I think we are closer than we have been in years

I think we are closer than we have been in years

Thanks man, I didn't know you cared! :cry:

Team has much better depth, talent at skill positions than recent memory.

Offensively it will depend on how EJ progresses.

Defensively it will depend on stopping the run & whether the front 4 can get pressure on the QB.

Special teams depend on Crossman & the punter.

I have the opposite feeling. Usually I'm optimistic about them every year around this time, but not this season.

It all stems from having little faith in the QB and zero faith in the coach after seeing what I saw last year. Losing Byrd, Stevie and Pettine doesn't help either.

I hope I'm wrong though.

As I just defended EJ in another thread, I agree that this team goes as far as he can take them...

I think that's the general consensus, also...

It's not a consensus because I disagree with your premise.

It appears that we have upgraded the talent on the team especially at the WR position which has been totally lacking for years and years. However I think our coaching staff needs to step up for us to have any playoff chances this year. This includes Schwartz, Hackett Jr, and obviously, the main man himself, Coach Marrone, you know.

I agree we're not a dumpster fire of question marks like in years past. Pinning all of our hopes on a 53-year old Terrell Owens? My god... We've narrowed the dumpster fire of question marks down to a very few, but very key question marks.

I think the new OLmen additions are another important factor. If we hit on 2 OL upgrades then EJ can take us to the playoffs with only decent improvement.....and the new D system as the OP mentioned.

I agree we're not a dumpster fire of question marks like in years past. Pinning all of our hopes on a 53-year old Terrell Owens? My god... We've narrowed the dumpster fire of question marks down to a very few, but very key question marks.

I think we are still a dumpster fire of question marks, personally. A better team than in years past, yes... but still way too many question marks to assume we'll have success.

Questions at:

QB - Obvious

OL - Will our rookies and FA pick up improve last year's disaster?

WR - A rookie, a FA who has questions, and two second year unprovens make up our core here...

LB - We got a run stuffer in the middle, but will be help us in all aspects?

DB - Lost our FS, will Williams slide over and replace him? Will Searcy (who I suspect will win SS) do a decent job?

Special Teams - Last year a disaster, will they improve this year?

Coaching - Will our 2nd year squad do any better? Will Schwartz coach a solid D?

Every single group above needs to be significantly better than last year for us to make the playoffs... I'm hoping it happens, but I'm expecting another short season for us.

Edited by Dorkington

I think we are still a dumpster fire of question marks, personally. A better team than in years past, yes... but still way too many question marks to assume we'll have success.

Good way of putting it.

Good teams have very few question marks, especially at the QB position. We need a lot to break right for us.

Questions at:

QB - Obvious

OL - Will our rookies and FA pick up improve last year's disaster?

WR - A rookie, a FA who has questions, and two second year unprovens make up our core here...

LB - We got a run stuffer in the middle, but will be help us in all aspects?

DB - Lost our FS, will Williams slide over and replace him? Will Searcy (who I suspect will win SS) do a decent job?

Special Teams - Last year a disaster, will they improve this year?

Coaching - Will our 2nd year squad do any better? Will Schwartz coach a solid D?

Every single group above needs to be significantly better than last year for us to make the playoffs... I'm hoping it happens, but I'm expecting another short season for us.

If every single group is significantly better than last year we will not only be making the playoffs, but making a run for the SB. We are well past the era of having teams dominating in all aspects to win SBs.

As I just defended EJ in another thread, I agree that this team goes as far as he can take them...

I think that's the general consensus, also...

Over and over I'll say our 52 man roster matches the bengals in quality - just a matter if guy 53 (ie ej) and our OC can match the bengals output for those spots (or maybe exceed it).

I am very optimistic...but I still am not sure that translates into a playoff spot. I sure hope it does, but in addition to EJ's performance, I am also a little concerned about the overall defense.

I have mixed feelings about Schwartz, and I still don't feel completely certain in what ways the defense will be different...everytime I hear the issue addresssed by Marrone, or Schwartz, it seems to come out that the defense "won't be that different", but it will be "very different"... as weak as the defense was against the run last year, and as much as I don't think EJ Manuel was the trainwreck that so many here seem to feel, I think a lot of the optimism about this team is coming from their defensive performance last year. I am not as concerned about losing Byrd, as I am the changes in the defense, from a coaching standpoint..whatever they turn out to be.

