C.J. Mosley or Khalil Mack

1.) Which one would you rather have? Is it even close?

2.) If we do pick one of these players at #9, and we do have 2 elite linebackers; with our current defense, bringing everybody back, is it one of the best in the NFL? I feel with another linebacker that can solidify the run and rush the passer, our defense has 0 holes, save maybe another DB or two for depth, but not because we need them starting.

I personally feel offenses would hate going against our defense in this scenario and feel if we had a defense that could consistently hold offenses under 20 pts/game, (save New England, because I haven't witnessed a defense to date to be able to consistently hold a Bill Belichick offense under 20 pts) we would win a lot more games than we would lose.

Mack. I feel he is more talented. He can stop the run, rush the passer and drop in coverage. Also he was the focal point of every offense he faced and still dominated

This. Mack is certainly the more gifted of the 2. Mosley is a solid player on a great defense that has had a good career. Mack is better vs. the run, in coverage and rushing the passer. There isn't anything that Mosley does better than Mack IMO. I really don't think that it is all that close. With that being said I do not think that Mack slips to 9. If the Bills want Mosley (a good player) I would rather trade down to like 15. Mack and Watkins would be my targets at 9.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

2.) If we do pick one of these players at #9, and we do have 2 elite linebackers; with our current defense, bringing everybody back, is it one of the best in the NFL? I feel with another linebacker that can solidify the run and rush the passer, our defense has 0 holes, save maybe another DB or two for depth, but not because we need them starting.

I personally feel offenses would hate going against our defense in this scenario and feel if we had a defense that could consistently hold offenses under 20 pts/game, (save New England, because I haven't witnessed a defense to date to be able to consistently hold a Bill Belichick offense under 20 pts) we would win a lot more games than we would lose.

Neither.

While you try to plug every leak more leaks will emerge.

Drafting ILB's, safeties and RB's in round one is a generally poor use of a first round pick.

The Bills aren't a winning team, they shouldn't be in patch mode on draft day.

If you can't find quality LB talent after round one then your scouts just plain stink.

Round 1 is for franchise building blocks.....not guys you are going to let walk in free agency after 4 seasons if they play well.

Well i am not sure either at # 9 considering what type of player we need next to Alonso and the value of that player..

I prefer Mack on the Team though .

Lets keep in mind, Shwaatz and the new LB coach, and what they want in the position ?

Weo. Damn you man .

Neither.

While you try to plug every leak more leaks will emerge.

Drafting ILB's, safeties and RB's in round one is a generally poor use of a first round pick.

The Bills aren't a winning team, they shouldn't be in patch mode on draft day.

If you can't find quality LB talent after round one then your scouts just plain stink.

Round 1 is for franchise building blocks.....not guys you are going to let walk in free agency after 4 seasons if they play well.

Mack's not an ILB, he's a pass rusher and the superior talent.

I'd pass on Mosley. I agree, you don't take an ILB that high, unless he's super special.

I'm not so sure if either player is worth #9 overall.

I know every individual is different but there is such a long track record of 'Bama and LSU defenders being so-so in the NFL and not living up to their premium draft position.

… cough … cough … Dareus … cough … cough … Sheppard. … cough … cough.

At this point, I'd be hard pressed to pick one if the two if I had to choose.

Flip a coin.

I'm not so sure if either player is worth #9 overall.

I know every individual is different but there is such a long track record of 'Bama and LSU defenders being so-so in the NFL and not living up to their premium draft position.

… cough … cough … Dareus … cough … cough … Sheppard. … cough … cough.

At this point, I'd be hard pressed to pick one if the two if I had to choose.

Flip a coin.

Why does everyone rip on Dareus so much. His play was up and down this year but he's still very young and at times he was dominant. In addition, he made the Pro Bowl this year as a replacement. I think we could do a lot worse than him and his ceiling still hasn't been reached yet.

Mack's not an ILB, he's a pass rusher and the superior talent.

I'd pass on Mosley. I agree, you don't take an ILB that high, unless he's super special.

True, I wouldn't draft a 4-3 OLB that high either.

The game can be narrowed down to two key factors:

Offense: Quarterback play

Defense: Pass rush

I am really not sure what Mack is going to bring to the table. I saw four of his games this year and the more I saw him the less impressed I was. No doubt he has the athleticism and frame you want in a 3-4 OLB but for the most part he was slow off the ball and technique was non-existent.

Where he would fit in a Schwartz defense......usually 4-3 based.......I don't know but I certainly don't see him as a DE.

Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson :D

Simply because if the Bills don't address the O line in a big way this off season it will be another year in the Bills offense leading the league in 3 downs and out, most hits in the QB, most sacks. So it won't matter how many #1 draft picks are on that defense if it can't get off the field.

Mostly because in the first quarter the defense will get a bunch of stops. But by the fourth quarter they are so worn down from constantly being on the field they will be a sieve.

I wouldn't be against drafting Mack as I have him as my avatar. Its just that if the Bills don't fix that O line for once and for all I just don't see them winning many games again this year.

You know I'm a big UB fan and I was touting Mack all year. But I was disappointed in Mack in his last two big games, BG and SDSU. Those teams totally neutralized him.

I suppose that can happen when no one else on your team can step up. But still it gives me pause, like seeing Manti Te'o turn invisable against Alabama.

PTR

You know I'm a big UB fan and I was touting Mack all year. But I was disappointed in Mack in his last two big games, BG and SDSU. Those teams totally neutralized him.

I suppose that can happen when no one else on your team can step up. But still it gives me pause, like seeing Manti Te'o turn invisable against Alabama.

PTR

Te'o wasn't horrible this year though. Maybe not diamond in the rough production, but not a bust either. But he didn't go nearly as high as Mack is predicted.

PTR

In with you on this.

And it was two big games that he didn't show up.

It just doesn't seem like a good idea at #9 overall.

Especially with the o-line, WR and TE talent on the board.

Hope fully they can trade back and pick up another second again.

PTR

Almost any great player can be neutralized if the opposing team is willing to expend extra resources to prioritize taking him out of the game. Who else on that UB team is even considered draft worthy....exactly!

Mack is projected to be a top 10 pick, and rightfully so. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

Almost any great player can be neutralized if the opposing team is willing to expend extra resources to prioritize taking him out of the game. Who else on that UB team is even considered draft worthy....exactly!

Mack is projected to be a top 10 pick, and rightfully so. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

Don't be surprised if he falls if he doesn't have a good combine and pro day.

GO BILLS!!!

PTR

Those teams double teamed Mack and chipped him with the backs. Sorry that other players on defense couldn't benefit from the fact.

Mack over Mosley head to head...Though Mosley may be a better fit for The Bills needs in 2014...

IMHO...The Bills will not Draft either LB...I think they're going Offense all the way...Evans, Ebron, maybe even a small trade down for Benjamin, or one of the top OT's... B-)

Those teams double teamed Mack and chipped him with the backs. Sorry that other players on defense couldn't benefit from the fact.

Beyond Mack there was no one on UB's D. So I'll give a benefit of the doubt. But skipping the Senior Bowl was a bad idea IMO. Two sub par games to end your career then turn down a Senior Bowl invite? I don't like it.

PTR

Don't be surprised if he falls if he doesn't have a good combine and pro day.

GO BILLS!!!

Hmm-hmm, and weren't you the one who thought Pettine wouldn't even get an interview, much less be hired as a HC?

While I don't abide by the thought that Rang has in thinking that Mack could be a dark horse #1 overall pick. I do think he will be long gone before the Bills pick at #9.

"Some even view him as a dark horse candidate for the Texans at No. 1 overall."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/24424927/big-board-rise-of-linebacker-mack-reaches-no-5----or-no-1

Hmm-hmm, and weren't you the one who thought Pettine wouldn't even get an interview, much less be hired as a HC?

While I don't abide by the thought that Rang has in thinking that Mack could be a dark horse #1 overall pick. I do think he will be long gone before the Bills pick at #9.

"Some even view him as a dark horse candidate for the Texans at No. 1 overall."

http://www.cbssports...no-5----or-no-1

Couldn't have been more wrong about Pettine if I tried.

I didn't have pro scouts advising me on Pettine's chances of becoming the 6th candidate for the Cleveland job, though.

Before this turns into some pro vs. anti Mack thread, I'm rooting for the kid and hope he does well. Just saying there are questions about his explosiveness off the ball. People argued with me about T'eo and Curry as well when I posted similar information.

GO BILLS!!!

#13 FeartheLosing said it best - OL must be addressed. Spiller tackled n the backfield, no push from the OL, EJ sacked...all starts up front. Must draft OT and LG or go big in FA. If I had to pick between the two, I think Mack is a better local story and hopes he does well in the NFL. I wouldn't pick either at 9.

Beyond Mack there was no one on UB's D. So I'll give a benefit of the doubt. But skipping the Senior Bowl was a bad idea IMO. Two sub par games to end your career then turn down a Senior Bowl invite? I don't like it.

