Can we trust Roger Goodell?

I trust Roger Goodell. I trust him so much I even email him nude pictures with my social security number every week.

While I appreciate the vote of confidence, my Administrative Assistant requests that you please stop. Our medical plan doesn't offer unlimited grief counseling.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's the problem here? That Goodell had lunch with JBJ?

Goodell is the NFL commissioner and as such having meetings with potential owners is part of his job.

It is not his decision as to who the next owner of the Bills will be.

Non-issue.

This is a huge problem. Goodell doesn't eat lunch.

While I appreciate the vote of confidence, my Administrative Assistant requests that you please stop. Our medical plan doesn't offer unlimited grief counseling.

That was funny.

Seriously, I feel relatively confident for this reason. CA will not pony up money for a stadium, and Stan Cronkey is wealthy enough with that land, that he could beat a Bills owner to a team in LA. I know this thread is about Bon Jovi, but the same issue applies. Canada will not pony up money for a stadium, so an owner has to buy the team, keep it in Buffalo for several years, then fund his own stadium, transfer fee, cost of the Bills, etc.

I don't see the Rogers group finding it a profitable venture to expend a total of 2.5 to 2.7 Bil for a return of 30-40 mil / yr.

It's just so much more likely one of the potential bidders that will keep it in Buffalo, and get subsidized by probably half the cost of a stadium. Everyone wins.

Personally, I'd much rather see a major expansion in the NFL with teams coming in LA, Mexico City, Toronto, and Europe for a couple of team over the next decade. It's funny as Germans were more avid NFL fans with the Europe league more than London. Everyone's happy. No city gets screwed as Buffalo, St. Louis, Jax, and so on.

Roger g having lunch with him and Jerry jones endorsement of Jon Bon jovi isn't a good sign. Remember what Jerry jones said: "He knows many of the owners, personally," Jones said. "All owners know of him. But he knows them personally. He's committed. He's very genuine. You talk about individuals and talk about their qualification — there hasn't been anybody more qualified to be involved in sports ownership, or certainly ownership in the NFL, than Jon Bon Jovi."

Roger g having lunch with him and Jerry jones endorsement of Jon Bon jovi isn't a good sign. Remember what Jerry jones said: "He knows many of the owners, personally," Jones said. "All owners know of him. But he knows them personally. He's committed. He's very genuine. You talk about individuals and talk about their qualification — there hasn't been anybody more qualified to be involved in sports ownership, or certainly ownership in the NFL, than Jon Bon Jovi."

And if the other owners were the ones selling the team, I'd be nervous about those comments.

But since they aren't, and since nowhere in there did he say "We all agreed to vote against anybody not named Jon Bon Jovi buying the Bills," I really don't care how buddy-buddy JBJ is with Jones or any of the other owners. Nor should you.

The Commissioner says he wants the Bils to stay in Buffalo, but is he talking out of both sides of his mouth?

http://pagesix.com/2...dst-bills-sale/?

Not necessarily. We don't know what he and Bon Jovi were discussing. But the truth is Goodell works for the owners

and does their bidding. They are the only one's, ultimately, that he needs to please. I would say though, judging from

owners' recent comments, such as Mara and Kraft, Goodell knows the pulse of the room; when he says he wants the

Bills to stay in WNY, I don't believe it is just him going out on a limb. He is relaying a sentiment that he probably personally

believes, but also, and more importantly, mirrors what his bosses also want.

You have other owners from Kraft to Mara saying they want the Bills to remain in WNY. And Kraft is also a friend of Bon Jovi's. Are the statements of those owners, who want the Bills to remain, not a good sign?

Honestly, it seems to me that the tea leaves have said, a long time ago, that the Bills aren't going anywhere. I think fear is a place some like to live in. In spite of other possibilities. The name being talked about at the owners' meetings after Mr. Wilson passed away was Terry Pegula. A name owners were said to be mentioning. He fits the financial criteria that the NFL is reported to desire in a potential owner. Bon Jovi, on his own, does not.

I would be more concerned if Bon Jovi, along with the real money behind the MLSE group, were having a private meeting with Russ Brandon and/or the trust members.