It seemed like Pettine, last year, got career years out of guys who had been here, performing underwhelmingly for a few years...and I have had the feeling on numerous occaisions over the last 15 years, that coaching/schemes have been as big a problem for this team as talent has been. I am not saying I think Schwartz is going to be bad, I just don't feel certain about him. We shall see... I always look forward to the season...

Edited by Buftex

I am very optimistic...but I still am not sure that translates into a playoff spot. I sure hope it does, but in addition to EJ's performance, I am also a little concerned about the overall defense.

I have mixed feelings about Schwartz, and I still don't feel completely certain in what ways the defense will be different...everytime I hear the issue addresssed by Marrone, or Schwartz, it seems to come out that the defense won't be that different, but it will be very different... as weak as the defense was against the run last year, and as much as I don't think EJ Manuel was the trainwreck that so many here seem to feel, I think a lot of the optimism about this team is coming from their defensive performance last year. I am not as concerned about losing Byrd, as I am the changes in the defense, from a coaching standpoint..whatever they turn out to be.

It seemed like Pettine, last year, got career years out of guys who had been here, performing underwhelmingly for a few years...and I have had the feeling on numerous occaisions over the last 15 years, that coaching/schemes have been as big a problem for this team as talent has been. I am not saying I think Schwartz is going to be bad, I just don't feel certain about him. We shall see... I always look forward to the season...

the best thing in the world for our run defense will be playing with some leads. I really think the key to EVERYTHING this year is EJ/hackett (and marrones game management). we have the talent to be good just about everywhere else.

If every single group is significantly better than last year we will not only be making the playoffs, but making a run for the SB. We are well past the era of having teams dominating in all aspects to win SBs.

Being better in all those categories wouldn't make us dominant in all those categories. In many situations just having most of those groups be "average" and a couple "good" would take us to the playoffs and possibly beyond.

I believe that Hackett's development as a play caller and schemer is just as, if not more, important than EJ. (Also, Hackett must put his players in a position to succeed before he can succeed.) *fixed*

I believe the bolded statement to be more accurate then thinking its all on EJ.

Last season when the run game failed to make plays (which was most of the time) then the onus to make a play fell right on the QB. Hackett called 70+% of the running plays right up the middle, which wasn't conducive to putting Spiller in the best position to make plays. The QB's were the rookies, and the O line or RB's were not. The run game could have easily been much more complicated with more motion, and sets, and more effective at making first downs considering the talent at RB.

That first Jets game with 8 sacks on EJ, along with Spiller 10 rushes for 9 yards tells me the Bills play calling, O line were basically useless. Hackett wants to run a fast paced, hurry up type offense again this year, and that only works if the offense can stay on the field long enough to score. Last year the Bills were 25th in three downs and out percentage, and that needs to improve by a wide margin before the team can even think of having a winning season.

It wasn't just Hackett, or EJ either. It was a injured young receiver corps & injured RB's, three rookie QB's with no QB coach, and a very suspect O line that played very poorly on the road.

All that said, the O line now has some new upgrades, as does the receiver corps, and both EJ & Hackett are no longer rookies. A new QB coach along with some extra offensive coaches.

NFL teams usually don't progress from 6-10 to playoffs, and all I'm hoping for is a winning season to build off of. I can envision playoffs down the road should the team have a winning season this year. 9-7 or bust :D

It's a fact that we are closer to the next playoff appearance with each year that elapses, so yes... definitely closer this year.

im not a statistician, but I don't believe this is true. If you flip a coin 10 times and it lands on heads all 10 times, the 11th flip is still a 50-50 chance of landing on heads.

im not a statistician, but I don't believe this is true. If you flip a coin 10 times and it lands on heads all 10 times, the 11th flip is still a 50-50 chance of landing on heads.

OK, assuming that someday the Bills are in the playoffs again.... each year that goes by between now and then, they will be closer to making the playoffs. The flaw in my statement was that it requires the Bills to make the playoffs at some point in the future before they cease to exist.

