Can we trust Roger Goodell?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's the problem here? That Goodell had lunch with JBJ?

Goodell is the NFL commissioner and as such having meetings with potential owners is part of his job.

It is not his decision as to who the next owner of the Bills will be.

Non-issue.

Goodell is the NFL commissioner and as such having meetings with potential owners is part of his job.

Non-issue.

When is his meeting with Terry Pegula?

Non-issue.

This is true. Goodell could use his influence, but ultimately it's up to Mary Wilson and then the NFL Owners.

The Commissioner says he wants the Bils to stay in Buffalo, but is he talking out of both sides of his mouth?

http://pagesix.com/2...dst-bills-sale/?

This is a total non issue and it was already raised here: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/168508-bills-officially-for-sale-let-the-bidding-begin/page__st__120#entry3160595

Pretty much where I am. Curious he took such a public meeting. He knew it would be in the media.

I wouldnt be shocked if they had a silent deal to expand to Toronto later this decade.... but they do (as does the trust) want the Toronto group(s) to bid in good faith as it will drive up the price as well as all the other franchises' worth

And Goodell would want that boogeyman public. Also adds urgency to the stadium cause

Edited by May Day 10

Probably as soon as Mr. Pegula requests one.

CodeMonkey, we all know it's not Goodell's desicion who the next owner of the Bills will be. But if you are so naive as to think He doesn't weild great influence over the owners, who will approve or not approve of all this, then you're very foolish.

CodeMonkey, we all know it's not Goodell's desicion who the next owner of the Bills will be. But if you are so naive as to think He doesn't weild great influence over the owners, who will approve or not approve of all this, then you're very foolish.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that Goodell worked for the owners, not the other way around (for example he is the CEO and the owners are the board of directors).

And I would imagine the owners take his advice very seriously or he would not have been appointed commissioner.

But I'm not sure how any of that is relevant to him having a lunch meeting with JBJ or Pegula or anyone else.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I wouldnt be shocked if they had a silent deal to expand to Toronto later this decade.... but they do (as does the trust) want the Toronto group(s) to bid in good faith as it will drive up the price as well as all the other franchises' worth

And Goodell would want that boogeyman public. Also adds urgency to the stadium cause

I'm with you. They don't meet in public to actually discuss anything. They meet in public to create a stir. This is like how LA is more valuable to the league as a threat for a move instead of an actual move.

I personally believe, and I am not an expert by any means, but the very special 501c6 non-profit status the NFL enjoys (which is unlike any of the other sports leagues, as discussed elsewhere on this board) would be a SIGNIFICANT hurdle to overcome for a franchise to either relocate or be created in Canada. It could even be looked at as a good reason why a Canadian NFL franchise doesn't exist yet. I don't think a city the size of Toronto (4th largest metro area in N. America) all of the sudden popped up on the NFL's radar screen in the last few years. Every other sports league has had a presence in Canada for the last 25+ years at minimum (NBA) to 100+ years (NHL).

Again, I don't pretend to be an expert. But I think there are some serious challenges to the NFL having a team in Canada. But the perception that a team could be relocated there is enough to get the public in a tizzy.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that Goodell worked for the owners, not the other way around (for example he is the CEO and the owners are the board of directors).

And I would imagine the owners take his advice very seriously or he would not have been appointed commissioner.

But I'm not sure how any of that is relevant to him having a lunch meeting with JBJ or Pegula or anyone else.

Well, think it through. Why would he meet with JBJ? Maybe he's expalining to JBJ that he has very little chance to pull the Bills away from WNY. Maybe he could be explaining to him what it would take to secure the Bills for the JBJ group.It's all speculation of course. This is why my topic asked the question: "Can we trust him"........all opinions should be welcome

When is his meeting with Terry Pegula?

Mr. Goodell is already very familiar with Mr. Pegula'a credentials. (bank balance)

Anyone consider Goodell is just a fan of JBJ?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Well, think it through. Why would he meet with JBJ? Maybe he's expalining to JBJ that he has very little chance to pull the Bills away from WNY. Maybe he could be explaining to him what it would take to secure the Bills for the JBJ group.It's all speculation of course. This is why my topic asked the question: "Can we trust him"........all opinions should be welcome

Probably because JBJ asked for one, for whatever reason. All opinions are welcome, mine is that this lunch meeting is 100% a non issue.

Non-issue.

Don't kid yourself - Goodell will be a key player. Whatever owner/group is to get the green light from the owners, Goodell's role will be to line up the support, lobby the owners, work with the buyer to tweak proposals, etc. He plays a key role. I am not going to panic by his out of process meeting with one potential owner, but he can certainly steer this process, and I would not discount back room maneuvering and helping one or another group in the process that he thinks might best represent the needs and desires of the NFL.

And no, I do not trust him, to answer the original poster's question.

LOL It's accounting lingo (I took two years of accounting and hated it). Since this topic was already covered in two different threads FIFO means "First IN first OUT"

The article was covered...the question can we trust Roger Goodell was not. And not everyone has the time to go thru every page of every post. Why do people here get theit panties in such a bunch over mentioning topics more than once...LOL..

In that case I retract it ;)

too late .. :nana:

The article was covered...the question can we trust Roger Goodell was not. And not everyone has the time to go thru every page of every post. Why do people here get theit panties in such a bunch over mentioning topics more than once...LOL..

IN...that topic has already been covered as well. :D

Goodell has influence, how much and with how many owners depends on the topic. In this case, if it's a close vote, he could make a difference -- if Pegs wins the bid, I think it's a no brainer he gets approved -- however, if Trump gets bid, the vote would be a lot closer and where Goodell sides might make a difference -- same with JBJ/Tannebaum or Rogers --- in the end, I don't like it. A public meeting sends the wrong message to WNY fans -- it looks bad and he should have had enough smarts to meet in private or by phone --- again, how big a deal it is, I don't know ---

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Some posters are worried because the meeting was public. I believe those same posters would be worried because it was private too. I mean why keep it a secrete? What do they have to hide? Why not meet in public so everyone will know that they are meeting so as to not go behind the fans back. Relax people. It's just a meeting!

He had lunch with Bon Jovi because Bon Jovi is a rock star and most everyone is enamored to some degree with rock stars. Bon Jovi has no money to be an NFL owner and is just a figurehead anyway. I'm sure he's serious about it and I'm sure he can put together a group like the Rogers group but he is not going to be an NFL owner. Frankly, I don't know why anyone with a billion dollars who what's to own an nfl team would want him there taking all the glory. The nfl is going to vet that guy, not Bon Jovi and that guy will have all say.

Look, maybe the Roger Goodell and Mary Wilson want the Bills to stay in Buffalo, maybe they don't. It's all speculation. What I do know is neither of those parties wants to slam the door on Toronto (or any other location) before bidding starts. That would reduce the number of bidders, and in turn reduce the sale price. It's that simple. All we can do is hope these people have the good fans of Buffalo in mind.

I get that Goodell would "take a meeting" with JBJ if requested -- but tell me the value for Goodell to have that meeting in public ? what's he to gain, in my mind, that's poor judgment on the commish's part ---

The fact that they met publicly makes me feel more comfortable than knowing or not knowing they had a closed door meeting.