Edited by purple haze

Not necessarily. We don't know what he and Bon Jovi were discussing. But the truth is Goodell works for the owners

and does their bidding. They are the only one's, ultimately, that he needs to please. I would say though, judging from

owners' recent comments, such as Mara and Kraft, Goodell knows the pulse of the room; when he says he wants the

Bills to stay in WNY, I don't believe it is just him going out on a limb. He is relaying a sentiment that he probably personally

believes, but also, and more importantly, mirrors what his bosses also want.

That's very optimistic. But, if (hypothetically, of course) in the back room discussions, it had been decided that the Bills were going to move to Wichita, Kansas, would he be saying anything different? Let's say that he were trustworthy (heh, heh, heh), and copped to the media that in seven years the Bills would be packing it up-- what would happen to the Bills franchise in those seven years? What would happen to their profit margin?

If Goodell knew that the Bills were going to move at the end of the Non-Relocation Agreement, he would do everything in his power to keep that a secret as long as legally (or not?) possible.

Goodell is a money grubbing,power freak. He wants to be known as the one who expanded the NFL to another country. This is his main goal and Buffalo is ripe for the picking. He could give a rats azz about Bills fans. The fading fan base and poor Buffalo economy is just a smoke screen and a joke. Put a play-off team on the field again and watch us once again be leading near the top in ticket sales. Goodell is not Buffalo friendly.

We can trust Goodell to be the NFL commisioner, representing the league and the owners. He will not be a WNY homer, its not his job.

Perhaps. Nevertheless, I much prefer him to Tags (or others) who I know for sure could not give a **** about Buffalo. With Goodell, there is a chance that he sees the value of the Bills in Buffalo. If not, I hope Chuck and Cuomo show him the light.

That's very optimistic. But, if (hypothetically, of course) in the back room discussions, it had been decided that the Bills were going to move to Wichita, Kansas, would he be saying anything different? Let's say that he were trustworthy (heh, heh, heh), and copped to the media that in seven years the Bills would be packing it up-- what would happen to the Bills franchise in those seven years? What would happen to their profit margin?

If Goodell knew that the Bills were going to move at the end of the Non-Relocation Agreement, he would do everything in his power to keep that a secret as long as legally (or not?) possible.

Most definitely. But as you say I'm optimistic, I say you are being pessimistic. Goodell has not been definitive about the Bills staying in WNY. He has been positive about it. Most people, up to this point, have said there were no guarantees about the Bills staying, mainly because no one knows the mission of the trust which is based on Mr. Wilson's will. I think as things have unfolded, recently, the Bills aren't going anywhere. Goodell can meet with whomever he wants, but he is not the one selling the team. I'd be more concerned if MLSE reps and/or Bon Jovi were meeting with Russ Brandon.

I've said before, years ago, that I don't believe Mr. Wilson would leave WNY hanging and I think we've seen evidence of that fact. There's a lot of tea leaves to read and statements to parse for what is and what isn't said, but if one does those things I think Bills fans can breathe much easier. Even the journalists covering the situation, from our own Wawrow, to Kryk to Graham and others, have said, in so many words, they believe it's likely, the Bills will remain. Pegs being a bidder, to me, is the deal sealer. He has what the NFL says it wants: WNY focused ownership, cash liquidity above and beyond potential purchase price, etc.

The question is how the stadium issue impacts the team going forward. And if Pegs or Golisano are the owners even that issue becomes moot. I do think a new stadium is on its way though, in spite of the Ralph being a great place to watch a game.

I hope this sale process proceeds as quickly as we hear the Bills/trust want it to. So we can move forward with a new era and some of us can stop worrying! ;-)

Edited by purple haze

never trust(ed) Goodell and the owners in this.

Until this franchise is locked in, Ill remain terrified

This .

I dont trust Goodell at all. He was all " keep Bills in Buffalo " after Ralphs passing.

as soon as he could he started with tthe new stadium stuff. To be viable and all that .

His interests are not ours generally. May day May day !

never trust(ed) Goodell and the owners in this.

Until this franchise is locked in, Ill remain terrified

Bang ! I miss the days of having a commish with a back-bone. Goodell must go. A lot of issues have popped up on his watch...because he is a wuss and can be taken advantage of by the political interest groups. Dont matter to me. I'm done with the NFL anyway but I'll still listen to my beloved Bills on the radio. While riding my motorcycle.