OK, assuming that someday the Bills are in the playoffs again.... each year that goes by between now and then, they will be closer to making the playoffs. The flaw in my statement was that it requires the Bills to make the playoffs at some point in the future before they cease to exist.

Always a catch with theory .

But the chances increase exponentially each year .

So the saying " man are we due " is true mathematically in this limited environment .

But thats not going to help if the team is cursed now is it ?

Edited by 3rdand12

There is more talent on this roster than there has been in the last ten years. I think the Bills have the best roster in the AFC East. New England has Brady, but other than that there roster does not touch the Bills. The Bills have Three Pro Bowl Defensive lineman, Kiko and now Spikes at LB and are deep in the secondary. They drafted the best player IMO in the draft Watkins, are loaded at RB and now have one of biggest OLines in the NFL. EJ is the key, he does not have to be Brady, he just can't be JP Losman.

The defense hasn't been this good in years. There are VERY few holes in the defense. Is it Super Bowl caliber? Come on! Who knows WHICH defense is Super Bowl caliber? Is it playoff caliber? I daresay "Yes". I'm actually not too worried on the defensive side of the ball. I'll leave that stressing to others on this board. Enjoy the ulcers. My ulcers go to (1) EJ stepping up; (2) The WR corps performing as good as it could (I personally think it gets a little tenuous after Williams-Watkins-Wood); (3) The O-Line gelling and not collectively blowing out knees or discs in training camp. It's this latter element that intrigues me. I don't mean to get intrigued by large, heavy men, but this could be the best O-Line that the Bills have fielded in 20 years. Do a mental rundown on the names...Trey Teague, Bennie Anderson, Langston Walker, Mike Williams, Colin Brown....I'm going to start weeping again. It was never a unit. Always something missing somewhere, dammit. But maybe not this year. That O-Line could be terrifying. And look who's running behind it. Damn.

There is more talent on this roster than there has been in the last ten years. I think the Bills have the best roster in the AFC East. New England has Brady, but other than that there roster does not touch the Bills. The Bills have Three Pro Bowl Defensive lineman, Kiko and now Spikes at LB and are deep in the secondary. They drafted the best player IMO in the draft Watkins, are loaded at RB and now have one of biggest OLines in the NFL. EJ is the key, he does not have to be Brady, he just can't be JP Losman.

That's really all they have, is Brady. That's it! Brady... and Gronkowski, of course. But that's it. Brady, and Gronkowski. And, their first round pick, Dominic Easley, he's pretty good. But that's it: Brady, Gronk, and Easley. And their offensive line is pretty good, I guess. Nate Solder's solid. But that's pretty much all there is. Oh, and Derrell Revis, of course. Can't forget him! But, really, who else do they have? Other than Amendola? And, Edelman. OK, their top two WRs aren't bad. Plus Dobson. He's not bad, either. But, THAT'S IT. Brady, Gronk, Easley, Nate Solder and their O-line, Derrel Revis, Amendola, Edelman, Dobson... Well, there's Bellichick, and the coaching staff, of course. That goes without saying. Brady, Gronk, Easley, Nate Solder and their O-line, Derrel Revis, Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Bellichick, and the coaching staff, and probably a few other people I don't know about. But other than those guys, they don't hold a candle to us! Edited by Rocky Landing

Thanks man, I didn't know you cared! :cry:

Team has much better depth, talent at skill positions than recent memory.

Offensively it will depend on how EJ progresses.

Defensively it will depend on stopping the run & whether the front 4 can get pressure on the QB.

Special teams depend on Crossman & the punter.

That's it in a nutshell. Not much else to add except maybe our OL improves and becomes a dominant front 5 and Moeaki can stay heathy and be the player many thought he would become.

I believe that Hackett's development as a play caller and schemer is just as, if not more, important than EJ. He must be put in a position to succeed before he can succeed.

Actually we have question marks at all the three coordinator position. If anything I will give Hackett a pass as he had pretty much an empty tank to work with last year with the QB door constantly revolving and zero production from the WR position.

Schwartz needs to show that he can plug the Running holes. Spikes and Preston are going to be key here.

Crossman had one of the worst units. Even the recent news that our KR were asked to kneel down if 1/2 way into the endzone is a POOOR scheme. You will never win if you don't even try!!!

