What Is The Stat We Will Need To Win?

boyst

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sudfeld is turning out to be a suitable replacement for the Bubble Gum Bandit (Hernandez). That being said, our ability to cover TE's with Alonso or Bradham. Last year we were horrible (Barnett had some tired legs)...this year, I'm hoping Pettine changes it up with either MLB or Safeties covering the TE's. So, I would say our MLB pass coverage is the key. Brady will be looking for quick dump off passes or slants to TE's. If we stop that (to some degree), we win.

For the Bills to win multiple, phases of the game will need to favor them. In addition to those above, they must eliminate penalties. We were a penalty machine this preseason and that has to stop..

Edited by Spiderweb

For the Bills to win multiple, phases of the game will need to favor them. In addition to those above, they must eliminate penalties. We were a penalty machine this preseason and that has to stop..

Meh - I hear you on penalties that kill drives but I wouldn't mind a defensive penalty here or there if it results in scaring Brady that are indeed not afraid to put him on the ground.

It's all on the defense this game.

They need to be able to stop the Pats rushing attack without committing extra defender in the box which will allow them to drop an extra defender back in coverage to help create the requisite turnovers required to pull off the upset.

I'm gonna go with two stats; one for each team.

1. We need to win the turnover war.

2. Brady needs to be inaccurate (due to pressure); so I'm saying we need his completion % to be below 50.

Go Bills!

Sacks. If Bills have 5 sacks or more, we will win.

3-4 sacks will mean a close game.

< 3 sacks = big loss.

The obvious reason I say this is that sacks = pressure. Brady has to be pressured else he will eat you alive.

I don't think that's necessarily true. You can get a lot of pressure and knock Brady around without having a high sack total. Consistent pressure is going to be much more important than total number of sacks.

I don't think that's necessarily true. You can get a lot of pressure and knock Brady around without having a high sack total. Consistent pressure is going to be much more important than total number of sacks.

I don't disagree with that but the point of this thread was to ask what "stat" would be revealing. Since pressure is not USUALLY measured after a game is over, I chose sacks as the measure.

I don't disagree with that but the point of this thread was to ask what "stat" would be revealing. Since pressure is not USUALLY measured after a game is over, I chose sacks as the measure.

Oh no, I totally understand that. I wasn't jumping on you or anything.

I'm gonna go with two stats; one for each team.

1. We need to win the turnover war.

2. Brady needs to be inaccurate (due to pressure); so I'm saying we need his completion % to be below 50.

Go Bills!

If I had to choose one stat, it would be % completion for Brady. If that percent is low, it means we are pressuring him and covering his targets. Also will allow us to devote extra resources to shutting down their run game.

Since we are running the no huddle it seems kind of silly to say Time of Possession but I feel if we can win this early, with the hurry up their defense will be shot shortly into the 3rd and we can take advantage. (I expect to be down by at least a TD at that point).

Edited by The Wiz

Since we are running the no huddle it seems kind of silly to say Time of Possession but I feel if we can win this early on with the hurry up, their defense will be shot shortly into the 3rd and we can take advantage. (I expect to be down by at least a TD at that point).

How about offensive plays run?

Turnovers? Sacks? Passing Yards? Rushing Yards? Other?

I have to believe it is going to be INT's. The only times we have beat Brady are when we can force him to throw INT"s.

No, you cannot say Touchdowns.

Aside from the obvious (EJ, Spiller, the OL), imo we need a huge game from Dareus. It's at the point where sadly, I don't expect one, and I am a huge Crimson Tide fan. I watched him in college and always liked the kid.

The thing is, if Dareus can dominate up the middle, it could very well be smooth sailing for Mario.

I know this isn't a stat, but it's the truth.

More points scored than given up

I'll be a little more specific. I think 30 is the magic number: keep them under 30, and score 30+. The Pats have averaged 40 ppg against the Bills over the past 6. You can't stop Brady, so holding the Pats to under 30 is the crucial number for the D. We'll see if EJ and the O can take care of their end....

Rushing yards. Hold them to less than 100 yards rushing and I'll take my chances with Kenbrell Thompkins, Danny Amendola and Zac Sudfield. I think our DTs are wildly overrated and this game will be a good test to prove or disprove that.