PTR

I was disappointed too that Mack skipped the Senior Bowl.

Having said that, I do like him as a player and I would pick him over Mosley.

So he was double teamed and chipped all season long?

Sorry buddy that is no excuse.

I watched the games he didn't show up.

I'm going to buck the trend: Mosley, though I really am not sure if we need either of them.

When people first started talking up the "Mack to the Bills" prediction on draft sites I kept hearing the same thing: "Wow, he'll be such a great fit for Mike Pettine's multiple defense, and the Bills haven't done anything to help the pass rush!"

The second half was rage inducing all on its own (second most in the league in stats, with over 20 coming from our DE's), but let's deal with the first. Pettine is gone. While Schwartz is not likely to abandon the "attack" mentality there is definitely going to be a change in approach.

While Mack is a pretty versatile, but his role is as a pass rusher. While it would be nice to have depth, you don't spend a first round pick on your third stringer. That's for the later rounds when you sometimes get lucky and very often don't.

When you get down to it, one stat of the Bills defense really stands out: yards per rushing attempt. A lot of that can be laid at the feet of a heavy dose of nickel and 4-1-6 dime formations, Kiko does have to work on his tackling. I can think of some memorable plays where we whiffed at the point of contact, with it going for a big gain. (the 80 yard touchdown run for example) and often the running back would drag him backwards for extra yards. If there is something I would fix on this defense (assuming that terms are met with Byrd) it would be acquiring a 4-3 weakside linebacker or MLB and then move Kiko over to WLB like they intended when Buddy drafted him.

Apart from giving up third down conversions and the run game, what else is out of place for next season? DT? Kyle Williams and Dareus went in for 17 sacks I believe and went to the Pro Bowl. Pass rusher? Again, another Pro Bowler with Mario Williams with 13 sacks and a fantastic situation rusher with Jerry Hughes, Alan Branch and Manny Lawson were both solid, though not electrifying free agency grabs and run DE and SLB respectively. Kiko was absolutely robbed of DROY and will be a stud in years to come. Byrd showed why we should pay him the money and Aaron Williams, out of nowhere suddenly showed a knack for being all over the field as a safety and somehow turned the corner (so to speak) when he was placed back as a CB. Gilmore looked alright after fully healing and, in a true shocker, McKelvin actually stepped up.

I challenge everyone to mention a position on defense, where the starter underperformed more than at weakside linebacker. If we think that Mack would be a better fit there than Mosley, then go ahead, but people seem to be picking him for all the wrong reasons.

Of course, I'm holding out hope for Borland in round 3!

What? No Anthony Barr?

Should be considered also. again not at nine though.

Even though Buddy NEVER trades down , this might be a good year to accept that collect phone call !

add Borland and Bullough . There are some nice options to improve the LBs as a whole throughout the draft . I think

Edited by 3rdand12

Im pretty sure we wont be a 3-4 hybrid anymore so Moesley is a no and Spikes is a no.

Moesley is overrated anyway. Watch his film. Those LBs benefit from having a few monster D linemen that just annihilate the other team's o line.

Its Watkins in RD 1 or Evans. Period.

Skove RD 2 Kiko goes to WLB

Mettenberger RD 3

If I had to choose between the two...Mack ..little bigger ,more explosive. I still think it should be a QB . I`m not feeling it ,with EJ.

Me too. But we all should know that it wont be. For so many reasons.

Since it wont be, I guess it should be whatever will help us evaluate EJ to make a definitive decision. Since (sigh) we arent winning the superbowl this year no matter what. So go ahead and get him some protection or some toys.

Its a QB league. My sig notwithstanding, I am not feeling EJ so far. We need a QB. bottom line.

PTR

Thank you for being honest with that evaluation. That makes me a little hesitant to want Mack in the first. I am one of those who believes you do not take a LB, RB, or Safety in the first unless you feel confident he can be the next great one at that position for 10years, Patrick Willis, A Peterson, T. Polamalu.

I think the Bills need to go OL or WR.

Should be considered also. again not at nine though.

Even though Buddy NEVER trades down , this might be a good year to accept that collect phone call !

add Borland and Bullough . There are some nice options to improve the LBs as a whole throughout the draft . I think

trading down and getting Ebon or another TE, then Borland and Bullough would be fantastic.

Would love to get Robinson, then Boreland in Rd. 2, BPA after that. TE I'd take a gamble on the Oregon TE who got kicked off the team in the 7th. (can't recall his name right now..Colt something).