I think the new OLmen additions are another important factor. If we hit on 2 OL upgrades then EJ can take us to the playoffs with only decent improvement.....and the new D system as the OP mentioned.

Are you assuming that last year EJ struggled with his accuracy because he was not getting the protection upfront. I thought the line gave him enough protection; he simply overthrew the long ball consistently.

We will be starting the year with 3 of 5 new offensive linemen. Very tough to pull off a winning season with so much change at these critical positions. Our HC is a former O lineman, and our GM is focused on solving the problem, but it isn't fixed yet.

Sammy and Goodwin and Woods can all get open, but not in 2.5 seconds.

If you think we are close then you're saying you have faith that we can pass protect and run block.

I truly hope we can, but I'm not so sure.

That's really all they have, is Brady. That's it! Brady... and Gronkowski, of course. But that's it. Brady, and Gronkowski. And, their first round pick, Dominic Easley, he's pretty good. But that's it: Brady, Gronk, and Easley. And their offensive line is pretty good, I guess. Nate Solder's solid. But that's pretty much all there is. Oh, and Derrell Revis, of course. Can't forget him! But, really, who else do they have? Other than Amendola? And, Edelman. OK, their top two WRs aren't bad. Plus Dobson. He's not bad, either. But, THAT'S IT. Brady, Gronk, Easley, Nate Solder and their O-line, Derrel Revis, Amendola, Edelman, Dobson... Well, there's Bellichick, and the coaching staff, of course. That goes without saying. Brady, Gronk, Easley, Nate Solder and their O-line, Derrel Revis, Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Bellichick, and the coaching staff, and probably a few other people I don't know about. But other than those guys, they don't hold a candle to us!

1. One man does not make a secondary and the Bills talent is better, plus Revis is a shadow of himself,

2. Are you really comparing Woods, Watkins and Williams to Edelman and Amendola? LOL Gronkowski, Amendola and Edelman spend more time on IR then the field,

3.Your comparing one rookie who has not played a snap to 3 Probowlers. LOL Easley just signed and is unproven.

I did not say New England sucks or has no talent, just besides QB the Bills finally have more talent. By the way who is playing MLB for New England, the Bills got a motivated Spikes to pound on the Patriots!!

Edited by bisonbrigade

That's really all they have, is Brady. That's it! Brady... and Gronkowski, of course. But that's it. Brady, and Gronkowski. And, their first round pick, Dominic Easley, he's pretty good. But that's it: Brady, Gronk, and Easley. And their offensive line is pretty good, I guess. Nate Solder's solid. But that's pretty much all there is. Oh, and Derrell Revis, of course. Can't forget him! But, really, who else do they have? Other than Amendola? And, Edelman. OK, their top two WRs aren't bad. Plus Dobson. He's not bad, either. But, THAT'S IT. Brady, Gronk, Easley, Nate Solder and their O-line, Derrel Revis, Amendola, Edelman, Dobson... Well, there's Bellichick, and the coaching staff, of course. That goes without saying. Brady, Gronk, Easley, Nate Solder and their O-line, Derrel Revis, Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Bellichick, and the coaching staff, and probably a few other people I don't know about. But other than those guys, they don't hold a candle to us!

Wil-Fork me....that's not a half bad roster.

Also, there might be a slight difference in coaching.

I believe if the Bills are good enough to make the playoffs then they are good enough to win it all.

Very little difference between a playoff team and a Superbowl Champ

Did you watch the SB last year? There were not many teams that could hang with Seattle. SF, Arizona, and that's about it. You can't tell me Seattle is no better than San Diego, or KC.

Now I would agree with you there are many teams that could beat each other from the playoffs. It comes down to a few plays. BIll Polian was asked about SB 25 last week on NFL radio and he commented that game came down to three plays and they went to the Giants. He dais it had nothing to do with Belicheck's defense.

I think EJ is better than we have seen so far, therefore I like 'em this year. The rest of the division is better as well. Phin's look really good and the Pats , well they are the Pats. Jets D should be very good. So everyone is better in the division. Hopefully it comes down to injuries and turnovers, like it should, and not that the Bills QB is no good. That would be an improvement in and of itself, blaming losses on injuries and turnovers and not on lack of key position talent and ability.