to lose. Especially when there is no first round pick.

I read the OP's entire post and I will admit that the read did require some patience. I was puzzled about some of his comments, then agreed with some and disagreed with others. However; The post didn't anger me, like it somehow managed to anger others. Opinions are like !@#$s and we all have one. And while some are nicer than others, It definitely could be worse. Imagine If everybody had the same opinion! Our lives would be a journey through the desert. Be thankful. Happy 4th everybody. Lou.

I think that you know how much I enjoy your posts.

That said, wanting the Bills to go 0-16 is impossible to defend under any conditions, let alone in a year in which they squandered a future first round draft choice which could quite possibly be a top 5 selection.

The truth, in my strong opinion, is that even if the Bills reach 8-8, Whaley, Marrone, Hackett and Schwartz will be well deservedly fired. Think about it.....which of these men would get another NFL job at their current level? Whaley? I doubt it. Hackett? Little to no chance. Schwartz? Highly doubtful. Marrone? He would be lucky to get a job as an OC. My guess would be OL Assistant Coach. Brandon? He might catch on at Ringling Brothers. Maybe.

Btw, Whaley's first draft was interesting. He took a first round qb and actually gained a second round pick while doing so. This, imo, is to be praised, given the talent of Kiko and Woods, a particular favorite of mine.

The 2014 draft was marked by utter desperation imo. Whaley and especially Marrone knew that there days are numbered, so they went "all in" by trading the future for a wideout. They could have traded DOWN in this draft and picked a perfectly good receiver but again, their jobs were clearly on the line.

My opinion of EJ might differ from yours. I think he would be fine as a read option QB. If his body cannot stand up, so be it. At this point Lewis is as good as EJ, although I readily admit that EJ has a higher ceiling.

In any event my friend, there is NO room to defend wanting to go 0-16 in any season, and this would be the worst one to do so.

May you, and anyone who reads this have a great 4th!

> I think that you know how much I enjoy your posts.

I feel the same way about yours. During the season, I always look forward to reading your thoughts about the game (in no particular order).

> That said, wanting the Bills to go 0-16 is impossible to defend under any conditions

Tom Landry was a legendary coach. But when the Cowboys went 1-15, he was fired. Jimmy Johnson took his place; and was also given control of player personnel decisions. Because of that 1-15 season, the Cowboys received the first overall pick--which they used on Troy Aikman.

If Tom Landry had gone 8-8 or 9-7 that year, instead of 1-15, he might not have gotten fired. The Cowboys wouldn't have drafted Aikman or hired Jimmy Johnson; and wouldn't have gone on to win those Super Bowls. Would you take a 1-15 or 0-16 season if it meant the Bills would soon win three Super Bowls in four years?

To give a few more examples: back in 1997, the Colts went 1-15. They used the first overall pick on Peyton Manning. As Manning was nearing retirement they went 2-14; and used the first overall pick on Andrew Luck. The closest the Bills have come to doing something like that was in 1984; when we went 1-15. We used the first overall pick of the '85 draft on Bruce Smith.

It's better to go 1-15 and get a Bruce Smith or a Peyton Manning; than go 5-11 and get stuck with Donte Whitner. Unless you've traded your first round pick in next year's draft to the Cleveland Browns. But even then, a 1-15 season could work out in our favor, if it resulted in the same magnitude of front office upgrade that the Cowboys experienced after Landry's 1-15 season. While I won't be rooting for a 1-15 season, neither will you see me attack the OP.

> Btw, Whaley's first draft was interesting. He took a first round qb and actually gained a second round pick while doing so.

It's not clear how much of that was Whaley and how much was Nix. Either way, the Robert Woods and Kiko picks were excellent choices.

> so they went "all in" by trading the future for a wideout.

Sometimes a team is better off with one elite player than two good players. I'm not opposed to Watkins type trades in principle. I just wish we hadn't traded away next year's first rounder when there are serious question marks at quarterback.

> At this point Lewis is as good as EJ,

At least statistically, Lewis played significantly better than EJ during 2013. By no means am I suggesting we should write off every QB who has a bad rookie year. It's good to be patient--at least with QBs who should have been first round picks in the first place.

Ok - look what happens when you have a busy day at work. OP, in the profound words of Sgt Hulka, "Lighten up Frances".

There is no upside dude to going 0-16.

How about we actually create momentum and capitalize on the additions we have in depth. Anyway, just enjoy your 4th and stop running down the hall with your hair on fire.

Ha ha . i sure did chuckle MGK. hair on fire. still laughing

This makes more sense. 16-0 it is.

Call me Blind Melon Chitlin.

This, is all i ever envision this time of year.

Winning every game.

Thinking otherwise might be realistic but harshes my buzz .

Its really not that hard if you try .

Winning. it can be done .

> I think that you know how much I enjoy your posts.

I feel the same way about yours. During the season, I always look forward to reading your thoughts about the game (in no particular order).

> That said, wanting the Bills to go 0-16 is impossible to defend under any conditions

Tom Landry was a legendary coach. But when the Cowboys went 1-15, he was fired. Jimmy Johnson took his place; and was also given control of player personnel decisions. Because of that 1-15 season, the Cowboys received the first overall pick--which they used on Troy Aikman.

Ah, no. That is incorrect.

Jerry Jones bought the team in February of 1989, and fired Tom Landry soon after. The Cowboys went 1-15 in 1989 under the direction of HC Jimmy Johnson.

If Tom Landry had gone 8-8 or 9-7 that year, instead of 1-15, he might not have gotten fired. The Cowboys wouldn't have drafted Aikman or hired Jimmy Johnson; and wouldn't have gone on to win those Super Bowls. Would you take a 1-15 or 0-16 season if it meant the Bills would soon win three Super Bowls in four years?

Landry's last season as HC was 1988, and the Cowboys went 3-13.

In 1987, the Cowboys went 7-8 (strike year, replacement players).

In 1986, the Cowboys went 7-9.

He was good as gone.

It's better to go 1-15 and get a Bruce Smith or a Peyton Manning; than go 5-11 and get stuck with Donte Whitner.

While I think I get the point you are trying to make, this is a mischaracterization. The Bills did not get "stuck" with Whitner. They chose him. They could have just as easily chose Ngata.

The fact the Bills chose Whitner over Ngata is more of a reflection of just how terrible Levy/Jauron were, and not draft position.

IMHO, the Bills could have just as easily had the first overall pick, and Levy/Jauron would still have found a way to !@#$ it up (i.e. They probaly still would have drafted Whitner, and reference Maybin).

At least statistically, Lewis played significantly better than EJ during 2013. By no means am I suggesting we should write off every QB who has a bad rookie year. It's good to be patient--at least with QBs who should have been first round picks in the first place.

As you said, Lewis played better than EJ "statistically", but my eyes tell me there is nothing about his play that suggests he is anything more than a backup at best.My eyes tell me EJ has a higher potential. He may never become a "great" QB, but I do think he will better than Thad.

If the wheels are going to come off, I'd rather we do it next season so we can at least start fresh with a nice shiny 1st round draft pick.

I agree with much of what you say, though. This is a rather poorly run organization, and it starts at the top. We have some pretty glaring holes at important positions. Our coaches are questionable at best. We do not have an easy schedule.

I could easily see us come away with a 4 win season. BUT... if those question marks have positive answers, I could easily see us with 10 wins.

Either way, I'll be watching and rooting, and hoping for the best.

The wheels have been off for a very long time.