Bang ! I miss the days of having a commish with a back-bone. Goodell must go. A lot of issues have popped up on his watch...because he is a wuss and can be taken advantage of by the political interest groups. Dont matter to me. I'm done with the NFL anyway but I'll still listen to my beloved Bills on the radio. While riding my motorcycle.

As long as you stay a Bills fan jaybee thats what matters to me. NFL drives me nuts too.

By the way how do you not wreck your bike when you MUST yell at the radio announcers , The Bills during the game , and any one else within earshot ?

Us regular folks can throw pretzels at the TV. No harm no foul .

How would you handle a wide right ? Get off the bike and punt a squirrel :cry:

Edited by 3rdand12

As long as you stay a Bills fan jaybee thats what matters to me. NFL drives me nuts too.

By the way how do you not wreck your bike when you MUST yell at the radio announcers , The Bills during the game , and any one else within earshot ?

Us regular folks can throw pretzels at the TV. No harm no foul .

How would you handle a wide right ? Get off the bike and punt a squirrel :cry:

I have to pull over to to the side of the road quite a bit. LOL !!

I hate that question: "Can we trust Goodell?" What does that even mean? I'm sure he would like the Bills to stay in WNY, but so what? That ultimately means very little against possible economic realities, improving the league and the wishes of new ownership. Any or all of those may come into play.

Goodell works for the owners. His job is to support the agenda of the majority of the owners and keep those owners that stray in line. He's got other duties, but it mostly boils down to that. That's what we can trust him to do - support the agenda of the majority of owners.

I hate that question: "Can we trust Goodell?" What does that even mean? I'm sure he would like the Bills to stay in WNY, but so what? That ultimately means very little against possible economic realities, improving the league and the wishes of new ownership. Any or all of those may come into play.

Goodell works for the owners. His job is to support the agenda of the majority of the owners and keep those owners that stray in line. He's got other duties, but it mostly boils down to that. That's what we can trust him to do - support the agenda of the majority of owners.

> Goodell works for the owners. His job is to support the agenda of the majority of the owners . . .

This is true. However, his job is complicated by the fact that the owners have become divided into two philosophical groups. For want of better terms, I'll call these the "traditional group"--think the late Wellington Mara--and the "money-grubbing group"--think Jerry Jones. Over the last decade, the money-grubbing group has gained ground. Ticket prices have gone up considerably. There is more--and more annoying--television advertising than there'd been ten years ago. The NFL has become more active in other attempts to part fans from their cash. Stadiums have often lost their traditional names; replaced by the names of corporate sponsors. Instead of football games during usual NFL times only, there are now a lot more games on Thursday nights or other non-standard times.

The fans expect two things from the NFL. 1) A reasonable quantity of entertainment for the amount of time or money invested. 2) They expect the NFL to respect its own traditions. If the NFL doesn't respect its own traditions, why should the fans?

If the NFL doesn't provide the fan with these two things, there will be a backlash. Former NFL fans will find non-football-related ways of entertaining themselves. The money grubbing group wants to squeeze the goose that lays the golden eggs. Sure, they might extract a little more gold in the short-term. But what does that do to the long-term health of the goose?

Goodell is not necessarily in an enviable position here. He's best off if he maintains the trust of both groups of owners. On the other hand, the long-term future of the NFL could be seriously altered if the money grubbing group continues to get too much of what they want. There needs to be a balance between the wishes of the money-grubbing group, the wishes of the traditional group, and the interests of the fans.

Goodell is not in a position to stand up to the money grubbing owners. That job is the responsibility of the rest of the owners; not of Goodell. But what Goodell can do is look for compromise solutions--solutions which get the money-grubbing owners the money they want; while showing more respect for NFL fans and NFL traditions than the money grubbing owners would, if left to their own devices. The most we as fans can hope for from Goodell--or from any NFL commissioner for that matter--is to search for these compromise solutions, and to try to persuade the owners to accept them.

> Goodell works for the owners. His job is to support the agenda of the majority of the owners . . .

This is true. However, his job is complicated by the fact that the owners have become divided into two philosophical groups. For want of better terms, I'll call these the "traditional group"--think the late Wellington Mara--and the "money-grubbing group"--think Jerry Jones. Over the last decade, the money-grubbing group has gained ground. Ticket prices have gone up considerably. There is more--and more annoying--television advertising than there'd been ten years ago. The NFL has become more active in other attempts to part fans from their cash. Stadiums have often lost their traditional names; replaced by the names of corporate sponsors. Instead of football games during usual NFL times only, there are now a lot more games on Thursday nights or other non-standard times.

