Can we trust Roger Goodell?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some posters are worried because the meeting was public. I believe those same posters would be worried because it was private too. I mean why keep it a secrete? What do they have to hide? Why not meet in public so everyone will know that they are meeting so as to not go behind the fans back. Relax people. It's just a meeting!

To be clear -- I'd be mad if they met in private, too. The point I'm making on the meeting being in public is that it shows poor judgment by Goodell. It would be equally poor judgment to meet with Pegula in public and cast the impression he was picking a favorite in the process and not meeting with Golisano or Trump -- in this case, it's worse because he is meeting with a member of a group who clearly wants to buy team and move it --- it's bad PR and a bush league move -- RG should no better ---

To answer the OP, trusting anyone in a position of political power is irrational.

Every uttered word for public consumption may have intent behind it and frankly you don't get to the top of large organization without knowing how to maneuver.

We know it's publicilally stated there is interest in keeping the bills in buffalo. That's as good as saying nothing at all.

To be clear -- I'd be mad if they met in private, too. The point I'm making on the meeting being in public is that it shows poor judgment by Goodell. It would be equally poor judgment to meet with Pegula in public and cast the impression he was picking a favorite in the process and not meeting with Golisano or Trump -- in this case, it's worse because he is meeting with a member of a group who clearly wants to buy team and move it --- it's bad PR and a bush league move -- RG should no better ---
Good lord....it was a business meeting. How is that "bush league" in your opinion? As much as Goodell has stated that he wants to keep the Bills in WNY, he is still employed by the league as the Commissioner. He has an obligation to the owners to flesh out all angles of the parties potentially involved in this transaction. Whether such meetings take place in public or behind closed doors does not negate the necessity of having them and certainly has no bearing on the professionalism of the persons involved. The best we can hope for as fans is that our concerns to keep the team in WNY are given the utmost careful consideration. Edited by DerekJ

Poor judgment how? At best JBJ could be a minority owner. But maybe he isn't even pursuing the Bills. We, as fans, have no idea who's received what in regards of the sale of the Bills. As of right now we know Pegula and Trump have received the NDA, maybe JBJ is meeting to see what he can do in the future to become a part of an ownership group. Maybe the meeting is public BECAUSE he ISN'T part of an ownership bid on the Bills. It doesn't always have to have a negative spin.

Bush league? It is my understanding that people who deal in billion dollar acquisitions frequently have lunch/dinner meetings. They were not meeting in the shadows discussing how to !@#$ over Bills fans. Simply business as usual.

You're welcome. Please let me know if I can provide any further help.

Well now that you mention it. Please sell to Pegula and make sure he signs a 100 year "iron clad" deal to stay in WNY. Thank you.

You're welcome. Please let me know if I can provide any further help.

Sure, return the NFL Draft to it's original 2 day format.

Having it during the week is a burden on some of us, and making it a 4 day event is lame.

Since we "the fans" are so important to the draft's success, then how about helping us out with making it strictly a weekend event?

Sure, return the NFL Draft to it's original 2 day format.

Having it during the week is a burden on some of us, and making it a 4 day event is lame.

Since we "the fans" are so important to the draft's success, then how about helping us out with making it strictly a weekend event?

Actually Mark, our research showed that many of our fans were unable to watch the draft when it was a weekend-only event so our change to the new format opened up the opportunity for many more fans to participate. That has been verified by the increased ratings since the change.

We understand that no matter when the draft is held some fans may have conflicts, which is why we've worked hard to make the draft a multi-media event, making it possible for fans to access draft coverage through means other than television.

We appreciate your continued support.

So what's the problem here? That Goodell had lunch with JBJ?

Goodell is the NFL commissioner and as such having meetings with potential owners is part of his job.

It is not his decision as to who the next owner of the Bills will be.

Non-issue.

100% agreed....

but I still don't trust Goodell! :ph34r:

Actually Mark, our research showed that many of our fans were unable to watch the draft when it was a weekend-only event so our change to the new format opened up the opportunity for many more fans to participate. That has been verified by the increased ratings since the change.

We understand that no matter when the draft is held some fans may have conflicts, which is why we've worked hard to make the draft a multi-media event, making it possible for fans to access draft coverage through means other than television.

We appreciate your continued support.

Fine, then as a gesture to the fans who support the NFL Draft by attending it, how about granting permanent status to the Day 3 Diehards, soon to be Day 4 Diehards.

Some of us who travel hundreds to thousands of miles away to be a part of this event and enjoy being amongst other fans who want to experience it live, wish to continue doing so.

Yet sometimes there are things that come up that prevent us from attending, and because of that a Day 3 Diehard's status is lost forever.

Now that you wish to take the NFL Draft on the road, that is going to really cut into the Diehards, as some just will not have the means to travel and therefore lose their VIP status.

There are only just over 100 of us left, and the draft draws thousands of fans. Is it asking too much that the fans who helped make the draft as popular as it's become, be given a chance to continue to have that opportunity?

Good lord....it was a business meeting. How is that "bush league" in your opinion? As much as Goodell has stated that he wants to keep the Bills in WNY, he is still employed by the league as the Commissioner. He has an obligation to the owners to flesh out all angles of the parties potentially involved in this transaction. Whether such meetings take place in public or behind closed doors does not negate the necessity of having them and certainly has no bearing on the professionalism of the persons involved. The best we can hope for as fans is that our concerns to keep the team in WNY are given the utmost careful consideration.

Poor judgment how? At best JBJ could be a minority owner. But maybe he isn't even pursuing the Bills. We, as fans, have no idea who's received what in regards of the sale of the Bills. As of right now we know Pegula and Trump have received the NDA, maybe JBJ is meeting to see what he can do in the future to become a part of an ownership group. Maybe the meeting is public BECAUSE he ISN'T part of an ownership bid on the Bills. It doesn't always have to have a negative spin.

Bush league? It is my understanding that people who deal in billion dollar acquisitions frequently have lunch/dinner meetings. They were not meeting in the shadows discussing how to !@#$ over Bills fans. Simply business as usual.

Well now that you mention it. Please sell to Pegula and make sure he signs a 100 year "iron clad" deal to stay in WNY. Thank you.

You guys are naive if you think the meeting with Goodell was a simple "business meeting", you are blind if you think it's a done deal the team stays in WNY and you are crazy if you think having the meeting in public was coincidence or accident -- he had it in public, because he wanted people to know he was meeting with JBJ -- why ? -- I don't know --- worst case, he's trying to help him get the team -- best case, he's trying to send some type of message to other bidders --- either way, I don't think it's the commissioner's place to put himself in a position where, appearances would suggest he's working with a group that wants to move a franchise that is up for sale ---

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

You guys are naive if you think the meeting with Goodell was a simple "business meeting", you are blind if you think it's a done deal the team stays in WNY and you are crazy if you think having the meeting in public was coincidence or accident -- he had it in public, because he wanted people to know he was meeting with JBJ -- why ? -- I don't know --- worst case, he's trying to help him get the team -- best case, he's trying to send some type of message to other bidders --- either way, I don't think it's the commissioner's place to put himself in a position where, appearances would suggest he's working with a group that wants to move a franchise that is up for sale ---

So you are not sure what message Goodell was sending by having lunch with JBJ. But it was a bad idea that he did it. So i guess if Goodell did have a sneaky motive in mind, he didn't do a very good job getting his point across ... whatever that point was.