Seeing as you point out that MAra is dead, he hardly can influence the Commissioner at this point. His successors, however, (along with the owner of the Jets) built a ridiculous stadium (the most expensive ever) and soaked loyal, long time season ticket holders for for massive PSL fees---that today trade for only a fraction of what the original owners (now sellers) paid for them.

There is no non "money-grubbing" group of owners in the NFL.

Goodell comes from a very political family, down in Jamestown. His late Father was Charlie Goodell Senator.

Furthermore, his cousin Andy was the County Executive in Chautauqua County, and now he's a Assemblyman for Chautauqua County.

I have asked this question as few times, and received no answer, but I will ask again... Shortly after Ralph wilson's passing, Goodell offered his verbal support to the Bills staying in WNY. Along with that statement he said something to the effect of "the Bills need a new, modern facility, to insure their profitability and their future in WNY". My question has been, when he says "needs", is he speaking in platitudes? Or, is he implying that a local ownership won't be approved by the owners (his bosses), unless a new stadium is part of the deal? His remarks, along with Gov Cuomos, and now John Wawrow's cryptic comment, have me asking, "stayin?"

Edited by Buftex

I have asked this question as few times, and received no answer, but I will ask again... Shortly after Ralph wilson's passing, Goodell offered his verbal support to the Bills staying in WNY. Along with that statement he said something to the effect of "the Bills need a new, modern facility, to insure their profitability and their future in WNY". My question has been, when he says "needs", is he speaking in platitudes? Or, is he implying that a local ownership won't be approved by the owners (his bosses), unless a new stadium is part of the deal? His remarks, along with Gov Cuomos, and now John Wawrow's cryptic comment, have me asking, "stayin?"

I think that whether or not Goodell wants the Bills to stay, or leave, he would have said exactly the same thing. If he had known the Bills would stay, or leave, he would have said exactly the same thing. In offering his verbal support to the Bills staying in WNY, what he is really saying is, "let's keep selling tickets, and air time, and not let the franchise devalue before it gets sold."

I get that...but what I am asking, is a new stadium the only way the team stays in WNY? From what Cuomo has said, twice now, it certainly sounds like the stadium issue is part of a discussion that we are not privy to.

The fans expect two things from the NFL. 1) A reasonable quantity of entertainment for the amount of time or money invested. 2) They expect the NFL to respect its own traditions. If the NFL doesn't respect its own traditions, why should the fans?

If the NFL doesn't provide the fan with these two things, there will be a backlash. Former NFL fans will find non-football-related ways of entertaining themselves. The money grubbing group wants to squeeze the goose that lays the golden eggs. Sure, they might extract a little more gold in the short-term. But what does that do to the long-term health of the goose?

Goodell is not necessarily in an enviable position here. He's best off if he maintains the trust of both groups of owners. On the other hand, the long-term future of the NFL could be seriously altered if the money grubbing group continues to get too much of what they want. There needs to be a balance between the wishes of the money-grubbing group, the wishes of the traditional group, and the interests of the fans.

Goodell is not in a position to stand up to the money grubbing owners. That job is the responsibility of the rest of the owners; not of Goodell. But what Goodell can do is look for compromise solutions--solutions which get the money-grubbing owners the money they want; while showing more respect for NFL fans and NFL traditions than the money grubbing owners would, if left to their own devices. The most we as fans can hope for from Goodell--or from any NFL commissioner for that matter--is to search for these compromise solutions, and to try to persuade the owners to accept them.

I agree with what you wrote. My only additional point is that the money-focused owners are the way forward. Virtually every new owner will be cut from that cloth because this is a billionaire's game now. Eventually all of the old school owners will phase out.

I agree with what you wrote. My only additional point is that the money-focused owners are the way forward. Virtually every new owner will be cut from that cloth because this is a billionaire's game now. Eventually all of the old school owners will phase out.

While I agree that is the direction, it's going to take some time given there are still quite a few families running teams -- I also think the NFL values diversity of ownership -- hopefully they will have enough self awareness to never get to full of themselves as well -- which could be an issue